Holiday Temptations, Or Why I’m Not Waiting Until the New Year…

by Kenlie Tiggeman on December 11, 2012

I know it’s silly to be excited about two stellar days of eating, but I’m really happy about it.  I resisted cravings again yesterday, and the scale has already shown a noticeable drop as a result.  I even resisted snacking on all of the treats my friends and I had while constructing our gingerbread home.

We won’t complete it until tonight so I’ll have another  opportunity to resist temptation today.  Of course, it’s the season of temptation, and I’d like to come out healthier and lighter than I was going into it.

Sunday I posted pictures of everything I ate on Facebook   I realize it’s obnoxious, but it’s not the only pointless thing I see posted on Facebook. :)  My goal today is to eat like I did Sunday and yesterday, and my favorite part of it all is the new McCormick seasoning I’ve been using this week.

I seasoned my chicken breast with Cuban seasoning from their gourmet collection  and it is amazing! I bought it on sale a few weeks ago, and I had no idea I’d love it as much as I do.  It transformed my salad of mixed greens, sugar snap peas and English cucumbers.

I’m also having a love affair with hummus again, and I’m looking forward to dipping veggies in it again today.  I like the peas, but I’m also a big fan of raw bell peppers.  I found minis at the supermarket last night, and they’re going to be outstanding.

Sometimes it’s difficult to remember simple facts that make my life easier, but I’m trying!  I know that when I eat healthy things my body feels good.  I also know that when I make wise choices I feel good about myself.

I realize that a few good days can’t erase my careless indulgences, but I also know that those days have come and gone.  I know that with every breath I take comes an opportunity to make a choice that will make me healthier and happier.  I know that it’s my responsibility and that no one else can do it for me.

I know I’ve wasted time, and I know that the holidays are tough.  I also know that there’s no better time than now to make mindful changes.

It’s obviously a struggle, but I’m more honest and aware of what I want now than I have been in years.  As I said in a post recently I’ve accomplished some things this year that have held me back for a long, long time.  Making solid food choices and exercising are an important part of my personal puzzle, and I like the way it makes me feel so I’m going to do it again today.

What are you doing that makes you feel good today?

{ 14 comments… read them below or add one }

Joe December 11, 2012 at 8:47 am

Starting off the day eating an egg white spinach turkey bacon sandwhich for breakfast made me feel pretty good for the start of the day. Congrats on the changes and pretty soon before you know it days of eating healthy will turn into weeks and that will turn into months!

Kenlie December 12, 2012 at 2:12 am

I like that prediction, Joe! When I lost my first 100 pounds I ate healthy foods about 80% of the time, but I know that I need to at least that much to lose the next hundred….and more.

One day at a time sounds like a solid plan to me.

Jen@HealthyFoodandFamily December 11, 2012 at 10:41 am

There are a few parties and other indulgent opportunities that are going to happen over the next few weeks and today includes two of them, BUT that doesn’t mean I should just wait until January. I fully intend on indulging at the parties and enjoying eating out tonight ,but in between these events I’ll be eating clean and training mean and dirty. Parties are meant to be fun and indulge, it’s what I do in between that’s really going to count!!!

Kenlie December 12, 2012 at 2:13 am

“I’ll be eating clean and training mean and dirty” You rock. That is all.

Grace @ Grace Dishes December 11, 2012 at 1:06 pm

I went on a 6.7 mile run this morning even though I almost skipped it!

I think it’s wonderful to celebrate victories big and small! Great job with the healthy eating!

Kenlie December 12, 2012 at 2:14 am

Wow! That’s fantastic! Way to go!!!!!

Ximena December 11, 2012 at 2:03 pm

I’m so happy for you resisting the temptation I have to work on it myself, it’s really hard to focus but I’m really doing my best to stay strong. Thanks for keeping us posted and accountable.
take care,
ximena

Kenlie December 12, 2012 at 2:16 am

I gave into some temptations today at lunch, but I kept it mostly under control. I ate responsibly tonight too. Every decision counts, right? That’s what I have to remember.

Julie Ann December 11, 2012 at 3:33 pm

I resisted temptation today!

When I walked into the lunchroom there was a HUGE box of doughnuts. I didn’t even have a small bite of one. I just kind of thought about the taste and knew it wasn’t worth the calories or points.

Kenlie December 12, 2012 at 2:17 am

Wow! Good for you!!!! Doughnuts are tough for me to resist!!!

Shannon December 11, 2012 at 8:21 pm

I love living life with you Kenlie!

Kenlie December 12, 2012 at 2:18 am

I feel the same way, Shannon! Thanks for being such an amazing friend!!!!!!! <3

Deb December 12, 2012 at 12:24 am

Having a couple of great days is something to get excited about! And if you have a great week, even better!

I got just over an hour of exercise today- walked/jogged around the neighborhood (1.4 miles) and then played almost an hour of DDR. 860 cals burned! I wasn’t so good on food today, but it wasn’t horrible either.

I’ll have a challenge tomorrow night as we are going out to an Italian place for dinner.

Kenlie December 12, 2012 at 2:20 am

Wow! That’s an incredible calorie burn…whoa!