weight loss

Any Ideas?

Last week I decided to see what life would be like if I cut out processed carbohydrates for a week so I cut out things like bread, cereal, wraps and processed snacks.   I liked the results I saw on the scale, and I also liked feeling the way I did so I decided to limit carbs again this week too.

Throughout the week I kept noticing that I didn’t miss junk food as much as I thought I would, and after losing nearly 13 pounds in a week I was thrilled.  I know I won’t see a loss that big next Sunday, but I also recognized that eating this way will help me shed pounds.  I’ll be thrilled if I lose 2-3 pounds before my next weigh-in.

I’m not counting calories or points (even though I’d like to find a new meeting in downtown New Orleans,) but I am being mindful.  When I’m hungry I eat, but I’m not snacking between meals as I was until last week.  I’m eating foods that are high in protein and other nutrients like egg whites, chicken, leafy greens, nuts, etc., and while nuts and veggies have some carbs they’re healthy and energy-inducing which is what I need.  I think I mentioned that I do measure the nuts and leafy greens because I don’t want to overdo it on the nuts which is easy to do, and I want to make sure I’m eating as many greens as I think I am.

I’ve also been making Caesar saladsusing 14g of light dressing, and the few carbs I consume from the dressing is worth because it’s enough to make a giant salad enjoyable.  I’m eating watermelon too, though it’s becoming increasingly difficult to find a sweet one.  (Does this mean Summer is almost over?)

Last night I marinated steak, onions and green peppers to make fajitas tomorrow night with The Suit.  I hadn’t eaten dinner yet so I cooked a serving, and it was fabulous – even without the tortilla.  I had a little sour cream (about 2 carbs worth) and found it easier to eat with a fork than a tortilla anyway.

I can’t say that I’m on a low-carb diet because there are days when I will eat carbs.  There are just many more that I won’t.  Weight-loss is about balance, and I’m trying to find mine by eating satisfying foods that won’t offend the scale.

What are your favorite low-carb foods?  I could use some snack ideas.  An ounce of nuts is fine, but I don’t like to eat that much fat in a snack regularly.  Any ideas?

mary
    August 22, 2012 at 4:11 am

yay you! i tell you kenlie, since they diagnosed me with type 2 diabetes in late february , i have been really cutting out my beloved carbs and sugar as much as i can~you know without going totally nuts about it all
    i am happy to report i am down 22.5 pounds! now i am telling myself
    “imagine what would happen if you REALLY tried!”
    i know nothing happens overnight, this weight gain certainly did not
    my very wise aunt once said “oh honey you have to patient, it did not all come on all at once, and it cannot leave all at once~it’s all part of the process of change”
    wise wise lady i tell ya.

the key thing i think is not to deprive yourself of an occasional treat, the meds i am on i pretty much have to force myself to eat a snack at night, when before i used to always have something aweful before bedtime.

the hardest thing for me right now is to remind my husband that he does not have to bring me a banana split from dairy queen (as he did tonight, it was his birthday and a special occasion …but oh lord did i pay for that already ugh..tummy trouble) but instead to bring me a small cone, or something small. you know what i mean? that man has the metabolism of a tit mouse i swear!

i was going cold turkey on little puddings and jello’s and getting them all sugar free, but during my nutrition classes i learned why those were making me sick~ the sugar alcohol in them. apparently i am one of the many that cannot digest this correctly and decided the small difference in counts and the small amounts i have of it to get the regular ones of them

as far as snacks , i have not found my ideal one yet .
    i mean you can do the carrot and other veggie….boring right?
    sometimes i find just a cheese stick with do…. a little protein and it tastes good
    my problem is i like the crunch and salt of a snack, so i am really getting better at reading labels and learning carb gram counts vs. carb servings, and let me tell you it is like learning a whole new math.
    and i fought that tooth and nail in the beginning , but now it is becoming routine and somewhat shocking to find what you think is ok and low in counts to eat are actually huge in numbers.

i will share any goodies i find my dear…we are all in this thing called life together!

xoxox mary

Vilma
    August 22, 2012 at 7:26 am

I absolutely love Edemame (beans). These are mostly protein, and if you salt them a bit, you’ll get that little kick. I like using hot sauce with these beans. It’s a nice little snack. Take care, V.

Ichoosetolivestronger
    August 22, 2012 at 7:54 am

My favorite right now ..Kale Chips. They are an amazing taste sensation! You have to do a plan that works for YOU. I’ve tried them all it seems. ;). My trainer has recently put me on a low carb plan. Certain carbs allowed in the morning with protein and fruit…then after my morning strength training is meal 2…protein and fruit within 20 minutes. These combinations are important for muscle repair. Meal 3 – 6 contains 3 – 4 oz. protein, non starchy veggies and 1 healthy fat (fist full of almonds, walnuts or peanuts)…almond butter, peanut butter, butter, dressings, olive oil… He suggests to stay away from lowfat and non fat things…esp. Dressings and cottage cheese. They are loaded with calories and-or carbs to make it taste better. Meal 6 is right before I go to bed and meal one is when my feet hit the floor. It has to do with keeping your metabolism pumping as long as you can. 10 hours without food is not good.

