Healthy Eating weight loss

Challenging Myself This Week

Sunday afternoon I had a conversation with Aunt Janice in which I expressed my desire to jump start my weight-loss again, and she suggested the same thing that Leslie suggested last month.  She said I should cut out carbohydrates for a week and that it would yield great results so I’ve been giving it a try all week.

I’m not following any specific plan. I’m just eating lean protein, an ounce or so of nuts and leafy greens.  I am eating very few carbs, and the carbs I’m eating are healthy ones (not processed.)

I thought it would be terribly difficult, especially since I don’t spend much time at home, but it has been totally manageable.  I’ve been with The Suit a lot this week, and instead of going out like we normally would, we’ve made a conscious effort to eat at (his) home.  He makes the best eggs ever, and I think tonight’s dinner menu will include salmon and leafy greens.  He’s already in great shape, but like the rest of us, when he eats better he feels better so this has been good for both of us.

When I started this challenge Monday morning I knew I wanted to make it through the day, but I wasn’t sure how I would do it.  I’ve been taking it one step at a time, and that seems to be working.  My goal is to eat foods that are high in protein and low in carbs until Sunday (and beyond that, of course) at which point I’ll step on the scale and compare my weight to last week’s weigh-in.  I’m curious to see how the numbers differ, but I’m guessing that I’ll weigh less than I did last week.

I’ve had three solid workouts this week as well, and I’ll complete another one today before a meeting in the afternoon and seeing The Suit in the evening.

I know I can eat carbs and lose weight.  They’re even good for us sometimes, but being in control of what I’m eating again feels good.  Reaching my daily goals and being consistent feels good.

I’m watching my portions without obsessing over them, and I feel like I’m back in control.  That’s a feeling that I haven’t experienced in quite some time, but it’s a feeling I love more than most.  It makes me feel like I can win the battle within myself, and I can’t tell you how much hope I’ve found in making good choices once again.

Have you ever cut out carbs?   Do you pay attention to the amount you eat in a typical day?

sanumaria
    August 16, 2012 at 3:42 am

I haven’t been cutting carbs, but I do pay attention to what I eat. I write down the amount of calories (in and out) and follow them that way.

Fatty McFatPants
    August 16, 2012 at 5:21 am

I’ve never cut carbs completely out for more than a day or so, but I keep them at low levels (when I’m not binging my way through a box of macaroni and cheese, etc). I used to try to keep it to 30 grams or less per day, but I’ve learned that close tracking makes me get all obsessive and screwy. So now instead of counting things and worrying about how many baby carrots I ate or how many carbs were in that peach I just had, I’m just avoiding the major sources of carbs (potatoes, corn, bread, desserts, candies, etc.). I get the binge-y cravings sometimes, but it’s emotional rather than physical. The great thing about carb restriction is that I’m almost never hungry. 🙂

Mitzi Myers
    August 16, 2012 at 8:30 am

Cutting carbs does work, it takes discipline because I really feel there is an acutal withdrawal period after cutting them out. Needless to say, they hard work does pay off. Good luck, can’t wait to see your stats next week! Happy almost Friday!!!

Brooke
    August 16, 2012 at 8:35 am

I have several times, but I KNOW my body is addicted to them (well mentally at least) and I have the worst attitude when I take them out. I will seriously cut your head off for looking at me. But thats when I cut them out to extremes. I know carbs will be a part of the world and life, so I don’t (me, personally) think its very long term realistic to cut them out to extremes and a lot more nutrition experts are starting to think the same about some of these more extreme diets that focus on cutting out parts of the food system. But I agree that carbs can really help with weightloss one way or another.

I’ve been at a stalemate for 9 months. Goal was 25lbs in a year (thats hard for me) and I lost 5lbs the first 2 months and have maintained ever since. I was searching for a way to change things up to get my bodies attention. Exercise, changing my WW points……..anything.

A friend told me about an infomercial diet she ordered and tried. Now, she said she was going back to WW, but it did help her lose weight, but it was expensive for what it was. So, she gave me a cheat sheet and a short rundown of it.

There were rules on the program that I had tried before and failed at, but you know what was interesting to me was the “formula” they had. Something that I’m sure most weight losers are like…….”what, thats old news.” But to me at that moment it was a click. It would help me with two of my biggest faults, portion and types of food. I have NEVER liked the strict diets that dictate too much of what I eat, something in my mental state rebels and I feel like I’m 10 again, something about the control. But that’s another story.

This plan is the old 6 meals a day thing, but it gives you portions and a structure to what you eat at each meal. And you can have carbs, but complex ones in a certain serving amount.

