Exercise Healthy Eating Lifestyle weight loss

I Like Carbs, But…

I tried something new yesterday.  In addition to tracking my calories I made it my goal to limit processed carbohydrates.  I didn’t snack on a serving of pretzels, nor did I eat toast with my egg white omelet.  Instead, I replaced those things with more vegetables, and I felt satisfied all day.

I actually ate a little more fat. I ate a serving of bacon, and while the calories were accurate I don't think the fat content was.

Am I devoted to not eating processed carbohydrates anymore?  Not really.  I just wanted to know what it would feel like to go through the day without wrapping my lunch in a low-carb tortilla or adding an alternative bagel or toast, and it wasn’t as horrible as I might have imagined in the past.

I like counting calories, and I like feeling how I felt after my meals yesterday so I’m trying it again today.  I was worried that I might feel lethargic during my workout too, but I didn’t.  Carbs add up when you’re eating fruits and veggies, and I’m okay with that.

It took a little extra effort to prep my food for today, but I’m glad I did it because it won’t be hard to stay on target. (I hope I didn’t just jinx myself.)  I’ve also decided that I won’t eat out until I leave town again a week from today.  That may not seem like a long time, but for someone who eats out regularly that’s a big goal.  And I’m resolved to accomplish it.

What are you doing for your health today?  Will you workout?  What’s for lunch and/or dinner?

Becca
    April 4, 2012 at 4:22 am

The only way I successfully lose weight is cutting back on carbs but I do feel the need to snack more so it’s a vicious circle. Good to hear it worked for you though and wish you more success this week.

Cathy
    April 4, 2012 at 6:46 am

Cutting back on refined carbs does help a lot with weight loss, definitely.

Dawn
    April 4, 2012 at 8:34 am

I kind of had the same thought this week when at the grocery store: see how I could limit processed stuff because I was eating WAYYY too much of it. I haven’t been 100% devoted, but subbing zucchini or broccoli slaw for pasta and eating my chicken salad on lettuce instead of as a sandwich have been easy swaps.

And good for you for having a ‘not eating out goal’! It can be an easy crutch when you’re used to doing it a lot (my husband and I have been guilty of this!). Spending so much on groceries has sort of put a damper on my eating out funds, but hopefully that will be a good thing for my weight loss effort.

I also cut out all soda (and artificially sweetened drinks) and this is day 4. So far so good. 🙂

Lunch is zucchini & onions with lean ground beef and mozz cheese, dinner will be grilled pork chops and asparagus.

Brooke
    April 4, 2012 at 8:43 am

My Dr. asked me to cut back on mine in hopes it would help move my weightloss along a bit more. Its really not moving it any faster than before, I do see a more consistent weight on the scale everyday instead on 1-2lb fluctuations. I cut back to 150 carbs a day. I know it still sounds like a lot and it is, but that is about half of what I was eating. After Easter I plan to cut back to 100. I don’t know if I can do much lower than that and enjoy life still, really. We will see though, I hope I see more weightloss, like the Dr. promised……..soon.

Nina
    April 4, 2012 at 10:22 am

I am trying to do “lower carb” … it seems like cutting out processed bread type stuff and sugar always helps. I am trying to limit my Starbucks minis – they are my usual treat. I don’t want to feel like I am on a diet, but I am trying to make smarter choices and put good fuel in my body!

Shelley
    April 4, 2012 at 10:45 am

I think it’s great that you’re cutting back on your processed carbs and adding in more fruits and vegetables in their place. I am trying to do the same and I think it’s a great blueprint for healthy living.
    But…and here’s a big but…are you really only eating 1100 calories a day? That is not enough to sustain you. I would think that you’d need at least 1500, maybe 1800. Have you gotten your RMR checked? I know that no one is the same, and what my experience was will not necessarily be your experience, but this is what happened to me when I was severely restricting my calories:
    I started off eating 1200-1300 most days. I ran every day. I ate plenty of vegetables and protein. I lost weight very rapidly, including some muscle
    ( my butt got very flat). I couldn’t sleep well at night because of the hunger, so I was tired and depressed during the day. All I could think about was food, and I spent my evenings trying not to eat. When I finally allowed myself to eat like my body wanted, I went way overboard in a way that I had not experienced. I started binging, and I’d never had a problem with that before. I gained back the 20 or so pounds I’d lost. The next time I lost weight, I decided to keep my calories to around 1700-1800 ( I still exercised). I had much more success with this, and lasting success.
    But anyway, that’s just my two cents. I’m sure that you will find what works for you.

April 4, 2012 at 2:15 pm

I usually eat about 1,500 calories per day because I exercise more than the average person my size, but I didn’t eat yesterday when I wasn’t hungry. And that seems to make sense for everyday so we’ll see…

I ate twice that much when I lost the first 100, but at this size that doesn’t allow me to lose anymore.

Amanda
    April 4, 2012 at 10:46 am

I did a double workout yesterday and there was no way I could workout when I woke up this morning. I do plan on running whenever I get home tonight.

