For Love and Cupcakes

Living in New York and traveling regularly has allowed me to sample some of the best cupcakes on earth!  Cupcakes and I have a long, complicated (well, not really so complicated) past that has usually involved me indulging in too many calories.

But during my last trip to NY I realized that my love for cupcakes has taken a serious turn.  I’d be lying if I said that these photos didn’t make me smile, but they no longer perpetuate cravings that feel nearly impossible to control, and that is so cool!

You can click on the picture to make it bigger if you feel like torturing yourself....

I think it’s okay to love cupcakes, and I think it’s okay that my heart flutters at the thought of having a 44 calorie red velvet from Baked by Melissa next week.   But it’s nice to feel like I can take it or leave it.

Has your taste changed over time?  Have you had any life-long cravings that subsided over time?  If so, will you tell me about them?

desertnails8
    February 23, 2012 at 12:15 am

I have a cute little plastic cupcake with frosting on my kitchen counter. It makes me smile every morning. The frosting is the top and it opens up and has a little space inside. It could fit two tiny post earrings. It makes me happy to see.

February 26, 2012 at 4:12 pm

I have a cupcake charm from Tiffany on my charm bracelet…It’s the only charm on the bracelet, and it makes me smile too. I totally understand…ha

Kelly @ No Thanks to Cake
    February 23, 2012 at 12:46 am

I feel like I used to eat a LOT of cake… and now I eat practically none. I do love a good cupcake from time to time, and I’m intrigued by the 44 calorie version you mentioned… will you be sharing more detail on that???

February 26, 2012 at 4:14 pm

Sure, I can do that…they’re from Baked by Melissa which has several locations in NYC. Every cupcake they bake is under 50 calories…They’re tiny, but eating 3 satisfies my craving, and that’s still much better than eating an entire one from Crumbs (which I don’t usually do, just saying.)

Kate
    February 23, 2012 at 3:12 am

Definitely! I’ve gone through addiction phases… there were times that I couldn’t live without chicken quesadillas, chocolate shakes, frozen caramels from Panera, ice cream sundaes, or pizza. All these foods have affected me at different times, but I’ve overcome them all. The latest one was the frozen caramel, and I had one just this past weekend for nostalgia purposes, and it wasn’t even that good… it had this aftertaste that I’d never really noticed but I don’t like.

February 26, 2012 at 4:14 pm

Isn’t it weird how things change?

Liz
    February 23, 2012 at 7:38 am

You didn’t post a Dean & Deluca’s cupcake, I’m obsessed with those! Anyway, I mosty crave carbs (bagels and fresh baked Italian bread specifically) and sweets. It’s a hard thing to overcome. I haven’t been on this particular weight loss journey for very long (started in November), so I still get the cravings, allthough they are getting less frequent and easier to deal with. This is a process and needs to be a permenant change. I think once in a while, it’s okay to give in, but the trick is to stop before getting out of control. Like if I want a doughnut, instead of buying a whole box of Entemann’s I just go buy 1 doughnut. That way I have what I was craving, and I don’t eat the whole box =)

February 26, 2012 at 4:15 pm

I posted some of my favorites, but I’ve never eaten one from Dean & Deluca. I’ll do that soon and see how it goes…I’d hate to miss a great cupcakes…better “research” that.

Sabrina
    February 23, 2012 at 7:51 am

It’s carbs for me too. But as of late I have found myself moving away from white carbs and eating only whole wheat.

Chubby McGee
    February 23, 2012 at 8:09 am

Ahahaha! You have to see my post from yesterday! I talked about my goal prize and how it’s an evil cupcake tattoo on my foot. That way, I can constantly see it and remember that too many cupcakes will make me fat again. I love them. I ADORE cupcakes. They have destroyed me.

Love/hate much? Hahaha!

Maren
    February 23, 2012 at 8:50 am

My craving for sweets and baked goods is dead, pretty much. How weird is that?

Tammy
    February 23, 2012 at 10:17 am

Sweets are still what I crave, but my tastes have changed. My DH bought some Ding Dongs the other day, and I had one, but it wasn’t nearly as good as I expected or remembered it from the past. I find that I gravitate towards things that I don’t have often, or that I cannot make myself, or anything my mom bakes!

