Ten Things I Have Gained By Losing Weight

I’ve been reflecting on my life a lot lately, and as I work to renew my weight-loss efforts, I think it’s important to remember how much I’ve gained by losing weight so far.  I’ve talked about this before, but I think it’s important to recognize what has changed because it motivates me to continue striving toward my goal.

1. The understanding that most of us face obstacles and that I’m not in this alone.
  2. The ability to walk up a flight of stairs without getting winded.
  3. Friends I’ve made through my blog that I may not have known otherwise.
  4. A stronger body.  I can do push-ups, crunches, mountain climbers, and many other things that would have been impossible before I began getting fit.
  5. A better relationship with food.  It still needs a lot of work, but I control it now…It doesn’t control me (most of the time.)
  6. Recognition of my own tenacity as I continue trying to inch closer to my goal.
  7. Freedom from sodas and caffeine.  I quit drinking Dr. Pepper, Coke, Sprite, etc in April of 2009, and it’s one of the best decisions I’ve ever made for my body.
  8. More clothing options…I can shop in stores that I couldn’t before, and that’s just going to keep getting better as I lose.
  9. Better blood pressure, cholesterol, etc.  I’ve substantially lowered the chaNces of having a heart attack or stroke.
  10. Confidence that I can change the things in myself that I want to change.

It was pretty easy to come up with a list of 10 things.  I’d love to hear what you’ve gained from losing…

Chrissy
    January 11, 2012 at 12:13 am

I love this list. I too have gained most of these same things. For me, the biggest and most important thing I have gained is the confidence in myself and my ability to push myself beyond what I thought I could do.

I never thought I could jog until I tried and I liked it! I never thought I would be able to give up soda until I did it and felt amazing for it.

January 11, 2012 at 11:21 pm

I couldn’t imagine giving up soda until I did it…it’s easily one of the best things I’ve ever done for my body.

Molly Nitka
    January 11, 2012 at 12:16 am

The best thing I have gained from losing weight is confidence.

January 11, 2012 at 11:21 pm

Love that Molly! You rock!

Clare
    January 11, 2012 at 12:27 am

I love this! Reading this totally just hit home for me. I’ve only lost 50 pounds so far, but I feel like I’ve gained this whole list and a million more things as well. I’ve already accomplished so many things and I realize every day how many more I am capable of. You just put it all so perfectly and succinctly into words.

January 11, 2012 at 11:23 pm

That’s amazing Clare….and only? Losing 50 pounds is awesome…so happy for you..

Deborah (Schmiet)
    January 11, 2012 at 12:39 am

Hi Kenlie

I lot of my list would be the same as yours (though I also have quite way to go to get to my goal weight).

Like you, I still need to work on my relationship with food…. and I need to do something about my vanilla diet coke habit, which I HAD overcome, but it’s somehow crept back into my diet.

Great list!

Deb

January 11, 2012 at 11:25 pm

I think I’ll always be a work in progress, but I’m looking forward to working at maintaining too..hehe

Ways to lose weight
    January 11, 2012 at 8:10 am

One thing I noticed with my 15 lb weight loss (which doesn’t sound like THAT much, but it makes a huge difference on my 5’2.5″ frame) is that my confidence has skyrocketed. When I was shopping, I tried on things that I would have skoffed at before. Now that I am comfortable with my body, I can wear things that I love without being slightly embarrased.

January 11, 2012 at 11:26 pm

That’s fabulous…

Carbaholic Mama
    January 11, 2012 at 9:25 am

Great list! I’m excited to be healthier but I have to admit that I cannot wait to wear cute clothes from any store I choose!

January 11, 2012 at 11:26 pm

Me too…totally cannot wait!

Hyla
    January 11, 2012 at 1:05 pm

I’ve gained a life I enjoy!

January 11, 2012 at 11:27 pm

Wow Hyla..that’s the best answer ever..

Erin
    January 11, 2012 at 9:14 pm

Great idea! You inspired me to do my own list. Keep on keeping on, Kenlie!

January 11, 2012 at 11:27 pm

That’s awesome! I’ll check to see if you posted it!

Tammy
    January 11, 2012 at 11:48 pm

Congratulations Kenlie, you have lost a lot of weight, are healthier and now able to accomplish many things you weren’t able to before. I’m yet to make a significant change, but I am inspired by your strength and energy. I hope to gain a lot this year too as I lose some weight.

Deb
    January 12, 2012 at 1:09 am

This is such a great list Kenlie! I have mostly given up soda- did it about 4 years ago. I might have one every 5 or 6 weeks, but that’s usually it.

nikkianne
    January 12, 2012 at 8:26 pm

Confidence and a love of life!