How Much Is Enough?

First, I have to say…It’s weigh-in day, and this week I’m ready.  I’ve been mindful of my food (tracking everything, eating fruits and veggies, dairy, etc.) and working out (almost daily) for the last 10 days, and I feel like I’m in a healthy groove again.  The scale should show a loss this evening because I have done what it takes to see to it that it will.  And speaking of healthy things we do, I’d like to discuss water intake.

I stopped drinking sodas in April of 2009.  And as I’ve said before, it’s one of the best things I’ve ever done for my body.  I’ve never been a coffee drinker either though I drink a latte from time to time, and I don’t drink tea or juice or hot chocolate (though I like all of them) on a regular basis either.  I drink water, and I don’t mind.

And when I feel like mixing things up, I drink sparkling mineral water.  (Daring, I know.)  So because I don’t drink anything else on a regular basis, I consume about 10 glasses of water per day.  Sometimes I drink more (like 16ish) and rarely drink less than 8 glasses which begs the question…

How much water should I really be drinking daily?

Like most things, it’s different for all of us. Weight Watchers thinks I should be drinking at least 6 while other ‘experts’ believe I should be drinking half of my body weight in ounces.  I’ll let someone else try to drink about 17 glasses of water everyday…Thanks.  I try to listen to my body, and on an average day 10 glasses seems like enough.

What do you think?  How much water do you drink on an average day?  Do you feel like you’re drinking enough, or should you be drinking more?

Melissa (@TheDailyMel)
    January 5, 2012 at 12:34 am

I have to admit that I’d gotten pretty lax about drinking plain water after Weight Watchers changed the “water” healthy guideline to “liquids” instead. It became very easy to fall into drinking water with Mio (yes, technically still water), Crystal Light, etc.

I’m taking part in a challenge with the Sisterhood of the Shrinking Jeans where we’re going through the 52 Small Actions book this year taking one action per week. No surprise really, but chapter 1 was all about drinking water. So, I’m back on the straight & narrow. My goal is to drink a minimum of 64 oz of plain water per day. I still give myself the luxury of my morning coffee and a glass of Mio or something from my SodaStream occasionally, too.

January 5, 2012 at 1:15 pm

52 small actions? That sounds awesome..I can’t wait to hear what some of the other actions are….

DesertNails8
    January 5, 2012 at 12:37 am

My nutrition teacher said the same thing about drinking half your body weight in water ounces. However, if one eats a lot of fresh vegetables and fruit, there is a good amount of water moisture that gets pulled out and used by the body. A friend of mine who grew up on an island believes you can tell a lot about your health by observing your .. um, shall I say .. output? So I guide myself by that. This time of year I drink about 2 quarts of water daily and during the 110s of summer (about 1 1/2 months of it) I have 3 1/2 quarts because just breathing air with a humidity of < 5 % you lose moisture and walking around in the heat causes a lot of sweat, okay just sitting causes sweat when it's that hot. (Nighttime lows then are 94 degrees). Included in my water count is lemony water, cucumber-y water, ginger tea, diluted green tea, 2 ounces unsweet. cran juice in a quart of water, minted water, water with a few raspberries thrown in, and so on. Do you flavor your water?

Princess Dieter
    January 5, 2012 at 12:54 am

When I was above 250 pounds, I tried that “16 to 17” glasses of water a day–an experiment–and it worked AMAZING. My appetite ratcheted down and, though for a couple months I was well acquainted with the toilet–no matter where I went, every 30 mins–it calmed down. With every 10 pounds loss, I began to scale back. Now, I do 10 to 12 glasses at 181 lbs.

I had a hard time getting in the 16+, but it was worth it. I’d do it again at that weight. It was eye-opening. Sometimes, a tip sounds insane…and works out. HAHAHAH. And others who did it the same time as me said it was a great appetite suppressor and eventual bloat reducer.

Now, it’s a habit. 4+ glasses with my 2 meals, and then some inbetween.

Don’t laugh. Might do you wonders. (Although anyone with kidney issues or with a condition requiring fluid restriction, naturally, shouldn’t even try.)

cee
    January 5, 2012 at 1:13 am

I drink 80-100 ounces of water a day, I love water and could drink more but I have heard of people actually drinking too much water and having complications. I am sure it is rare, but if something were going to happen, it would happen to me. My luck is that way. I am working on cutting the soda out…

Lisa
    January 5, 2012 at 2:03 am

I try to drink between 2-3 litres a day more if sweating – not sure what it is ounces wise.
    Good luck with weighin

Morgan
    January 5, 2012 at 2:11 am

I try to drink around 9 glasses of water a day. I find that I always hit a “water wall” as I call it, where I cannot consume another glass of water. I think it’s more psychological than anything, but I definitely know when I want to stop!

Cathy
    January 5, 2012 at 2:21 am

Having a teenager in the house, I’m sure I need to drink more. Lots more.

Oh, you mean water. 🙁

Seriously, I have found myself gradually weaning away from soda. It’s not like I planned it. I just don’t like paying $1.79 or more for soda at a restaurant when I can drink water for free. I still have an occasional diet soda, and when the barfies show up, there’s nothing that will stay down better than regular Vernors. (Yes, I said it. REGULAR. Not diet – that comes back up.)

