Silver Linings and Sweaty Accomplishments

The last several days have been great in some ways and not so great in other ways, but today I’d like to talk about a silver lining.  Last week during one of my interviews, I spent some time working out at the fancy gym that I’ve referred to in past posts.  The gym, which is actually called Peak Performance, is the nicest gym in the area, and several months ago I had to make a decision about whether I’d join that gym or not.

Ultimately, I knew that I couldn’t because it didn’t make financial sense I’m gone too much, but since then I’ve paid for a day pass on several occasions because I’m obsessed with the ladder.  If you read my blog or follow me on twitter then you’re probably already keenly aware of my love for this machine.

The ladder (aka Kenlie's favorite workout ever!)

Anyway, when we were trying to settle on a location for one of my interviews, I told the (charming and utterly handsome) reporter that I’d love to do the interview at my favorite gym!  And the folks at Peak were happy to oblige.  They were so gracious. I walked in expecting to do an interview, maybe use the ladder then move on with life, but what happened instead was pretty fantastic.

I walked into that gym and made friends with people who understood my struggles and my goals before I even explained them.  They welcomed me and accepted me just as I am, and they pushed me to test my own limits.  (This happened over the course of about 24 hours.  How cool is that?!)

Rocking the Arc Trainer...

When you’re my size (or any size really) walking into a gym can be intimidating to say the least.  I do it, and if you know me, you know that it hasn’t always been lovely.  I go to different gyms more often than the average person because it seems that I travel more than the average person.  But to walk in and feel welcome and accepted?  That doesn’t happen very often.  In fact, I’ve only had that experience in one other place, Richard Simmons’ studio in Beverly Hills.

Richard makes everyone feel welcome too!

Sunday afternoon I walked into Peak to talk with the owners about a few cool things that are happening, and approximately 3.5 hours later I left…sweating to the core.  My long time friend, M, was there with two of my new, super cool friends L and D.  They invited me to do a little circuit training with them, and they forced me to believe in myself even when I was unsure.  (These girls are tough, man…)

Old friends and new friends...all awesome...

After a few circuits featuring the ladder, the rope, the bosu ball, the arc trainer, the vertical wall and crab walks Meg suggested that I try a plank.  My immediate response was “Oh, I can’t plank yet.  I’ve tried it a million times.”  She said ” Yes you can…Try it a million and one times.  Just try.”  I tried and O-M-G I did it.  I didn’t just do a plank, I did lots of planks!  Suddenly I realized that I could do it so I tried doing it over and over, holding the pose longer each time until I was up to 12.8 seconds.

Making assumptions about me based on how I look would be a big mistake...just saying.

While a plank may not seem like a big deal to some, it was a dream come true for me.  And now I can check one more thing off of the list of “Things Kenlie Wants To Accomplish” even though I plan to get much stronger and fitter.

When I started my journey I exercised because I had to; now I do it because I love it.  I love how working out makes me feel.  My body craves it, and my heart loves it.

The good news is that I’m heading back to the gym today because one of the owners has offered to show me a thing or two, and based on what I’ve heard about her workouts I’m a little scared (in a good way.)

When I’m at Peak, I leave everything else outside and crave long, heart-pounding, sweat-inducing workouts, and that’s exactly what I need today.

Sabrina
    May 8, 2012 at 2:24 am

you are so inspiring!
    thanks for all your blogs!!

Sabrina
    The Netherlands

Kyra
    May 8, 2012 at 6:54 am

That’s fantastic! Financially, the local gym here is out of my reach as well, so I’ve sort of collected all types of exercise gear that I use. But I long for the opportunity to play with new and mysterious machines like that ladder one! I’ve never seen anything like that!

Sabrina
      May 8, 2012 at 7:29 am

i’ve seen the ladder on Obese NL on the TV but not in my own gym. I bet its an awesome workout!
      ‘Cause of people like you i have made the decision to really choose for me and will do personal training besides my regular workouts at the gym!

Thank you!

Penny L
    May 8, 2012 at 7:33 am

Kenlie,

You are my hero! If everyone had your “can do” attitude the world would be a happier place.

Penny

May 8, 2012 at 8:45 pm

I <3 you Penny.

Eliza
    May 8, 2012 at 7:37 am

You’re obviously FOCUSed and have done extremely well … congrats! This is a great NSV (Non-scale victory) for you!! Thanks for sharing.

Sarah
    May 8, 2012 at 8:43 am

I can’t decide if the ladder would be fun or terrifying!

