Dating Friend Makin' Mondays

Friend Makin’ Mondays: Online Dating

If you participate in FMM regularly, then you know that I usually try to have it ready by midnight eastern time, but that didn’t happen today.  Sorry about that!  The last couple of weeks have been incredibly busy so I spent most of Sunday evening working on mid-term essays that are due later today.  Now I have some reading to do, but first, let’s talk about online dating.

If you’ve taken part in FMM then you know the rules. If you’re new, please take a moment to answer this week’s question on your own blog then add your link in the comments section here at: www.alltheweigh.com so we can all see your FMM questions and answers. Please invite your blog readers to add their links here too so everyone has to opportunity to be seen. The idea is to connect with other awesome bloggers so take a moment to post your own FMM post and comment on a couple of other posts. Now it’s time for this week’s topic!

FMM: Online Dating

1. Have you ever tried online dating? Yep.
  2. If you’ve done it, what did you like about it? What did you dislike?  I like the idea that someone can get to know you before judging your appearance.  The downside is that someone can like you until they see you, and it’s almost worse knowing that they think you’re awesome, yet unattractive.
  3. If you haven’t done it, would you? If you have done it, would you do it again? Why or why not?  Sure, why not?  I’ve been lucky to meet some incredible people through my blog and online.  A few sucked, sure, but for the most part, it’s been a positive experience.
  4. What precautions would you take before going out with someone that you met online? Hmm, I’d have to speak with them by phone first.  No robots or creepy old guys, you know?
  5. Do you have a favorite dating site?  If so, what is it?  No, I signed up for match.com at one point and okcupid.com at another point, but I decided that I’m far too insecure to put myself out there all the time…
  6. What questions would you ask before agreeing to a date?  I’d ask about their career, hobbies, education, ambitions, etc.
  7. How long would you correspond with someone online before meeting them?  I suppose it depends on the situation….probably not long.
  8. In your opinion, what are the pros to meeting someone online?  It’s easier to get to know someone when physical pressure doesn’t exist immediately.
  9. In your opinion, what are the cons of online dating? It’s tough to get to know someone only to realize that the physical attraction isn’t there for one or both of you.
  10. Share a funny or embarrassing online dating experience with us if you have one.  Um, hmm…My parents read this…so I don’t think so. 😉

Now it’s your turn!  Don’t forget to post your answers then come back and link up in the comments!  Happy Monday friends!

Deborah (Schmiet)
    March 19, 2012 at 3:06 am

I’ve tried online dating too – though not for quite a few years (am waiting to lose more weight!!!).

I completely agree re most of your points. The thing that frustrated me is that you ‘connected’ with this person online but honestly, I met a couple of guys whose faces DROPPED when they saw me – and I wasn’t even that big then! Usually they recovered the and dates were okay, but still….

Also, I’m a big fan of the notion of chemistry and it’s harder to get that online… there’s nothing like eyes meeting across a room etc (I still live in hope!)

Deb

March 19, 2012 at 12:05 pm

Eyes across the room….yes. That’s definitely ideal. hehe

KCLAnderson (Karen)
      March 19, 2012 at 2:16 pm

Interesting about the “chemistry-eyes-across-the-room” thing. For me, meeting guys the traditional way was dangerous because I tended to be attracted (both physically and emotionally) to a certain type of guy: tall, dark, and dangerous…and they were attracted to me. Meaning that they were likely to use me and I would allow it. When I met Tim (who’d I met online via AOL’s old “Romance Connection” in 1994) in person, I was not immediately attracted to him and that was a GOOD thing. There’s a definite benefit to seeing what happens when you open yourself up to meeting guys to whom you’re not initially “attracted.”

March 19, 2012 at 8:47 pm

Really good point. It certainly works to my benefit if someone gets to know me first…

Tammy
    March 19, 2012 at 7:21 am

I wish I could play today, but way back in the dark ages when I got married (1985), online dating didn’t exist!

March 19, 2012 at 12:05 pm

You are adorable Tammy…just saying.