I like cupcakes, but don’t have them often. There are several gourmet cupcake shops here, but I’ve never set foot in one. First, I think the prices and sizes are ridiculous! I don’t need a gigantic $5 cupcake! I just bought this little scent burner for my kitchen to take the place of a real cupcake. https://gmswhitfield.scentsy.us/Buy/ProductDetails/MSW-CAKE

Mae
    February 23, 2012 at 10:44 am

THE ONE thing I always crave, for reasons unknown to me, is a glazed doughnut. Ever since I started my weight loss thing, I craved a glazed doughnut like my life depended on it. In the beginning I would cave and eat like 3 of them, but now it just sort of lingers in the back of my mind. I trick myself by saying “yeah I have enough points for a doughnut later…” and I put it off, and put it off (master procrastinator here) until I just forget about it.

Nan
    February 23, 2012 at 11:22 am

Funny- cupcakes are so easy to bake. In fact, I am baking 4 dozen right now for my 2 grandsons’ blue and gold boy scout banquet tomorrow. They aren’t a treat to me; I much prefer something crunchy although I love ice cream especially with nuts or something added. I just tell myself I can make it some other time when it comes to sweets and I keep the ice cream and crunchy PB out of the pantry.

G_twins
    February 23, 2012 at 12:42 pm

I have a lot of food that are not worth the calories now (Down 66.4) but there are a few RED Light foods for me. I will not name them it give them power!

The cupcakes look Awesome!! Very artisy

Erin
    February 23, 2012 at 1:04 pm

One time, when I was on WW really well, I had the worst craving for peanut butter. So, I ate and ate and ate it and on my weigh in I had gained 4 lbs! Getting those wild cravings under control is the best thing in the world when you can do it. And I love cupcakes, too. In fact, my Twitter name is E_Cupcakes and my dream career is ownign my own cupcake food truck. Now days, I don’t have strong urges for things and I guess it is because I am “off the wagon” right now. Booo!

Kris
    February 23, 2012 at 2:20 pm

If I give in and eat sweets I still eat too much, but the craving is mostly gone – thank goodness! My biggest issue now id fresh baked breads like sourdough or pumpernickel… I can (and have) eaten half a large loaf in one sitting. I tryo to avoid brena in general now because of it.

Deb
    February 23, 2012 at 4:22 pm

I love cupcakes (or cuppycakes as I call them) but know if I bake them, I will eat half of them in a day. A neighbor’s granddaughter baked some the other day and brought the tray of them over to me. I amazingly only took 3- one for me, one for my bf, and one for our roommate. That cupcake was pure heaven while it lasted! Wish I could eat them more often but I lack self-control with them.

Ima Bovine
    February 23, 2012 at 4:22 pm

I recently gave up all dairy – thought it would be much harder than it in fact has been. I am thinking I will try giving up sugar next but am not sure if that’s even possible. This bovine has SUGAR ADDICT branded on her bum (and thighs, and flabby arms, and belly….)

PlumPetals
    February 23, 2012 at 9:31 pm

I have a mega-sweet tooth and never thought I’d see the day where I could resist sweets, but I can now. Just learning about nutrition and knowing what each type of ingredient can do to the body has helped a lot in changing my perspective and definitely reducing my cravings {it also helps when I think about foods in terms of how many hours it will take at the gym to burn them off!!}

Holly
    February 26, 2012 at 9:27 am

I have issues. I really can’t entertain too much time with a cupcake or I will eat it and all of its friends. And then I will go storming the bakeries looking for more. It’s sad that I’m like this. Luckily if I scroll past the pictures really really fast they dont’ tend to affect me too much. I wish someone could reformat my brain but oh well. I will say that I had a weird taste change after my surgery. Cucumbers. I have this really strange obsession now with cucumbers. I never liked them before but now I dream about them. Something must be really wrong with me!

Cupcake Questions
    July 17, 2012 at 12:29 am

[…] I don’t love them as much as I thought I did.  Since January I have expressed to Kelly and on my blog that I’m usually disappointed by cupcakes once I actually eat them, and the same is true now. […]