Two Steps Forward…Maybe Three…

I’ve just completed day 3 of calorie counting, and I like it.  It’s just easier right now.

And even though I’ve committed to tracking my caloric intake, I couldn’t resist going to my Weight Watchers meeting tonight.  I was a couple of pounds up which I expected after almost a month of travel, very little exercise and delicious food.  But that changed when I got home, and I’ve been at the gym all week (which feels great, by the way.)

Weight Watchers showed me how to get started, and I’m not ready to tell them goodbye so I’m going to continue weighing in at my meeting.  I would really miss the meetings (the people in the meeting) if I didn’t attend them, and it’s still important to me to keep an official weight-loss record so I asked for a new record book.  I realize that it would be silly to continue paying $40 dollars a month just to weigh-in, but it’s more than that to me so I haven’t decided what to do yet.

Maybe I’ll weigh-in every other week, or maybe I’ll do it once a month.  As I write this, weighing in bi-weekly seems like a good idea.  It’s enough time to show progress without being too obsessive or too nonchalant.  The numbers still matter, but I can check in on my home scale too.  And the truth is, I know if I’m making progress or not based on my actions (at least most of the time) so I think bi-weekly just became my new gig.

What I have decided to do is to concentrate on making healthy eating my focus right now.  I skipped eating out tonight – something that I’ve typically done after every meeting since joining Weight Watchers.  Instead, I came home, measured my food and stayed on target.  And I feel good about that choice and hope to build on it throughout the weekend.

On a completely different note, I still haven’t decided whether or not to read The Hunger Games.  My friends (who have made other excellent recommendations) insist that I should read it so it will eventually happen.  Is anyone seeing the movie this weekend?

Becca
    March 23, 2012 at 6:33 am

I use a similar system and it works best for me this way. I’ve done WW and a couple of other British Slimming clubs but this is what I am best at. As long as I track it’s ok, when I slip up so does my weight.

Pam
    March 23, 2012 at 6:39 am

I also got started on Weight Watchers but I don’t think it is right for me anymore. I had alot of success with the program but after struggling for the last 9-10 months, I decided I needed to try something new. I have been concentrating on eating healthier foods, smaller portions, exercising more… and in 3 weeks I’ve lost 6 pounds. I’m enjoying my food and I’m not obsessing about points anymore which has helped alot.

I hope you find more success in whatever you do 🙂

Kelly O
    March 23, 2012 at 7:09 am

I don’t know how it would work with your going to meetings, but Online you can adjust the number of P+ you have for a day or week. So you could go down, if eating all of them isn’t working for you.

I have a little more than 60 pounds to lose to get to goal, and sometimes I wonder about the number of points I get – when I eat lots of veggies, fruit, and lean protein, I sometimes have a harder time getting all the points in (although sometimes for me it’s adding in the dairy or the healthy oils that I think mentally are bad, but I know would be better.) But days that I hit a drive-through, or don’t exactly plan, I either hit points or go over, but I know what I’m eating isn’t as good for me. Which is frustrating as all-you-know, but I just have to figure it out. (I do Online only, if that helps with point of reference.)

Oh, and Hunger Games? Yes, definitely read. The first book is excellent, the second is still really good, and the third one was good but had parts that disappointed me a bit. Overall though, fabulous read. Way better than a lot of the YA stuff out there (and I am an adult who tends to love well-written YA.)

March 23, 2012 at 11:59 am

Those foods all add up as calories so I’ve always had a hard time not counting them. I have tried counting them anyway, lowering my points, etc. I’ve given myself headaches over a plan that I’m paying for because it should work. And while it works just a little when I’m doing all of that stuff, counting calories just seems like a relief.

I’m definitely not saying that calories are better, or that everyone should do it. It’s just what I have to do for myself right now..

I will read Hunger Games…I know other adults who love YA..

jae
    March 23, 2012 at 7:43 am

I also was reluctant to read the Hunger Games books but once I started it only took me five days to get through all three. Then I turned right around and re read them savoring every word. So I guess that means I highly recommend them 🙂

I usually don’t watch the movies of the books I love but this movie looks stunning and with such a great cast that I think I’ll make an exception!

March 23, 2012 at 12:00 pm

Interesting…When I saw the trailer, it didn’t seem appealing, but so many people say what you just said…Hmmm…

Emily
    March 23, 2012 at 9:29 am

I might be seeing The Hunger Games tonight. My sis-in-law got me the trilogy for Christmas for my Kindle. Very easy reads.. I got through all three of them in only a couple days. I’m pretty excited for the movie because if they can capture cinematically the word pictures that Suzanne Collins paints, then it will be a fantastic movie.

I love SparkPeople. When I first started learning how to change my lifestyle, just after I started reading your blog, SparkPeople was the website I turned to. I’ve kind of stalled in my weight loss efforts, but I’m still on there almost every day, reading articles, gaining knowledge. It’s a pretty cool site. I love the videos Coach Nicole puts up!

March 23, 2012 at 12:01 pm

Yeah, Nicole is awesome!

I guess I’ll have to ask who watched it and what they thought of it next week..lol

Jodi @ Jodi, Fat or Not
    March 23, 2012 at 9:32 am

I use MyFitnessPal for calorie counting, but I’ve heard good things about spark people too. I also transitioned from WW to calorie counting, and it was super overwhelming at first and I definitely felt more “alone” in my journey, but it does get better and I’m really glad I made the switch. Good luck!