Carina
    March 19, 2012 at 8:47 am

Married but I answered. But maybe my only somewhat valuable contribution was at the end when you asked about the cons of online dating — it might have prevented me from finding my match.

Lori Lynn
    March 19, 2012 at 8:55 am

I have tried online dating multiple times, but it just never seems to work out. I did actually meet a guy last year that I went on several dates with, and though he was a really nice guy, our personalities just didn’t mesh.

March 19, 2012 at 12:06 pm

Yeah…sometimes a nice still isn’t automatically the right guy..

mary
    March 19, 2012 at 9:09 am

yep tried it, met some great guys and not so great guys. my answers would be too long for a post hahaha

Jenn
    March 19, 2012 at 9:18 am

I’m a lucky one! I met my husband – the love of my life through online dating.

March 19, 2012 at 12:06 pm

Nice! This will be exciting to read!

Nina Patricia
    March 19, 2012 at 10:58 am

I really hope more people participate so i can read some funny stories. My Single friend always amazes me with the people she meets of Craiglist (scary).

March 19, 2012 at 12:07 pm

Me too, Nina…me too! It looks like there are some funny stories coming up.

Lisa
    March 19, 2012 at 10:58 am

Happy Monday! Hope everyone had a great St. Patrick’s Day!
    I have positive answers for this one!

March 19, 2012 at 12:08 pm

Positive answers for this one? Awesome…Looking forward to that..

Carina
    March 19, 2012 at 11:01 am

I mostly just participated b/c I needed a topic today to get in some minutes of writing, but I’ve never done it. But glad I didn’t b/c I think I would have had some bad filters that would have ruled out meeting my husband if he’d been online dating at the time.

Really looking forward to seeing if some people post some fun stories.

March 19, 2012 at 12:08 pm

Interesting statement about your hubs…I’m curious to hear.

Brooke
    March 19, 2012 at 11:05 am

Oh yea, I’m doing it now. Its certainly disconcerting at times. But the best thing I did was be up front about my weight. Experts tell you not to say negative things about yourself, but I don’t count it as negative I count it as honest. Why would I hide something that is obviously important in a relationship, which is physical attraction. Why waste my precious time on talking to a guy who will not find me attractive. I make sure I post pictures of close ups and full length, so they get the clue right off the bat. Then I post a few sentences about trying to be more fit and healthy, but having junk in the trunk (humor sometimes help it not come across as not confident). If they still don’t get it, then I guess they are probably too dense for me to be dating anyway. Trust me there are more frogs out there than princes. I think you have to be confident and sure of what you DON’T want in a guy and not afraid to be pretty honest and upfront.

March 19, 2012 at 12:09 pm

You’re right…even though it’s hard to do. You’re so right about this. Good luck in finding a prince. 😉

Chi Chi
    March 19, 2012 at 11:52 am

I have had many a disaster or two from online dating, but it hasn’t deterred me yet. I had many stories but I only chose one.

March 19, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Oh boy..sounds interesting…Checking it out.

Tabitha M.
    March 19, 2012 at 12:35 pm

I met my husband in a AOL chatroom in 2001. We talked on the phone for a year before we met. After meeting, I knew I was in love (he knew before we met in person). He moved to Indiana to be with me shortly after. We now have two daughters.

March 19, 2012 at 8:48 pm

What a great story, Tabitha!

Nina Patricia
      March 20, 2012 at 8:21 pm

My Hubs move from NYC to be with me too 🙂
      gotta love those good men out there

Grace @ Healthy Dreaming
    March 19, 2012 at 1:04 pm

I’ve never online dated before. My sister is in her mid-20s and won’t do it until she’s closer to 30 (that’s what she says)

I love hearing stories of people finding love though!

FMM: Online Dating | Reduced Fat Girl
    March 19, 2012 at 2:04 pm

[…] your own online dating story to tell? Link up here! This entry was posted in Just Babble by Mae. Bookmark the […]

Mae
    March 19, 2012 at 2:05 pm

It’s like you’re reading what’s on my mind, Kenlie!

