First Annual Virtual 5k Turkey Trot

by Kenlie Tiggeman on November 20, 2012

I’m not feeling well tonight, but I have a lot to look forward to this week so I’m hoping that a good night’s sleep will do the trick!

Today was weigh-in day, and I lost 3.6 pounds.  I’m happy about it, but I’ll be much happier when weight-loss feels like a trend again.  My goal is to show a loss next week even though it’s Thanksgiving…even though I’ll be traveling…even though I’ll be away from my new gym.

I don’t need to lose 3 pounds to be happy with myself, but I do need to lose something.  My goal is to workout at my gym tomorrow before I leave town.  If the fancy gym in Mom’s town is open I’ll pay the ten bucks to sweat my guts out Wednesday.  If not, I’ll just do cardio outside.

Thursday I’m planning to do a virtual 5k turkey trot.  While it would be fun to participate in an actual race, I’m not willing to travel an hour each way early in the morning to accomplish it.  Instead I’ll just hit the track and get it done there.

I’m so happy to see that some of you plan to join me in a Thanksgiving workout, and as promised I’m sharing more details…

All you have to do is leave a comment saying that you want to join and what time you plan on doing it.  I plan to do mine between 8 and 9 in the morning because I think it will make me mindful of my food intake.  If you take a sweaty pic after it I’ll include it in a post soon.  Regardless, I hope you’ll join me!

I have to remind myself that Thanksgiving is about being thankful, not gorging myself with food.  I have a lot of reasons to be thankful this year, and I’m going to focus on that during my 5k!

Will you join me?

{ 17 comments… read them below or add one }

Donna(roadrunner) November 20, 2012 at 2:39 am

Think I will join you and do a 5k turkey trot…. I will do it between 4-5 pm Irish time… Happy Thanks Giving and well done on your weight loss. :))
Love reading your blog!!!!

Kenlie November 20, 2012 at 11:27 pm

I’m excited to hear that, Donna! Yay!

Nanci November 20, 2012 at 6:56 am

My husband and I are doing the Turkey Trot here in Clearwater, FL around 7am! It’s our first year doing it. Can’t wait!

Kenlie November 20, 2012 at 11:28 pm

That’s going to be awesome, Nanci!!! Enjoy it!

Kristen November 20, 2012 at 8:04 am

Nice job on the weigh-in! I’m going to try to do the 5K around 9AM EST. Look forward to joining you and others :)

Kenlie November 20, 2012 at 11:28 pm

AWESOME! :)

Julie Ann November 20, 2012 at 10:36 am

I would absolutely love to join you! I will be traveling that day, but I’m thinking the earlier in the day I do it the better — that way it actually gets done :) Good luck Kenlie!

Jen November 20, 2012 at 10:40 am

Also not doing a “formal” 5k on Thanksgiving, but heading to the track for the Journey to Thin Virtual 5k! Have fun and good luck with your goals for this week!

Adam November 20, 2012 at 11:00 am

” Thanksgiving is about being thankful, not gorging myself with food.” – I couldn’t agree more, I’ve been training my thinking this way for the past few weeks in anticipation of this day. Good words and I will be running a 5k turkey trot at 8:10am Central time. Good luck with yours!

Karen November 20, 2012 at 12:18 pm

I’ll be doing a 3-mile “pumpkin plod” at 9 am CST!

jules- big girl bombshell November 20, 2012 at 12:39 pm

We are actually doing our own version of a Turkey Trot with turkey dancing …..at home on the Wii…

I’m writing about it tomorrow!

Jen@HealthyFoodandFamily November 20, 2012 at 3:33 pm

Congrats on your loss this week! I won’t be doing a 5K this week (not my thing), but I will commit to a workout on Thursday :)

Gail November 20, 2012 at 3:54 pm

Definitely! Gotta get it in before the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade, so probably at 9 a.m.

Amanda @ Click. The Good News November 20, 2012 at 5:23 pm

Congrats on the loss! I love your idea of a virtual challenge =) Happy Thanksgiving :)

Linda J November 21, 2012 at 2:50 am

Kenlie, I’d love you to do an exercise post, letting us know all about your program. Did a trainer help devise your exercise, heart rate targets, how often, what types of exercise etc etc

I really want to grab the bull by the horns and join a gym and would love to know how you approached it all.

Good luck with the turkey trot gorgeous!

Linda J

Sylvie @ StruggleswithaFatA November 21, 2012 at 11:15 am

Congrats on the loss! I might do a 5k walk in my neighborhood, but I’m not sure yet if I’ll have time.

Shauna November 21, 2012 at 5:45 pm

I will do a turkey trot tomorrow between 7 and 8. See u there! :)