A Major Change

After a post I wrote earlier this week, I had to face some real feelings and thoughts, and while it’s not easy to share them, I’m going to.  Here’s where I stand (and where I’ve been standing longer than I care to admit) right now.  I feel stuck.  I weigh 12 pounds less right now than I did at the beginning of the year, but it has been far too long since I made substantial progress.

I’m not discounting the fact that I exercise like a champ on a consistent basis…nor am I belittling the fact that I’ve managed to maintain my 100 pound loss.  These are both incredible things, and I’m damn proud of what I’ve accomplished so far.  That said, I’m not happy with where I am now.  My eating habits need to change, and they need to change now.

As I write this post, I’ve just successfully completed the first day of a personal challenge that I hope will spring board me into weight-loss once again.  I’ve counted calories all day, and I’m ending the day having consumed 1,474 calories (most of which came from fruit, veggies, egg whites and other lean proteins.)   My workout today included 30 minutes on the elliptical (easing back into it after being off for a month) and a strength workout for my arms followed by 5 minutes on the treadmill.

You can't really tell that I was sweating buckets, but I was...And I like it that way.

People say that weight-loss is easy, but those people often miss the point.  I’ve lost 100 pounds.  I know how to eat, but sometimes I find it extraordinarily difficult to convince myself that it’s a good idea.  That’s the hard part, at least for me, so I’ve decided to eat about 1,300 calories on rest days and no more than 1,500 calories on workout days.  I’ll listen to my body and do my best to adjust, but I think this is a healthy and realistic window that will yield good results.

I like the gym, and  I like exercising outside when the weather allows it.  I love to sweat, and I love to feel my heart pumping because it makes me feel strong and capable and athletic.  Now it’s time to reintroduce healthy eating into my everyday life.  And I’ve decided that for the next 30 days (probably longer, but this is my initial commitment) I’m going to track my caloric intake.   I made a difficult and bitter decision to leave Weight Watchers shortly after they unveiled the new PointsPlus plan over a year ago, but I never fully committed to counting calories.  What can I say?  That was then, and this is now.  I’m going to try again.

I realize that counting points and calories both work as long as you do it consistently, but I’ve been fighting with myself over the last few months to figure out how I can make PointsPlus work for me.  I’ve posted several times about modifying the program to work for me by counting fruits, tracking EVERYTHING through the recipe builder, etc.  But the fact is that  a successful day in my WW tracker looks like about 2,400 calories, and that’s far too many.

I’ve wanted to believe that I could make PointsPlus work because I love the support of the meetings, and even more so because I feel so indebted to Weight Watchers for what the helped me achieve in losing the first 100 pounds.  I also adored my first leader in New York, Jen, and my current leader, Penny.  I’m also completely infatuated with David Kirchhoff, the most handsome, friendly and witty CEO of all time.  (Swoon.)   But the fact is that, I’ve complicated the new program so much in my head just to make it work at least a little bit, that the simplicity of calorie counting has been a relief today.  I’m not saying goodbye to Weight Watchers.  I’m just trying something new to see how it compares.

Day one of calorie counting was a success...

I’m tracking my intake through SparkPeople for a couple of reasons…First, because I like the people I know behind SparkPeople.  You all know Coach Nicole now, right?  She doesn’t know I’ve crossed over to the calorie counting side yet, but she will soon.  😉  And secondly, I love the SparkPeople iPhone app!  It’s fantastic!  In addition to tracking my caloric intake, I can also track my workouts.  I can even get specific with my strength exercises, weights and reps.  I’m in love with this app, and I like that it’s free.

So this is where I am.  I’m starting over again because it seems like the right thing to do.  And I’ve said before that I’ll restart as often as it takes.  It’s better than throwing in the towel or refusing to face the fact that I’ve become complacent with food, right?  Anyway, I’m here, and I’m not going anywhere…But I’d like to see my excess weight flee the scene, and I’m hoping that this big change in my routine will do the trick.

What’s the bigger challenge for you?  Food or exercise?  Do you track your calories everyday?  Do you track you intake at all?

Molly Nitka
    March 22, 2012 at 12:13 am

Food is by far the biggest challenge and yet more important. I used to track calories but got overwhelmed and just decided to go off of what my body feels. I don’t track my intake at all and honestly, I’ve successfully lost more weight by doing this than by writing everything down and tracking every last calorie. I think you should just go for a week or two and don’t track anything. Go off of what your body is telling you. You may be surprised at the results. Just a thought.

