Let’s Talk About Lunch

by Kenlie Tiggeman on March 28, 2012

Yesterday was the busiest day I’ve had in the last week, and I accomplished everything on my to-do list including staying within my caloric target and working out.  I should have spent more time studying for my quiz this afternoon, but I did get an abbreviated lecture from my professor because I missed last week’s class.  And I’ll go early to go over my notes which means I need to be prepared so I can stay on target with food.

I’ll be out most of the day which means I’ll eat lunch at school so I prepared my lunch (and a few snacks) last night.  For lunch, I’ll have a turkey wrap that I made using a Mission Carb Smart tortilla, *two ounces of turkey breast, 1/2 c. fresh baby spinach, 1 light Laughing Cow wedge and half of a Roma tomato.  I might also eat a salad at some point as well with more spinach, cabbage, beans sprouts and and ounce or two of salmon.  The wrap will be about 249 calories, and the salad will be worth less than 100 calories.

I also packed a pickle and a serving of raw almonds because I like to be prepared.  And I suppose it’s smarter to snack on a 12 calorie dill pickle than a bag of chips, and they seem to satisfy my craving for chips which is a nice break.  I’ve also packed two 32 oz. Nalgene bottles that are filled with water.  I take them almost everywhere.  I’ll drink 64 oz  then refill at some point throughout the day so I can drink a gallon of water today.  I’ve been doing that for a while, and my body seems to like it.

What are you having for lunch today?  Do you plan ahead?  Do you pack your meals to take on the go?

*Normally, I’d eat more turkey, but I need to go to the supermarket.  I’ll do that later tonight or tomorrow.

{ 13 comments… read them below or add one }

Karla March 28, 2012 at 7:51 am

People tease me ALL. THE. TIME. Because I pack my food…. Work, shopping, meetings doesn’t matter I like to know what I am eating

Erin Alexander March 28, 2012 at 8:31 am

I’m ALWAYS packing! I work at 5 in the morning, so I take breakfast with me to work. I always keep a lunch with me in case I get hungry although I usually wait until I get off at 11:30. And on the days I work my second job (two or three times a week) I take dinner with me there, because I need to eat at least 2 hours before I go to bed to avoid heartburn.

Ashley March 28, 2012 at 9:45 am

Today’s menu is chicken fajitas. More often than not my lunches are leftovers.

Steelers6 March 28, 2012 at 10:00 am

I’m one to take my cute little lunchbag with me everywhere too. Even if I’m not going to be gone over lunch, I still need to take my food with me in case I get hungry, and bc you just never know.

I usually pack a Chobani greek yogurt, clementines, trail mix, etc. If I get too hungry I can feel sick, and if I have to consider fast food…well there really aren’t any very satisfactory options. [although I think you can buy just a banana at Sonic!] I have also started keeping a Kind bar in my car for emergencies. So yeah, I’ve been known to sit in a parking lot and eat a Chobani. :)

I also have one of those insulated water tumbler/cups with straw for my water. I keep a gallon jug of water in my car & at work and refill, refill, refill, since water is what I drink as well.

Chrissy

Steelers6 March 28, 2012 at 10:01 am

Oops, I guess I didn’t really talk about lunch too much, talked more about between meal eating. Hope I’m still welcome here! Haha.

Chrissy

Emily March 28, 2012 at 10:09 am

I’m really good about planning meals on the days I work, but I’m awful about planning meals on my days off. Like today, I’m working, so I brought grapes and blackberries, broccoli and hummus, a Zone bar for breakfast, greek yogurt, and Popchips. I’ll have either a Healthy Choice entree or a Jimmy John’s unwich Turkey Tom (turkey lettuce wrap, essentially) for lunch. Dinner will be whatever I can fit with the calories and needed nutrition I have left at the end of the day. I have a water cup at work that I refill one to two times a day, so I’m drinking at least 64 oz of water, if not closer to 96.

Shannon March 28, 2012 at 10:32 am

My hubby bought me a Bento box which I love! I had been talking aboutb getting them for our girls. They have interchangeable sized compartments and an insulated carrying case so it makes portioning a breeze. I ALWAYS pack. There are to many temptations out there. I like to pack greek yogurt with a bit of granola, some sort of fruit (blueberries have been plentiful lately), and some lunch meat with cheese-sans bread most days. If I feel like I need a little carb action, I like the bagel thins, half the calories and very tasty.

We have been trying to do 5 small meals a day as oppsed to three larger ones and the bento helps me keep portions under controland depending on what I pack can either be 1 larger meal or 2 smaller ones.

Sneaker Teacher March 28, 2012 at 12:02 pm

As a teacher I always have to pack my lunch ahead of time, but it is something I hate doing. I don’t know why, but it always seems like a chore. I am home now (spring break + maternity leave) and I prefer being able to just eat when I want (lunch at school is at 10:40!). I find that I am much more willing to steam some veggies or cut up some fruit if I am going to eat it right away.

Amanda March 28, 2012 at 12:22 pm

I always try to pack my lunch ahead of time, but it’s usually in the morning while I’m cooling down after my workout. I have access to several microwaves at work so I’ve been bringing soup (my current fav – Trader Joe’s Latin Black Bean). We also have a toaster oven so I make a lot of open face sandwiches (I have the best egg salad recipe – delightful).

Today for lunch I have black bean soup with a burrito that I purchased at Costco (it’s 6 points+, but I don’t remember calories). I also have hummus and broccoli. Yesterday was my birthday and my co-workers brought me homemade angel food cake and deliciously ripe strawberries. I plan on having that for my mid-afternoon snack. I follow Weight Watchers (obviously) and I try to have my largest meal mid-day.

Kat Stewart March 28, 2012 at 1:53 pm

I usually don’t plan ahead, but then I’m never far from home. Still working on the ten-minute daily walk, 64 oz. of H2O and journal daily. But I’m glad I read your post today because I, too, have a craving for chips–specifically, Lay’s original potato chips–and now am going to outfit my fridge with dill pickles. Thanks for the tip!

Tammy March 28, 2012 at 1:58 pm

I’m a brown-bagger, too. My lunch varies from leftovers to frozen dinners. I pack fruit, cheese, and a 100-calorie treat (Fiber One brownie, South Beach snack bar, microwave popcorn to name a few) to round out lunch and as snacks. I drink water at work, but this morning, I had a 20-oz. Sprite Zero (I don’t know why, but I just wanted one). We also have a cafeteria, but I usually only buy salad there (everything else seems so heavy).

Today I was running late, so I had a WW Smart Ones and some grapes.

aggie March 28, 2012 at 5:34 pm

Maybe not a new idea, but I pack two lunches (one for Monday, one for Tuesday, etc.) because I generally eat the same thing for lunch. I hate being too routinized, so I like having a day off from packing a lunch. Otherwise, then at 9:00 PM… I’m thinking, ughhhhh… I have to do THAT too. Usually I have a salad with whatever veggies I have and I add some kidney beans for protein. I have a salad saver that has a cold pack (that you can freeze) that attaches to the container. So my salad stays cold until lunch time! I also bring fruits and veggies and other healthy snacks to work to eat during the day.

Heather March 31, 2012 at 5:44 pm

Because I saw the laughing cow it made me think of this. I want to try these for lunch someday: