Exercise

Crossfit: Yes or No?

If you’re reading this I have a few questions for you.  Will you please take a moment to share your opinion with me?

Have you tried Crossfit?

Do you want to try it?

Do you love it/hate it?

Would you recommend it to someone who’s trying to shake up their workouts?

Stephanie O
    July 20, 2012 at 12:49 am

I haven’t tried it. I was interested in it for a while, especially after my DH and I started weightlifting (a very simple program with free weights – deep squats, deadlift, bench press, rows, overhead press). Experiencing that made me think crossfit could be similar but much more fun. BUT – the experience of lifting very heavy weights with good form made me think crossfit is a bad idea – the whole point is to do things to the point of physical exhaustion, which in the case of many of the lifts would be dangerous IMO. It could definitely be fun, but be aware of the limits of your body and don’t get hurt!

Heidi
    July 20, 2012 at 1:39 am

Yes, I have tried crossfit and I love it. My classes were all relatively small, so it was a chance to get some ‘personal training’ in a group environment. It is humbling (there were some exercises that I couldn’t do and had to modify) and prime for goal setting and making progress. I like to lift weights, so the strength training component was a plus.

The box that I went to did not necessarily push things “to the point of exhaustion” – we did stretching/warm-up, ‘work’ (where we learned and practiced proper form) and then the workout of the day (WOD), which was a combo of strength, plyometric and cardio training. Sometimes the WOD consists of a set number of reps, sometimes we did as many reps as possible (AMRAP) sometimes we did exercise for a set amount of time.

I’m reupping in September after I take the GMAT.

PlumPetals
    July 20, 2012 at 1:47 am

Hi 🙂 I’ve recently started CrossFit (about 2 months) and I love it! I was really, really intimidated at first. They definitely push you, but not to the point of injury! You lift weights according to what you can. I have noticed huge improvements in my strength and stamina even though I struggle with a lot of the jumping movements – box jumps, burpees – and the pull ups! Still, the atmosphere gets you really pumped. I think it’s fantastic! (I’ve got reviews on my blog under the CrossFit label if you’re interested).

Hope all is well 🙂

Tina
    July 20, 2012 at 3:38 am

Hi you should check out 300pounds down. She started at 417 pounds and is about halfway to goal and just tried cross fit and she has a couple of recent posts about what it was like for her.

Ryan
    July 20, 2012 at 3:49 am

I have not tried Crossfit, and am reluctant to due to the risk of injury.

Steph
    July 20, 2012 at 4:33 am

I adore Crossfit! I have been doing it for a while! It is part of my weekly training I also do boxing and bootcamp! But I love crossfit !!!

Grace @ Grace Dishes
    July 20, 2012 at 6:00 am

A lot of the people I know swear by it! They try to get me and my boyfriend involved but so far we haven’t bit the bullet.

My cousin who’s serving in Afghanistan right now says it’s an amazing program. My boyfriend’s college friend says it’s like a team and you feel motivated by each other but sometimes you feel VERY pushed to your limits.

I’d be interested in what you decide!

Ashley
    July 20, 2012 at 8:02 am

I like it, it’s tough though. I’ve definitely gone into workouts thinking “eek, I dunno about this today?” You will feel good after though.

Alix
    July 20, 2012 at 8:06 am

Yes! For me, the two major benefits of CrossFit are the programming – I’ve never been able to design a varied, well-balanced routine for myself, so having the workouts change daily gets me a better workout and also keeps me excited to go and sad when I miss a day. Also, we always have two or three coaches there for each workout, making sure we’re picking challenging but not dangerous weights, calling us out when our form gets sloppys, and not letting us quit! 🙂

Kyra
    July 20, 2012 at 8:10 am

I have a friend who is an instructor, but I haven’t tried it (we’re not THAT close that she can con me into it yet.) But I want to try it. I may try it before the year is out!

Beth@WeightMaven
    July 20, 2012 at 8:26 am

While I spend a lot of time in the paleosphere where there are lots of CrossFit fans, it holds zero interest for me. I’m older and have back issues, so think the risk outweighs any potential benefit.

Jennifer
    July 20, 2012 at 9:05 am

My 17 year old son joined and loves it, though it’s very intense, and he’s been known to have to skip workouts while he recuperates from the previous one. He joined because he wanted something more rigorous than what he was doing on his own, and also to be with folks that he had common bonds with already…he’s a volunteer with the rescue squad and wants to be a police officer. Being in rescue, he knew many of those people were members, as are many of the firemen and police officers he’s crossed paths with, so it’s been great for him to find acceptance surrounded by those in the field already. He went from being your average lean teenager to OMG-did-those-jeans-fit-like-that-when-I-bought-them? in a very short period of time.

Jenn
    July 20, 2012 at 9:40 am

There is risk for injury in every exercise activity we take on, if not done with proper form & with caution.