March 19, 2012 at 8:48 pm

That’s kind of awesome, isn’t it?

KCLAnderson (Karen)
    March 19, 2012 at 2:10 pm

I met my husband in the early days of online dating, 1994, via AOL’s old “Romance Connection.” It was basically an online version of personal ads 🙂 I wrote about it extensively in a series of blog posts called How I Learned To Love.

Summer
    March 19, 2012 at 2:27 pm

On-line dating has many pros and cons. I had mostly positive experiences, and it taught me a lot about myself. However, as with dating in general there are always crazies. Some people are dishonest. I had men lie to me about their age and their martial status. I began googling and checking the county clerk of courts. That part was kind of sad. Anyhow, long story short though I married the last man I met on-line this year on Valentine’s after three years of dating. I think it’s becoming more common.

Tiffany
    March 19, 2012 at 2:49 pm

Not much to report on this one…

Deb
    March 19, 2012 at 3:35 pm

http://debslosingit.com/fmm-online-dating/ is mine. Not my favorite topic, but at least I’ve got some experience with it… lol.

Bella
    March 19, 2012 at 3:45 pm

Oh, do I have stories to tell!! I’m pressed for time at the moment, but once I get a spare few minutes, I’ll come back and post my link. Fun topic.

March 19, 2012 at 8:49 pm

Cool Bella…Can’t wait to hear about it.

Erin
    March 19, 2012 at 5:04 pm

Just another sad, old married… ;o)

Shelley B
    March 19, 2012 at 5:30 pm

I met my husband through online dating in 2004. I randomly clicked a popup ad, sent a message to the first guy whose profile I liked, and we’ve been together ever since! I guess I’m pretty lucky–I didn’t have to wade through several guys before finding a great one.
    He’s pretty shy at first, and I’m not a big flirt, either, so I’m not sure how we would have met without the internet!

Izzib3th
    March 19, 2012 at 10:14 pm

Trying this Friend Makin’ Mondays thang out for the first time. 🙂

I met my boyfriend online. Two years together in September. Jebus…. time flies….

FMM: Online Dating
    March 19, 2012 at 11:55 pm

[…] answer this week’s question on your own blog then add your link in the comments section here at: www.alltheweigh.com so we can all see your FMM questions and answers. Please invite your blog readers to add their links […]

Kelly @ No Thanks to Cake
    March 20, 2012 at 12:00 am

Can’t wait to go through and read these… I need some tips and to hear some success stories! 🙂

Kelly @ No Thanks to Cake
    March 20, 2012 at 12:02 am

Looking forward to reading all the other entries and hearing some success stories! I need some motivation to get back online and find him…

Off day today, so: FMM: Online Dating « Eric Van De Vens Blog
    March 20, 2012 at 7:12 am

[…] answer this week’s question on your own blog then add your link in the comments section here at: www.alltheweigh.com so we can all see your FMM questions and answers. Please invite your blog readers to add their […]

Eric Van De Ven
    March 20, 2012 at 7:59 am

FMM: Online Dating
    Have you ever tried online dating? No
    If you’ve done it, what did you like about it? What did you dislike?
    If you haven’t done it, would you? If you have done it, would you do it again? Why or why not? I wouldn’t do it, primarily because I am married I wouldn’t have to as I already have to many chasing me around as it is!
    Do you have a favorite dating site? If so, what is it? No.
    What questions would you ask before agreeing to a date? Have you ever been convicted of a felony?
    How long would you correspond with someone online before meeting them? Probably a day. If they hadn’t peaked my interest by then, I’d move on to the next one.
    In your opinion, what are the pros to meeting someone online? Probably a safe way to have some fun, until you actually meet the person!
    In your opinion, what are the cons of online dating? Could be talking to a crazy possessive woman…or man!
    Share a funny or embarrassing online dating experience with us if you have one. I’ve never done it, so, no story.

Nanci
    March 23, 2012 at 12:25 pm

I forgot to add the link for mine on Monday….