Emotions Lifestyle weight loss

Let’s Not Call This A “Weight-Loss” Blog Anymore

I spent a lot of time thinking about my blog during the week and a half that I couldn’t access it thanks to Hurricane Isaac.  In some ways I missed it, but it was also a relief to have a break.  I love blogging, but I don’t always love everything that comes with it.

It’s a strange feeling to know that people are out there and that some of them make a habit out of reading the things I write here.  It makes me feel good, and it’s also humbling.

My life has been filled with ups and downs (many of which I have discussed in great detail here.)  I’ve shared my feelings on my health and goals, my struggles and my overwhelming desire to figure out how to win my personal battle against obesity.  I have opened up about mistakes I’ve made, and I’ve discussed dating and my desire to be loved.

I started this blog because I wanted and needed to lose weight, and it has been an integral tool in helping me keep off what I’ve lost.  It also make me keenly aware that I have a long way to go.

It has allowed me to find my voice and share it with the world, and it has helped me understand that it’s okay to be who I am.

In many ways my blog is my home.  It has been a part of my life through good and bad.  It has helped me mend my heart when it felt broken, and it has allowed me to seek and accept encouragement from people (many of whom understand what my journey is like.)

I’m thankful for my blog because in spite of the nasty trolls it brings people into my world that I wouldn’t know otherwise.  It allows me to connect with people from all walks of life who appreciate me as much as I appreciate them.

I want to love myself and live my best life, but I can hardly call my blog a “weight-loss” blog.  I stopped calling it that several months ago, and recently I’ve considered changing its name.  I decided against it because I love the name, and the tagline sums up who I am (err, at least who I’m trying to be.)

Losing weight is still my goal, and I’m trying to make it my biggest priority again.  Just don’t be surprised if you see a new mix of posts soon.  I’m going to allow myself to talk about what I like, and if it interests you, great.  I hope you’ll stick around and join the conversation.  If not, I hope you’ll accept that my ultimate goal is to find inner joy.

I like being with friends, fitness and sitcoms like Drop Dead Diva and White Collar.  I also like crafting and nail polish and riding my bike.  Music is important to me too.

Weight-loss will always matter to me because it’s my life’s biggest challenge, but I’m going to start sharing more of myself because happiness is about a lot more than my weight.

I strive to be myself here so why not keep it real?  If you look at the “Weigh-ins” page at the top of my blog, you’ll see that I’ve decided to update my weigh-ins when the scale starts moving again.  I write my workouts on my wall calendar, but I’ll try to make an effort to update them more often here too.

My life is filled with things that make it interesting (at least to me) so I’m going to enjoy it, take it a day at a time and see what happens from there.  Maybe if I take off some of this self-imposed pressure I’ll start seeing results I like again.

Does your blog evolve with you, or does it help you stay on track?

Melissa (@TheDailyMel)
    September 11, 2012 at 1:15 am

My blog has definitely evolved. I used to maintain two separate blogs — one for my weight loss journey and one for everything else. After I made the decision to go back to school, I ended up combining them into a single blog because it was just too much work to maintain two blogs, work full-time, and go to school full-time. Even though I still don’t have as much time for blogging as I would like, it’s been deciding refreshing having everything in a single place. I don’t really consider my blog a weight loss blog anymore either even though my weight loss journey makes up a large portion of my content. I prefer to think of it as a lifestyle blog because it covers any and everything that interests me.

September 11, 2012 at 1:22 am

I really like how you do things, Mel.

Like you, I have so many interests, and I want to talk about them all. Weight-loss needs to be on the forefront, but how many times can I possibly say that I have to try harder or differently?

tree peters
    September 11, 2012 at 1:19 am

I think this is a great idea and I look forward to catching up with you again.
    Do what feels right to you and for you.
    In a big way I think it’s even better to write about life with weight loss being a part of it.
    For so many of us it’s too big in our heads anyway. I know I put off so much of my life because of the “losing weight” thing that had to be done first.
    But we exist at the same time as we’re losing weight and getting fit.
    Let’s hear about YOU.
    hugs

September 11, 2012 at 1:27 am

It has gotten so big in my head that it feels almost impossible. I know I need to wrap my head around it, but I’m ready to talk about other things…

Mike
    September 11, 2012 at 2:00 am

I’m looking forward to reading more. Maybe not so much about crafting and Nail Polish, but you never know…… 😉

It’s good to write about things that interest you, I may well take a leaf out of your book, as it might get me back into the regular writing habit. I’d have to wait though as at the moment, the only thing I’d write about is my relatively recent discovery of Big Bang Theory – Just started season 3 and I don’t know why I did not have this in my life before now!!

September 11, 2012 at 2:03 am

Big Bang Theory is one of my favorite shows. They’re so dry and witty and hilarious. Someday I need to own every season on DVD. Enjoy!

sanumaria
    September 11, 2012 at 2:07 am

I have two separate blogs, other one for workouts/getting fit, and another one for other stuff. The workout blog is in English and the other one is in Finnish. I started blogging around 2006 and my blog has evolved during this time. At first it was about “what to do after graduation” then it was more or less about being single and complaining about it (and whining about men who can be idiots) and trying to see the funny side of being alone, and today it’s more about just me, my life and things I want to write about. Usually it’s complaining 😀 About gym clothes, people who don’t know how to behave etc etc.