But do I drink enough water? Absolutely not. One of the problems is that I’m a teacher. One of the few professions that doesn’t let me pee when I need to. So my serious drinking has to happen when I get home…in the sanctity of my closet…oh, water…uh, forget the sanctity part. I don’t want to drink too close to bedtime, so that gives me a solid 3 hours when I could be pounding the H2O.

I can’t imagine drinking 17 glasses of water a day. I’m sure it would be good for me, but I’d have to teach from the bathroom, and I’m pretty sure the board of education would frown on that.

Nan
      January 5, 2012 at 5:50 am

My daughter is a teacher (high school) and says the same thing; she has little if NO time to go to the bathroom except during her lunch (20 minutes). I actually like water and drink 6 or 7 cups a day if I am not going to be on the road. I also have a cup of coffee in the morning and one in the afternoon if I am at home. Occasionally I will drink a diet soda no caffeine in the evening when I am watching TV. I know green tea is supposed to raise your metabolism but I just am not a tea drinker- hot or iced.

January 6, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Hahaha, yes Cathy! Water! =)

PlumPetals
    January 5, 2012 at 4:31 am

I love my water as well – and much prefer it to any other sort of beverage out there. I try to drink at least 12 glasses of water/day and usually a bit more than that … a trainer once told me, if you’re feeling thirsty, then you’re already starting to become dehydrated – so that might be a measure to go by — don’t wait until you’re thirsty to drink water, just keep drinking 🙂

Maren
    January 5, 2012 at 6:10 am

My aim is for 1.5L a day (50 oz), I can’t do more than that :p

Cathy
    January 5, 2012 at 6:42 am

I am terrible at drinking water. It is the one healthy habit I consistently fail at, but I keep trying. 6 glasses for me would be a great day.

Cathy
    Twitter @HealthyBirch

Joanna
    January 5, 2012 at 6:55 am

This has always been a big question for me, but I got my answer from my trainer last year. He said that 60-80ozs of water each day was sufficient for someone who is pretty sedentary. When you work out, you should increase that amount to 80-100 ozs.

He also said that some people prefer to use 1/2 their body weight as a measurement – and that was fine – but not necessarily “required”. The main point he made was that when vigorous exercise was involved, you should up your intake by 20-40 ozs depending on how long you work out.

He told me that it is very possible for a person to get “water poisoning” in which a person drinks too much unfiltered water, and gets some kind of poisoning from the stuff in regular tap water – and that’s why filtered water is best.

At the end of the day, I think it’s one of those things that has no One Size Fits All method. You have to listen to your body. If you’re thirsty, like someone already mentioned, then you’re already getting dehydrated. I’m definitely no expert by any means, but it sounds to me like you’re drinking plenty of water.

January 6, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Sounds like I’m right on track..=)

Eliza
    January 5, 2012 at 7:05 am

I think you should drink what your body tells you to drink. If you’re consuming vegetables and fruits, they contain water too. I know I have days that I only drink 2 or 3 glasses…then other days where I consume over 10 glasses of water. For me, it depends on my food intake.

January 6, 2012 at 8:46 pm

I do consume fruits and veggies too so you’re right..it’s counts too…

Jill
    January 5, 2012 at 8:07 am

I definitely don’t drink enough. It’s not even that I replace water with juice, soda, etc. I just don’t drink much. Every now and again I try to take in more water, but it’s always a hard thing for me because I’m just not used to it. I wish it were easy for me, but it’s not. Thanks for reminding me that I need to be doing more of this!

Sabrina
    January 5, 2012 at 8:41 am

I don’t drink enough water. 80 onces a day would be my goal. But it’s tough working in retail sometimes.

Ashley
    January 5, 2012 at 9:33 am

I love water so my normal is 100+ ounces everyday. It makes me feel better when I drink alot but going to the bathroom every 30 minutes isn’t ideal 🙂

Katie
    January 5, 2012 at 9:42 am

I have one of those plastic Starbucks cups with the green straw in the largest size. I am not sure how many ounces it holds but I usually drink two of those a day with regular tap water. I also have taken to pouring in about a third of a bottle of vitamin water and mixing it with sparkling water for a “treat.” Over the holidays I got tired of water while everyone else had cocktails so I made my own pregnancy cocktail :0). I don’t like how much sugar is in one bottle of vitamin water so I spread it out over three days with the sparkling water. I feel like it helps me get a little bit extra hydration. I have heard that being dehydrated can cause cramping and contractions during pregnancy so even though I feel like I am in the bathroom every 30 minutes, I try to drink a lot of water!

Tammy
    January 5, 2012 at 10:19 am

I drink two to three diet sodas a day. I wish I had the strength to give it up. My husband has no desire to drink less soda, so it is hard for me to drink water and watch him enjoy my beloved diet Mountain Dew. A few weeks ago, I became very sluggish and it seemed that I ached all over. I am convinced that I was dehydrated, so I know the importance of water. I would like to cut the soda out and drink about 128 oz of water a day. That’s probably 3 or 4 times what I am drinking now, so I need to start working on it.

suzanne
    January 5, 2012 at 11:52 am

My goal is to drink 8 cups a day but I usually drink 9-10!

