There’s More To Life Than the Scale…

Today is my regular weigh-in day, but I’m skipping it.  I’ll weigh-in at home tomorrow unofficially.  I missed last week because I was out of town, and I’m skipping tonight to see Gavin DeGraw and Mary J. Blige in a private concert.  More fun than weighing in?  Yeah, I think so…I’m skipping next week too though I’ll catch a meeting in New York next week.  I’ll also weigh myself at home tomorrow to remind myself that I’m on track in spite of everything else.

This is an old picture, but it's one of my favorites. I think it's time for an update, isn't it?

If you’ve read my blog for any length of time then you may know that I adore Gavin.  And while I don’t know all of Mary J. Blige’s songs, I’m looking forward to seeing her because she makes great music…and she’s from Westchester County (more specifically, Yonkers, NY) which makes me automatically love her.

In other news, it has been nearly two weeks since I worked out – the longest stretch in the last few years, and I don’t like it.  I don’t feel 100%, but my injury has healed up enough for me to jump back into it.  And while I still feel under the weather, I’m no longer sick enough to skip workouts.  Maybe I’ll get my appetite back soon too though I won’t complain about not feeling like eating.

How do you feel when you miss a weigh-in (voluntary or not?)  Do you use it as an excuse? Motivation? Neither?

30 thoughts on “There’s More To Life Than the Scale…

1. Angela

I’ve gotten to the point where I HATE missing a workout! I had to miss yesterday due to being sick, after having a 13 day stretch of working out, was NOT happy about that. Still sick, but I briskly walked up and down my stairs for 15 mins for some movement and after lunch I’ll be doing a walk at home dvd a couple times to keep me on track with my weekly mile goal. I’m more than confident that you will get back on track with your workouts, you enjoy the high from them too much not to. :)

1. Kenlie Post author

It sounds like you worked out all of the days that I didn’t. I HATE missing workouts, but some days all I did was stay in bed. Other days I accomplished things that I had to then got back into bed…Not fun.

2. Tammy

I knew you had been sick, but I didn’t know you were also injured. I’ve been weighing at home, but not at WW. The program just doesn’t seem to be working for me right now. I’m back to counting calories. I’m still going to the meetings because I paid for them, but I’m just now weighing.

Enjoy the concert!

1. Kenlie Post author

It’s the same embarrassing injury (for lack of a better word) that I wrote about a few months ago. Under my stomach is totally raw…It happens when I use the elliptical for more than a few miles without BodyGlide…About 8 miles in a few weeks ago, I realized that I wasn’t wearing it, and I’m paying for it big time.

1. Kenlie Post author

I’ll text an upcate Chrissy. My friend, Mel, posted some of Gavin and me on Facebook, and they’re awful. We’re talking in almost every photo…There’s one in which we look alright, but they’re not the best…ha

1. Kenlie Post author

Ditto on the workouts..I don’t like missing weigh-ins either though because I like the meetings that accompany them.

3. Ruthie

OMG!! GAVIN! I <3 him!! You are so lucky to have met him! Thanks for sharing this wonderful photo with us! :) Have a wonderful evening!

1. Kenlie Post author

He’s a really supportive and lovely person who has genuine affection for everyone around him…He’s a great person.

4. Amanda

Have fun!

I went to my first meeting in over a month this morning. It was super early, but I’m so glad I went. I have the best leader.

1. Kenlie Post author

I don’t know Amanda…I think I have the best leader. ;) It’s great to feel that way, isn’t it?

1. Kenlie Post author

Nina! That’s awesome! I’d love to see the scrapbook! Can you take pictures?

I think Gavin would be so honored too!

5. Emily

Great pic, friend! I met/interviewed Gavin years ago back in my “i’m going to be a music journalist” days. He was THE nicest person of all time. You two look great together – – perhaps Mr Kenz has been FOUND! ;)

6. Elena Anne

Although I’ve always been fit, never had a good relationship with the scales. I always tried to skip the weighing. But it is easy to get out of your diet. I think it’s good to be weighed every 3 days or so, to know what to do in the coming days. Good luck in trying to do! Good luck :)

1. Kenlie Post author

if I weighed in every three days, I’d go crazy..Ha..Once a week is generally enough though some weeks, I sneak a peek. I weighed in Sunday and found that I was down 4 pounds for February..Not bad considering I didn’t workout half of the month.

7. Half Chinked

I have not missed a WI yet. It would almost feel like falling off the wagon, so to speak. I am scared if I miss, I won’t go back. It takes me a lot of willpower to go in, even though I know it’s going to be a gain.

1. Kenlie Post author

I don’t miss meetings often, but it happens from time to time. I just keep going…….What else can ya do?

8. Lisa

I was weighing myself too much a few years ago. Now that I’ve been in maintenance mode for a few years now, I reduced it to once a month. Just a check-in. It worked well for me. Then I started to stress about that once a month weigh-in! So last summer I went scale-free as an experiment to see if I’d gain at all. I didn’t. I stayed the same and was also able to change my relationship with the scale for the better. Ever since then I haven’t thought about the scale much–if I forget my monthly weigh-in, it’s not a big deal.

9. Laura

Sorry, but didn’t you recently post that you were not going to skip meetings/WI’s anymore? That you were determined not to?