Screw the Fries…I’m Having Salad…

I’ve been in a pretty healthy groove again since late December, but I’ve had some thoughts in the last 24 hours that have helped me regain some of the confidence that I lost last year…

Shortly before dinner last night, I went to the grocery store to pick up some vegetables to add to my salad.  And on the way home, I passed a restaurant that makes gigantic, deep-fried cheese sticks that make me salivate whether I’m hungry or not (even right now.)  And for a moment I thought about the days long ago that I used to visit here, drive to that place and pick up an order (or two) of the big, hot cheese sticks and eat them all when I got home – followed by a 3 scoop ice cream sundae.  That occurrence (though not with this particular restaurant)  was far too familiar in those days, and when I’d finish, I’d feel sick and promise myself that I wouldn’t do that again…then I’d do it again.

As I drove by that place last night I realized that I hadn’t given it a thought in years.  And when the restaurant did catch my attention, for a split second, I thought about those days.  I remembered a time in my life in which I ate without thinking twice about it, and I remembered the taste of those stupid cheese sticks.

But in the next moment, I smiled as I drove by because I thought about my life now.  Sure, I don’t take a bite or a drink of anything without calculating it in my mind, and everyday I wake up and think about the workout I’m going to do.  I go out of my way to look up nutrition facts, and often times,  it takes monumental effort to tell myself no.

And last night I thought about how delicious those cheese sticks would have been for a moment before coming home to see homemade french fries that my visiting relatives were eating while I was preparing to have a big spinach and cabbage salad.

And as I sat down with my family, after a little teasing, I took a few bites of the fries before quickly pushing away the rest, and I said…”Do you know how hard it is to pass up those fries right now?  Not nearly as hard as it was to walk up a flight of stairs before I started making healthy choices.  Screw the fries.  I’m having the salad.

I got up immediately and prepared my giant salad with baby spinach, romaine, cabbage, cucumbers and tomato with a little protein on the side then sat down again and ate it while I enjoyed their company.

I’m not saying that we have to choose salad over fries every time, but I am saying that while the fries or the cheese sticks, no doubt, would have tasted great for a few minutes, the salad which was loaded with healthy and hearty things that I like too, left me feeling full and satisfied while bringing me closer to my goals.  And with that knowledge, I can tell you that last night’s salad was the best salad I’ve ever eaten.

A few minutes after dinner, the dull craving I experienced (which I’m going to talk about it a post soon) passed, and I was happy with my choice to eat something healthy, flavorful, delicious and filling.

I know that my journey is not over and that some days will be harder than others – I’m no stranger to that.   But today, I am not intimidated or nervous or anxious about it.  Instead, I’m clinging to the knowledge that I can do this…I am doing it, and once again, and it feels good to say that I’m healthier today than I was yesterday.

prairieprincess
    January 25, 2012 at 1:01 am

Seriously, I am tearing up at this, because it’s so real and so beautiful. And this is something I’m starting to get, too. How eating salad, and other healthy things, feels really good. And it gives hope. Thanks for sharing this!

January 26, 2012 at 3:07 am

Small moments can mean so much, can’t they? Why is it hard to remember that at times?

auntiekim
    January 25, 2012 at 3:35 am

Yay you! Good job. Some days, minutes even!, it’s so much harder than others.

January 26, 2012 at 3:07 am

Yep…some days are so hard…makes me thankful for the easier ones.

mary
    January 25, 2012 at 5:36 am

oh i admire you…. i just wrote a post about the slipping of my emotional eating. ugh

January 26, 2012 at 3:08 am

It happens to me all the time…thus the need to celebrate when I win. Hang in there Mary..

Misty @ Life Off the D List!
    January 25, 2012 at 6:32 am

Progress! Way to go!

TC
    January 25, 2012 at 8:55 am

I know how you feel, when making a not so good choice feels good for a min. and then after how our body does not feel good. Great post and good for you.

January 26, 2012 at 3:08 am

I need to remember more often…definitely.

Kris
    January 25, 2012 at 9:29 am

I very much hope I get to where you are someday and soon.
    I have been trying to be healtheir for two years now, started off great, then fell off the wagaon and then did an off again on again thing for a year. I’m serious about it again, but have more days and hours with temptations and sturggles than not. Its great to know that if I keep up this path I can reach a place I want to be, thanks for sharing.

January 26, 2012 at 3:08 am

I’d like to hang on to this feeling too…one day at a time Kris…that’s all…

Alecia
    January 25, 2012 at 9:53 am

Way to go! When you are making those kind of choices you know you are doing good. Like you said, it won’t always be easy, but you made the right choice.

January 26, 2012 at 3:09 am

Honestly, once I had eaten, I didn’t give the junk food another thought (until I wrote the post, of course.)

Jodi
    January 25, 2012 at 10:04 am

It’s all one day at a time for me too! I am proud of you for passing that right up!

Nina Patricia
    January 25, 2012 at 10:44 am

I love post like this one. I have a hard time (don’t we all?) doing that, making the good choice for me, the one that is going to not make me feel like a cow .

Jessica
    January 25, 2012 at 10:57 am

Way to go Kenz! One Day at a time, one meal at a time…one workout at a time! You are doing it!

January 26, 2012 at 3:09 am

Exactly. I’m trying….

Shannon
    January 25, 2012 at 11:18 am

That is just awesome! You are such an inspiration 🙂

MO
    January 25, 2012 at 11:40 am

Very powerful post for me!! Thanks for sharing! Just the sure fact that you wake up every morning thinking about your workout, it is something that I want to experience on a daily basis, too!!!! Thanks !!!

MO

January 26, 2012 at 3:10 am

Maybe I should have been more clear…I wake up knowing that I’ll have to workout…often times I’m dreading it or searching for reasons not to do it, etc.

That was the case tonight, but I got it done…at midnight..ha

Sharlie
    January 25, 2012 at 1:53 pm

I hope to be just like you one day… You are my idol!

January 26, 2012 at 3:11 am

Oh dear…ha You’re too sweet. I wanna be like Mike. 😉

Carina
    January 25, 2012 at 1:59 pm

That’s awesome. I usually tell myself “healthy meal first, then we’ll see.” And when I’m done with my healthy meal, I’m too full for anything more than a small taste of the unhealthy stuff.

January 26, 2012 at 3:11 am

Whoa….that’s brilliant. I’m going to do that……and often…

Madonna
    January 25, 2012 at 8:44 pm

Great job! I had an epiphany myself over a fast food lunch. Except I elected to eat the soup I had brought (5 PP vs 13 PP lunch). And you know what, I didn’t miss it. That is HUGE for me!

January 26, 2012 at 3:11 am

Heck yes, it is…Way. To. Go!

Chona
    January 26, 2012 at 9:14 am

AH! YES! this is SO AWESOME!

My brother asked me to watch my nephew yesterday after I got off work because he was at home sick. I obliged and offered to get something for Max to eat before I came over. He replied with “Chicken Donalds” which means a chicken mcnugget happy meal from McDonald’s. So, I said of course I get it for him if it made him feel better. Well, on my way there I kept thinking, “ok. I’m hungry. Maybe I can get the healthiest option on there. This is WAY MORE convenient and my brother needs to go to a lunch meeting so I don’t have time to grab a salad somewhere else. Ok, I’ll just do it.” Let’s just say that the drive from work to a McDonald’s is, like, two seconds away so I was doing all of this reasoning in my head.

But, I started thinking about how I’d feel about myself after I ate a chicken nugget or a fry or a “healthy option” (are there any?) and how guilty I’d feel. I’d feel as though I set back all of my healthy efforts over the last week by eating ONE meal at a fast food restaurant. So, I passed! I decided I’d look in his fridge and find something else to hold me over until I could pick something up. Yesterday was a full day – work from 7a – 12p, watching Max until 3p, haircut at 3:30 then my marathon training run at 6:30p – so I didn’t have much time to go home and make something for myself like I had planned.

My turkey, tomato, sprout sandwich was filling and satisfying and left me feeling good for the rest of the day. It also fueled my 6 mile training run and I felt phenomenal. Not sure I could say that after a Chicken Donalds meal.

AWESOME JOB KENLIE!