March 22, 2012 at 1:52 pm

I definitely do not trust myself enough to eat intuitively yet, but I am trying to listen to my body.

Deb
    March 22, 2012 at 12:35 am

I track everything. I love tracking tiny little details- like I make myself crazy obsessing over them. If it has calories, I write it down. If I exercise, I write it down. I have an excel sheet that does the math for me, I just plug in the numbers, and can see my end of day totals, as well as several different weekly totals and averages. 🙂

March 22, 2012 at 1:53 pm

Ha..that’s awesome, Deb. Excel would work too..Smart.

Kaycie Christine
    March 22, 2012 at 1:12 am

Exercise, right now, is what’s hardest for me. My excuse is “not having enough time” and I’m realizing more and more that I need to MAKE time. It needs to become a habit, because it’s definitely not right now.

I used myfitnesspal.com for about a year to track my calories and exercise and really love it. It also has a free app that is really helpful (and enables you to scan barcodes of the foods you eat so you don’t have to search for everything). I also like that it allows me to put in my own personal recipes and then divides it by serving for me… Taking out any math from the equation. It saves them all into my account so all I have to do is add a serving of such-and-such recipe and there it is! I love it, but I’ve never used SparkPeople, so I’m definitely not trying to say it’s better/worse… Just the only thing I’m familiar with. =]

Way to go for starting over! Sometimes that’s the hardest part, but to keep trying is so important! You can do it!

Jannine
    March 22, 2012 at 2:09 am

Boy can I relate to this post. And, it happened to come at the same time that I am trying to figure out a new direction as well.

You are courageous for facing the issue head on and for walking away from something that, while familiar and comfortable, is just not working for you.

Keep on keeping on; you inspire me.

March 22, 2012 at 1:55 pm

I know several people who are facing the same “should I change/not change” scenario right now..and a few who have done it…Wish us all luck.

And thank you…

Oozaroo
    March 22, 2012 at 2:33 am

Thanks so much for mentioning the Sparkpeople app for your phone! I have been thinking about counting calories, too, so this is just a great time for me to read today’s post, and go, “Yeah, I can do that, too!” I just downloaded the app and I’m so excited!

March 22, 2012 at 1:55 pm

I love the little SP app…Did I mention that I love it?

Caylie
    March 22, 2012 at 3:27 am

Thank you for this post.
    I have been ‘lost’ the last couple months.
    I use to track on Sparkpeople, and had success, but then life happened. And I missed one day of tracking. Then another. And another. And here we are 4 months later, and I’m eating horribly and losing nothing but energy.
    Your post opened my eyes. Though I’ve known it for a while, I need to track, I just didn’t want to take the time to do it.
    So, thank you for being open and honest. And for opening my eyes to what I need to start doing again.

March 22, 2012 at 1:56 pm

Well, Caylie…the truth is that I had to open my eyes for myself. I’m glad you’re opening yours too. There’s power in that.

Liz
    March 22, 2012 at 7:50 am

They are both challenging in their own ways. I never actually feel like working out (except on my rest days because I feel I should be doing something, is that weird?) and I just love food. I don’t love strawberries, or apples, or celery. I love cookies, cupcakes, juicy burgers and boneless buffalo wings. A lot of the time it is very hard to not give into temptation and when I do give in I feel terrible ( like most of us on this journey). It’s a struggle and I wish so much that I enjoyed healthy food, and I am trying to incorporate some into my diet at least. At the end of the day you just have to do what works for you. best of luck!

March 22, 2012 at 1:58 pm

You know, with food, I just started telling myself that I liked some healthy things too, and it turns out I was right. I like a lot of junk, but I like egg whites, turkey, Bosc pears, oranges, Greek yogurt, strawberries, etc. I bet there are some things you like that you’re just not thinking about right now.

Hilary @ The Big Weight
      March 27, 2012 at 2:04 pm

It’s refreshing to hear you say this Liz! I feel the exact same way about the fruits and veggies. I would pick those other foods “bad” foods over the fruits/veggies hands down. I do WW and my hardest challenge is incorporating the servings of fruits/vegs everyday. I struggle big time with that. Anyhow… I just liked reading this because it seems like a lot of weight loss bloggers go head over heels for fruits/vegs.. and I just can’t get into it.

