OMG! Pumpkin!

by Kenlie Tiggeman on October 5, 2012

It has been a long week, and I’m so glad it’s Friday!  I’ve been obsessed with all things pumpkin lately, but after seeing the nutrition facts on the pumpkin spice latte at Starbucks I knew I needed a different plan.

I’ve added pumpkin creamer to my coffee (because, you know, I drink coffee now.)  I’ve also added it to my smoothies, and last night I mixed it with Greek yogurt for a post-work-out snack.

This is my new favorite recipe because it’s simple, easy and PointsPlus friendly.  I used 6 oz. of vanilla Greek yogurt, 1/2 c. pumpkin, pumpkin pie spice and cinnamon.  I topped it off with whipped cream, and it was fantastic (and only 4 PP.)

Do you have any pumpkin recipes to share with me?  Do you love it as much as I do?

{ 15 comments… read them below or add one }

emily@justemily.blog.com October 5, 2012 at 6:31 am

I adore pumpkin. I like to make my own Pumpkin spice coffee because I cry at the thought of 500 calories for one drink.

This is roughly the recipe I use, but I don’t put sugar in, I put splenda, personally.

Bailey @ Onederland or Bust! October 5, 2012 at 8:58 am

This looks awsome!
Have you ever tried adding a can of pumpkin puree to a box of chocolate cake mix or spice cake mix? You just use those two ingredients and it makes a super moist cake/muffin and you don’t even need icing! It’s a great lower point treat and you can add pumpkin pie spice to the spice cake mix for a more “pumpkiny” dish.

Note: you can’t really taste pumpkin in the chocolate cake, but it’s still incredibly good :)

Brooke October 5, 2012 at 9:09 am

I LOVE the pumpkin pie blizzard at DQ. They have the mini blizzard now, but its still like 10 WW points. I tried to make my own low cal one last year. Now, its not as great, but it def. isn’t horrible. I took FF whipped cream and let it get soft then I bought real pumpkin from the can and put about two tbsp (add as you like, but remember it cost more calories). Then I added in a pumpkin spice flavoring (mainly just sugar is the bad part about this, but I’m sure you could find some with fake sugar). I had to play with it a bit to get the right flavor. But then I popped it back in the freezer and let it get hard again. I took two coconut cookies (I forget the brand, but they are a perfect match for DQs cookies in the blizzard) and crumbled in the bowl with about 1 cup of the mixer. I can’t remember now and the points have changed since I made it, but I think I cut almost half the calories out.

Also, Sweet Frog has a non-fat pumpkin yogurt that I want to give a try.

Brooke October 5, 2012 at 9:11 am

Oh and I get the non-fat pumpkin lattes (grande) and they come up to about 4 points when I calculate. But I ask for no whipped cream. Its really the syrup that adds so much. Its not the normal syrup they use. We have a small Starbucks on our college campus, so we don’t have the sugar free syrups, I think bigger Starbucks do.

Jenn October 5, 2012 at 9:22 am

That looks to-die-for! I Love pumpkin everything too!

Sabrina October 5, 2012 at 9:53 am

Last year I made a few patches of Pumpkin Spice Cake Balls. I also tried making Pumpkin / Butternut Squash Soup, but it didn’t turn out how I had hoped.

This year I am looking for Paleo friendly Pumpkin treats.

Leah October 5, 2012 at 10:15 am

I add pumpkin pie spice to my coffee grounds before brewing – tastes just like a pumpkin spice latte, but instead of using artificial creamer, you can use half and half and sugar :)
I’ve also done a recipe for pumpkin steel cut oats that I remember as pretty good.

Yum Yucky October 5, 2012 at 10:27 am

omg! your chobani-pumpkin recipe sounds delish! I am a lover of pumpkin bread, but have never done homemade. I should take a whack at a healthy pumpkin bread recipe.

Susan October 5, 2012 at 11:59 am

I love pumpkin spice lattes! I add pumpkin spice to my lattes at home, and it is quite tasty! :)

Jamie @ Win,Lose or Eat October 5, 2012 at 3:49 pm

This looks and sounds yummy! I’m going to try the cake mix/pumpkin thing that Bailey suggested also. MMM…good!

Jennifer October 5, 2012 at 5:37 pm

Yes! I just got a recipe that’s delicious, and can be tweeked as far as you want to go. Basically, it’s like banana pudding, but no bananas, and uses ginger snaps instead of nilla wafers. Use 2 small boxes of instant vanilla pudding or 1 large box, prepared, and add a can of pumpkin pie mix OR a can of plain pumpkin and spices you like. Layer in a 9×13 w/ the ginger snaps, top with whatever variety whipped topping you want. I used a big can of pumpkin pie mix, and mine was a little runny; I’ll probably use a small can next time. It’s DElicious!

Lolly October 5, 2012 at 9:05 pm

I love anything pumpkin! I have an awesome vegan pumpkin chili that I make (year round actually!) I am going to make it soon and will post pics and the recipe on my blog then!
~Lolly

BrookeNotOnADiet October 5, 2012 at 11:50 pm

You have got to try Hungry Girl’s Sassy Salsa Pumpkin Soup! It’s super delicious! I’m a huge fan of pumpkin too! Actually, I’m a fan of all squash! :)

jen October 6, 2012 at 7:50 pm

In Australia, we tend to not use pumpkin in sweet food at all. My mind is bending slightly at the idea of it in a drink!
I do love pumpkin in any savoury dish though and use it all the time.
One of my favourite recipes in maple mustard chicken. Marinate chicken thigh in maple syrup, dijon mustard and fresh rosemary for a day. Bake in oven. This is where I add the pumpkin and potato so that it gets the flavour…..mmmmm serve with steamed veg.

Airlie October 7, 2012 at 3:48 am

Do you know – in Australia we don’t really do pumpkin except for soup and roasted/mashed as a vege or mayeb in a scone. A guy who had been to America did pumpkin pie at xmas and we were all freaked out by having it turned into a sweet. I was amazed at your pumpkin spice latte thing! Crazy : )