Shopping

Just A Little Wish List

You may have noticed in previous posts that I’m excited to move into my new apartment.  My move-in date is less than a month away, and I have so much to do to be ready!  I need literally everything for my living room, bedroom and bathroom.

Here’s a preview of the model apartment.  My apartment is new and has all of the same appliance and finishes, and I can’t wait to give it my personal touch.

My kitchen will in pretty good shape.  All I need to complete it is a set of dishes, glasses and knives, but I need everything else for every other room so I’m going to do my best to start finding the right things now.  It seems I’m very particular, but that’s one of the benefits of living alone.  I can decorate everything the way I want to.

It takes time and money and patience to turn a place into a home, but I’m really looking forward to getting started.  I’m sure I’ll depend on places like Ikea, Target, Pier One, World Market and Hobby Lobby to personalize my space in an affordable way.  As you know, my blog allows me to think so I’ve decided to make some lists of what I need and want so I can prioritize.  Let’s start with my most pressing needs:

• bed and mattress – I found a gray upholstered bed at World Market that I like, and it should match nicely with the Avington furniture that I like at Target.  I’ve owned pieces from that line before, and they’re fantastic.  They’re inexpensive, durable and pretty.
  • TV and stand – I suppose I’ll need a TV to DVR my favorite shows and watch the news.
  • Dining table – I’ll probably get a small table for two since I’ll be living alone.
Obviously, I’ll need a lot of other things as well so I’ve begun compiling a list of things that I need/want like this bed stand from Target.  I’ve owned furniture from this collection before so I already know I like it.  It would be fun to have one on each side of my bed (you know, when I have a bed.)
Or maybe this one:
I’m in love with this queen bed from World Market, and it’s on super sale right now!  If I own it I’ll probably use some kind of inner-spring mattress because I think it might be cuter that way.  I’ll also be a bit more creative with the bedding, but you get the idea.
I like this chair from Target too, and I think it will match the sofa that I like.  I’ve never owned a chair with such bold colors, but I kind of like it so I might try to snag it if it goes on sale again soon.  The chair is really big and sturdy, and it comes in several styles so maybe I’ll do something with less flare.  Maybe not. 😉
I’m really diggin’ this chair too, and it should be easy to match with a sofa. I guess I want a bold look in my living room.  Why not?
How cute is the matching ottoman?

And I just have to say that my life would be better if I owned this beautiful Scrabble game from Restoration Hardware.  It’s ridiculous and totally necessary, but I’ve wanted it for years.  If you know me, you know that I love Scrabble!  This 17-pound board was clearly made for me, and I must own it eventually.  I have other priorities first though, like having a bed and stuff.

What do you think is the most important piece of furniture in your home?  What would you buy first if you had to buy everything?

Nicci
    September 13, 2012 at 2:00 am

Those chairs and the ottoman are really fab! I would buy the bed first, then the side tables, then a good couch and tv and then go from there. Also i would suggest you rather buy a four seat dining table, because a two seater will get to small fast.

September 13, 2012 at 7:22 pm

I think those are things that I need all at once. You’re so right. The size of the table will just depend on the space when I have other things in it. I’ve never had a table that’s bigger for two when I lived alone.

Krissy
    September 13, 2012 at 2:36 am

What a beautiful apartment! The wood floor and all the windows are beautiful! And, those kitchen appliances look great!

AIrlie
    September 13, 2012 at 7:08 am

Wow! Gorgeous place! I love your taste in furniture! Get a great bed! Best investment ever!!!!!!!

September 13, 2012 at 7:23 pm

A great bed is essential. True. =)

Lori Lynn
    September 13, 2012 at 7:45 am

The first “real” piece of furniture I want to buy is a piano. I’ve always lived in apt/duplexes, so I’ve never been able to have one. (Well, I suppose I could, but I’m sure my neighbors wouldn’t always be too happy with me, and then there’s transporting it… LOL).

September 13, 2012 at 7:25 pm

I’d love to own a piano someday. I suppose I’d need a house first, or a penthouse. 😉

Kyra
    September 13, 2012 at 7:46 am

What a fabulous apartment! Look at the windows! Let’s see, the most important piece of furniture is the bed. I figure worst case scenario, at least you can sleep! I never got to live on my own, but I can imagine how wonderful this will be for you! (Oh and those side tables? That open space on the bottom of the one can be neat for displaying stuff, but can also be a MAJOR dust trap.)

September 13, 2012 at 7:26 pm

I’m guessing that if I get the open one I’ll place books there. I’ll have to dust well every week. hehe

Patty
    September 13, 2012 at 9:06 am

The apartment looks great! I bet you didn’t know that I would love to live in NOLA. I’ve been there 3 times and just love the city. Someday maybe!

I love all the item you’ve picked out. Your style is great. If there is a Raymour & Flanigan by you check it out. They have similar items like you’ve listed here. I bought my bed first when I moved into my new apartment and the bedroom was the first thing I set up. Lived like that for two weeks until I settled on couches and finally the big tv! Enjoy all the fun of putting your home together.

RegRache
      September 13, 2012 at 9:17 am

i totally want to move now just to re-decorate 😉

i’ve been in my apt a little over a year and signed the lease with only my clothes, tv and a few kitchen items. got a bed first and sat on a cushion in my living room for 3 months until i found the perfect couch. sadly my dog ruined it but that’s another story.

have fun making yourself cozy…when it finally feels like home, it’s the BEST!!!

Tracey
    September 13, 2012 at 10:05 am

Hi. Don’t forget to check out TJMaxx/Homegoods. I have gotten tons of furniture, rugs, lamps and much more from them. I would buy a bed first and then a lounge chair. If you get the black nightstand, go with the drawers. More places to hide stuff.

Tracey
    September 13, 2012 at 10:06 am

The apartment is great! Lucky you.

Shannon
    September 13, 2012 at 11:33 am

Gorgeous apartment! It was so empowering when I had my first place all to myself. Congrats! That being said…bed would be my first piece of importance. When it comes to living room/dining/etc…rooms always look VERY big when they are empty…I would suggest being able to get some basic measurements before purchases like sofas/chairs.

My first apartment my living room set BARELY fit once it was in place and the movers had to bring a second couch because the first got damaged trying to get it in the door. HA

Karen Walcott
    September 13, 2012 at 4:48 pm

I love the living room in your new apartment. I love the hardwood floors and all the light coming in. It’s beautiful. Happy moving!!

Abigail
    September 13, 2012 at 6:44 pm

That scrabble board is so pretty, you could display it on a narrow shelf as art, and have all the pieces in a decorative wooden box. All of your choices are great just be careful with those bold prints, they kind of lock you into a color scheme. You might want to try a recoverable chair like on from target. Good luck with the move!

Abigail
    September 13, 2012 at 6:45 pm

Sorry I meant Ikea, DOH!

Jess from Team Awesome
    September 13, 2012 at 11:32 pm

Your new apartment looks gorgeous! Wow!

I would do the 3 drawer night stand, or if you did the 1 drawer, you could get a brightly colored fabric drawer for the bottom half, that would be cute. I’m not normally a bold color person either but I love those chairs!

Julie