Aunt Janice and the Gym

When I woke up yesterday I felt a little lethargic, and I didn’t feel particularly motivated to workout (even though I knew I would.)  I procrastinated a little bit until Aunt Janice suggested that we go for a walk.  Walks with her tend to go on for miles so I agreed.

During our walk I told her how much I enjoy circuit training at the gym.  I told her about the ladder, the metal wall, the bosu ball and planks among other things, and we decided to cut our walk short and hit the gym.

We did circuit training in two minute intervals, and we did the things I just listed in addition to tackling the rowing machine,  the KeepItUpDavid Machine, I mean StairMaster, pulling the sled around the track and working our upper bodies before relaxing in the sauna.  By the time we left the gym we were both drenched from head to toe, and it felt awesome.

I was channeling Keep It Up David during this workout.

When we started doing planks she dominated them!  She held her pose for over a minute, and I beat my own personal best reaching 18.8 seconds.  (Hey! Don’t judge me.  A little over a week ago I didn’t know I could do them at all!)

Now that I know I can plank I'm determined to make it last longer.

And one of my new favorite workouts is climbing the wall.  It doesn’t seem tough at all, but if you do it long enough it will make you sweat.  I’m definitely sore as a result of that little wall!

I can't look to the side when I get higher. 😉

Upper body....Boom!

I’ve never really been a fan of working out with someone else, but that certainly has changed recently.  I’ve done cardio workouts with friends before, but I’ve never had anyone push me until recently.  Having someone there to tell me to keep going when I think I’ve pushed as far as I can inspires me to do more, and I’m definitely looking forward to more of that.  And may I just say that I adore the sauna?  (What can I say? I love to sweat!)

I have a full day planned which will include some fun stuff, but I plan to hit it hard at the gym again this morning.  What are your plans for the day?  What kind of workout will you do?

David (Keep it up, David)
    May 18, 2012 at 1:48 am

You look great on the KeepItUpDavid Machine! KEEP IT UP! Sounds like one helluva workout.
    Soon you’ll be doing this:

mary
    May 18, 2012 at 8:21 am

go kenlie go!!

Holly
    May 18, 2012 at 9:52 am

I am so jealous, I wish my gym had a climbing wall! Congrats on the planks, those things are HARD! I want to try climbing, too. There’s a climbing gym near my house, but I haven’t mustered up the courage just yet. I want to build up my endurance a bit more first. 🙂

May 23, 2012 at 3:39 am

It’s a short climb, but you can climb for days on the ladder. It’s’s my favorite, and it’s such an easy way to rock a workout!

Tammy
    May 18, 2012 at 11:39 am

You’re inspiring me Kenlie. You’re doing your body good and having fun. Way to go!

May 23, 2012 at 3:39 am

Thank you, Tammy! It’s a good feeling to like being at the gym. =) I didn’t always feel this way about fitness, but I’m so blessed and relieved that I do now.

Carina
    May 18, 2012 at 12:53 pm

I’m similar on working out with someone. I almost always do cardio with friends (a running group and a walking buddy if that counts as cardio), and I like doing a boot camp with husband and about 20-40 other people, but actually at the gym doing machines and weights, I always preferred solo until about a year ago. Now, IF it’s the right person (and that’s a big IF), I love it! Not sure what clicked over in my mind, but something did.

May 23, 2012 at 3:40 am

If it’s the right person, I agree. You nailed it.

Plus Style
    May 18, 2012 at 1:45 pm

Looking great! My morning walks with a friend are some of my most empowering. You’re blog was all the push I needed to remind myself I need to register for the summer series wak/run series with her.

May 23, 2012 at 3:40 am

Wow! Awesome!

paralaxvu
    May 18, 2012 at 4:12 pm

You don’t know how much you inspire me. I’m still at the eat-better-meals and don’t-sit-so-much stage, but even that wouldn’t be possible without some help from your blog, so keep it up…the exercising AND the blogging!

May 23, 2012 at 3:40 am

That is a huge compliment, and I don’t take it likely. Thank you. I’ll keep it up, and you do the same!

cookie
    May 19, 2012 at 11:18 am

All this cool exercise equipment and we don’t have any of this. Stepper (the plain one, no real steps), treadmill, rowing machine, elliptical and stationary bikes. That’s it. Oh, and that one thing called “Wave”, kind of like a sideways stepper. The motion is similar to inline skating I think. I’d love to try other things, but we just don’t have them at our gym. Maybe I’ll take a peek somewhere else.

May 23, 2012 at 3:41 am

Being in a gym with new and exciting equipment has definitely inspired me to push harder. Checking out a new place might be worth it.

Jadzia@Toddlerisms
    May 19, 2012 at 1:59 pm

This workout looks like so much fun! I wish I could get my motivation back. It’s just gone, gone, gone.

May 23, 2012 at 3:42 am

Sometimes we just have to do it even when we lack motivation. I hope you can push through soon.

PlumPetals
    May 21, 2012 at 12:10 am

Sounds like an awesome workout, and well done with the plank pose – it’s a tough one! I know what you mean about usually preferring to workout solo — but sometimes a workout buddy can be just the thing that you need to go that extra mile. 🙂

May 23, 2012 at 3:42 am

I am obsessed with planks….obsessed.