Inspired

I read a quote that inspired me recently.  Actually, it did more than inspire me….It has impacted my thoughts and actions over the last several weeks, and it has had a powerful affect on my choices.  I’ve already shared it, but I have to share it again.

“The difference between who you are and who you want to be is what you do.”

I’ve been doing things differently around here, and it seems to be working.  I’ve forgiven myself for maintaining my weight last year (as opposed to losing.)  I’m refocused, back in school, and I’m doing what it takes to live a healthy life one day at a time.  And for me, that means making better food choices.

I exercised regularly last year, and while my heart/blood pressure/etc benefited from it, my weight stayed virtually the same (until it spiked a little over the holidays.)  So far this year, my workouts have been solid, but I’ve been much more conscientious of what I’m eating.  While exercise is important, what we eat – how we fuel our bodies, is important too.  My eating habits have not been perfect, but they’ve been better overall.  And I’m still trying to improve.

Yesterday, I completed a short, early morning workout at the gym before the sun came up, and I did a longer workout at home in the afternoon.  I snacked on spinach and kale and ate foods that were high in protein along with fruits and vegetables and copious amounts of water.  I’m even trying to get more uninterrupted sleep!  It’s amazing how alert I feel when I can sleep without distractions for 5 to 6 hours so I’d like to work up to 7 or 8.  We’ll see if that happens…

That’s really all I have to say at the moment.  If my food and exercise choices came together perfectly everyday, I’d have very little to discuss here.  But today, I’ll just be thankful that I’m healthy and strong, and I’ll worry about the rest of the week/month/year as it comes.

How’s your week progressing?  Are you struggling?  Is it a breeze?

Lisa
    February 1, 2012 at 12:47 am

Sounds great. I think maintaining is almost just as awesome than losing. I have been on the other end of that and would take maintaining over gaining any day. you’ve done awesome!

– Lisa

February 1, 2012 at 1:25 pm

Yeah…I tried to be specific about why I was forgiving myself because maintenance is much better than gaining…lol

Nan
    February 1, 2012 at 5:53 am

I’ve finally decided I need a plan for good eating around 7 PM; I get up very early so all my meals are earlier than most people. Today I am going to be prepared with something crunchy to eat then. I can have my cut up veggies and hummus/dip/salsa ready to munch on! It’s a plan! Also, exercise is going to be planned today too.

February 1, 2012 at 1:26 pm

I wish I loved hummus. I’m okay with it, but I don’t love it. Salsa? Well, that’s a different story. Yum..

Deborah (Schmiet)
    February 1, 2012 at 6:42 am

Sounds like you’ve had a great day! Keep it up (I know I need the motivation as well!).

I love your attitude.

Deb

Grace @ Healthy Dreaming
    February 1, 2012 at 6:57 am

It’s all about moving forward!

Anne
    February 1, 2012 at 7:31 am

Maintaining for a year … now that is an accomplishment on it’s own !!!!!!!!!!
    See you LADDER, Friday !!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 1, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Can’t wait to hit the ladder with you Anne! Woooooo hoooo!

Carina
    February 1, 2012 at 8:21 am

I haven’t read your blog long enough to know, but I was wondering what usually interrupts your sleep? I love getting a solid 7-8 hours. The biggest interference for me tends to be, in order, having to get up to pee, hearing my husband get up or snore, or hearing sirens. But I’d say most nights I’m able to sleep w/o interruption. I bet getting more sleep will definitely make you feel better, glad you’re going that direction.

February 1, 2012 at 1:27 pm

I just have a lot to do, and I’ve never cared for sleep. I know it’s important so I make an effort…usually it’s for the first reason you mentioned…ha…

Molly Nitka
    February 1, 2012 at 8:36 am

My week is great, I weighed in this am and I am finally in the 180’S!!!! I cant remember the last time I weighed 180. Probably middle school. It’s kind of emotional.

February 1, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Wow Molly! That is stellar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats! When I reach the 180’s (someday) I’ll be emotional too…good grief…it’s incredible.

Steelers6
    February 1, 2012 at 10:12 am

Wow, some great changes, but a really loud one to me was “worked out at the gym before the sun came up!” Whoa! Do I have the right blog? 🙂 Amazing.

Good job on all you mentioned here.

February 1, 2012 at 1:28 pm

I know, right?!?! Both workouts were complete before dinner. Not today though….hehe

Kris
    February 1, 2012 at 10:14 am

Maintaining is hard, I know, so yes, doing it for a year is a big deal!

You seem to have developed a good plan of action, and the sleep is so important. I know I feel much better when I get 7-8 hours, as opposed to 5.

Keep working at it, you’re getting there!

February 1, 2012 at 9:56 pm

Thanks Kris! I’m working on getting more sleep….we’ll see how I feel in comparison..

auntiekim
    February 1, 2012 at 10:49 am

I saw your tweet yesterday about exercising before the sun came up and I was mildly jealous. What a great way to start the day. I’m so not a morning person but I always feel so amazing when I exercise in the morning. You sound like you’re in a pretty good place. Yay you!! Sleep is important so definitely try to get as much sleep as you can.

As for me, my body is betraying me. Not sure why. I’m doing everything ‘right’ but it’s rebelling. I hate it but I know it’s not forever. http://fortyisthenewfabulous.blogspot.com/2012/02/wednesday-weigh-in.html Hope I have a better weigh in next week!

Half Chinked
    February 1, 2012 at 11:06 am

So true! My week is a little stressful with a funeral and a birthday all on the same day. But, I know I can get past this. Just going to take discipline and you have given me that inspiration in your post!

MO
    February 1, 2012 at 12:31 pm

I have been feeling about the same. I am back to exercising and doing more to get myself back on track. I am glad to read that you are feeling good, energized and yes – a morning workout does the body good!!!

MO-tivated

Tammy
    February 2, 2012 at 12:00 am

Good to hear Kenlie, glad you’re finding your groove. I had a great January, but then my birthday hit yesterday. Too much eating the last three days has my weight up a bit. I need to refocus tomorrow and get back on track. What are you studying in school? I LOVE learning.

Bella
    February 2, 2012 at 3:50 pm

I think you’re absolutely right about the food be just as (if not more) important than exercise. I had a trainer tell me that food was 70% of it. I’m not sure if it’s that high, but it’s definitely up there. And when I’m making good food choices, I usually make good workout choices, too.

I’m happy that today was a good day for you.