Mary C. Weaver, CSCS
    March 22, 2012 at 7:57 am

Kenlie–

I follow your blog and your excellent progress. I’m a big believer in calorie tracking, and I hope it is useful to you.

This may sound like heresy, but I can’t reconcile these two facts: 1. you’ve lost 12 pounds since Jan. 1 and 2. you believe you aren’t making significant progress.

That pace of fat loss may be much slower than you’d like, but 12 pounds in less than 12 weeks *is* significant progress. I’m concerned that you might be seeing success as failure.

Wishing you all the best,
    Mary

March 22, 2012 at 2:03 pm

Thanks for those thoughts, Mary. Here’s where my head is…If I had done my best (or even moderately) over the last month, I’d feel much better about where I stand, but since mid-February, I haven’t been doing all I can do – not even close. And that’s not okay…

Thanks again for being concerned and reminding me that I’ve had some level of success.

Alissa
    March 22, 2012 at 8:01 am

I can relate to this post too. I recently made the decision to quit WW after basically maintiaining my weight for over a year, which isn’t good when you still have over 60 lbs to lose! I lost 80 lbs. on WW before they switched to Points Plus and then the weight loss stalled. I wish you the best of luck!

marthabilski
    March 22, 2012 at 8:05 am

my biggest challenge is exercise and food. or food and exercise. or both. I love to exercise but with my commute I am out of the house 14 hours a day!!! and when I get home I am knackered. As for food, well I was using ww, livelong and the nike app for exercise but I stopped using them all and if you don’t use them, they don’t work. I guess my biggest challenge is motivation. I find it impossible to stay motivated for more than a couple of months. I was doing great with exercise last year until I got pneumonia, and since then I have been to the gym three times. I am very discouraged and i am considering going back to ww just for the meetings but get put off with all of the selling they need to do during the meeting. can;t it just be enough that we pay to be there. why must they hawk their products the whole time? ok I guess I have gone on enough. keep writing. I will keep reading.

Sarah
      March 22, 2012 at 4:55 pm

Martha,
      You should find another WW meeting, mine never even mentions WW products. Good Luck!

Jodi
    March 22, 2012 at 8:08 am

Kenlie I am so proud of you for trying something new. I do think that you are headed in the right direction. I would never discount how far you have come but I think the fact that you recognize a need for change is significant. We are all learning about ourselves as we get healther. For me I have to learn how to maintain without falling back into old habits and how to accept that my food issues WILL NEVER GO AWAY! (thats been a tough pill to swallow (no pun intended) (I could have said a tough cupcake to swallow)). I have so much faith in you. I pray for you every single day that you beat this and continue to get stronger and healthier.

marissa
    March 22, 2012 at 8:49 am

you have no idea how much I can relate to this post! you have done an incredible job and like I always say on my site, weight loss is a lifestyle journey AND struggle with temptations and life getting in the way all too often! but it’s how we rise above those challenges and come out on top that make us great…and you are GREAT! you will do this and stick to this and overcome this struggle! I struggle with emotional eating EVERY single day and the large amount of my weight loss was back in 2002! crazy, right?

Gail @ Shrinking Sisters
    March 22, 2012 at 9:00 am

Hey, what’s your SparkPeople user name? I’m SKINNYGAIL (because of my old blog name, not because of my thighs). We can all “friend” each other on Spark. The Android app is also great as well, and I can track on my Kindle Fire, too.

Peg
    March 22, 2012 at 9:29 am

I don’t know who said losing weight is easy, because if it was, I’d be skinny. Bottom line – eat less and be active is easy to say, not always easy to do. I constantly struggle with poor choices, usually in the evening. Yesterday I did great until the sun went down and then I went through about 15 hershey kisses and several servings of potato chips. I threw out what’s left of the chips and the kisses this morning and I’m back to trying again. Thank goodness I start class 2 nights a week the beginning of April.

I have to tell you, I’d be thrilled if I managed 12 lbs in 12 weeks. You need to give yourself a lot of credit for making that much progress. I keep losing and gaining the same 5 lbs. I’m going to keep plugging away and I’m glad to see you are too!

T
    March 22, 2012 at 9:33 am

Bravo to you! Was totally in the same boat. Had huge success with the old program mainly doing flex and then dropped a ton with core. I could not get into this pointsplus for the life of me and my weight stalled. I now track calories on Myfitnesspal.com (app too!) and I’m in love. The weight is coming off. Know what else I love? I’m not obsessed with points anymore! I can just eat and track. I also loved WW for the support and accountability. But you know what? I have to be accountable for myself. I’m not paying 40 a month for that accountability.

