How Often Do You Buy Groceries?

I find myself at the supermarket at least a few times a week.  I things like chicken breast and turkey burgers in bulk, but I stop in regularly for fresh produce and other things that sound good one day and not the next.

This isn’t a great habit because I often buy unhealthy foods on a whim, then I eat them.  I’m trying not to do that right now, and I’m okay at least today.

How do you handle it?  How often do you find yourself at the grocery store?

Rose
    July 19, 2012 at 6:34 am

I try to plan my meals so I only need to shop once. If I buy it, I will use it!, because I hate to waste money. And you’re right, there’s a lot of temptation at the grocery store! I try to avoid repeated trips for that reason.

July 24, 2012 at 1:39 am

That’s a good reason to avoid the store. I try not to go when I’m hungry because that just compounds the temptations.

Liz
    July 19, 2012 at 7:17 am

I only go once a week. If I went any more than that, I would certainly end up buying a whole bunch of junk on impulse.

Kyra
    July 19, 2012 at 8:04 am

I live in the country and the closest grocery store is over 20 minutes away and not on the way to anything (and it’s only one of two anyway, for an hour radius). Going to the store often is a real pain, so we go for our main trip once a week, but often have to stop by the store here and there or the dairy for milk (two kids, and all that) and fresh veggies and fruit. We also hit Costco about once a month or every two months.

Tara
    July 19, 2012 at 8:30 am

I’m anal retentive. I meal plan once a week for the coming week, either on Saturday or Sunday and then I shop that day WITH A LIST for anything I need to make the things I plan to eat all week long.

Then I try to avoid going to the grocery store again until the next weekend. Keeps me out of trouble and saves me the hassle of having to stop at the store twenty times a week.

Ais
    July 19, 2012 at 8:39 am

I live about 5 minutes walking distance from a major shopping area, not just food, but everything you could think of (okay, not so much with home repair or anything like that, but clothing, bags, skin care, jewelry, craft stores, grocery shops, book stores, etc!). I grocery shop Monday, Wednesday, Friday; mostly I shop as much as I do to avoid having to carry too many things up the 5 flights of stairs that are between the ground and the condo.

Jessica
    July 19, 2012 at 8:45 am

I go 2-3 times a week.. But we are a family of 5 and 3 of those are 10 and under. I am a COUPONER and have a lot of stores within a 10 mile radius that I can coupon at and all have different days of the week that their new circulars go into effect. There are many times I will walk in and buy 20 items and hand over 20 coupons and have looked at nothing else.. There are other days I use 4 coupons and purchase 20 items.. b/c the clearance shelf was full of killer deals.. I used to be TERRIBLE and would make those last second snacky purchases that you are talking about. Not only did they kill me waistline and cause my weight to skyrocket.. they were nickle and diming my checkbook. I have worked hard to change my mindset and pretty much refuse to buy anything *fun* that doesn’t come near free with a sale and a coupon. My kids know this and that helps!
    Maybe change your mental challenge? Instead of it being foods you don’t need.. maybe make it a wallet challenge.. How much can you NOT spend this week? By only purchasing the necessary fruits/veg/protein you need how much money can be left in your envelope at the end of the week? This includes all sorts of fun challenges.. like remembering your refillable water jug and not buying a bottle at school. Having a snack bar in your purse( I am sure it is big enough for a few bars!) and not grabbing one at campus.. Having gum and mints on you so you don’t look at the machines…. Set a specific amount of food/snack money for each week and leftovers go into the fun jar.. that will buy you a new dress/sandles/nail polish…

July 24, 2012 at 1:41 am

I carry a 32 oz Nalgene with me almost all the time, and I fill it up a couple of times while I’m at school.

I think I’ll try to make it a challenge over the next month to see how much I can *not* spend on food. Maybe that will spur me to make healthy choices more regularly as well.

Thanks for the tips!

K
    July 19, 2012 at 9:00 am

Sticking to a grocery list is magical. You have to put your blinders on. If I want to by an impulse item, I use my ww calculator. I only get it if it “worth the points.” (WTP)

Jennifer
    July 19, 2012 at 10:23 am

I LOVE grocery stores! I hit 3 different ones, depending on what I’m looking for, but per week, I’d say I go 2-3 times to 1 or more of those options. I try to limit my trips to the perimeter, but sometimes have to dart down an aisle for a can of black beans or pack of tortilla wraps (do you know they make them with 12g fiber now???) Grocery expeditions inspire me and keep me eating different things, fresh, instead of getting in a rut and depending on the same thing for lunch every day to keep me within my calorie budget.

Lisa
    July 19, 2012 at 10:39 am

I DESPISE grocery shopping, even with just 3 of us in the house. So it is a chore to go more than once a week. I make a general menu for the next week and make a list. Then I go to the local market which is a smaller store, but has a great meat department – then I send the daughter to get part of the list. She knows the store as well as I do and we get done that much quicker – and it only costs me a bag of Skittles. Sometimes if I have to, I’ll go to Kroger.

Dominique
    July 19, 2012 at 10:56 am

I plan ahead and do one grocery trip for the week. This doesn’t include trips to the farmers markets though.

