Today

Today I will step on the scale to see where I stand after a week of eating processed junk food during the hurricane.  I will exercise.   I will also make healthy choices, and I will remind myself that giving up is not an option.

Sometimes I have to remind myself that quitting is not an option, and right now I have to remind myself to fight the mindless cravings, the feelings of lethargy and defeat…I have the power to be successful, and I’m claiming it today.

How do you motivate yourself to move forward when you feel like you have failed yourself?  How do you convince yourself to try again?

10 thoughts on “Today

1. Ryan

One of the things that has changed for me recently, is that I see “slip ups” (i.e. emotional overeating, etc.) from a different perspective. In the past, it was something where I compared it to “my routine”, so if I made a slip up, it meant I was off plan, I was messing up, etc.

However, now I see those moments as an opportunity to show I can see the big picture, that I am gentle/kind to myself, that instead of being upset by it, I can take it in stride. I see those moments as a chance to say to myself “I’m not going to play that mind game with myself”. I think it’s actually the easiest thing for me to beat myself up… It’s autopilot…

For me, this last year has shown me that my mind WANTS to create mental drama, it wants to take that moment and compare it to how I’m doing, and fit it in with how it will affect this, and how it relates to that, etc. The real skill I’m learning is to just, simply, not let it bother me, to feel good that I know where I need to go, what I need to do, and trying to be “perfect” is just another cognitive distortion that I’ve been prone to all my life, and I’m changing…

I think I’m just getting older and starting to understand that there’s a wiser part of me that needs to be nurtured, and just like eating/exercising, if I do the work, it will get stronger.

For me, slip ups are not failures, they are opportunities to prove I truly am ready to practice what I think I believe, that I can be kind/patient/etc. with myself.

RY

2. Aimee

Weight loss has been on the forefront of my thoughts, goals, dreams and plans for as long as I can remember. I am the closest I’ve ever been to my goal weight. However, slip ups, bad days/weeks still happen. Two weeks ago I celebrated my birthday. Only the celebration didn’t end there. I nibbled away at the left over treats for a few days. I tracked every last morsel and when my weekly WW points were used up I stopped. I weighed myself to assess the damage and then I resumed all healthy habits. I weighed in daily for a few days just to make sure I was going in the right direction.

For years when things like this happened I would feel defeated and use food to soothe myself. A few bad choices would turn into many more. Now I get pissed at myself for letting food have so much power. I like being in control of what I eat rather than the other way around so I take back control much more quickly.

Life happens and sometimes things are out of our control. I think it’s important not to let a short break in healthy habits turn into a lifestyle. It’s ok to go off track here and there as long as we are conscientious of our choices at the time and do our best to resume healthier habits as soon as possible.

Good luck Kenlie!

3. Ann

I motivate myself by reading your blog and seeing that we all struggle through the same things with weight loss….keep on keeping on!
    Thanks for the motivation you give me when I falter!

4. Grace @ Grace Dishes

I read blogs, update my own, take progress pictures, look at how far I’ve come, re-evaluate goals and why I’m in this… etc

I try to make healthy living routine and second nature at this point including when I eat, when I exercise, when I sleep, what I drink…if I treat it like habit instead of hobby, it gets easier?

5. Lolly

I have gained and lots thousands of pounds over the years. Despite the fact that I am disappointed with my size right now, I am proud that I have never given up. I don’t know exactly what has changed this time – maybe just my attitude – but I am determined to get it right this time.

Good luck to you!

~Lolly

6. Lolly

I have gained and lost thousands of pounds over the years. Despite the fact that I am disappointed with my size right now, I am proud that I have never given up. I don’t know exactly what has changed this time – maybe just my attitude – but I am determined to get it right this time.

Good luck to you!

~Lolly

7. Lisa

Sometimes you just have to “fake it till you make it”. I am not as far into my weight-loss journey as you are but I have been on this journey for a LONG time. I’ve lost 50 pounds since my highest weight but most recently I have lost 40 since February. Some days I feel like I fly through the day, making the best food choices along the way and I feel like I can actually feel the pounds dropping off! Other days I do everything I am supposed to do and feel sluggish or defeated. I know that my montly hormones play a BIG role in how I feel at times and during those times (or other off times) I just have to remember that if I am taking the steps that I know I need to take (tracking points, getting in my fruits and veggies, drinking my water, etc.) then everything will fall into place. You will get back to that place where you feel you can accomplish anything. Don’t let your brain derail you. I don’t know why our brains do that but they do. Good luck on your continued journey!

8. Lisa

Kenlie,
    I just thought of one more thing. I used to eat a lot of sweets. In Feb I decided to eat sweets only on Sundays during Lent. I have kept that up since then and have noticed a HUGE change in my daily mood and attitude toward food. If sweets are a problem for you (even if you are still eating within your points, calories or whatever you are doing) I can guarantee you they are affecting your outlook on food. I craved more food and usually it was not very healthy food when I was eating a lot of sweets. When I eat sweets on Sundays I do so in moderation and enjoy them WAY more than when I was sitting down to my NIGHTLY pint of Ben and Jerry’s ice cream. I was someone who thought I could NEVER give up sweets like that but what happened was that once I let the sweets go, their hold on me let go. I know it sounds weird but sugar does alter your brain. Take care!

9. Nina Patricia

So good to know you guys are well in NOLA. I usually come to your blog for inspiration and myfitnesspal. I have zero motivation right now because we are living with relatives and have to eat their food. We do have a plan in place for when we move, and thank goodness for the park across the street.