KCLAnderson (Karen)
    January 5, 2012 at 12:33 pm

I need between 80 and 100 ounces of WATER per day (and I often drinking more than that)…any additional “fluids” are just that: additional. I use my “output” as a gage, as well, aiming for very, very light yellow or clear by midday. On the rare occasion that I don’t get enough water, I feel it physically and it’s not pleasant.

Mo
    January 5, 2012 at 12:36 pm

When I workout I feel that I need more water…even last night I was drinking up until the time I went to bed – which, yes is a bad thing, but I was so thirsty. My goal each day, just at work, is to get in my full 8 glasses – then the rest is just a plus. They do say when you workout a lot that you do need to have more then jut the 8 per day – so you stay hydrated, but I am sure you knew that. Love your blog – can’t say enough how much I really enjoy reading it each day!!! Thanks !!!

“MO”-tivated

mary
    January 5, 2012 at 1:52 pm

actually i drink anywhere from a half gallon to a gallon of water a day. depending. i love water….i also love diet pepsi..i don’t know why i don’t like the taste really i think its the fizz haha

Chrystal
    January 5, 2012 at 1:59 pm

So funny my blog today was almost EXACTLY the same.

I drink between 100-120 oz

Mel
    January 5, 2012 at 2:29 pm

I try to judge by the color of my “output” as someone referred to it, (I will just call it pee) 😉 If it is not pretty clear/faint yellow by the time I leave work around 6pm, I know I need to up my water intake with and after dinner. Once it hits the pretty clear/faint yellow – I know I’ve had a good water day. Not too sure how much that is though – I imagine it is different for everyone.

celeste
    January 5, 2012 at 4:16 pm

I drink 23-24 cups of water per day. I have for years. I talked to my doctor, and googled how much water should I drink calculator. It said 188 ounces, and my doctor okayed that amount. I weigh about 330 lbs and I nurse a child.

I drink six cups of water and my cup holds four cups of water. It’s not that hard, really. Once you get used to it, you don’t go that much either.

auntiekim
    January 5, 2012 at 4:20 pm

I drink 60-80 oz of fluid per day, but I’ve had surgery and have limited space now. Pre-surgery I drank a lot more. Like Mel said above, my doctor said your pee should be pale/clear and if it’s not, you’re not drinking enough so that’s what I go by. If it’s not pale, I drink more! I cut out all soda last year, have an occasional cup of decaf coffee, one cup of milk per day and all the rest is water. I often mix with crystal light just to get some different flavors in, but I’m cool with plain water.

TheBookkitten
    January 5, 2012 at 4:42 pm

I NEED to drink more water. In the past I’ve been like a camel; I’d drink a cup of coffee in the morning (black, nothing added), and maybe a cup total during the rest of the day. But lately I haven’t been able to do that. I’m trying to get my intake up to 64 oz per day (the old 8 8-oz glasses rule), but I’m not sure if that’s how much I should drink.

I’d love to find ways to make it taste better, though.

Karen
    January 5, 2012 at 5:19 pm

I don’t drink as much as I probably should everyday but on good days, I get in about 1.5L I’ve heard 8 glasses, 8 cups, and just about everything else out there. I don’t think there’s a set number that everyone should be drinking – we’re all different sizes (height and weight), and different activity levels (obviously you should drink more if you get a lot of physical activity). If you’re not experiencing signs of dehydration, your wee is fairly clear, and your doctor doesn’t think there’s a problem, you’re probably getting enough. But I’m no expert 🙂

Ima Bovine
    January 5, 2012 at 5:49 pm

Too funny – this was one of my New Years Resolutions…to drink 64 ounces of water a day. I have been doing it since Sunday. Yes, I pee constantly. I actually have to pee as soon as I’m done peeing. We’ll see if all these peeing yields any sort of weight loss. Hooves crossed 😉

Nina Patricia
      January 5, 2012 at 8:25 pm

hahahha, that is the funniest thing: have to pee after done peeing!

Nina Patricia
    January 5, 2012 at 8:24 pm

I dont drink as much as I should, but I according to my Dr. friend she says the 8 glasses a day was decades ago and you really don’t need as much if you drink/eat other things that contain water. I don’t drink juice or tea, only 1 cup of coffee a day…I really should try getting more water in.

Emily
    January 5, 2012 at 11:20 pm

I dunno. I read somewhere a while ago that the body ultimately needs the 6-8 cups of water, but that much of it is supplied in watery foods, such as fruit.

I think too much noise is given to it. That being said, I probably consume about 20 servings of various beverages (mostly coffee and water, some with Crystal Light) every day. What can I say, I am a thirsty girl 😉

Marie
    January 6, 2012 at 1:34 am

I’ve read your supposed to drink at least 64 ounces but not more than half your body weight in water.