Back On the Grid

It has been more than a week since I’ve been able to post, and now we know that it takes an act of God to keep me from blogging.

As you may know, Hurricane Isaac made his way into my life last week, leaving my family and me without power for seven days.  In addition to ruining my week, Isaac left me without amenities that we often take for granted.

We had no electricity because the generator stopped working only four hours into the storm.  I didn’t have access to the internet, nor could I make phone calls, tweet, etc.  (Who knew I could survive without social media?!)

Stores were closed most of last week, and it’s still hard to find fresh produce and cold items which is strange.  It was hard to motivate myself to workout too when it was nearly 100 degrees and humid in the house, but I did some interval training over the weekend.

There was some property damage, but we’re all okay.  The air conditioner should work again later today at which point life should start getting back to normal. I am exhausted and so tired of being hot, but I’m glad the worst is over.

I have errands to run, responsibilities to fulfill and a lot of work to catch up on over the next few days.  School was cancelled last week so I started yesterday, and I’m glad to be getting back into the groove.  My professors are awesome so far!

I want to thank those of you who took time to send messages and well wishes throughout the storm.  Though I couldn’t see the messages immediately, seeing them when I finally did made me feel warm and fuzzy.  It means so much to me to know that many of you care about me as much as I care about you.

Have you ever been through a hurricane?  Have you ever experienced a situation that left you disconnected from the outside world for a week?  How did you cope?

becca
    September 6, 2012 at 6:53 am

glad to see you back and sorry about all the damage from Isaac we were lucky he barely touch us where i live in FL

September 6, 2012 at 8:20 pm

I really thought it was going to hit Florida, but I was so wrong. The media was too. Yikes. I’m just glad it’s over.

Tammy
    September 6, 2012 at 7:04 am

I’m glad you are back and that your family is safe. We had a severe ice storm one February and were without power for 5 days. My parents and my sister lived in the same town, and their power came back on in a day, but not us. Luckily, we had a fireplace, a gas hot water heater, and a kerosene space heater. It was strange, though, because you don’t realize how much you take for granted. My mom was doing our laundry at her house, and we ate takeout every night because we had no food in the refrigerator!

September 6, 2012 at 8:21 pm

I’ve been through ice storms, but it’s been a few years. We had the opposite problem with the heat…

Steelers6
    September 6, 2012 at 7:12 am

Glad you are safe, & you sound pretty
    upbeat after all that! I just looked for any
    info on you last night-was beginning to
    get concerned.
    Finding your groove again will feel good.
    Hugs,
    Chrissy

September 6, 2012 at 8:22 pm

Oh, I have been cranky, but I’ve been so out of touch with social media that you missed it. Lucky you, huh? 🙂

Anna Fesmire
    September 6, 2012 at 8:27 am

Kenlie,
    I’m glad you made it through the storm! It was my first hurricane in New Orleans and I insisted on staying instead of evacuating to southwest Mississippi like my parents had begged. I am so glad I stayed. I was eager to practice some survival skills and creative thinking. Where I rode out the storm lost power went off early Tuesday evening and stayed out there until Sunday. I got electic back at my house uptown Saturday. Plus, somehow lost 4 lbs during the week off. The sad thing was how I gained two back AFTER it was restored! Made me really do some prioritizing. I’d still love to go for a walk sometime. Name the park, or neighborhood and I’m down! Happy Healthy!

September 6, 2012 at 8:25 pm

You were here too? Wow..

We should definitely get together. I’m up for a walk or a bike ride, etc.

Let’s chat on FB.

Dr. Jennifer
    September 6, 2012 at 9:19 am

I hear you, and I’m sending good thoughts your way! I was living close to the epicenter of a severe earthquake in Northridge in 1994. No electricity or water for a couple of days and no gas for a week. Lots of damage and stress. The earthquake happened during early morning hours so it was really tense because it was pitch black, without street lights, and it was so bad I figured that if we weren’t the epicenter, Los Angeles was probably destroyed. It sucked, but I survived. It was sort of post-apocalyptic: a lot of supermarkets weren’t open or were trashed, and the ones that were open had half-stocked shelves. I have this vague memory that trucks couldn’t get through to deliver supplies and that lots of places lost electricity for many days, but I don’t know if I’m remembering correctly, 18 years later. For the next couple of months I had a weird after-effect: whenever I took a shower, I could swear I felt an earthquake happening. The silver lining to natural disasters is that if you make it through, you can develop a sense that you can survive anything.