Good luck hon, you will do fantastic! Can’t wait to see your progress 🙂

Erin Alexander
    March 22, 2012 at 9:38 am

I’ve been tracking calories diligently for almost 70 days (my app tells me how may days in row I’ve logged) and I know thats whats helping me to actually lose weight. I’m down 17lbs since the start of the year. I used to track calories with a ho hum attitude, but once I really committed to it 100% it started to work!

Good Luck! You’ve come along way, and you will succeed!

Brooke
    March 22, 2012 at 9:47 am

I was struggling with WW too, I got into a maintenance phase when I first started back last June. 2lbs up 2lbs down every other week. So, obviously, if I was maintaining I needed to reduce what I was eating to see a loss (b/c I was exercising already). So, I found out that WW allows you (they do not suggest) to manually change your daily (and now weekly) points. I adjusted my points down by 3pts the first go round and started losing 1lb a week after that and continued on a good path for a while (had set backs during a cruise and then holidays). Once I got passed the setbacks, i was having trouble losing again, so my dr. actually asked me to try cutting my carb intake. She didn’t give me a number or tell me to do it, she asked. So, I estimated my intake around 300-400 carbs a day……..so I cut it to 150. I also lowered my points by 2 again (b/c I had lost a few lbs again). I’m now back to losing 1lb a week again. I know this isn’t a lot for some people, but its consistent for me and I’m okay with that. I track my points and when I enter a food I put parenthesis beside it with the carb content and count those too. It seems to be working. In the past, No carbs or low carbs has been drastic, like 20 carbs a day……..while the weight would come off faster, I probably would kill someone b/c I’m really addicted to carbs, I KNOW for a fact that I go through withdraw just like a drug addict. So instead of ripping the bandaid off, I’m slowly peeling it away and hoping that it will help me meet my goals. We all have to do what works for us. Everyone is different.

Tara
    March 22, 2012 at 10:29 am

Can I ask a (maybe stupid) question?

Why don’t you go back to the old WW program? It seemed to work really well for you, I know there is still lots of resources on the internet to help you follow it and it’s always an option.

Don’t get me wrong, I really love Spark People (I used it to track, even though I belonged to WW) but it seems like you already know what work(ed) for you, so I don’t see why you can’t revert back to the old program on your own.

March 22, 2012 at 2:28 pm

It is too hard to go back…Unfortunately, WW didn’t allow us to continue tracking online with Momentum, and that’s how I did it. I hate it, but it was difficult to track Momentum while everyone at the meeting was talking points plus…proving to myself (long before I was ready to admit it) that while WW was SO GOOD for me, it’s no longer exactly what I need.

March 22, 2012 at 2:28 pm

And that wasn’t a stupid question at all!

Karla
    March 22, 2012 at 10:50 am

when WWers went to the points plus I was soo excited I went in asnd spent $100 to join and buy every points plus thing they had!!! I had been doing WWers on my own forever and was successful at it so I wanted to try the newest, latest and greatest 🙂 I knew WWers worked and loved it!!

I ended up feeling betrayed… weird huh? I felt like they didn’t do enough research and almost like it was a financial decision … slow everyones weight loss and make more money

I struggled for several months after… trying to figure it all out again :::sigh:::

but I am back to what worked for me in the beginning, I count old WWer points on my own and depend on the blogging community for their support

hope you find your way, and what works for you. I love your blog. I am not a frequent commenter, but I am a frequesnt reader

God bless 🙂

Frances D
    March 22, 2012 at 12:36 pm

I’ve been reading your blog for inspiration – it’s simply great. I want to take one more crack at doing it on my own, before I go the medically supervised route (fasts, shakes, pills). I also don’t want to do lap band or any other type of surgery. As a die-hard blog I know keeping a dedicated site would help – my last couple of attempts tanked – but I’m giving that another shot asap. So again let me say you have a super blog, and thanks for the inspiration. 🙂

Amanda
    March 22, 2012 at 12:49 pm

They’re both a challenge for me, and I’m no longer actively seeking to lose weight. I track my calories every day (on SparkPeople, no less!), and I kick myself to my home gym 6 days a week as well. If I don’t get up at 5:00 AM and exercise, I know that means I’ll have to find a way to squeeze it in before I go to bed — and with two children who have homework, one husband who likes his wife, and needing to SLEEP in general, that takes some doing!