Vicki
    September 11, 2012 at 4:42 am

Hi Kenlie,

I love reading your blog because I love reading what you write. I don’t read it because it is/was a weight loss blog. I first stumbled across your blog because of that but now I’m somewhat ‘invested’ in your life, and enjoy reading about you, your thoughts and opinions. I’ll definitely be sticking with you.

On a slightly different note, would love to hear about must do’s for New Orleans because I’m visiting in October.

All the best

Chris
    September 11, 2012 at 6:22 am

Nice. I think it’s important to just write about whatever hits you at the moment. Many of the posts on my blog are not about fitness or whatever, they are about drawing and movies and superheroes and stuff. I think it makes for a more well rounded experience anyways. I look forward to getting to know more things and the nonsensical adventures that are sure to ensue!

Brandy
    September 11, 2012 at 6:51 am

My blogging has definitely evolved. My original blog (which still exists but I rarely post on) revolved around infertility. Now that I have two children (after a long fight) it doesn’t make much sense to stay on the infertility topic. It went on to talking about my kids but it was something I didn’t share with family or friends, it was just out there as an anonymous place on the web. Now I have a blog that talks about my life, family, school, church, pretty much everything, and it’s 100% me. I share it on my Facebook and it’s a public place, which I like. I think blogs are like the rest of life, ever evolving. 🙂

Tammy
    September 11, 2012 at 7:11 am

My blog started when I was losing weight — after much encouragement from you! Then, I stopped losing and starting going in the other direction, so it became more of a general interest blog. Now, I’m losing again, so weight loss is again the focus. I miss being able to post cute clothes pictures because while I buy nice things, I don’t like how I look in pictures right now. I still have a small following because I’ve been afraid to make the blog too public. I post links on Twitter because none of my friends are there, but I haven’t posted on Facebook. I want people to read, but yet, I’m afraid that people will read – I need to figure out how to get past that little phobia.

I’m just glad that you are going to continue blogging. You are an inspiration to many people!

Tracy
    September 11, 2012 at 7:23 am

I think that is great Kenlie….always like to meet people who do share the same interest as me, that is above and beyond losing weight….so good luck with the new changes coming your way, and will still continue along for the ride….

Tracy from Bama

Patty
    September 11, 2012 at 8:00 am

I think its a great idea! I have had several blogs over the years because there are some times I’ve walked away from it completely and then the urge to write returns. So I just go for it.

Looking forward to your posts and seeing you at FitBloggin!!!! 🙂

mary
    September 11, 2012 at 8:01 am

i have two blogs , one for more of my art work and one for more “me” that is the sea salt and sparkly shoes one. i have actually had friends email me from posts on the other one and chew me out for forming my own opinion on things.
    so everything does evolve…be it for necessity or naturally.
    i look at my blogs as lifestyles now.

Lisa
    September 11, 2012 at 2:25 pm

A healthy life is balanced in all things. My blog has evolved a lot too. It started as a food blog, recording all my meals and talking about weight loss. It was briefly a running blog. Over the years it’s become more of a lifestyle blog. I talk about everything!

Alissa
    September 11, 2012 at 4:29 pm

I’ve felt like my blog has evolved over the past year or so, too. I want to make it more of a lifestyle blog. I feel more free to talk about anything I want, but health and weight loss are still probably my main focus. For now. I know exactly how you feel!

Anne in San Diego
    September 11, 2012 at 6:38 pm

Kenlie, like the others, I believe your blog should evolve with you as YOU evolve. Once letting go of weight (and the reasons for it) gets you to a healthy size, the next step is to work on what it will take for you to continue making choices that will keep you feeling healthy, and stronger every day. Who knows? you could even evolve into a marathoner blog! As long as it’s your voice, you should feel the right to express yourself exactly as you are in your life, with the challenges at each step of your journey. Brava!

Tracy @ My Tiny Tank.net
    September 11, 2012 at 7:14 pm

My blog has evolved with me. I love that it has been a tool for me. It has allowed me to open up and talk about those things that have held me back from reaching my goals. The bonus is that my followers have lifted me up. They leave my comments and inspiration. They relate to me and they tell me this and then I don’t feel like I’m doing this on my own. What I’ve learned is that it’s not always about the scale or the weight. But in fact it’s about putting myself first. Making the right choices. I know my blog will change as I change. As I get closer to my goal. As I climb my mountain. Funny thing is… There will always be another mountain and therefore my blog will always be my outlet.

Robyn Kichko
    September 12, 2012 at 10:58 pm

I have a blog that chronicles my life as a martial artist (http://mantismantle.blogspot.ca/ , in case your interested). At first it was just about kung fu and the trials and tribulations of pushing myself hard all the time. I talked about injuries and how to continue training without making them worse and how to be patient with myself and let them heal. As I have grown as a martial artist, I have learned that it is about more that kicking and punching. It is about the foot print that I am leaving in this world and the leadership that I use to encourage others to take charge of their actions and treat everyone that they encounter with dignity and respect. It is a lifestyle that I have embraced that includes striving for mastery everyday in everything that I do, including my job, my fitness, my food intake and my kung fu training. So my blog is now about me and my journey to attain mastery in everything that I do.
    I thoroughly enjoy reading your blog and what you chose to share. It makes me laugh, cry and sometimes inspect my own motives. I love it, keep being you. 🙂

Finding Balance
    March 22, 2013 at 5:29 pm

[…] can focus on the things that I originally talked about here.  In September, I wrote a post called “Let’s Not Call This A Weight-Loss Blog Anymore” because I got tired of trying and failing, but guess what, folks.  Not facing my battles […]

Finding Balance | Fatloss Factor Results