Roasted cabbage is one of my favs. Last week I’ve posted recipes for the Kale and cabbage recipe was yesterday. I’m hoping to post more recipes as I test new recipes.

It’s always good to confuse your body. I’m not sure how long my trainer dude will have me on this plan but All I do is EAT. Exercise, plan and EAT….it is my life right now. Stay strong….you’ll get there.

Ichoosetolivestronger
      August 22, 2012 at 7:58 am

Forgot to add something important…to keep my metabolism going during the day…I have to eat at least every three hours. And he took me off carrots as a veggie. Too much sugar I suppose. Do what works for YOU.. I have shared just to give you some other ideas. Lower carb and whole,grain carbs ….it is so much healthier. White flour and sugar is what got me to 315 pounds.

August 25, 2012 at 2:44 am

I love kale chips. I ate them so much throughout the spring that I got tired of them, but they sound appealing again so I’ll pick up some kale this week. Great idea.

Tina
    August 22, 2012 at 8:35 am

Not a snack; but have you tried fajitas using lettuce cups instead of tortillas. Surprising filling with the sour cream and avocado on top and ‘feels’ like fajitas, tastes delish and no extra carbs.

August 25, 2012 at 2:45 am

I have not tried that, but I can tell you right now that I’m going to. I love the lettuce wraps at PF Changs, and I’m guessing this would be just as awesome.

Shannon
    August 22, 2012 at 11:28 am

I agree with Vilma, I <3 Edemame. I also like to buy the 100 calorie packs of raw almonds, keep a few hard bioled eggs in the fridge, and greek yogurt has become one of my BFFS.

August 25, 2012 at 2:46 am

I eat edamame like its going out of style. I buy the 150 packs at Sam’s Club, and I love them.

Amber
    August 22, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Do you eat beans on your diet? I do south beach and we can eat beans as much as we want. One snack recommended is Crispy roasted chickpeas
    I like having cucumber rounds with hummus.

August 25, 2012 at 2:46 am

Both of those suggestions sound fantastic!

Amanda
    August 22, 2012 at 12:21 pm

I have been on a pb & apples snack kick for awhile. I have that a couple days a week.

I’ve made a buffalo chicken dip with sauce, shredded chicken and greek yogurt. I use celery sticks as my dippers.

Plus, all the other goodies that folks have mentioned above. I’ve pinned several low-carb snacks that I want to try, but I haven’t tried them yet.

I’m feeling in a bit of a WW rut so I think low carb (but still following WW) is the way for me to go at the moment. We will see.

August 25, 2012 at 3:01 am

I have a recipe for lighter buffalo chicken dip, but I’ve never tried it. Perhaps I’ll do it now that it’s football season.

Lisa
    August 22, 2012 at 4:23 pm

Congrats on the great result at weigh in – I might look into this low carb idea as well as I am in a major rut and need to pull finger or I will be back where I started yet again!
    Keep up the inspiration
    Lisa in NZ

Ashley
    August 22, 2012 at 5:57 pm

Turkey Perky Jerky, 100 calories, 4 carbs, low sodium and high protein

RONALDA
    August 22, 2012 at 5:59 pm

popcorn is good but not the kind that you buy and microwave in the packets. I mean using the kernels and popping them. I have a Nordicware microwave popcorn popper and u don’t have to use oil or salt. u can add it if u like but only a bit.

Jello, fruits, yogurt, hard boiled eggs.

I also am looking at my meal plan and how best to make small but lasting changes. Having PCOS makes losing weight very hard but i have to try.

Will try harder to cut out processed carbs. tried before but it didn’t stick.

RONALDA
    August 22, 2012 at 6:00 pm

Also other snack ideas a stick of cheese, some peas (chick/garbanzo, red/kidney, black, or whichever one u like)

Heather
    August 22, 2012 at 8:10 pm

I like raw protein shakes by garden of life, like hummus, plain Greek yogurt,
    Earth balance coconut peanut butter.
    None are super low carb, but low carb and low sugar.

Great going Kenlie! You are off to a great start!

Wendy
    August 22, 2012 at 11:18 pm

Again conrats on the loss!
    Are you playing it by ear or following any guidelines?

August 25, 2012 at 3:02 am

I’m just trying to make healthier choices (most of the time.) I’m also snacking considerably less…

Grace @ Grace Dishes
    August 23, 2012 at 3:28 pm

I love low-fat plain yogurt with a tiny drizzle of honey. I add fresh fruit into it too to bulk up my fiber.

I skipped starchy carbs for dinner throughout my journey since I like to end my days on a light note.

Great job tinkering with what works for you!

Bella
    August 26, 2012 at 1:37 pm

Because of the food plan I’m on, I don’t really have snacks between meals, but when I was, I really liked having a wedge of Laughing Cow cheese with a handful of grape tomatoes, or some other veggie I love. It hits the spot between lunch and dinner, but didn’t make me feel so full that I couldn’t go workout.

I think you’ll find that cutting back on the carbs (or being more mindful of them) will really help with weight loss and the way that you feel. Good for you.