Kinda looks like this:

2 oz of protein
    1/2 c of a carb or fruit

2 oz of protein
    1 c of fruit

2 oz of protein
    1/2 c of carb
    1 c veggies

And it goes on. Anyway, I had to up the protein amount b/c I would never get all my WW points in if I didn’t, but so far it seems to be working. I guess maybe I needed a little bit of direction to help me, but not restriction.

I went on vacation about 2 weeks ago…….I’m not proud to say I gained 7lbs in a week. But the day I got back I went straight back to eating this way and my WW again and I lost 8lbs that week. I’m working on losing another lb this week. I won’t make my 25lb goal at this rate, but it feels good to be in control again, control with success, that is.

Good Luck

Liz
    August 16, 2012 at 9:59 am

“[B]eing in control of what I’m eating again feels good.” Kenlie, you speak the truth!! Your blog is inspiring, as is your bravery in sharing your journey with all of us.

Kat
    August 16, 2012 at 11:11 am

Read Wheat Belly by Dr William Davis. It will really make you think about what you eat. I don’t eat wheat but can eat meat, veggies, fruit, seeds and nuts without tracking religiously. I don’t have intense hunger pangs between meals which is a huge accomplishment for me. It is really worth reading.

Fatty McFatPants
      August 17, 2012 at 6:16 am

I just read “Wheat Belly” last night! 🙂 It was interesting, although really the only new thing I learned was about einkorn wheat and how different modern wheat is. But I read a lot. 🙂 If you like books like that, you might try reading “The Protein Power LifePlan” – the name is soooo cheesy, but it’s got a lot of great info in it. 🙂

Heather
    August 16, 2012 at 11:12 am

I have tried restricting carbs and for me, focusing more on upping protein and fiber has seemed to do the (mental) trick. I also just try to eat bread only a few times a week and avoid pasta all together because of issues with portion control. If I eat foods high in fiber and protein (I am a lacto ovo vegetarian) I honestly do not think about the carbs. I stay fuller longer and don’t have the sweet cravings I used to have when consuming carbs above 150 grams a day on a 1200 calorie diet. That being said, I am slowly starting get the last 10-15 pounds off.

You go girl! I sense some pep in your step and am rooting you on!

Peg
    August 16, 2012 at 12:40 pm

I was diagnosed with high cholesterol and pre-diabetes back in May. It was the push I needed to stop eating flour, sugar and processed carbs. I eat often, but my plate is now 3/4 vegetables and a small portion of lean protein. I eat Greek yogurt for breakfast and lunch is usually a salad with chicken, dried cranberries, apples, and a tbl of blue cheese. I snack on fruit and veggies with laughing cow cheese wedges. Since I changed my eating habits I’ve lost 35 lbs and feel great. Carbs are important, but you need to eat the right kind of carbs.

Good luck!

Heather B
    August 16, 2012 at 2:03 pm

I have cut “unhealthy” carbs many times & it does work & can work long term if you stick with it!!! I have had so many people up in arms when I do it because they think I am taking out all of them but they are also the ones that don’t realize vegetables have carbs! lol! I try hard not to eat unhealthy ones but sometimes I do! I ALWAYS feel so much better after a couple of days when I eat lower carb! My body doesn’t feel as toxic!!! I am also trying my best to NOT eat sugar & most definitely not partially hydrogenated anything! I learned in A&P2 this summer that your body keeps 90% of anything partially hydrogenated because it doesn’t know how to metabolize it! So now I’m a label reader & have stopped buying some of my favorite thing because of this! But oh well! Better not to buy than to hold onto it forever!!!!!

Enz
    August 16, 2012 at 4:25 pm

I just finished Whole30. Best thing I’ve done in terms of eating – EVER!!

Erin A
    August 16, 2012 at 4:31 pm

The one time I truly stuck to a low carb including no flour, no sugar, no fruit… I lost 14 lbs in two weeks. But I was also running 4 miles most days. Ive tried
    to do it again but I just can’t seem to stick to it! I think the hardest part at first in no fruit

Natasha
    August 16, 2012 at 5:04 pm

I’m with Kat. I would also suggest It Starts with Food by Melissa and Dallas Hartwig. In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan is also a really good resource. Personally, I’ve been focusing on removing processed food from my diet. It’s only been a week and I already feel a lot better.

Erin
    August 16, 2012 at 5:14 pm

After my surgery, I cut out carbs for 2 years (well, what people typically think of as carbs – bread, rice, pasta, potatoes). You have to have SOME carbs for your body to function so my doctor recommends 2 servings or fruit a day. I usually try to keep my carbs under 100g.

All that changed when I got pregnant…now I get the joy of cutting out carbs again once the baby comes. I’m dreading that!

