Healthy Eating Lifestyle

All About Food, Or More Than You Ever Wanted To Know About What I’m Eating

Yesterday I asked for dinner suggestions, and you didn’t let me down.  To those of you who shared your ideas, thank you!  It’s incredible to know that when I have a question or a problem that so many of you are here to help me solve it.

When I started reading through yesterday’s comments my first thought was “Why didn’t I think of that?!”

Among other things,  Tina, Liz and Kris suggested hummus, and immediately I knew I’d add that to my list.  Stevie suggested grilling kebabs that are loaded with veggies because they’re delicious even when they’re cold, and Becky mentioned oatmeal.  How did I forget oatmeal?!

There were so many great suggestions that I think I’ll make it through this Summer session just fine.  (I wasn’t so sure of that last night.)

Here’s what I came up with for today’s lunch…

One Cup of Homemade Three Bean Chili (made by me)

For dinner I packed a variety of things, and I’m bringing enough to share because I’m not the only one who needs to eat dinner even though I’m probably the only one thinking about dinner. Ha!  (Hey Shannon, tell your “shy inner dork” to come say hi to the blogger nerd today, and have a snack if you want to.)

No, I don't plan to eat all of this by myself.

Here’s a breakdown of calories in my bento-style dinner and snacks:

Remember, I’m only eating a portion (less than half) of it…

• 2 tbsp hummus – 70
  • half of the carrots – 50
  • half of the cucumbers – 40
  • FlatOut bread – 100
  • Turkey – 90
  • Ham – 50

*****Snack*****

• Genoa Salami – 135
  • 2 flatbread crackers – 60
  • 1 oz Brie – 110

For breakfast, I’ll eat a green smoothie made with vanilla whey protein, skim milk, fresh spinach, strawberries and half of a banana.  And since we’re already on the subject, it contains roughly 177 calories.

I’ll also supplement my meals with a Caesar Salad before or during lunch.  My salads are delicious and only 90 calories (because I’m heavy on the romaine – not the dressing.)

Overall, I’m prepared to have a semi-healthy day of eating which will allow me to focus on all of my tasks.  And at approximately 1,112 calories I still have a little room for some kind of sweet snack.  After all, who would I be if I didn’t indulge my sweet tooth a little?

It may have taken a village and a little extra planning, but today will be a success.  I did circuit training last night because I may not make time to hit the gym today which is okay with me.  I’ll still work on increasing my plank time, and I’ll stay under my calorie target.

Now that you know more than you ever wanted to know about what I’ll be eating today, will you tell me what you plan to eat today?

Liz
    May 23, 2012 at 7:02 am

That looks soooo good! Great job planning & packing!

May 24, 2012 at 2:06 am

it was delicious, and everything stayed cool and fresh in my little insulated bag. =)

Steelers6
    May 23, 2012 at 7:21 am

That wasn’t more than I want to know; I found it interesting & helpful, actually.
    I also kind of wished I was Shannon-the ‘tray’ of goodies looks delicious, & eating it with great company would be fun.

Great job on taking extra time & effort to care for YOU. You are so worth
    it. I usually feel like the best meal is the one you prepare yourself.
    Happy Day to you.
    Chrissy

May 24, 2012 at 2:08 am

You’re always so wonderful Chrissy…Thanks! It worked out pretty well, but I came home with food even after sharing with multiple classmates and my professor..ha

Alesha
    May 23, 2012 at 9:13 am

I have been eating so unhealthy for so long that venturing into eating healthy food scares me. I feel so uneducated in this area. I have no clue how to read labels…what to put together to taste good and fill me up. Kenlie, you are so helpful! Thank you so much for sharing. Also, everyone who responds brings something new to the table I didnt’ think of. Thank you all soooo much!

Kelly, Curvy Fit Girl
    May 23, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Hey, I recognize that beautiful granite countertop!

Abigail
    May 23, 2012 at 5:33 pm

Hey! I really enjoy reading your blog, and all those foods look delicious and healthy. But are you saying you are only eating 1112 calories a day plus a sweet snack all the time? That seems way too low. I know you hit it hard in the gym and if you’re eating that little calories everyday you will probably put your body into starvation mode. I’m not a doctor but just concerned, Be careful!

becca
    May 23, 2012 at 7:14 pm

wow your amazing your smoothie do you make it yourself if so can I get the recipe with exact measurements i would love to have one of those for mid afternoon snack or dinner when i’m to hot and tired to eat

Letty
    May 25, 2012 at 12:34 am

I agree with abigail 1112 calories is too low you might want to add in a little bit more protein also I suggest you go to oxygen magazines website they have a lot of great info on clean eating & lots of workout suggestions also great recipes

Sarah
    May 25, 2012 at 11:46 am

I am SO coming to YOUR house for lunch! lol All of that stuff looks oddly similar to everything in my fridge!

Sarah

Holly
    May 25, 2012 at 11:45 pm

How do I get on your picnic list? That bento dinner looks AWESOME! I am going to have to try something like that for lunch this week. Keep being fabulous. 🙂