It’s also worth every minute, every time.

You can do this. Make like Nike 🙂

Melinda
    March 22, 2012 at 1:17 pm

You have to do what works for you. Last year, I left WW to do SparkPeople exclusively. I did have success–then I had a medical setback that brought almost back to my starting point. Then I struggled.

I still do SparkPeople, but I recently went back to WW as well. I also came to the (painful…haha!) conclusion that you have to track, whether it is points or calories. It was just easier for me to wrap my mind around points than it was for calories.

Good luck with SparkPeople! They also have SparkPeople Live, which are virtual meetings. I did those as well and found them very helpful.

Erin Miller Tosspon
    March 22, 2012 at 2:31 pm

I find that if I don’t track everything, I get way off base. I was with WW for almost a year, but the Points Plus didn’t work for me either. I’ve kept 100 pounds off for 10 years. It’s time to tackle the rest. I’m using the app Lose It. I’m going to take a look at SparklePeople. I started doing 30-Day shred and I LOVE IT. It makes me feel strong. I’ve been walking every day, too. I find that I do see the scale drop when I track and move my butt….IMAGINE THAT! I like knowing that I’m not alone, and you sharing your journey with us gives me that feeling.

Kat Stewart
    March 22, 2012 at 5:38 pm

Kenlie, I hit sparkpeople on your blog and have signed up. Am now thoroughly confused and mighty scared. But we’ll see, we’ll see. Am starting slowly and going for the 10-min. walk, daily journaling and 8 glasses of water to begin. I think I can do this much. Thanks (I think!) for your blog. I’ll be reading it much more closely now.

March 22, 2012 at 6:04 pm

LOL Kat..it’s okay to choose one focus…you know? You don’t have to start and go crazy. 🙂 I’m just tracking my food intake and workouts…that’s all.

Don’t hesitate to send me a private email (link at the top of my blog) if you want/need a little help!

Congrats to you for doing something awesome for yourself now.

UD
    March 22, 2012 at 6:42 pm

Can I just say that the slower you lose weight, the more likely you are to keep it off. Your new life is a WAY OF LIFE, not a diet. This eating and working out you’re doing, YOU’LL HAVE TO DO IT FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE. It doesn’t matter that you’ve lost 12 pounds, what matters is that you didn’t add 12 pounds to your weight! Stop being so hard on yourself for not losing weight faster. This is your life now, enjoy it.

Emily
    March 22, 2012 at 6:47 pm

Oh friend, I know how you feel! Sometimes we just spin in circles, right?

I’m a big believer in tracking, too. I used Sparkpeople for a long time, but the “messyness” of the site got to me. Loved it though. I track through Lose It now, just b/c it’s a bit simpler.

One thing I want to mention (because it was recently mentioned to me months ago by @LeavingFatville), and I don’t think I saw another comment addressing it. Are you sure that 1500 calories is enough? When I started at SparkPeople (and at Lose it) my reccomendation was 1800. I thought this was too much (and duh, wanted to lose more weight!) so I was eating around 1300. It took me 4 months of saying “why am I not losing weight!?” for Anda to suggest that I acutally listen to the program and eat the amount recommended.

Once I popped up into the range they suggested, my plateau broke. Sometimes our body needs MORE to lose more. Counter-intuitive I know. Just thought I would mention it, since it’s something I still struggle with and don’t quite understand. 😉

Cheering you on always, Kenlie!

Nina
    March 22, 2012 at 8:42 pm

I use MyFitnessPal.com I try to track every day, but without judgment. I do try to stick to 2000 cals … but I also make sure to track the really bad days. I think it’s important to face the 5000 cal car crash times and move forward. Working out has been very hard for me because I have injuries right now. I can only basically bike and do arm stuff.

Cat
    March 22, 2012 at 9:30 pm

Food is the tougher of the two for me. I love the feeling a good workout gives me, so it’s not hard to find that motivation. I do well most of the time, and occasionally I work a treat into my day, but it’s a harder struggle.

I LOVE Sparkpeople! And I like it even better now with my new Android phone app! The app for Blackberry was a little infuriating.