Lisa
    August 16, 2012 at 9:18 pm

I’ve never had success with completely cutting carbs, but I’ve been conscious about how many I eat. And, what kinds I eat. I need more will power with it though. I’m having to start over again though. You’re right; “but being in control of what I’m eating again feels good.”

letty
    August 17, 2012 at 12:46 am

Good for u for being in control again….carbs are energy so I try & only have healthy carbs early in the day when I actually need them

Deb
    August 17, 2012 at 2:52 am

For a while I did this thing where I didn’t eat any breads/grains/pasta one day a week. It did make some instant drops in the scale, and my weekly losses were better, but it was also tough because I found myself having to eat foods I don’t care for so much to do it.

I may try it again in the future, but not right now.

Janet
    August 17, 2012 at 4:36 am

Hi Kenlie,

I have not tried cutting carbs entirely so far, I have bread every other day but haven’t had potatoes, pasta or rice in ages actually but the good thing is, I am not even craving those things. Since I started having oats in the mornings, the cravings became like non existant. And when I am craving something I usually look for alternatives, for instance, I made a cauliflower pizza a couple of weeks ago, where the crust is made from cauliflower. It was really good.
    I might have a look into reducing my carbs a little more. Keep it up Kenlie!

Caron
    August 17, 2012 at 11:14 am

Cutting out empty carbs is a great way to retrain your taste buds to like real food again. It works for me. 🙂

Johanna
    August 17, 2012 at 11:52 am

I once cut carbs probably the unhealthy way! Like Brooke said it made me a total B**CH! Apparently carbs increase your serotonin which makes you “happy”. I think that the idea of cutting it for one week to jump start is probably a great idea because I definitely lost a lot of weight FAST but the problem for me was that I don’t do “diets” well. I felt deprived and then binged on carbs etc. after and gained all my weight back. My new philosophy is not to be on a diet but to eat healthy. I try not to eat a ton of carbs after lunch (in fact I heard you should eat all your carbs before the afternoon). I don’t eat processed carbs but instead stick with whole grains. I just think that for me personally cutting carbs will make me lose weight but it won’t make me keep it off and the second one is more important. Our muscles do need carbs they are important we just don’t want to overdo it. I tried the South Beach thing and its interesting because it gives you phases and you slowly reintroduce the carbs and natural sugars after your body basically gets over craving them. I just always want to focus on what I mentally can handle that is a lifelong eating habit and not some weekly or monthly “meal plan”. I also want to focus on what is healthiest for my body and not just on what is going to make me lose weight quickly. Let us know how things go and if you felt like it was beneficial and that you didn’t want carbs all the next week!!! LOVE YOUR BLOG you inspire! 🙂

Laina
    August 17, 2012 at 2:22 pm

I eat very few processed carbs… But I eat plenty of carb rich veggies and fruit. I focus on a balanced diet, and only eat what I love…so I look forward to each day!

Great job…keep up the great work!

Laina

Patty
    August 17, 2012 at 4:38 pm

I think it’s a great idea. Carbs are by far the hardest for me to give up. I love my rice and bread!!! Though I’ve given up all sugar in my coffee as a tiny step towards embracing paleo. Breads are the next item up to cut out. Needs to be slow or I’ll need to be hooked up to a carb IV…kidding! Sort of 🙂

Julia
    August 18, 2012 at 9:28 pm

I have always had a hard time losing weight…until I cut out carbs. It was hard at first but it’s been really great and works for me. I’ve been following the ‘paleo diet’ and have felt so good on it!….and the weight is definitely coming off too. 🙂 Way to give it a try- I’m certain you will see a loss on the scale this week.

Maria in NJ
    August 19, 2012 at 4:13 pm

Hey Kenz…I’m telling ya it changed my life!!

Bella
    August 19, 2012 at 4:49 pm

I’ve definitely cut out/down on carbs, and it is a great way to lose weight and just feel ‘lighter.’ I’ve gotten away from eating low carb this summer, but I think I may be due for a low carb week or two right about now.

I can’t wait to see what your results are, comparing the two weeks.

Joy
    August 19, 2012 at 8:21 pm

GOOD LUCK!! low carb definitely works. I did it for 18 months between 2003-2004 with the result being a loss of 126 lbs. I kept those pounds off even after reintroducing carbs into my diet (sensibly). I did not count calories or watch portions. I ate low carb foods – meat, eggs, cheese, salad, green veggies, ranch and bleu cheese dressing until my heart was content. Deviled eggs, scrambled eggs, egg casseroles, fried eggs, poached eggs – green eggs and ham LOL 🙂 You can do this girl, go for it!!