Should I Try Pilates?

Over the last few years I’ve learned that my body is capable of doing incredible things!  I’ve pushed myself beyond what I thought were my limits, and I’ve gotten comfortable with machines at the gym that intimidated me for years.   I can do ten miles on the elliptical…I can run and do Bikram Yoga. I’ve attended big fitness conferences, and I’ve been embraced by people there (most of whom were quick to remind me that I belonged as much as they did.)

And that makes me wonder what it would be like to attend this weekend conference in June hosted by Jennifer Kries.  She’s inspirational and inspired, and spending a weekend being taught to “accomplish what is in your heart” seems like a great use of one’s time and money.  I mean, I’d love to “discover my inner radiance!”  And I could, no doubt, benefit from more core work.  Here’s what one could expect to learn at this conference.

• Breathing
  • The navel-to-spine connection
  • Effortless effort
  • The principle of opposition
  • Economy of movement
  • Centering
  • Dynamic rhythm and flow.

Doesn’t this list seem like it could benefit everyone?

I’ve heard so much about Pilates, but it’s the latest thing to intimidate me.  Jennifer hosts other conferences  for people who have done Pilates for at least a year.  Clearly, that’s not me.  But does that mean I could attend the weekend conference that I mentioned above?  Can “beginner” also apply to someone like me who has never seriously tried Pilates?

I mean, I enjoy Bikram Yoga which focuses on core strength, and I’ve spent the last few years focusing on cardio, weights and my core.  I’m stronger than I look, but I don’t know enough about Pilates to know if I could do it.  (You know this means I’m going to try it soon, right? Right.)

I just need to figure out if I’m confident enough to immerse myself in a weekend of Pilates with a renowned expert or not.

Let me hear your thoughts on this.  I have no desire to make a fool of myself, but I’m even less interested in skipping something that could be awesome because it makes me nervous.

What do you think?  Have you tried Pilates? Would you be intimidated to go to a confernce hosted by someone like Jennifer Kries?

Cathy
    May 1, 2012 at 6:41 am

Pilates is super tough no matter who teaches it, but you adapt to what you can do. It is a phenomenal workout. No, I would not be intimidated. I would figure I belong there as much as anyone else.

May 1, 2012 at 5:03 pm

I like your attitude…

Summer
    May 1, 2012 at 10:02 am

I have limited knowledge about pilates. However, I had an opportunity to attend some classes with an instructor and pilates machines. I loved it! I strongly suggest you attend. I think you will enjoy it.

May 1, 2012 at 5:03 pm

I’m completely confused by the machines..ha There’s so much to learn!

deb
    May 1, 2012 at 11:34 am

Seems like an awful big time & money commitment for something you’ve never tried before. What about attending a few classes locally first to decide if this is for you, then going to the conference? Just a thought…

May 1, 2012 at 5:04 pm

Not a bad thought…Of course, I like to do things that intimidate me until they don’t anymore…so…we’ll see.

Dominique
    May 1, 2012 at 12:47 pm

Definitely give pilates a shot. I really enjoyed taking the classes because I felt that it helped push me further than yoga could. Like Cathy mentioned, everything can be adapted to what your body is capable of.

May 1, 2012 at 5:04 pm

I have to adapt moves all the time…Definitely not opposed to doing that.

Shannon
    May 1, 2012 at 12:54 pm

I LOVE PILATES! I have been doing it for years and always feel challenged by it! I started in private sessions on the reformer and other “machines” but have drifted more towards mat work and a cardio blend. I am the type of person who can easily buld muscle “bulk” which is not my goal. PIlates is one of the few things I have found that gives me a great workout while toninig and lengthening my muscles. If you want a nice cardio workout that incorporates Pilates to help get you started, I recommend Fat Burning Pilates-Crunch GYm (http://waitsandmeasurements.blogspot.com/2012/02/back-to-it.html) see my post about my love for Ellen Barrett and this workout! You can do this, and your body will thank you!

Deb
      May 1, 2012 at 1:19 pm

I haven’t tried that particular workout, but I do love Ellen Barrett! I have two of her DVDs somewhere. The first time I did them I (stupidly) thought “Oh this will be easy!” but I was so wrong! It was a challenge all the way through and I felt so good afterwards.

Shannon
        May 2, 2012 at 12:26 pm

There are somne good ones on Netflix…but I love the fat burning one, so I bought the disk! I always feel so streamlined afterwards!

