Exercise Lifestyle Reflection weight loss

Little Victories, Or When I Decided Against Krispy Kreme

In yesterday’s post I mentioned small victories that add up to big results, and since then I’ve made several little choices that will help me reach my goal.

I did another 5k because the weather is beautiful, and doing a workout in the morning seemed better than not doing one at all.  I made conscious decisions with food even though I was prepared to consume more calories today than I have or plan to have the rest of the week.

After class I went to a sports bar that my friends and I frequent and played trivia with my friend, Matt.  We dominated the game, but he was the champion of the evening! He won a gift certificate that I’m sure he’ll put to use soon, and I won a party for myself and 10 to 20 of my friends.  Seriously…We’ll get appetizers, dinner, drinks and a pool table for two hours.  How cool is that?  (It’s pretty awesome.  I know.)

When trivia ended we spent a few hours discussing our lives and other things before I headed home which takes about an hour and a half.  After a great night with an awesome friend I found myself wanting to snack on a doughnut on the way home because Krispy Kreme is on the way.

For years it was nearly impossible to pass up a Krispy Kreme without stopping, and sometimes it’s still harder than it should be (especially since I don’t really like the doughnuts anymore.)  I’ve passed by it several times recently without stopping, but last night I stopped and ordered a blueberry cake doughnut.  It sat in the passenger seat for the first 20 miles of my trip, and when I was finally ready to take a bite I stopped at one.

I know it’s okay to eat a doughnut from time to time, though it probably shouldn’t happen after midnight.  And while the first bite was good I reminded myself that the rest of it would taste the same, and I didn’t eat it.  I disposed of it when I stopped to gas up my car.

Immediately I realized that eating that doughnut would not fill a void, nor would it make me happy.  It would have given me a moment of gratification followed by the realization that I just consumed 330 calories of crap after sweating hard during my 5k earlier in the day.

Maybe these little choices are a sign that I’m headed in a positive direction.  Maybe I can enjoy my life while shaping it into what I want it to be. It may not seem significant to anyone else, but in my eyes I was victorious last night.

Do you struggle with choices between instant gratification and reaching your long term goals?

Mike
    October 11, 2012 at 5:16 am

This is my biggest problem, choosing to ignore the things that I know (think) will make me feel better at the time over the knowledge that a lot of small decisions like that add up to success.
    My problem is, I guess, that I don’t see the IMMEDIATE benefits of not choosing to eat some of the things I want. Temper that with the knowledge that if I did eat it, it isn’t the end of the world and I am in dangerous territory! Maybe I need to ignore the long term goal and set lots of tiny little goals!

Grace @ Grace Dishes
    October 11, 2012 at 6:57 am

Great job showing self-control. I definitely struggle with choosing between instant gratification and reaching my long term goals. This isn’t just weight-loss but for other issues in my life too.

I used to be a closet binger growing up because I was ashamed. The food definitely didn’t make me any happier but it was a defense mechanism for me. I had to target the emotional issues gnawing away at me before I could see any physical difference in myself. Before that, it was just a cycle of yo-yo dieting and self-loathing.

Taking back control was key to my success. I choose not to eat x, y and z not because I can’t have it but because I don’t want it (Just like how you chose not to have the rest of the doughnut). Nothing external can stop you from eating that doughnut – it came from within – your personal strength and self-love!

Great job! Have a wonderful day!

Amanda @ Click. The Good News
    October 11, 2012 at 7:48 am

Urgh- donuts are (one of my many) weaknesses too! There’s one at the airport that I have to walk right by when I travel several time a month & it’ so hard to just keep walking & find something healthy for breakfast. I think being more cognizant of why I want it & what emotions are compelling me to eat will be a bit help in saying no. Great job on self-control!

lance
    October 11, 2012 at 8:33 am

Constantly. If your body craves something you should feed it,just as you did, just not the whole thing. Doing so prevents binge eating, you have to be able to enjoy life.

