Morning Workouts? Moi?

I did some things differently today, and they worked out well that way.  Last night I was in bed before 10pm which doesn’t usually happen unless I’m sick so I was up early this morning.

I studied for my quiz and worked out and showered before going to class, and I made an A on my quiz.  (Yay!)  I also managed to complete a pretty fast mile.  I typically stay around 4 mph or a little higher, but today I rocked my first mile at 5.27 mph.  That’s lightening speed for me!  Maybe I could like being a morning workout person.  Who knew?

I stopped at one mile then started over because I knew the next mile would be slower, and it was..

After I did my “quick” mile I did a couple of slow ones before working my upper body.  It wasn’t a long workout, but it was intense.  There’s something about being in the gym and sweating hard that makes me feel good about myself.  Obviously, it feels good to know I’m doing something good for myself, but it’s more than that.  When I’m sweating I’m able to let go of my negative thoughts because my mind is filled with the positives. And I carried those positives with me all day.

You may have noticed that this is my favorite exercise shirt. 😉

Exercise clears my head, and I like doing it early.  I think I’ll do the same tomorrow and see how I feel.  What do you think? Is it better to workout in the morning?  My preference is definitely afternoon or evening, but maybe that’s changing…I suppose time will tell.

What’s your preference?

Mae
    April 19, 2012 at 1:37 am

I can see how a morning workout would be a great way to start your day, but I need to work out at night. My whole routine just works that way – get home from work, lounge around for a few hours, work out, shower right after, then BOOM, fall asleep.

As an added bonus, my hair always looks fabulous in the morning. lol

Boysmum2
    April 19, 2012 at 4:32 am

I am not a morning person full stop, so has to be evening for me, but then what ever I do has to fit in aorund the family, so I usually go to the gym whilst boys are round the corner at Judo, I do 35 min work out and still have time left to watch them at sport, win win for all

Amanda
    April 19, 2012 at 8:50 am

I’m not a morning person at all, but I already have to be at work for 6:30 Monday – Friday. So a morning workout won’t happen with me.
    But I get off of work at noon so I get on the treadmill then. At least now that I have started working out again 🙂 If I go home and have down time in between I’m likely to not go ad workout.

Marla K.
    April 19, 2012 at 8:56 am

Morning workout girl and I love it. I will admit that after awhile when that alarm goes off at 4:45am or 5am, it is HARD to get up. That’s the biggest battle of the day especially in the winter. But every time I do it, I am rewarded with energy and love watching the sun come up. (Also I only can run in the am… I always say I have to start running before my knees are awake enough to realize what’s happening –lol) . Great job on your 1 mile pace! Well done Kenlie!

Tiffany
    April 19, 2012 at 1:17 pm

I used to be a morning workout girl and I loved it! It always gave me a more positive start to the day. I also seemed to be happier. Only problem now is I switched gyms. It is further away from both home and work, so the morning no longer works.

Great job on your pace today!

Gloria
    April 19, 2012 at 3:43 pm

I definitely enjoy morning workouts better, but I go with whatever time of day that gets me into the gym. if I notice I keep skipping my work outs because I can’t get up in the morning, I reschedule them for a time that works better for me. So right now, I work out in the evenings on Mondays and Tuesdays, and in the mornings on Thursdays and Fridays. I really like the mix and it’s what works best for my schedule.

Laura @ LauraLivesLife
    April 19, 2012 at 4:21 pm

Congrats on your quiz! I am an AM exerciser! I’d never have the energy to do it after work and school!

Shelley B
    April 19, 2012 at 4:42 pm

I lack coordination and energy in the morning, so I am definitely an evening exerciser. All the Zumba and dance fitness classes I go to are in the evenings, anyway, except one on Saturday morning ( which kills me!)

Nicole
    April 19, 2012 at 9:14 pm

I prefer mornings! But it RARELY happens =( I like to get it out of the way, & I find I make better decisions throughout the day BUT I love my sleep! & I have to be at work at 6:30am! So it hurts but I really like the mornings =D

Chona
    April 19, 2012 at 10:08 pm

I LOVE working out in the morning. I say I like to workout in the AM because I enjoy “getting it out of the way” and people say that sounds like I don’t enjoy it. That’s not the case at all!
    By exercising in the morning, it frees up the rest of my day for fun things – dinner with friends, reading, maybe a bike ride or leisurely post-dinner stroll, shopping – and I don’t feel guilty because I’ve already banged out 10 miles or 1.5 hrs of weights.
    Plus, if I don’t work out first thing in the morning (or right after my morning shift at the store) then I will come up with excuses not to workout later in the day. However, I do reserve Monday and Wednesday nights for runs with my running group and Saturday AMs are for our long distance runs. On any other days I like doing weights in the morning and I usually plan my days around working out – I don’t care if I have to run errands and I’m stinky. Eh, it’s cool.

Tabby
    April 20, 2012 at 9:24 am

Well done on the A and way to go on the mile! Way to raise the bar! 🙂 I prefer working out in daytime rather than evening, but mostly because I know I’ll have the energy in the daytime. Not necessarily morning, though I do like to get to it while I’m feeling good and before I can eat something that might make me feel cruddy or otherwise get distracted. The biggest upside for me is that it makes me want to hit the sack earlier which is better for me overall. We need our sleep to get healthy – lack of sleep is a factor in type II diabetes, for example.