Lunch today is black bean soup. I add chicken and veggies to my soup to make it even more filling. I take a class on Wednesdays over my lunch hour so I need to have something easy for that.

I think I might be having oatmeal for dinner because I forgot to bring dinner with me and I have to work late. I know I have a package of low-sugar oatmeal at my desk. Hmmm… I didn’t really plan for today as much as I should have.

April 4, 2012 at 2:16 pm

Oatmeal sounds good. It’s been a while since I had that, but it can be a healthy option, and I always feel full after eating it.

Jess
    April 4, 2012 at 11:00 am

I try to eat no more than 98g of carbs on a normal day. More if I exercise. Generally they all come from vegetables or unrefined oats. Occasionally I’ll have a slice of brown bread with a meal.

Cutting down on carbs is pretty new for me too. I hope it kickstarts both of our weight loss!

Anne
    April 4, 2012 at 11:02 am

Watching carbs and NOT eating out …. you know I am a FAN !!!!!!!!!!
    It’s got me this far …. let’s see how far WE can go !!!!!!!!!!!!
    I’m in !!!!!!!!!

Jadzia@Toddlerisms
    April 4, 2012 at 2:03 pm

It actually is not that hard once you get used to it. I’ve been on Dukan for 3 1/2 months now in a last-ditch attempt to lose four pregnancies’ worth of baby weight, and it has been remarkably effective. Although there certainly are foods that I miss (we just moved to France, aka pastry central, and the only lady in town who I really know at all is the boulangere/patissiere!), right NOW it’s more important to me that I have finally found something that works and that I can stick with.

TC
      April 4, 2012 at 3:05 pm

I too did the Dukan diet and lost about 20lbs. Over the holidays I gained some back but have been trying to get back on track.

Ashley
    April 4, 2012 at 3:19 pm

Hi! I’ve never commented before, but have you ever checked out marksdailyapple.com? The site has some really interesting ideas regarding diet and fitness (mostly having to do with regulating insulin spikes and diet-induced inflammation). This post on carbs seems especially relevant: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-primal-carbohydrate-continuum/#axzz1r6F5YwRr

It might look easy to dismiss, as it defies conventional ideas about diet and exercise, but it may be worth looking in to, if only for a short time to see how you feel. I began eating this way last fall and it has made a world of difference. I feel better (various physical ailments have disappeared), have lost weight, and thoroughly enjoy the food I’m eating.

I generally shy away from discussing my dietary choices with people because I know what a personal and sensitive subject it is, but I’ve been reading your blog for awhile and I just wanted to share in case it’s something you haven’t seen or might be interested in.

Best of luck in your journey!

Tabby
    April 4, 2012 at 5:32 pm

Kenlie, have you come across the book Wheat Belly by William Davis MD? It’s interesting reading. I found when I dropped all breads and starches out of my diet last year that I felt a lot better quickly and lost weight fast. Now I eat whole grain bread occasionally and some slow release whole grains like brown rice & steel cut oats but that’s about it. Leafy greens & veggies make up the rest of my carb grouping.

In general, I find I don’t miss them and I tend to get tired more quickly when I eat them, probably because they spike my blood sugar and cause the quick crash. All in all I definitely recommend the high fiber, whole grain type carbs over the standard American diet of white rice, white sugar etc. which gives no energy whatsoever and makes me a very poorly girl.

Dinner for me – probably a tuna & cucumber sandwich. I haven’t worked out yet, but plan on heading over to the gym to use the treadmill and walk a couple of miles. I’m still working up my low intensity cardio to two miles on a regular basis (about four times a week at present). Otherwise I’m a bouncing ball of energy since I started working with a personal trainer last week doing high intensity interval training. It kills you while you’re doing it, but I am just FULL of energy afterward. I never thought I would go to bed looking forward to exercising the next day. It’s miraculous!

Tabby
    April 4, 2012 at 5:34 pm

Missed the part about not eating out. Way to go! You can do it! 🙂

Barb
    April 4, 2012 at 6:00 pm

Hi Kenz!

Long time no see! I’ve missed you! Somehow, all of my favs were deleted – not sure how, but they are up and running now!

You know what? I think I saw you on Dr. Oz today -was it you?! I Just don’t think there are too many out there with that same beautiful smile!

I like the idea of cutting out processed carbs – I’m going to give that a try.

I’m glad I have you back in my favs!

Hugs,
    Barb

Deborah (Schmiet)
    April 4, 2012 at 6:02 pm

I love my carbs, but because I also love my wine… try to make a rule that if I’m going to have a wine or two at night, I skip carbs completely – other than on a Fri/Sat night. I don’t cut them out completely though. I’ve done that and lost a lot of weight, but then binged on carbs for weeks afterwards!!!

Deb

Deb
    April 4, 2012 at 6:50 pm

I’ve done something similar a few times. I didn’t eat any “obvious” carbs for a day- no rice, bread, pasta, potatoes. For a little while I did this one day a week. The scale dropped faster, and while I felt good, I was eating about three times what I normally eat because I was starving the whole time. I may try it again with just a low-carb day rather than almost no carbs.