Exercise Gym weight loss

Do You Exercise When You Don’t Feel Well?

It has been a long day, and I don’t feel 100%.  I woke up and faced the day feeling congested and lethargic, but I accomplished what I needed to accomplish which included a 50-minute evening workout.  Sometimes I choose to workout late as opposed to not at all, but now I want to sleep.  And I hope to wake up feeling healthy and rested.

Sometimes getting through a workout is a victory in itself...

Do you exercise when you don’t feel well?  How do you decide when to fight through it and when to rest?

Jenn
    February 16, 2012 at 3:05 am

My general rule of thumb is neck up (cold, blocked up, headache) I’ll still work out… It’ll usually help me feel better. But neck down (chesty cough, any sort of injury or ache) I’ll take the day off to rest as exercise will probably make it worse. It’s the hardest thing to drag yourself to the gym though when you’re not feeling 100% so well done! And keep it up! You’re doing amazing! 🙂

February 16, 2012 at 11:19 pm

I don’t exercise as much when I have a chest cold so I guess I follow that basic rule of thumb too. Smart!

Janet
    February 16, 2012 at 4:43 am

No, I don’t! When I am getting sick, be that a cold or cough, I am not working out. When a trainer tells me not to work out while I am sick because it would be bad for my cardiovascular system, I tend to listen. 🙂
    So, nope for me!!

February 16, 2012 at 11:20 pm

I suppose it depends on the trainer and the sickness….hehe

mary
    February 16, 2012 at 4:56 am

i try to do at least something
    i am sick right now also, and ontop of not feeling good
    i got a flu shot at the doc’s the other day…blech!
    i knew something was off when i could barely lift my crockpot
    after a potluck lunch at quilt class on sunday…good lord it was like it weighed 100 pounds.
    i need sleep and orange juice….and tissues, i have only 5 left !

February 16, 2012 at 11:20 pm

Feel better Mary……..

Karen
    February 16, 2012 at 6:07 am

I’ve had a mild case of food poisoning the last 2 days and forced myself onto the treadmill (i have one at home fortunately). Felt great afterwards.

February 16, 2012 at 11:21 pm

Yikes…feel better Karen! And yeah, having one at home must be awesome…

PlumPetals
    February 16, 2012 at 6:29 am

I usually push through and exercise even if I’m feeling crappy. Most of the time it makes me feel better. There are some days when I have felt ill, gone to the gym, and started to feel worse — on those days I have no problem stopping. You’ve got to listen to your body but not be afraid to give it some tough love and a good workout even when it’s whining a little 🙂

February 16, 2012 at 11:21 pm

I try to listen to mine too….good thinking!

Joanna
    February 16, 2012 at 6:45 am

All last week I was dealing with a nasty chest cold. It started in my throat, and then worked down in my chest. Being that breathing was on the painful side, I sat out of working out for the entire week. This week, I still have a little congestion – but I’m back in the gym. Nurse said that the working out will help clear out the last of the congestion, so I was given the all clear.

As a rule of thumb, I work-out unless it’s in my chest. If I’m all wheezy, I avoid working out because I don’t want to add insult to injury… but anything else (that’s not really contagious), I’ll go.

February 16, 2012 at 11:23 pm

Chest seems to be the time when we should take it easy….noted. I hope you’re feeling 100% again soon!

Jodi @ Jodi, Fat or Not
    February 16, 2012 at 7:46 am

If I’m just feeling tired or have a headache, I usually fight through it for a work out. When I’m sick, I take it easy. But I find a slow walk in the sun can be just as healing as medicine and rest sometimes 🙂

February 16, 2012 at 11:37 pm

You’re so right about the walk in the sun. Sometimes that’s all it takes to feel better.

Sarah
    February 16, 2012 at 8:19 am

I do exercise if I’m tired. I do not exercise if I’m sick though. Sometimes I have to push myself and know that I will feel so much better after working out. I’m always tired at the end of the day and I have to make sure I workout whether I want to or not. If I didn’t push myself I would never get to the gym! And good for you for pushing yourself after a long day!

Sarah
    notaneffingdiet.blogspot.com

February 16, 2012 at 11:39 pm

Thanks Sarah…I wish I could leave a comment on your blog, but I have to tell you that I love the garage gym idea! And I’m glad you’re here anyway!

Lori Lynn
    February 16, 2012 at 8:58 am

I’ve been relatively fortunate that I haven’t gotten the cold/flu stuff this year, so the only “not feeling well” for me would be mentally, not physically! For me, it’s tough once I’ve gotten the mindset that I don’t want to workout. I have to really talk myself into it, and even then there may be a skipped workout!

February 16, 2012 at 11:40 pm

I think we all have days in which we skip it even when we know we shouldn’t. I definitely do..

Cinda
    February 16, 2012 at 11:25 am

Speaking of working out – I am impressed by your workouts and need to get my rear end moving that way. I’m not sure if you mentioned it before, but is there a particular brand of workout attire that you like. I am worried about scaring people in the gym with an exposed belly, bootie, etc. Thank you!!

February 16, 2012 at 11:43 pm

Thanks Cinda! I just wear yoga capri pants or sweats from Old Navy most days. Sometimes I wear Just My Size too. I like to have inexpensive and cool workout clothes, but I don’t think they make dri-fit in my size anyway.

Beth@WeightMaven
    February 16, 2012 at 11:37 am

I’m with Joanna. The rule I’ve heard is that if it’s above neck level, working out is okay. But if it’s in the chest, rest is best.

February 16, 2012 at 11:43 pm

Sounds like a solid plan to me!

Nina Patricia
    February 16, 2012 at 3:29 pm

No, not if I’m sick. Some times your body just needs to rest

February 16, 2012 at 11:44 pm

Sometimes, for sure..

Deb
    February 16, 2012 at 6:25 pm

It depends on the case. Most of the time when I’m not feeling well I still push on through though maybe not working as hard. However, if I can’t get away from the bathroom for more than half an hour, I don’t do anything. Figure its silly to go to the gym when every 20 minutes I’ll have to stop my workout to run to the bathroom!

February 16, 2012 at 11:44 pm

That’s definitely a good rule of thumb…I hadn’t considered that…hehe

auntiekim
    February 16, 2012 at 10:28 pm

I’m a wimp. I completely shut down when I’m not 100%. If it’s just a headache or something stupid, I’ll push through it. But if I feel like it’s a real illness, I stop and give myself time to heal. Hang in there. Hope you’re feeling better soon, dear one 🙂

February 16, 2012 at 11:44 pm

Thanks Kim…I felt better as the day progressed…

Andrea - Making It Healthy
    February 21, 2012 at 3:59 pm

Hi Kenlie 🙂 I should probably work out whether I’m sick or not, but I tend to not want to do anything…so I usually don’t. Maybe you have inspired me to get off my butt no matter what 🙂

Lisa
    March 15, 2012 at 1:24 pm

It depends. I don’t get sick often anymore (knock on wood)–about 2 or 3 times a year. Losing the weight and exercising regularly has boosted my immunity.

I listen to my body and try to see if I just need to take some rest days. I’m usually pretty in-tune!