Crystal
    October 11, 2012 at 8:40 am

I understand the position you are in all too well. Only I don’t think I could have stopped at the one bite. You inspire me though – thank you.

Jenn
    October 11, 2012 at 8:50 am

I applaud you! I wouldn’t be able to pass up a Krispy Kreme! But, the closest one to me is some 100+ miles away so they really are a treat.

You are right though, making little choices adds up to big changes.

Brooke
    October 11, 2012 at 9:32 am

Know the feeling. Wish I hadn’t ordered the two cheesburgers and fries last night at McDs , but my emotions were running high as they always do when it comes to my nephews (foster children). I just want more control. To hell with dieting. It just gets on my nerves that I don’t seem to have control over something that I’m the only one who can control…………………….

Ais
      October 11, 2012 at 11:58 am

You had one bad meal. So? Doesn’t mean you’ve backtracked or lost anything, it just means you slipped. Now, I’m a clumsy girl (literally) and when I slip, I feel annoyed and a little sheepish (and I might have a bruise on my bum), but I’m not going to just sit there and give up walking. If it really matters to you, move past the slip, and just keep going.

Good luck Brooke 🙂 Remember, we all slip, it’s how we respond to it that matters.

Patty
    October 11, 2012 at 11:15 am

I’d say that is a FANTASTIC victory. Bagels are my doughnuts and I hope to someday be as strong to take one bite and leave the rest alone. Go Kenlie! 🙂

October 11, 2012 at 1:19 pm

Thanks, Patty! I don’t know if I’d be strong enough to pass it up next time, but I’ll worry about that later. Right now I feel good about last time. =)

Ais
    October 11, 2012 at 11:56 am

I prefer to have a small serving of something I want each day (or a few times a week) rather than saying “none at all”. The “none at all” approach leads to stuffing my face. I think you should be proud of yourself for working toward your goal of getting healthier 🙂

October 11, 2012 at 1:20 pm

Yeah, I think that’s a great plan…

Angela
    October 11, 2012 at 12:35 pm

AWESOME!!!!! I wish I was victorious like that more often!! But I will keep your bite of blueberry doughnut in mind the rest of my week so I can have more victories! 🙂

Gaby
    October 11, 2012 at 1:00 pm

Tell us more about the 5K! Did you run, bike, row, walk??? I’m always interested in hearing about others’ runs (if that was the case). I started running a few years ago and could barely run a mile straight (I am not overweight, btw), but gradually built up to a 5K, then a 10K and then did a half marathon earlier this year. Someday, would like to do more than a half!

October 11, 2012 at 1:19 pm

It never occurred to me to specify, Gaby..ha Sorry about that. I walked the 5k yesterday and the day before.

When I ride my bike I usually ride a lot further since it’s so easy and fun. =)

Liz
    October 11, 2012 at 5:44 pm

I struggle with instant gratification all the time. And a lot of the time, those littl extras cause me to just throw everything out the window with th promise to “start tomorrow”. I have been kind of proud of myself. In recent moments of weakness, if I have grabbed maybe 3 bicuits instead of just one, part of the way through I will think the better of it and give a lot of what I took to my dog. That’s awesome you took one bite and got rid of the rest. Great job!

Kristin
    October 11, 2012 at 7:20 pm

Wow– I hadn’t ever thought about it from the perspective of ” the rest of it will taste the same”. — that thought will be a great help to me in the next few months!!:)

Bella
    October 14, 2012 at 11:56 pm

Over the past year or so, it has become increasingly difficult for me to pass up the instant gratification. Lately, I’ve found my willpower, though, and it’s been a bit easier to say no to temptations. Good for you for passing on something that you don’t really LOVE and that you know wouldn’t be worth the calories.

Daisymae
    October 16, 2012 at 12:50 pm

What a great post. Thank you for that nugget . . . every bite after this one will taste just like the first. That may give me the strength to be Ok leaving some things alone, and being Ok with just one bite. For me, that was an Ah ha moment, and evidently a victory for you.

Thank you, always, for sharing.