I CrossFit about 4x a week and I love it. I go at my own pace, use weights that are right for me and modify any & all work outs as needed. I trust in my body & my coaches.

In 4 months, I have seen tremendous change in my strengh, my body and my diet.

becca
    July 20, 2012 at 10:22 am

never tried it but would consider it

Valerie (seattlerunnergirl)
    July 20, 2012 at 10:41 am

Kenlie, I have done Crossfit at several different “boxes” (their terminology for a gym) and I love it. I’ve done it at 250+ pounds and I’ve done it when I was at my lowest weight (190 pounds). What I like about Crossfit:

1. Team atmosphere. Everyone does the same workout, but a good coach will modify exercises for those who are less fit so you can do the workout with everyone else. When the most fit folks are done, most of the time they stick around and encourage everyone else to finish.

2. Pushes you to try new things. I disagree that Crossfit workouts are any more injury-inducing than anything else high intensity. That being said, you are being pushed to try new things and explore your limits. Finding a GOOD Crossfit coach is KEY. If you do, you will leave most of the workouts impressed with how much you were able to do and feeling pretty badass.

3. Part of the Crossfit philosophy is functional fitness – in fact, it’s pretty much the basis for the whole workout. So you won’t be doing “pointless” targeted exercises that don’t actually translate into helping you move better through life. All the movements and exercises are based on movements people use throughout a real “day in the life,” so your functional fitness (not to use a buzz phrase) will improve.

Things I don’t like:

1. Mostly just the price. It can be quite a bit more spendy than a “regular” gym. But if you compare it instead to the cost of personal training (many Crossfit classes are pretty small so you get lots of one-on-one attention from the coach), it’s actually pretty affordable. You can also shop around, buy Groupon deals for different boxes until you find one you like, etc.

The proof is in the pudding, so give it a try and see if YOU like it!

Sarah
    July 20, 2012 at 3:01 pm

I am impressed by the people who go and all they do and the strength/stamina they are building that it makes me want to try it so badly! And so I am working on my confidence to give it a shot. It’s just another one of those fitness adventures I need to realize that can be part of my weight-loss journey, not something I get to do when I get closer to my goal.

Jen
    July 20, 2012 at 3:36 pm

I had a really bad experience trying out Crossfit. Maybe it was the center I went to, I wrote about it here. http://www.losingtheshadow.com/2012/04/mess-with-failure.html

Andrea
    July 20, 2012 at 4:35 pm

My husband and I both love it! We’re in the military and we have two very different body shapes and fitness levels. I like intense weight activities to right off the challenge appealed to me. My husband has been doing it much longer and he did it while in Afghanistan for a year. With anything, know your body and your limits – physically and mentally. This was great for me for changing my mentality first and the physical results are following.

Anna
    July 20, 2012 at 9:50 pm

I set up my fundamentals one on one for aug 30th! I’m scared lol

Anna
    July 20, 2012 at 9:55 pm

Oh and I know here in San Diego most boxes gap have free sat sessions

Desperate Dieter
    July 21, 2012 at 10:09 am

Not for me! I just a quick look through their website and was instantly appalled at how, on one of their instructional mini-videos they showed a young woman picking up a bar barely bending her knees! Bad posture, bad mistake.
    Saying that, I guess if you’re healthy enough to try it, and have the willpower, then go for it. I suffer from many medical problems including (though not limited to) rheumatoid arthritis – so it’s a “NO” for me, even if I wanted to.

Seja_LiveLaughLove
    July 22, 2012 at 1:39 am

I have not actually tried CrossFit but I love the idea. Especially if you have a good coach. Because there are so many “max” and HIIT training programs that are led by people people who are not trained correctly. And if you are going to push yourself to your max, and push through the mental barriers proper form is imperative. I’m eager to hear about your experience, what did you think? 🙂

Bella
    July 22, 2012 at 1:20 pm

Everyone I know who does CrossFit absolutely LOVES it. I haven’t done it myself, because I just don’t feel I’m at the fitness level that it requires. (Although they do say that they take people of all fitness levels). There are two CrossFit “boxes” within 3 miles of my house, so I do eventually want to try it. I think you just helped me find another item for my Fitness Bucket List.

You really enjoy pushing yourself in your workouts, so I think you should at least go down to a box and see what you think.

Julie
    July 22, 2012 at 7:33 pm

I can say that it wasn’t for me, but I see that it’s for tons of other people who swear by it. If you want to know more, feel free to visit my post on “Why CrossFit is not for me.” http://wearingmascara.com/2012/05/23/why-crossfit-is-not-for-me/

I hope it helps! Also… and I didn’t even mention this is the post, but it’s VERY expensive…

Helen
    July 26, 2012 at 8:06 pm

Have you tried Crossfit? No, i’ve been conteplating it. It is expensive, although I think it would be worth the expense.

Do you want to try it? Yes, very much, just haven’t made the commitment.

Do you love it/hate it? I’ll let you know, hopefully sooner than later.

Good Luck