Finals and Making Time For Things That Matter

I woke up Tuesday morning feeling the pressure that the day before a final exam often brings, and though I’m prepared I knew I’d spend a big part of my day studying.  And I did (with index cards and everything. ha)

If you know me, you may know that I often find clarity and peace when I’m sweating so before I hit the books, I hit the gym.  I did a 5k before working my upper body with free weights.  And I felt so much better when I left than I did when I arrived.

I was pretty pleased with my average heart rate too.

After my workout, I did a few other things that I had to do, then I entered study mode.  And I feel like I’m (mostly) ready for the exam though I plan to get to school early today to review with my friend and classmate, Melissa.

The rest of the week will be just as busy because I have a paper to write and another exam next week.  Those things matter, but my health matters too.  And making time to exercise seems to help me focus so I’ll be sure to do that even on high-pressure days.

How do you react to life’s added pressures?  Does exercise keep you centered?

Marion
    May 2, 2012 at 5:14 am

Good luck with your exams! Believe in yourself!

🙂 Marion

May 3, 2012 at 3:39 am

Thanks! It was easy because I was so freaking prepared…=) If only Monday’s could be that easy..

Ann
    May 2, 2012 at 7:22 am

Nice workout!!!!!! Good luck on finals!!!! 🙂

Tiffany
    May 2, 2012 at 11:31 am

Good luck with your exams and paper! Nice workout! I am trying to get into an exercise routine. It is hard in the beginning but I hope it will get easier and I will come to enjoy it.

May 3, 2012 at 3:40 am

Exercise is my savior…..I need it because it makes me feel so incredible. Dealing with food is harder for me, but I can tell you that if you keep it up, exercise will become your friend.

Robyn
    May 3, 2012 at 11:12 pm

Hi there! I read about you at the ABC news web site and decided to take a look at your blog. I live in Lafayette, LA now, but was born and raised in New Orleans. I also have lost just over 100 pounds thanks to RNY surgery in May of 2011. Here’s my problem, and I would appreciate any insight you have… I have RSD in both my arms and both my legs, so exercise is pretty much out of reach for me. All I can do is walk…. a little bit. I find that my weight loss has slowed down to almost nothing and my incentive has left the building. Any words of wisdom to help me get back on track? I love the blog and will be back often. BTW, I’m so tickled that you filed against Southwest. Somebody has got to make them accountable. Best of luck…..we’re all rooting for you!!
    Thanks,
    Robyn

William Freyd
    May 5, 2012 at 3:07 am

Kenlie,
    I had the same thing happen to me and with the same capricious enforcement. I was infuriated that any Southwest gate agent could make up any rule they wanted with reference to weight and then enforce it as they chose. I absolutely agree with you that Southwest should have a clear policy that is enforced consistently. Now, I fly Southwest only when there is no acceptable alternative because I never know when a Southwest gate agent is going to decide that I’m too heavy. By the way, I am a very frequent flier and have flown around 3 million actual flight miles. Southwest is the only airline that has ever decided that I’m too heavy to fly. I wonder if their obsession with weight can be treated. Let me know if I can help.
    Bill

Kyra
    May 5, 2012 at 10:55 am

Exercise balances me out. I use it not only to clear my head, but if I am anxious over something it settles everything down for me too. Also, since I hit it first thing in the morning, it’s a way to start my day saying “Woohoo! I did something most people will decide they’re too busy to fit in today, and I did it BEFORE the day started!”

Good luck on your exams!