September 6, 2012 at 8:27 pm

That’s a great point, as always. I do feel like I can survive so much more than I realized, and it makes me grateful that I don’t have to often.

Tammy
    September 6, 2012 at 9:22 am

I’m glad that you’re back & that you’re OK!!

September 6, 2012 at 8:27 pm

Thanks, Tammy.

RONALDA
    September 6, 2012 at 10:32 am

I live in Jamaica so every year we have hurricanes coming near us causing a lot of rain and so on. Once with a direct hit, I didn’t have power for 2 weeks or was it 3? was a long time. The worst is being without water. I’d prefer light to be gone than water trust me. Funny how we don’t know ow much we appreciate some things until its gone, except of course for weight/fat ^_^. We prepare for hurricane every year though.

Glad you are ok and back to blogging.

suzanne
    September 6, 2012 at 10:42 am

I’m so glad your o.k!! I can’t imagine going through that.

Robby
    September 6, 2012 at 11:03 am

In 1986, Hurricane Gloria tore apart NY/Long Island. My house’s basement flooded, the yeard was under inches of water, the power was off, and a tree was about to fall on my house. Someone had the stupid idea of letting my dad use a chainsaw and he cut his ring finger off (his wedding ring prevented it from being completely severed). It’s all reattached though, but I think that’s the worst I’ve experienced.

In 2003, Hurricane Isabel created some massive flooding in the DC Metro area. The restaurant where i was working had about 3′ of water in it — and i was out of a job until the health inspector signed off on the restaurant. All the bottles of alcohol had to be thrown out (**tears**) and everything needed to be washed/sanitized.

I agree with the comments above — things like this happen and you start to become thankful of the things you take for granted — potable water, being able to contact your family, sleeping in your own bed, etc.

Liana
    September 6, 2012 at 11:44 am

7 days without power! I can’t even imagine. I’m glad all is well!

Erika
    September 6, 2012 at 12:09 pm

Glad to see you’re alright! I was seeing updates from family members down in South Louisiana about how bad it was getting– especially down in Plaquemines and Tammany.

I remember going through a hurricane back in high school where I was out of school for two weeks without any power. I just remember reading A LOT of books, burning a lot of candles (we never had a generator), and spending time at friends houses who did have power. Luckily Isaac wasn’t too bad to me up here. I only lost power for a few hours. Hope that A/C starts blowing for ya!

annamarie
    September 6, 2012 at 2:07 pm

Thank goodness that you and your family are safe. It sucks though not having the necessities and knowing how grateful we become once they are gone. I hope that things get back to normal for you quickly.

Valerie (seattlerunnergirl)
    September 6, 2012 at 3:43 pm

So glad you are okay! The closest thing I’ve been through was our big Seattle earthquake, which was really nothing compared to your experience. Hope things get back to normal quickly!

Liz
    September 6, 2012 at 5:59 pm

Glad you’re back and that you’re okay!

Ann
    September 6, 2012 at 9:58 pm

Glad you came thru pretty unscathed. We don’t have hurricanes here, but the rain eventually blew up here & ruined my first 3 mile run :(. We lose power intermittently due to ice storms though & one yr we had to take in Craig’s parents because their power was out for a wk @ Xmas! So on Xmas morning, my mom, who was one of the only ones left with power, had her furnace go out. Imagine the OT on that bill! Our furnace went out during the blizzard or ’78 as well.

Lindsay
    September 7, 2012 at 6:26 am

Usually a reader not a commenter. Sorry to hear about your week. Glad there is minimal damage and everyone is safe. I to was affected by issac. While it was still in the carribean my sister and I went to our mothers in key west Florida for a planned 3 days. We ended up there for 7 due to canceled flights, no rental cars and such. My main concern was my husband was in Tampa Florida where we live. I was in the keys and could not help him prepare. Very frustrating and I did lots of stress eating. Being in a house with hurricane shutters on for days somehow drove me to eat. We where lucky both in the keys and in Tampa.