A Thousand Miles

I’m driving to the east coast today, and I’ll be in the car with a myriad of opportunities to make poor choices with food.  I’d really like to get there and honestly say that I was mindful so I’m posting here to keep myself accountable.

I will probably indulge in snack foods, but I don’t want to go overboard just because I’m in the car.  That has happened far too many times in the past, and I know it doesn’t have to be that way.

Do you have any tips for me?  If so, I’ll check them out when I’m in the passenger’s seat.

See you on the flip side, friends…

wendy
    June 30, 2012 at 1:20 am

Maybe stop at grocery stores for snack of fruit and alomnds instead of gas stations?
    Drink a full bottle of water before you snack?

sanumaria
    June 30, 2012 at 2:56 am

My trick is to stop at stores/market places and buy some fresh fruits and berries if I need something to eat in the car. Otherwise I just stop when I need to eat and try to select a restaurants which offer “home made” food. We have a gas station chain here in Finland which offers ordinary food (salads, steaks and sorts). Just stay clear from hamburgers and takeaways 🙂

mary
    June 30, 2012 at 4:55 am

fresh fruit
    trail mix…even the smallest bag satisfies my little sweet tooth
    carrots and celery
    whatever you choose, food or route, i know it will be wise and well thought over
    wishing you the best!

John
    June 30, 2012 at 8:55 am

take it from me who has driven all over the place pack a cooler and fill it with the “right stuff”

Karen P
      June 30, 2012 at 9:51 pm

Ditto what John says.

Brenda
    June 30, 2012 at 9:06 am

Hey girl,

Have a good time on your trip. I can’t offer a whole lot of advice on this because when I’m in the car on a trip I don’t eat at all, I barely drink all day. I have another obsession, it the “JUST GET THERE” there thing with me..lol When I went to South Dakota I only stopped for the bathroom and gas; hopped right back in the car and took off. I was more concerned with timing than eating. I don’t know why I’m like that. I have to be starving before I stop for something to eat and I usually am. I got a room at one particular motel because I love Applebees and it was across the street. I didn’t even go because I was to tired and lazy after my shower..lol Starved all night and did the fruit in the morning that the motel offered. I wouldn’t advise any of this 🙂 I’d lose some weight I bet if I was a truck driver. ha Maybe I should look into that…lol

I Love You and miss you,
    You and Mel have a great trip,
    Aunt Brenda

Ashley
    June 30, 2012 at 9:09 am

Buy some Turkey Perky Jerky…best Jerky ever, low sodium, no fat, low carb, low calories. You can get it at Target, GNC, 7-11 and some Home Depots. They have Beef and Turkey, turkey is better

paralaxvu
      June 30, 2012 at 1:50 pm

Whoa, that sounds like a snack I’d like even at home! Gonna hit up HD soon, thanks for the tip!

paralaxvu
    June 30, 2012 at 1:52 pm

I’m not the most mindful of eaters even at home, but I’ve found something quick and easy and tasty as well. I get a package of baby spinach (the kind in the plastic see-through box) and dump a can of tuna or salmon in it. Sometimes I add a dressing, but it’s tasty enough by itself.

Teresa
    June 30, 2012 at 2:04 pm

Almonds and dried fruit usually work for me, unsalted trail mix is fine but I find I have to pick up the pack to eat it — shake it in to my mouth — which doesn’t always work. 7/11 has apple slices & cheese packs, which is good but I find it easier to leave it opened in the bag than trying to open the plastic pack thingie while I’m driving. For something closer to real food, the wraps aren’t horrible, you just have to be careful what you get. Avoid anything with salad dressing (Russian is the usual).

I usually prefer water and coffee when driving but to cut down sugar (since I take my coffee sweetened) I trade the coffee for unsweetened ice tea as my caffeinated beverage, which you can usually get at gas stations, and has the virtue of being cold, a nice thing in this weather.

Sarah
    June 30, 2012 at 2:42 pm

I did not realize you were driving! Water water water. Having done that drive last summer…. Yeah, more water. Get out often and walk.
    I try and avoid snacking in car? Just eat meals. If I do want something for the car it’s either pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds. The latter need something you put shells in, but they make for a satisfying snack I find. A bit salty but again, water water water!
    Enjoy the drive!

airlie
    June 30, 2012 at 9:20 pm

I love driving and munching! Damn those calories. I find a good thermos of low fat chocolate to keep me tied over and some little cheese and cracker packages for savoury! Keep safe!

Jodi @ Jodi, Fat or Not
    July 1, 2012 at 11:38 pm

I recently had to be in the car for a couple hours and the urge to get junk food was strong! I ended up going for a bottle of water and low-calorie Gatorade, an apple and a Kind bar, but it was hard to pass up the chips and such.

K