Numbers Mean Something

by Kenlie Tiggeman on July 31, 2012

I know I’m going to get some flack for caring about the numbers on the scale as much as I do right now, but I’ve made it pretty clear that I’m going to say what I feel whether it’s popular or not.  I’m relieved that most of you understand and support me in that because I’m tired of fearing this number.

I have been within a few pounds of this number for what feels like an eternity, and I’m tired of it.  Right now it seems easier to climb Mt. Everest than to reach the 270′s, but I am determined to do it.  This is what I weighed at my last Weight Watchers meeting before I left New York for good, and it has haunted me since I left.

For a long time I let myself believe that I didn’t deserve to lose, and I didn’t.  I have already admitted that I’ve spent far too long just getting by, but I deserve it now because I’m working for it now.  I’m so close too, and I have decided that I will allow myself to succeed.

I forgive myself for the time I’ve wasted and for the mistakes I’ve made, and I am claiming success.  And right now, success feels like letting go of the past and moving into a stronger, healthier future that I am creating for myself.

I’ve taken a lot of steps toward the life I want since January, and shedding weight needs to be among my primary focuses again.

I want to do better, and for the last several days I have been.  I just need to keep it up, and that’s the plan.

Maybe the numbers don’t matter to you; maybe they shouldn’t matter to me, but the fact is they do.  I’m going to crush this goal, and the reward will be believing that I can finish what I started.

Do you have any short-term goals?   If so, what are they?

{ 20 comments… read them below or add one }

Keri July 31, 2012 at 12:18 am

My short term goal is to lose 10lbs…. I am stuck at 285:-(

Grace @ Grace Dishes July 31, 2012 at 12:47 am

My short term plan is to strive to eat as healthy as possible until I can get back to Tampa and tackle my last 5-10 lbs!

Chris July 31, 2012 at 5:48 am

It’s that kind of focus that makes things happen!

Fatty McFatPants July 31, 2012 at 7:22 am

Nothing wrong with focusing on the scale if that’s what motivates you. In fact, if the number doesn’t unhinge you (like it does me), more power to you!

Joanna July 31, 2012 at 9:13 am

I’m one of those people that believe the scale is necessary…especially being so much overweight. It might not be so important to people that don’t have as much to lose – or it’s harder to change the scale for them – but being 100lbs overweight causes me to rely on my success when I see the number on the scale changing.

For the first time in months, I hit the 240′s this week. I lost 5lbs in 3 weeks, and now I want to lose 5lbs in 2 weeks. Short, easy goals – but feels so good when I reach them.

Peg July 31, 2012 at 9:17 am

I think that you are smart to pay attention to the number on the scale. You don’t change what you aren’t focused on! If one of your goals is to lose weight, then you must pay attention to the numbers. Those numbers not only include the scale, but also include what you put into your mouth (calories/points) and the effort you expend (minutes working out.)

I’m doing fine with what I put in my mouth (down 31 lbs since May); not so much with exercise. My short term goal is to work out hard for at least 45 minutes – 4 times a week. I want to be more toned and not so flabby. That doesn’t happen without hard work!

Tammy July 31, 2012 at 10:10 am

I hate having to worry about the numbers, too. I’ve got to do it, though, because lately they aren’t moving or they are going the wrong way. Since tomorrow is August 1, I decided to concentrate on making healthy decisions all month – I’m considering it “Awesome August”.

Mandy July 31, 2012 at 11:02 am

I KNOW you can do it!! And then you can kiss those higher numbers (than that) good bye FOREVER! You know I’m always supportive of you…and numbers DO matter to us because they are milestones. I don’t think there’s a darn thing wrong with that. :)

Sheila July 31, 2012 at 11:10 am

Sure the number matters, even though it’s not always fun. I’ve read so many articles about not getting on the scale and just go with how you feel or how your clothes fit. Well that doesn’t always work and can be a trap for me. But I don’t have a scale in my house because it causes me to check it everyday. My scale is at my parent’s house and I weigh-in once a week. You’re doing great.

