Just Curious

I’m a week into calorie counting now, and it definitely feels like the right thing for me.  And one thing that I didn’t like about the idea when I tried it briefly in the past was that it  the nutritional information was always posted on the processed junk and not on fresh food.  But seriously? How hard is it to look up the calories?  I mean, I always looked up points so what’s the difference?   And thanks to the iPhone app, it’s really easy to figure out the calories of an orange or a banana or a cup of spinach which leads me to my question about your food habits.

Monday = rest day.

My goal, right now, is to eat 9 servings or so per day, and eating a big salad with leafy greens and other stuff makes that easily attainable.

How many servings of fruits and vegetables do you eat on an average day?  Do you seat an intake goal?  How do you work them into your meals?

New Year, New Me
    March 27, 2012 at 3:11 am

I am a huge lover of fruits & veggies I try to have them with every meal & even in between. I need to branch out & start trying new fruits & veggies so I don’t get bored.

BigMamaT
    March 27, 2012 at 7:46 am

I easily manage getting enough fruit (at leas 4 servings), vegetables are harder. I aim for 5 servings, but I don’t sweat it too much if I get at least 3… I always have 2 with dinner, but breakfast and lunch tend to be more on the go, so beyond celery or carrot sticks it can be harder. I make it work most days…

Shannon
    March 27, 2012 at 9:49 am

I feel like I NEVER get enough fruits and veggies! I aqm looking forward to the warmer weather so the farmers markets re-open. I do so much better when I can get fresh.
    Calorie counting is tedious, but combined with working out it is the ONLY thing that really works for my hubby and me. Congrats on crossing over.

Emily
    March 27, 2012 at 10:09 am

I usually get 2-3 servings of fruit and about 1-2 servings of vegetables easily. It’s hardest for me to increase the vegetable count. I work as a security guard, so the vegetables have to be portable and last outside the fridge. There’s only so many celery sticks and carrot sticks a girl can stand!

When I count calories and combine it with a minimum of three workouts a week, I see results. I have to watch closely my sodium intake though. That REALLY messes with my numbers on the scale.

Melinda
    March 27, 2012 at 11:38 am

I get about 6-7 servings a day, the bulk of which is at lunch. I usually get a fruit in at breakfast (a banana or apple with my oatmeal) and a veggie in at dinner (whatever veggie we’re having–usually broccoli because I can make it quickly in the microwave and I know at least one of my kids will eat it). At some point during the day, I eat one or two piece of fruit as a snack.

At lunch I make a BIG salad with 2 servings of lettuce (usually red leaf, sometimes romaine–never iceberg) and, recently, I started adding in 85 grams/ounces of broccoli slaw with it for a 3rd serving of vegetables. It makes a HUGE salad–I also add 2 T of reduced-fat feta, 85 grams/3 ounces of grilled chicken, usually a hard boiled egg and then 2 teaspoons each of olive oil and balsamic vinegar as a dressing. With the broccoli slaw, it is so big that I eat it out of a serving bowl–but it is only 8 points/371 calories. And it is so filling I can sometimes make it to dinner without having to eat again.

Sarah
      March 27, 2012 at 12:46 pm

um, that sounds yum-o!

Mel
    March 27, 2012 at 12:46 pm

I’ve been on a spinach kick lately, and have really been trying to incorporate it into atleast one meal a day (atleast 4 cups cooked down). I also try to pack one veggie snack per day along with my two fruits. So that is about 5 servings a day.

Thanks for pointing out Sparkpeople.com – I am giving it a try for the next few weeks. I was using loseit.com but am finding I like SP’s layout and reporting better so far. We will see!

Hilary @ The Big Weight
    March 27, 2012 at 2:09 pm

Hey Kenlie – so.. I’m still trying to get caught up on my Google Reader but I’ve noticed that you’re doing this 30-day calorie counting challenge. I know you said you tried many ways of altering the WW program to work for you, feeling like you consumed too many calories on the program (or this was my understanding of what you were saying). Anyhow, I was wondering if you ever tried reducing your daily PointsPlus target manually? I’m not here to convince you to go back to WW, I just want to understand what you’ve tried because I’m in a similar boat. I’ve been reducing my DPT manually because I know I’m eating too much. If you’ve already talked about this exact thing, please direct me to the post because I couldn’t find one :)..

March 27, 2012 at 4:37 pm

I have tried that Hilary, and it didn’t work well. I reduced from 44 to 40 which didn’t seem to be enough. I was eating about 2400 calories per day as opposed to eating under 1500. That’s definitely not going to work for me. And I shouldn’t have to alter everything so greatly myself while paying $40 a month for guidance, you know?

Deb
        March 27, 2012 at 10:49 pm

I tried P+ when it came out. I lost 5 pounds the first week, then I gained 2 pounds every week after that. After about 6 weeks I said screw this and cancelled my subscription with WW. The new plan just doesn’t work as is for an awful lot of people on it.

Deb
    March 27, 2012 at 4:38 pm

I usually get 3 or 4 servings of fruits a veggies in in a day. But there are days I don’t eat any at all, and other days when that’s pretty much all I eat.

blair
    March 27, 2012 at 4:43 pm

Today is day 2 for me of food tracking/calorie counting. I’m using the Lose It! App on my iPhone, and so far I love it. Still a newbie though, I’m glad you’re doing it as well so I can watch your progress 🙂