Inside My Apartment

by Kenlie Tiggeman on November 9, 2012

I have been feeling totally disconnected from the internet lately.  I typically stay connected through my blog, facebook and twitter, but it hasn’t been the same since September when we regained power after losing it for a week.  I felt disconnected and invisible which left me spending less time online, but I miss my friends.  I miss the community that we’ve built together, and I want to be a daily part of it again!

Things have been changing a lot lately, and some positive things have been happening in my life.  I am settling into my new apartment, doing well in school and enjoying time with my friends who live in or near downtown New Orleans.

Since I have settled into my new apartment for the most part I want to share a few photos.  I still have to hang things on the wall, but I’ll need to wait for friends to help with that.  The Suit has been so much help already, and I’m sure I’ll have things on the wall soon!

My pretty wooden blinds haven’t been installed yet, but management gave me paper ones until the permanent ones arrive (hopefully this week or next.)  And I’m honestly just so happy to be in my own little apartment that I don’t mind waiting for them.  :)

I still need an area rug, and I found one at Lowe’s that I love.  I’m just not sure how big it should be.

I’m not sure what I should put above the sink.  Clint (aka The Suit) suggested a decorative chalkboard for inspirational messages and notes. Does anyone else have thoughts on that?

Or maybe this should go above the sink?  I definitely want to display it somewhere!

I have a beautiful painting of the Brooklyn Bridge on a canvas that I plan to hang somewhere.  Maybe I’ll hang it above the bed?  Again, I’m not sure yet.

Should anything hang on the wall above the TV?  There’s a lot of space, but I’m not sure if I want anything on the wall or not.

I could only get a portion of my bathroom in the photo, but you get the idea, right?

The washer and dryer are in a nook behind the main bathroom door.  They’re quiet and out of the way which is nice.

I’d like to post more photos because my view is probably my favorite part, but this is the internet so……………You’ll just have to trust me when I say that it’s pretty outside.

Since moving last week I’ve been busy, but I have made time for workouts and cooking at home.  I’m happy to be in my new place, and I’m thankful to finally have the opportunity to carve out a routine.  Most of us need a routine, and it’s obvious that I need one.  I love being back on the elliptical, and my new favorite thing is the recumbent stair climber.

There are more changes on the horizon, and I’m looking forward to experiencing new things.  I’m happier now than I’ve been in recent memory, and I’m ready to spend some time getting back into a successful, happy and healthy groove.

What are you looking forward to right now?

{ 17 comments… read them below or add one }

Linda J November 9, 2012 at 2:20 am

Your new pad looks fab. You’ve got a great eye.

Speaking of which, I love that look of steely determination as you’re exercising!

Linda J

Liana November 9, 2012 at 3:29 am

Love your new apartment Kenlie. If I lived there, I would hang either a lovely scenic picture, one of my paintings in the kitchen area above the sink.

kristi November 9, 2012 at 9:31 am

I love the wall sayings that adhere to the wall. That would be pretty above your tv or bed.

Jen B November 9, 2012 at 9:45 am

LOVE your apartment! It’s beautiful! I say nothing above the living room TV and definitely to the bridge painting above your bed. Also, where did you get your shower curtain? I love it!!

Deb November 9, 2012 at 10:28 am

So pretty Kenlie! And I am o jealous of your kitchen! We live in a house, not an apartment, and you’re kitchen is easily twice the size of ours and with way more counter space. And no carpeting! So lucky!

Aly November 9, 2012 at 11:02 am

In my kitchen I have one of Marc Johns culinary prints. He’s my favorite artist because he’s funny and simple and whimsical. Here is a link to those prints, maybe you’ll find one for your empty kitchen space too!

auntiekim November 9, 2012 at 12:50 pm

Love the new diggs. You have great style.

Ang November 9, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Lovely new apartment. I love wooden blinds, I eventually want to replace all the cheap plastic ones in my house with wood.

That bedspread is cute!!!

As far as hanging stuff on the wall… I’m not a good one to give advice, I’m a minimalist, so most of my walls are bare.

Carly T November 9, 2012 at 5:29 pm

I love your new aparment! You’ve got great taste and it’s coming together beautifully. For the questions about what to put on your walls:

Above the TV – floating shevles staggered would look good or if you do art work make them a series of smaller pieces so you don’t have big rectangle above big rectangle. You could also do a combination series of floating shelves and wall boxes and small art or lean some small pieces of art on the floating shelves…

Above the sink – I like the calkboard idea but if you want artsy stuff instead, try a piece of ironwork to get a different texture in there. Your plaque is cute, but a little too small to hang in that big space. I actually like it leaning on the counter the way it is…

Above the bed – again, try to avoid the big rectangle over a big rectangle effect. What about one of those wall candleabra thingies? It’s romantic, but it might not work over a headboard… Hmmmmmm…

Steelers6 November 9, 2012 at 5:44 pm

Wow, it looks great! (I knew it would-saw pics of the apt before it was done, plus some of the things you wanted to buy, & combined = fantastic!)

Thanks for the tour, Congratulations, dear!

Chrissy

Heidi November 9, 2012 at 6:26 pm

I LOVE the new apartment!! I used to live in mid city New Orleans for 10 years before moving back to California. Are you in the Quarter? I think putting a chalk board above the sink is a brilliant idea. I have seen people take an old vintage looking frame and they put the chalkboard where the glass would be. It looks pretty cool. Congrats on the new place. I’ve been a lurker for awhile now… :-) lol

Heidi November 9, 2012 at 6:39 pm

Oh and to answer your question: I look forward to STICKING to counting calories and getting results this time! How do u keep track of your calories? I cant decide if i want to do spark people or my fitness pal…. I wish it was an easier process! Grrrrr……

Karen Walcott November 10, 2012 at 3:40 am

I love your apartment!!! I’m in the process of looking for a new place. There is nothing like living on your own in your own place without anyone bothering you. I never thought that I wold be one who loves to live alone, but I do. I miss it.

paralaxvu November 10, 2012 at 4:58 pm

Lovely place, Kenleigh! The bedding is very pretty, as is the shower curtain…and the curved curtain rod is great..I think it makes the shower area not so closed in, but then I’m a bit claustrophobic;-). I agree with the suggestion about leaving the plaque on the counter rather than mounting it on the kitchen wall. If you have to stand over the sinkn for any length of time (but I do see a dishwasher there, I think), a picture of an outside view with the suggestion of curtains might be nice. My sink has a view of villas going down ot the water, done in tile. It’s nice to gaze and daydream with. As for the rest of the apartment, I’ve found I need to keep the walls the way they are for a good long while until I am completely comfortable and then sometimes just sitting down and looking around brings in an idea for a certain spot. Or perhaps I find something in my shopping (I love to thrift shop!) gets pout there somewhere down the road. It’s spo fun to think about your oqwn place and decorate it to show your own taste, isn’t it? Have fun!

Nina November 10, 2012 at 11:19 pm

Looks amazing!!! Love it! I have not been online much lately either … Grad School and work is kicking my butt. (Unfortunately it’s also been a hard healthy time …) Hope to get back on track ASAP!

XOXO,
Nina

Patty November 12, 2012 at 9:52 am

Congratulations on the new apartment! It’s beautiful! :)

Alyssa December 9, 2012 at 7:55 pm

I looooove your bedding. Want.