Congrats on all the planks. Whenever I do a plank, I feel like I deserve a prize 🙂

May 10, 2012 at 2:02 am

It was terrifying at first…now it’s fun and tiring..ha

Nancy
    May 8, 2012 at 8:57 am

So happy you are accomplishing your goals! You really are inspiring. I hope you know how many people you are touching in addition to changing your own life. There is never a reason for anyone to doubt your physical or mental strength. You are an EFFING BEAST

Emily
    May 8, 2012 at 9:05 am

Kenlie!! I’m so proud of you for rocking that plank. A plethora of curse words come flying out of my mouth when I attempt those 😉 12 seconds is AWESOME. That looks like a fabulous gym!

May 8, 2012 at 8:46 pm

Haha..I don’t think I could say curse words while I plank..lol I can’t say any words when I’m doing that..lol

Jo Ann Wingfield
    May 8, 2012 at 11:09 am

Hi Kenlie,
    Congratulations on your weight loss and return to health and fitness. We’re on the same journey. I’ve lost 47 pounds since the first of the year and am thrilled to share the road with you. I felt defeated at the beginning and nearly once again gave up before I even started. You name a diet, I’ve been on it.

I’m thrilled for you and will look forward to your blogs and to sharing the joy in your progress.

My blog is oldhippie.org and I’ve love it if you’d check me out — I only blog about the diet once a week and otherwise it’s a mix.

Happy to meet you,

Jo Ann

May 10, 2012 at 2:03 am

Congrats to you too Jo Ann!

Steelers6
    May 8, 2012 at 11:26 am

So great to have friends that push you. 🙂 Good job on all the working out, and on that plank. Woo hoo! I imagine it will open the door to many ‘delightful’ (HA!) plank workouts, alternating push ups, T stands, etc. I might not have all the right names, but things that Jillian & Bob instruct on my DVD’s.
    Chrissy

Deb
    May 8, 2012 at 12:11 pm

I’ve never heard of the ladder, I’ll have to look it up. Congrats on the plank. One of my goal was to hold a plank for one minute. Took a little while but I did it and you can too if you want!

paralaxvu
    May 8, 2012 at 12:45 pm

Kenlie, because of you I’m a little bit closer to signing up at the gym near our place out of country. Since it’s out of country, it’s less expensive ($50 a month), yet it’s really nice and has a lot of good equipment. Not that I’d use much more than the elliptical at first; I still get out of breath walking for ten minutes. You’re definitely an inspiration, kiddo. And as far as I’m concerned, that perfect gym of yours should be giving you a free lifetime pass just for the all the nice things you’ve said and the publicity you’ve undoubtedly brought them. I’m just sayin’…(geez, I never thought that phrase would become part of my repertoire!)

Mommy Bags
    May 8, 2012 at 3:03 pm

This is really awesome. I too hated the gym but I found a good one and I love to go. And yes working out makes you feel good and after a while you crave it. Keep up the good work.

Tasha
    May 8, 2012 at 3:22 pm

Congrats!

Katie
    May 8, 2012 at 3:46 pm

I was listening to Cosmo radio today in the car and they mentioned your law suit story as one of the “7 things to know before you go”

Celeste
    May 8, 2012 at 8:03 pm

Just wanted you to know–my day is not complete unless I check into read your posts. I just took charge of my life March 4th–and have lost 38lbs to date with 62 more to go. I need your inspiration each day.

May 8, 2012 at 8:48 pm

What?! Whoa! Congrats! And thanks for being here. =)

Tammy
    May 8, 2012 at 10:42 pm

Kenlie, you rock! Because of my size, I am still too intimidated to walk in a gym. You go to several, that’s amazing. That ladder looks like a great workout and it looks like it would be fun in a challenging sort of way. Congratulations on the plank! I admire your enthusiasm for working out.

May 10, 2012 at 2:05 am

It’s so strange that as a nation we feel like we have to trim down before we go to the gym. I hope you can find one that makes you as comfortable as the ones I’ve found. We can all benefit from being there…regardless of size.

And Tammy…don’t apologize for who you are by skipping the gym if you really want to go. You’re a wonderful person, and that’s all that should truly matter..

Robbie
    May 9, 2012 at 12:50 am

I hate Plank! I love Plank! No, I really hate doing it. Thank you for inspiring me to try it again. And your posture looked really good!

John
    May 9, 2012 at 6:37 am

Kenlie, I applaude what you’re doing. I am a discrimination lawyer in Indiana setting up a national law practice representing indivduals who have been subject to weight discrimination (www.obesitylawgroup.com). I AM AN OBESE PERSON IN REMISSION myself who for over 50 years been subject to this silent form of discrimination. It’s time to stop it. Obesity isn’t a punch line it’s a disease!!

Lily
    May 9, 2012 at 11:08 am

You go girl!! Great attitude and awesome workout. Have you heard of Leptin resistance? Leo Galland, MD wrote a book about it. Worth looking at if you haven’t already. Keep up the good work!.