Grace @ Grace Dishes
    July 19, 2012 at 10:59 am

I go 1-2 a week when I look through the weekly ads online to see what’s on sale so I know which store I need to make a pitstop at.

I head to Costco about 1x a month or 1x every two months!

Caron
    July 19, 2012 at 12:46 pm

I make a list and stick to it. I skip a lot of the aisles because I do not need anything from them. I do not need cereal, chips or soda. That eliminates three aisles right there. I do occasionally have to go down the cereal aisle to get oatmeal but nothing else.

Try making a list of what you really need. It might help. 🙂

Carina
    July 19, 2012 at 2:04 pm

We shop once a week. Toward the end of the week, sometimes we rely on frozen veggies or things like cauliflower or brussels sprouts, which last long in the fridge, and sometimes late in the week we eat more apples/oranges for fruit, since those also last long.

Deb
    July 19, 2012 at 4:14 pm

On average, I probably go twice a week. I get almost everything we need on the first trip, and if there’s any money left over, then at some point bf usually requests something we don’t normally have and I go get it. Or sometimes I just decide to make a meal that wasn’t really planned and need a few other items.

As to unhealthy foods, I pretty much stay out of aisles that have things I shouldn’t be eating.

Abigail
    July 19, 2012 at 5:22 pm

I use a website to menu plan, make shopping lists and it holds all my recipes. It’s http://www.howdoesshedoit.com Its great, but when you first start to use it it can be irritating because putting in your own recipes is time consuming. But once you have them in, you just had to add them to your menu for the week and *poof* all the ingredients are added to your shopping list. You just have to cross out duplicate items for various recipes and make annotations as to how much you need like, adding a 3 to the onions because you need 3. I am a SAHM so I do all the recipe planning and cooking for the most part. But I would guess for even single people it would be nice, making big batches of recipes and having leftovers for the week and whatnot. Plus you can make”recipes” as simple as you want. English muffins, almond butter, pear, and you have a recipe for a great breakfast or snack.

Desperate Dieter
    July 19, 2012 at 6:38 pm

I have four children (who have always bought ALL their friends round to eat at my home)… but three of those have grown up and left home, which just leaves my youngest. It’s so hard adjusting the shopping from feeding a family of 6, to just the three of us at home now. I still cook meals for at least half a dozen people, so my freezer is always stocked to overflowing. As you can guess, grocery shopping is a constant turnaround in our home. I don’t actually do the shopping – my poor hubby does it – every other day! He’s really good at finding bargains – unfortunately, that doesn’t help me reduce the cooking I do *lol*
    Still… if ever anyone close by suddenly needs to cater a banquet, I have the freezer to help *lol*
    Funily enough, I do love grocery shopping. Once a month I go to our local farmshop and go mad buying vegetables. Crazy, huh?!

suzanne
    July 19, 2012 at 6:46 pm

Unfortunately I have one of the best grocery stores right across the road from me! I end up going 3 times a week or so and it is usually for perishables that just don’t keep long in this hot weather.

Tracy aka Tiny Tank
    July 19, 2012 at 7:14 pm

I shop once a week. I too like fresh foods but I plan my meals so that towards the end of the week I may use frozen fish or other proteins. I find if I shop more than once a week I buy too much. I too don’t like to waste food and if I don’t plan then I find that I waste.

Nina
    July 19, 2012 at 7:30 pm

I do best when I stay on sort of the same thing every week. So I have a go-to list of foods I always get. Greek Yogurt, Almond Milk,. Veggies, Chicken Breasts etc … I probably shop every two weeks for things that are shelf-stable and about once a week for little things. Shopping is great … it’s restaurants that get me!

Terri Fenner
    July 19, 2012 at 8:25 pm

Kenlie, from a person who was a size 5 in my 20’s, who now weighs 340, I admire your courage and “never give up” attitude. Day to day life can be a struggle but add into this, extra weight and the million and one issues that go with it, at times impossible. I deal with it by denial. That’s why I I wanted to be a member of your site, your day to day life reports are helping me break out and look at what is aimed at my mouth. It’s a step. I keep fruit in my purse or on my desk but still hit the “mid-isles” at stores. Don’t give up, you give me hope.

PlumPetals
    July 20, 2012 at 1:49 am

I usually go once a week. The main thing that has helped me is that I plan my menu, write down all the ingredients, and then make my shopping list. I don’t cook with things that call for cream, cheese, chocolate, etc. so they don’t enter my shopping cart … and of course, never shop when you’re hungry 🙂

Julie Ann
    July 20, 2012 at 12:21 pm

I hate grocery shopping and I too will make poor choices if I spend too much time in the grocery store. Consider having a friend shop for you. Trade house cleaning, which will get you moving, for her to do your grocery shopping (give her a list & money). You’ll get a good work out and come home to healthy food!

Vicki
    July 21, 2012 at 8:47 am

I think I’ve gone to the grocery store 3 times in the past 7 days which is alot for me. But I just started cooking and trying healthy recipes and I never have any of the ingredients in the recipes cause I never use to cook.

Carol B
    July 21, 2012 at 9:06 pm

Once a week to Costco for milk, veggies, meat and fruit. Then Walmart usually 1-2 times a month for cleaning supplies, toiletries, etc….