Brenda
    March 23, 2012 at 9:48 am

I’ve read your blog (and loved it!) for a while, but don’t think I’ve ever commented. Thought I’d weigh in on this topic. I, too am on a weight loss journey and have lost nearly 50 pounds so far.

I am currently a member of WW, but like you, I’m sort of doing my own thing rather than following their plan. I’ve stayed a member of WW and continued going to the meetings because I have found that, for me, having the accountability of someone else’s scale is crucial. When I tried WW on-line several years ago I couldn’t make it work and I think this is why. I can find a million excuses for my weight stagnating or going up if it’s just me and my scale alone in the bathroom. But, when I have to confront the number in front of someone else I’m somehow more accountable (in my own mind, I guess) for what I did or didn’t do to see those results. I know it is completely mental, but let’s face it…most of the real work of weight loss is mental.

So, for me, I’ll still go weigh in and attend the meetings. Plus, even though I’m not doing the exact same thing as the other members, we’re all on the same journey and hearing their tips and strategies have really been helpful. I’ve gained so many tools and learned so much from just being there and listening to others tell about what works for them that combined with the accountability factor, I find that it’s totally worth the membership fee for me.

Anyway, just a few thoughts for consideration. Like most things in life, weight loss isn’t a one size fits all kind of thing. You need to find what works best for you. I know you’ve struggled a bit over the last year or so (and most days, I’m right there with you!) but I think you’ve done amazing thus far and I’m completely confident that you’ll get to where you want to be. No matter which path you choose, the most important thing is to just keep on keeping on. You can do it!

March 23, 2012 at 12:03 pm

It’s not one size fits all..That’s definitely true. I’ve been trying harder (being more mindful) over the last few days, and that definitely is key regardless of the plan.

We can do it. We can do it. We can do it.

Steelers6
    March 23, 2012 at 12:18 pm

Unfortunately, I have not yet read Hunger Games. Soo wanted to, but didn’t get my hands on a copy. But I AM going to see it tonight, daughter & her friends are seeing IMAX, and hubby & I reg screen. I really wish I could have read it prior to seeing movie, but maybe the next 2 books will work out. [daughter thinks ‘you can’t see it if you haven’t read book, you won’t know what is going on’..hmm.]

I *have* read “The Lucky One” by Nicholas Sparks a year or so ago, so I’m ready there! 🙂

Chrissy

Caron
    March 23, 2012 at 2:03 pm

I love WW for teaching me how to maintain but I disagree with them on a couple of important points. The first is free fruit. I know why they did it but it’s not free.

The second is encouraging people to get activity points and then consume them. NO! A thousand times no. How counterproductive is that anyway? My WW leader does not encourage us to eat activity points but doesn’t tell us we can’t either. I’ve never even tried to figure out what it takes to get them. 🙁

Kelly @ No Thanks to Cake
    March 23, 2012 at 10:07 pm

Congrats on the calorie counting. I’ve recently transitioned to the same (even if I haven’t lost too much over the past few months due to eating out and non exercising time). I track daily on an app like you do… and it keeps me in check. It’s something that will be able to be maintained as I move over into maintenance, I think.

As for the Hunger Games, I’m on chapter three of the first book. I usually don’t read the super hyped up books because I always feel disappointed or like a follower. Neither feels like me. Just the same… I’m reading. Jump in there with me and we can compare notes! xoxo

Amanda
    March 23, 2012 at 10:30 pm

I’m going to see Hunger Games on Tuesday for my birthday.

Amanda
    March 23, 2012 at 10:46 pm

Oh, I forgot to add…I have to start/finish the first book by Tuesday evening.

Holly
    March 24, 2012 at 12:45 am

Spark people is awesome. Your plan sounds great!

Nanci
    March 24, 2012 at 8:28 am

I think it is necessary to change things up from time to time. Ultimately, you need to do whatever system works best for you to have the greatest chance at success. I’m new to your blog, I’ll be sure to follow!

me
    March 24, 2012 at 4:52 pm

I’ve been quietly reading along your journey for a while now~thanks for sharing so much! I’m a calorie counter right now, too. I fought it and swore I would go intuitive all the way, baby! But no, calorie counting works. Every time! Daggone it.

Xazmin
    March 25, 2012 at 2:48 pm

You are doing so awesome! I’m glad the calorie counting is going well!

I personally chose not to read the books, or see the movies. I know they are probably really well written, intense and entertaining. But based on the story line, which I find incredibly disturbing, I decided it wasn’t the kind of “entertainment” that would be the most uplifting for me in my life.

I’m also the meanest mom ever and didn’t let my son go see the movie. When he was reading the books I took over and read a bit and then told him I would prefer he not read them. He returned the book, but later told me that that was actually his second time reading them, and that he had already read them all when I asked him not to!! Grrr.

But he’s been a pretty good sport about the movie. And I appreciate that!

Bella
    March 25, 2012 at 9:19 pm

I’m really excited for you to start the calorie counting. SparkPeople is supposed to be a great way to do it. There are a few good ones out there.

I’d say that you should go ahead and read Hunger Games. It’ll take you a couple of weeks (if that) to read all 3 in the series. I enjoyed the series, even though it’s SO not my usual type of book. It’s simple and easy reading, and at least you’ll know what all the hype is about.