Sleep

Is Awake Really the New Sleep?

I don’t usually have trouble sleeping.  Sure, I go to bed later than the average person, but when my head hits the pillow I enter dreamland pretty quickly.

I’m not the ‘tossing and turning’ type. When I sleep, I typically sleep soundly and wake up feeling refreshed.

I curl up with my pillows between my micro-fleece sheets, under multiple blankets (because I’m usually freezing) and drift to sleep.  But over the last few nights it hasn’t happened that way.  My sleep has been restless.

The last few nights my dreams have been extraordinarily similar.  They’ve been vivid and happy too, but I wake up feeling like I never quite rested.

Sleeping was chore before my body started shrinking, but I’ve grown accustomed to sleeping well.  And I don’t know what’s wrong.

I’m hoping for restful sleep tonight because I have a mid-term exam tomorrow and a long day surrounding it.

Has anyone else experienced this?   If so, did something change, or did your peaceful sleep return when it was ready to?

mary
    June 6, 2012 at 3:34 am

insomnia and i were very close friends
    and now it seems we are again.
    it is so annoying, especially when i look at the clock that now is saying 3:33am
    and i have to get up at 7:30 for work.
    i need to get this under control. pronto.
    at least i am not eating at this hour like i was before i was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.
    good luck
    xo

Kyra
    June 6, 2012 at 6:29 am

I think it was a full moon (or thereabouts?) I always have trouble sleeping when the moon is approaching full or around that. Makes me toss and turn.

Tammy
    June 6, 2012 at 7:16 am

I find that I have more trouble sleeping around my time of the month. Even when I sleep well, I never wake up refreshed. I feel constantly sleep-deprived. I hope you figure out how to get back to sleeping through the night!

Jodi @ Jodi, Fat or Not
    June 6, 2012 at 7:30 am

I’m typically a very good sleeper, but maybe two to three days a month I’ll have a couple of nights where I can’t fall asleep and then wake up even earlier than my alarm. I find that if I don’t stress about it too much, my normal good sleeping patterns return in a few days.

Grace @ Grace Dishes
    June 6, 2012 at 7:47 am

Something is always on my mind when I have trouble sleeping whether it’s from excitement or anxiety. What helps is exercising harder and tiring myself out and limiting caffeine intake after a certain time. I also dig down and think about what’s going on in my life that causing the change.

Good luck!

Jodi in Canada
    June 6, 2012 at 9:58 am

I JUST went through this. and Mine was a mixture of 2 things. one, was medication I was taking needed to be switched to the morning but the big one that I never noticed was that I was overheating. I put the air conditioner in and I was fine. I never felt like I was over heating but by morning it was horrible and I tossed all night after the first hour or two. Maybe try something like that

Joshua
    June 6, 2012 at 10:01 am

I can sleep all the time. But, right now, I know that has to do with my lack of exercise, my bad eating habits, and my depression.

When I get seriously stressed about something, then insomnia kicks in. I’ve actually found that getting out of bed and going into the living room helps. I’ll grab a book, a blanket and sit in my recliner. Usually, that helps get my mind off of things and relax me enough to fall (and stay) asleep.

Frank OHara
    June 6, 2012 at 11:41 am

Yes, Josahua, when we get our minds on something, it will keep us awake. For instance, the night before we leave to go on vacation, it is not uncommon to have sleep difficulties.

cookie
    June 6, 2012 at 3:52 pm

I rarely have trouble sleeping. Mostly because I slept too long and am not tired enough to go to bed again (usually on Sunday night). I would sleep twelve hours straight, but I get back pain when I am in bed for too long. And sometimes I think exercising makes me less tired in the evening. Sounds weird, right? Is not great either, because then I usually don’t get enough sleep till I have to get up at six in the morning.

Tina
    June 6, 2012 at 5:01 pm

If your mind is preoccupied (with either good or bad thoughts), it will affect your sleep.

One of the techniques a friend of mine suggested I use when I have trouble sleeping due to an overactive mind, is to imagine a blank piece of paper. I laughed when he suggested it, but one frustrating sleepless night I tried. It really did work.

Insomnia is no fun – I hope you’re able to find some rest!

Frank OHara
      June 6, 2012 at 6:22 pm

Tina wrote: “imagine a blank piece of paper.”

I go to my recliner chair and watch a really boring TV show. I’ve spent many restful nights in that recliner chair.

Erin Alexander
        June 6, 2012 at 7:29 pm

Sometimes I have to think about total blackness. It’s weird but it works!

Deb
    June 6, 2012 at 5:03 pm

11 years ago I took a job working nights for about 5 months. I worked 14 hour “days” 6 days a week for most of it. For the next ten years I was unable to sleep at night at all due to constant anxiety attacks. Once the sun came up, I’d fall straight to sleep.

For 2 1/2 years of my bf and I’d relationship, he worked nights and I was on his schedule to give us more time together. I had no problems at all sleeping during the day. Last November, he was transferred to days, and once again, I spend about 3 hours each night after I go to bed unable to fall asleep. If I take at least 12 to 15 mg of melatonin at bedtime, I can usually fall asleep within 90 minutes.

I would love to be able to just go to bed and sleep. But it never happens since working nights. 🙁

Ashley
    June 6, 2012 at 5:59 pm

Every now and again this happens to me as well, typically it occurs when I am feeling stressed or overwhelmed. I then notice that I have very vivid dreams and don’t feel rested. I am a therapist who works with soldiers after they have returned from deployment. They struggle with sleep concerns pretty frequently. We have a Sleep Group where we teach them better sleep habits. It is based on the book “Say Good Night to Insomnia” I recommend it to anyone. I am a good sleeper most of the time, but I learned a lot from the book as well.