May 1, 2012 at 5:05 pm

I definitely think I’m more interested (at least now) in mat work v machines…

May 1, 2012 at 5:05 pm

Don’t you love it when that happens Deb? =)

Deb
          May 2, 2012 at 1:11 am

Yes! Its always a happy thing. 🙂

Jennifer
    May 1, 2012 at 1:32 pm

Dear Kenlie,
    Firstly, I would like to thank you for this wonderful blog!
    I so appreciate all that you said, and please know that it would be an honor and a pleasure to have you join the event in the beautiful Berkshires. I assure you that it would be one of the most inspiring and transformational experiences you’ve yet to have, and I say this purely based on my own experience of having watched many people who have reservations or questions decide to take the plunge and fly!
    The sessions in the workshop are all geared towards the beginner exerciser and are very accessible and gentle — truly not at all intimidating.
    I encourage you to come and to invite any friends who may be considering joining as well! Eleanor Roosevelt, one of my heros said, “Do one thing a day that scares you,” and I echo her sentiments exactly. When you tackle a fear and meet it head on, you come to realize that what you imagined was frightening, is actually not at all the case and in fact, incredibly invigorating—something that inspires you then to take on greater challenges and thus, something that leads to more growth and transformation!
    Please come! Would love to have you.

With gratitude and great respect,
    Jennifer

May 1, 2012 at 5:06 pm

Thanks for the lovely comment Jennifer! I definitely do believe in trying things that seem scary because most often I learn that it’s not scary at all. And that in itself is invigorating.

Deb
    May 1, 2012 at 3:01 pm

I am passionate about Pilates so I say “go for it”. I completely understand your hesitation, but there is truly nothing like it and there is no one like Jennifer. I have worked with Jennifer one on one and I have attended in a group with her. For me, it was more than Pilates…it was the experience and the feeling I had when I left a session with her. She will empower you and make you forget that you are not an “expert” in Pilates. We are all students all of the time. Enjoy! I actually might see you there :o)

May 1, 2012 at 5:07 pm

Wow..what an incredible endorsement for Jennifer. Thank you for reaching out..

Bella
    May 1, 2012 at 3:26 pm

I went to a Pilates class at my gym, and I know it’s going to be the kind of class that I love…eventually. At my weight (290ish), I wasn’t able to get into lots of the positions that were needed in the class. It’s a LOT of core work. I carry most of my weight in my hips & thighs, so it’s not even like my stomach is that big, but the positions were just not happening for me right now. (I do Bikram yoga all the time, too, just to give you some perspective).

I have heard that Pilates classes that use the Reformer (machine) are a lot easier for someone who is larger. I guess the Reformer is better for any beginner, because it almost forces you to use proper form.

If you can drop into a class at one of the gyms in your area, just to get a feel for the movements for yourself, I think you’ll have a better idea of whether or not you’ll be able to get the most out of the conference.

May 1, 2012 at 5:08 pm

Wow Bella..Thanks for the insight! I appreciate that!

Katie J
    May 1, 2012 at 5:29 pm

Kenlie, I personally have never done it but Mir at http://happyweightafter.blogspot.com has done it and totally encourages us all the time to do it.

Tabitha M.
    May 1, 2012 at 5:33 pm

I tried a beginers Pilates class and loved it. I have been doing zumba for about a year and a half, so it was a nice change of pace. I say try it.

sammy
    May 4, 2012 at 3:01 pm

I popped over because of well, that SW article. And then I saw this. I have been doing pilates for over a year (started when I fell very solidly in the obese category, actually, according to BMI charts) and I love it. If you are used to doing Yoga and you are start with a Mat class, you will be fine – you may feel some soreness in the core area a bit, but that is it. It is a different type of stretching then yoga, but amazing. When you get used to the moves, give a shot at some of the classes that use the equipments – the chairs, the towers or the reformer — especially for the reformer it helps if you know the basic mat moves first.

Lynne
    May 4, 2012 at 4:19 pm

I am an obese person. I lost over a hundred pounds between 2002-2005 and embraced a great exercise routine that included among other things, pilates. It is wonderful and I still apply some of the disciplines I learned from it today. My advice is to take private pilates classes that way you can go at your own speed and get a relationship with an instructor who knows your limitations (they will soon go away!) and work with you. It made me more flexible, helped with posture and gave me confidence about what my body could do. Go for it.
    Great blog by the way!
    Lynne

Ann
    May 5, 2012 at 6:01 pm

Don’t be intimidated to attend Jennifer’s workshop….
    She is so amazing, and makes each student feel like a million dollars while they accomplish more than they ever thought possible…
    I only wish I could attend the Kripalu event this June, but have a conflict.
    Go and ENJOY!