Exercise Lifestyle Reflection weight loss

Weekend Workout Question

I generally workout 4-5 times a week, and that usually includes at least one weekend day.  This week I’ve exercised everyday except Thursday, and I spent a little extra time at the gym last night.  After doing 45 minutes on the elliptical, I did a lower body workout with weights.  I like weekend workouts because I don’t feel rushed, and the gym is usually empty.  It also helps counter the fact that I eat out most weekends even though I’m watching my portions.

Do you workout on the weekends?  Does your exercise routine change on Saturday and Sunday?

Joanne
    January 22, 2012 at 12:06 am

Giving myself the weekend off of exercising just doesn’t work very well for me… I try not to miss two days in a row of working out. Too long between workouts and I kick myself out of the ROUTINE of working out, and then it’s much harder to convince myself to start again.

On the plus side, I go to Saturday morning WW meetings, and usually work out in the morning before getting in the shower, so that usually takes care of at least one weekend workout day.

Kris
    January 22, 2012 at 3:44 am

Since I work shift work my “weekends” are different, but I find that I have more time to get in my long workouts on my weekends – it’s hard to run 10 miles after work (or before!), but I can make the time on my day off. 🙂

If I’m going to have a day with no workout, it is usually a day when I work.

Joan
    January 22, 2012 at 6:41 am

Kenlie, This has nothing to do with exercise but I ran across this gluten free recipe and thought of you. It might be something you enjoy.

Marla
    January 22, 2012 at 9:23 am

I usually just workout one day on the weekend and I try to do an outdoor activity instead of going to the gym. It could be a long walk, a hike or like yesterday snowshoeing.

Kelly @ No Thanks to Cake
    January 22, 2012 at 10:36 am

I feel like I spend extra time at the gym on the weekends for the exact reason ou described, it’s empty and I have more time. My workout usually goes an hour ad a half and I spend extra time on strength training for sure! I usually like to workout every day of the weekend for this reason.

Misty @ Life Off the D List!
    January 22, 2012 at 11:04 am

I dont have set days to workout …If I dont get in at least 4 workouts during the week I know I HAVE to workout on the weekend.

Shelley
    January 22, 2012 at 11:18 am

I have 2 kids (one in school all day and one home with me) so weekends are the only time when my husband is around to watch them while I exercise. I always go out both Sat. and Sun. to run. I really don’t like running with the jogging stroller and it’s dark before hubby leaves and after he gets home from work on weekdays so running during the week doesn’t work well. So for that reason I usually do exercise both weekend days. During the week I squeeze in the elliptical or exercise video at home. I actually really look forward to my weekend runs because it’s my time (and running outdoors is my favorite type of exercise even though I’m not running very far yet)!

auntiekim
    January 22, 2012 at 11:48 am

I always work out at least one of the days, but I shoot for both days. It’s harder for me to workout after working all day during the week, so I make up sessions early in the morning on the weekends.

Bella
    January 22, 2012 at 1:28 pm

I really try to workout both weekend days, for exactly the reason that you mentioned – I feel less rushed.
    Saturday – Zumba followed by a Yoga Basics class. (plus walking the dog)
    Sunday – workout DVDs at home (plus walking the dog).

Plus, this way I can take one of the more hectic weekdays as an off day, usually Monday, which really helps.

karen
    January 22, 2012 at 2:37 pm

I work out every day and only take a day off if my body needs it. For me consistancy and stress relief is so, so important. Now when I take a day off I feel like something is missing. When I was 260 pounds I wouldnt have believed that but it is just true. Taking days off when you feel great and strong never made any sense to me. Save them up for days you are sick or really need to. On the weekend I take my time and do all the weights I want to and just enjoy the day rather than rush all around trying to get back home on time. My runs are slower and I just soak it all in. I also reflect on what the rest of the day holds in store and that really makes my brain feel organized!

Carina
    January 22, 2012 at 3:19 pm

I always work out on the weekends at least one day, often both, and my routine changes in that I work out for much longer. Having no where I need to be immediately afterward lets me double or triple the length of the workout, which is so nice. Love weekend workouts.

Nina Patricia
    January 22, 2012 at 7:10 pm

I actually do try to exercise at least one day on the weekends.

Lethal Astronaut
    January 22, 2012 at 7:35 pm

Heck no! Sunday is my “day of rest” and Saturday is my “leading up to my day-of-rest day-of-rest” ;-P

That said, I’m trying to increase my exercise to five days a week. That’s enough, for now.

Molly Nitka
    January 22, 2012 at 8:41 pm

I’ve been working out 6x a week for the past couple of months. I love working out on the weekends at my gym because hardly anyone is there. So I love that I have my own space. Honestly, I like working out on the weekends more than during the week.

Nina
    January 22, 2012 at 9:25 pm

Lately I have been doing some Saturday workouts with my trainer. (Since I am injured with a foot/tendon issue we’ve been doing 3 30-min, all upper-body workouts a week. M/W/Sat.) I also got an exercise bike on sale from Play it Again Sports for home, so I am trying to do that daily when I wake up, just to get my heart pumping.

What I have noticed is that during the week my workouts seem to act as stress-busters post-work. The Saturday sessions seem so much more relaxed and enjoyable. I think also weekend workouts seem like some sort of good pat on the back and an extra.

So just doing them at all feels good!

Half Chinked
    January 22, 2012 at 9:48 pm

I haven’t become a workout person yet. I am still losing weight by following the points program from WW. I do walk about twice a week for about 15 minutes on the treadmill, but I also know I am going to have to do more activity to get this weight off when my points start to decline.

Hope you had a great weekend!

J-Spot Jon
    January 23, 2012 at 1:46 pm

I tend to be a 3-day on, 1-day off person. So I do end up working out on one of the weekend days. Since I plan my workouts, they usually don’t deviate much. However, I DO like to use the weekend to shift my activities outdoors, if I can.

I must say that if my workout involves the gym, I LOVE Sundays because the place is usually fairly empty. This is great for focus and I like the “alone time” it affords me. I usually recommend Sunday training to my clients, especially new ones, as they can be self conscious in crowded gyms. I also find it helpful if I am doing a workout that involves a popular exercise. For example, most men love using Mondays for their “Chest Day”, so by doing these workouts on a weekend, I don’t have to wait in line for equipment.

Vanessa
    January 23, 2012 at 8:48 pm

We live an odd schedule since my husband is a paramedic so I don’t have a set workout schedule. One day I hope I do but I usually do workout on the weekends, yes. I allow myself to ‘miss’ two days a week if needed but aim to workout six. Even if its only 20 minutes.

Lisa
    February 15, 2012 at 2:07 pm

I like having 2 nights a week that I don’t have to go to the gym…those days I can relax, watch TV, make plans with friends, run errands…plus I have more time on the weekends to focus on my workout. My Saturday AM workout is longer and more intense. I love it!