weight loss

Kenlie Goes To Washington

Last week I mentioned that I’m moving to the D.C. area for at least a couple of months, but I didn’t express the emotions I’m feeling as a result of my impending move.  I wasn’t ready to talk about it then, and I’m not sure if I’m ready to talk about it now.  But it’s happening next week, and there are several reasons to be excited about it.

First, I’ll be back on the east coast, and I’ll be close enough to New York to be there frequently.  In fact, I’ll be spending my birthday weekend with friends and family there in early July.  Secondly, I’ll get to spend time with my super-awesome cousin who loves a lot of the things I love.  I’ll also live close to Trader Joe’s again which means the fridge will always be stocked with rosemary and garlic chicken breast, vanilla greek yogurt and brie, and I’ll experience the incredible buzz of our nation’s capital during a critical election season first-hand.

I’m not sure how long I’ll be there, and I’m not sure how I’ll feel once I arrive.  For years I’ve held a grudge against the DC area because of tough things that happened to me there.  I broke my foot on an escalator at the Arlington Cemetery metro stop in 2009, and I’ve never felt the same about the city.  But looking back I realize that my life changed in that moment.

The humiliation I felt as four men struggled to carry me up the escalator that day was the motivation I needed to begin changing my life.  I joined Weight Watchers a few weeks later, before my cast was removed, and as a result my mind and body are stronger than they’ve ever been.  I suppose I have Washington D.C. to thank for that.

It has been hard to feel the uncertainty that I’ve felt over the last year +, and the truth is that I’ve grown to love New Orleans.  I’ve met people here that I hope to know forever.  I’ve met people who have chosen to love me instead of judging me , people who believe in me. And I’ve learned a lot about my own capacity to love and my desire for it.  I’ve learned that I want to be strong, independent and successful, but I want love too.

I can’t say that New Orleans feels like home, but I can say I’d like to come back for a while.  New York is still my first love, but I love my school, my friends, being close to my family and listening to amazing live music on any night of the week in the French Quarter.  I still have things to accomplish in New Orleans.  My case is in federal court now, and I have a trial date so I’ll definitely be around.

I’m not sure what the future holds, but I’m looking forward to making new friends and experiencing new things.  There will also be plenty of photo-ops that I’ve never taken advantage of  in that city.

My family will always be important to me, but I’ll be close to them no matter how far away I am.  When I’m at school I feel like I’m exactly where I belong, and I crave that feeling so I’ll probably be back.  Until then, I plan to enjoy new opportunities and experience new surroundings.

Over all, I’m looking forward to the changes that are coming up.  I just wasn’t prepared to miss New Orleans, more specifically, the people…Okay, the person.  I wish I could just say it to get it off of my chest, but we all know I won’t.  I’ll just speak passively about it here instead.   I wish he’d just hug me today and say, “I know, Kenlie, and I’ll miss you too.”  He thinks what I’m doing is fantastic, and he’s right. Now that I’ve shared my emotions I’ll focus on all of the positives.

I just hope that someday I have a home…a place I truly belong.

Karen
    June 20, 2012 at 9:31 am

I am glad you are coming out to my neck of the woods!! Life has a funny way of working out. Maybe this is not the end for you and “the guy”. Sending love and support your way!

June 20, 2012 at 12:20 pm

I would guess it’s not the end, and that makes me happy. I’ll miss him though…sigh..

Rosalie
    June 20, 2012 at 9:46 am

Maybe there’s an even better guy jogging around the reflecting pool right now looking for a girl just like you!!! You never know the right person will fall into your life. And he may even wish he had someone to share a Georgetown cupcake with after his workout 🙂
    Best of luck in DC!

Pj geek
    June 20, 2012 at 10:09 am

I lived in Akexandria Va and worked at Georgetown university one summer and broke my foot on the 2nd day in town . My DC memories are not the happiest either, but I did meet new friends. I fell in love with old town in Alexandria and spent a good deal of time at museums once I could walk around. Take care of yourself.

Julie
    June 20, 2012 at 9:08 pm

My family and I just moved to NoVa (about 35 miles outside of DC) about a year ago, and we are enjoying it. I hope you do also, and that DC embraces all of your Kenlie-ness.

Amanda
    June 21, 2012 at 10:29 am

I lived in DC as an intern the summer after I graduated from college. I wanted to stay there, but I couldn’t afford it so I had to move home to the midwest (glad I did since I would have never met my husband). It’s in my top 5 favorite US cities. There is so much going on in the city.

I hope you enjoy the city more this time around!

Emily @MeLess50
    June 21, 2012 at 10:59 am

I can understand your conflict, but as a native Washingtonian, I’d advocate for everyone to move here! I’m in Maryland now (Columbia, just in between DC and Baltimore) if you ever want a buddy around!

Margi Hansen
    June 21, 2012 at 8:45 pm

are you moving to continue with school or are you done with school and have a job? Or not finishing school and have a job, or or or…..what subject (major) are you studying?

DC is a fantastic city! But I _totally_ get that grudge.

Jennifer
    June 21, 2012 at 9:48 pm

You will do great wherever you go! I am also close to DC and would love to meet you some time. You are an inspiration to us all!

Suzanne
    June 22, 2012 at 9:33 am

I’m a Northern Va dweller living about 15 mins outside of DC & I love living here. There is a lot to do around in and around DC but also you are not to far from a short trip to the mountains or the beach.
    If you ever have a “meetup” for your DC area “fans” that would so fun & would love to meet you 🙂

Suzanne
    June 22, 2012 at 9:34 am

excuse my typo- I meant to say “a lot to do in and around DC…”

cookie
    June 22, 2012 at 2:45 pm

That Trader Joe’s must be amazing. I keep reading how people would love to have them around all the time.

Kim
    June 24, 2012 at 11:57 am

Hi, new reader here, came by to cheer you on re: Southworst and am happy to hear you are moving to my area! I’m also in Old Town Alexandria, new as of just over a year, but loving it! If you work in DC and need a lunch or happy hour friendly face, let me know! Plus, DC has said to tell you it is ready to apologize for your past experiences together and wants to start fresh! Good luck with the move!

Suburban Sweetheart
    June 28, 2012 at 10:10 am

I lived in D.C. for three years & miss it SO MUCH. I hope you’ll come to love it – but as someone who’s also about to move somewhere she doesn’t want to go (New Jersey, with the Coast Guard), I definitely understand these feelings. Good luck. <3