Tera July 31, 2012 at 11:25 am

I think the numbers matter a lot. Mostly because that’s generally how we define “success”. Whether our clothes fit better (or they are more loose) and our bodies looking less heavy are also great factors in determining success, but numbers are usually how we gauge our success for weight loss. When I lost 60 lbs the first time I did WW, I would look at my body and still “see” those 60 lbs even though they weren’t there. But I knew from looking at the scale, that they were definitely not there. It’s hard to sometimes see the success on our own bodies but having the scale verify with numbers is so much more gratifying…at least it was for me.

We both can conquer our numbers. For me right now it’s 245…haven’t moved too far from it for about 4 months. But I know I can and that’s the part I have to remember. It’s just a number and I have the power to move myself away from it.

Good luck and keep up the great work!!!

Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio July 31, 2012 at 12:25 pm

It’s ok that the numbers matter it’s more how we allow them to affect our mental state. Platues can be tough but you’ll find the key to the next stage, you will. My big Ah ha! was realizing that I’m eating until I’m at about an 8 when I can totally eat up to a 6 or 7. Just those few extra bits (and bites of my husband’s dinner) can make a huge different. If you do that at each meal… that’s some extra calories. My goal is to eat until I’m at a 6-7 on a 1-10 satisfaction scale.

Valerie (seattlerunnergirl) July 31, 2012 at 1:24 pm

I think numbers matter a lot, no matter what anyone says. It’s just not healthy to let them be the end-all, be-all, and I don’t think you’re doing that. I know you can bust out of the 280s, and I am so glad you are setting your intentions for self-forgiveness and giving yourself this gift. I can’t wait to watch you continue to succeed!

Jan July 31, 2012 at 2:56 pm

For me, the number is what motivates. When I see it decrease, it certainly motivates me. I know you’re suppose to let your clothes be the judge of weight loss (and how you’re feeling), but for some of us…it’s the number that drives us. It’s one of those, “to each his own” scenarios (in my opinion). You do what you’ve got to do to get where you’ve got to go. If the number is what’s going to help push you to the next level (the 270′s), then by all means, focus on it, be sick of it, push your way past it. You can do it!!!

Tina July 31, 2012 at 4:36 pm

My short-term goal is 15 lbs. I got down to 220 lbs. last December (my lowest weight in over 25 years), and I totally slacked off and gained some back. I’m sitting at 234 lbs. right now, and I just started going back to the gym and counting my calories again this week. I’m determined to lose 10 of those pounds by the end of August, when I go back to school.

Good luck to you!

Julie July 31, 2012 at 6:00 pm

I totally get the numbers thing. I post mine on my blog every Friday. Really, in the end, that number will show that we have reached our final destination. Maintaining that number will tell an even bigger story about how much we have learned. Sometimes my mini goal is the next five pounds. I go up and down a lot, and it takes me forever to lose 10 pounds. So sometimes my mini goal is simply getting to the next lowest pound, then maintaining it. Please, please remember that we are all worthy, and you deserve this, and you can do this. And there is no time frame. Living healthy has to be our biggest goal, and our biggest success! I constantly remind myself that I am so much healthier than I used to be! So are you!

Lisa August 1, 2012 at 1:24 am

I hear ya on the numbers – they mean more to me that they should but that is the way it is!

I so want to get back to 102 kg that I was a year ago but for some reason I can’t get there

I need to still down and sort out my shite!
Short term goal – get refocussed and loose 5kg in 8 weeks!

Meredith August 1, 2012 at 5:13 pm

Boy, am I with you on this! I gained back 10 on my way and losing those as well as getting back on the general weight loss track feels like an Olympian challenge. Gonna try though!

Heather August 1, 2012 at 8:05 pm

I feel ya girl.
I have gained 20 pounds since last summer.
I became a 41 year old college student and the weight creeped on with every quick drive thru meal that was “just this once ” because I am so busy.
I have turned the train around and lost 5 pounds in 2 weeks and feel like a new woman! Get the momentum going girl and don’t stop.

Amanda August 1, 2012 at 10:28 pm

I just found your site and I really like this post! Self forgiveness is a great step. Move on. You got this! :)

Lisa August 6, 2012 at 3:41 pm

There is nothing wrong with caring about the number on the scale. When I was trying to lose my 100 pounds, it mattered a lot to me! It showed my progress, or lack there of, and it was motivating me to keep going. I think it’s important to have number goals (like in 25 or 50 pound increments) so you can celebrate when you reach them!