Lifestyle Reflection weight loss

This Post Is Not For You

Last night as I was looking through the archives of my blog, I ran across one of my favorite posts.  I wrote it about a year and a half ago, and I meant every word of it.  At that time I was working hard and experiencing success on a regular basis, and I was encouraging others to do the same.  It was around that time I started respecting myself.  When I looked in the mirror I saw someone that I admired instead of the person that I had seen for so long before…the person that I pitied and despised.  I believed in myself, and I knew that I could do anything.  My body was proof.

After writing that post I continued moving forward, working out and living a healthy life, but losing weight became more difficult.  I still worked out consistently and have for almost three years.  And I’m not going to make excuses or try to justify my hardship because I can’t change the past, but finding this post reminded me of the days in which I truly believed in myself.

I thought back to the days in which I didn’t worry about the opinions of a random, mindless jerk who openly judged my body.  I thought back to the days in which the most valuable opinion of me was my own, and I realized that the person who wrote these confident and resilient words is still me.  I can choose to be ‘that girl’ who focuses on her positive accomplishments, or I can focus on the things that I have not yet accomplished.  Which one do you think I’ll focus on today?

Looking back over the last year it’s easy to see that I still have work to do.  I enjoy exercise, but I still have work to do in my relationship with food.  And I am working on it.  After a week of counting calories, I am satisfied with the results so now it’s on to week two.
I’m still far from perfect, but that has never been my goal.  Instead I’m going to focus on being a person that I am proud to be today and strive to (once again) make my opinion the one that matters the most.

Anne
    March 29, 2012 at 5:36 am

I LOVE LOVE LOVE that post !!!!!!!
    What an awesome reminder for ALL of us !!!!!!!!!!
    Inspiring others … that’s just what you do!

March 29, 2012 at 8:50 pm

It’s nice to be reminded that we can do what we want to do!

Ashley
    March 29, 2012 at 9:21 am

Such a great mindset. Super proud of you!

Lisa Q
    March 29, 2012 at 12:00 pm

Good thoughts!! You are the only one that is important in this journey.

Lisa

March 29, 2012 at 8:50 pm

It’s a struggle to remind myself of that, but I’m trying.

Robyn Kichko
    March 29, 2012 at 12:33 pm

You are so right, the only person who you should be listening to is you. I try really hard not to let other people’s opinions get in my way. Some days I am more successful than others. My husband sent me I friendly reminder for the days when I struggle.
    “There are over 7 billion people on earth, and you are going to let 1 person ruin your day?”
    There is a cute picture that goes with it but computer stuff is not my area of knowledge.
    Have a great day and thanks for posting so diligently, I enjoy your stories.
    Thank you for mentioning that I could download a Sparks App, it is way easier to have it on my ipod than waiting to be at the computer at the end of the day.
    Robyn

March 29, 2012 at 8:51 pm

I love the SparkPeople app…I’m sure I’ll talk about it a lot.

Maren
    March 29, 2012 at 2:11 pm

That was an amazing post. Truly.

Marla
    March 29, 2012 at 4:32 pm

I have just started reading your blog about a month ago and I must say a sincere thanks. I started my weight loss journey like most…MANY times. This year I got serious again about it and it’s been a very slow process for me. I have about 90 lbs to lose so you’d think it would come off fast at first, but so far I have only lost 8 lbs from the beginning of the year. I truly appreciate you writing your stuggles and triumphs, it’s nice to know I am not alone. Your blog that you reference of a year and a half ago was an eye opener, although I am nowhere near where I want to be I see the changes I have made and am proud. Thank you for being so open in your writings, you are an inspiration to me.

March 29, 2012 at 8:51 pm

It does take time, and you are definitely not alone.

Nina Patricia
    March 29, 2012 at 8:17 pm

good for you. I choose to do the same when my Brother (who I haven’t seen in a year) made a joke about me breaking the coffee table when I sat on it – and I’m only 185 lbs. People don’t realize how words affect us.

March 29, 2012 at 8:51 pm

Sometimes they don’t realize it, and sometimes they do and say it anyway. I’m sorry he hurt you like that. 🙁