Lots of luck to you! Looking forward to reading the next chapter in your journey.

wendy
    March 22, 2012 at 10:07 pm

Hey i am needwantwill on there! Feel free to look me up and friend me. I would do the looking and friending but so far that part has evaded me;)
    I like the site oodlles and doodles! Everyone is nice…actual speakpeople personel are on the site Nd identified easily and truethfully i don’t find a tenth of the judgment and snark i did on ww’s boards.
    I am working throuh the walk a 5k your way plan (end of week 3) and am loving it! I need to be on my game more food wise and will get there but riht now i am making more and more wiser food choices enjoying my exercise for the first time ever:)

Holly
    March 22, 2012 at 11:09 pm

I love spark people. And I know what you choose will work b/c once you commit that’s it!! Food is so hard for me too. I totally get it!

Alyssa
    March 22, 2012 at 11:39 pm

Wow, I still think it’s so bizarre we both made the same decision the same day.. and you were eating the same amount of calories I was. Crazy! We’re twins! Here’s to our next adventure in calorie counting land. *Clinks Fake Glass of Beer*

Heather
    March 23, 2012 at 12:24 am

I think you are probably making the right decision for you. I feel like losing weight is such a experiment with what works for you. Everyone is different. Exceptionally so.

I remember when I first started out, I was logging everything, and trying to make good decisions here and there. I gradually, through it all, started to become more stringent with my diet. I hated logging everything I ate, and I eventually stopped. I had a good idea after doing all the logging how much everything was calorically. Logging wasn’t my favorite thing. Maybe when I plateau again, it might be something I have to do as I get closer to my goal.

But somehow the switch has flipped, and I am intuitively eating now. I eat until I am not hungry, eating slower, and listening to my body. I still have my yum-yums (bad food), but I eat it in moderation. I think the trick for me was just doing it slowly.

I can work out until I’m blue in the face, the working out part to me seems like the easiest thing you can do. But I know a lot of people struggle with it. And that’s why it’s such a personal journey. I think you have to shake it up to keep losing, and just try to find what works for you. But kudos for trying to do something new! I’m on spark people too as hboojum! Wishing you the best!

Elaine
    March 23, 2012 at 9:44 am

Hi Kenlie,
    First of all I really have to thank you for doing this blog because you constantly inspire me and let me know I’m not alone in this quest for health and weight loss.

I hope I can gently remind you that you are still doing a great job of losing weight, because even though your weight loss has slowed down recently, you are still losing and haven’t quit!!! It sound like you are going through something like a plateau, but you ARE still losing, so keep your chin up! You are now re-evaluating your approach to weight loss, and that seems like the right thing to do now; you may find you were consuming more calories than you thought, or something else may be responsible for the slower weight loss, but keep searching and keep trying and you’ll figure it out.

I feel that Sparkpeople is the best resource I’ve found for healthy weight loss and support, in fact, that’s how I found you. The volume of information (and support) on Sparkpeople is amazing, and I’m sure you can find more info there regarding progress on your weight loss journey. Good luck and keep on with your wonderful efforts!

Elaine
    March 23, 2012 at 9:45 am

Hi Kenlie,

I want to gently remind you that you are still doing a great job of losing weight, because even though your weight loss has slowed down recently, you are still losing and haven’t quit!!! It sound like you are going through something like a plateau, but you ARE still losing, so keep your chin up! You are now re-evaluating your approach to weight loss, and that seems like the right thing to do now; you may find you were consuming more calories than you thought, or something else may be responsible for the slower weight loss, but keep searching and keep trying and you’ll figure it out.

I feel that Sparkpeople is the best resource I’ve found for healthy weight loss and support. The volume of information (and support) on Sparkpeople is amazing, and I’m sure you can find more info there regarding progress on your weight loss journey. Good luck and keep on with your wonderful efforts!

Xazmin
    March 25, 2012 at 2:53 pm

Food for me…absolutely. But they sort of play off each other. If I am eating well, I feel more motivated to continue it with exercise. Or if I’ve been exercising all week, I am more reluctant to “ruin it”, but eating something I shouldn’t.

On the flip side, if I don’t exercise, I feel like – well, I’ve already failed today. Might as well eat whatever I want. And vice-versa as well.

fatboy kris
    March 29, 2012 at 10:21 am

Just set a calorie limit that is (at least) above BMR and you will gradually make it to goal. Here’s the best calculator I’ve seen…