Cooking At Home

Sometimes I have to start my post by whining a little.  I just have to say that my ankle hurts.  I’m sure that the hour of Zumba I did this morning didn’t help it, but what am I supposed to do?  I took a week off from workouts earlier this month, and it didn’t feel better.  If it’s going to hurt regardless, I figured I should at least burn some calories.

cheese tortellini

I’ve been icing it, and I’ll stick to the elliptical tomorrow which doesn’t seem to aggravate it as much. I’m not sure what to do to make the dull and constant pain go away, but it’s not horrible so I’ll stop whining for now.

This week has already presented some health challenges, and I’m trying to conquer them one at a time.  It’s going to be harder this week because I’m going to several Superbowl events including ESPN Nation, VH1 Concert Series and some CNN events.  We also plan to spend Sunday at the Superdome so I’ll pack some Pellegrino to refrain from drinking beer empty calories.

I’ve cooked several meals at home this week, and I have really enjoyed eating healthy and delicious foods.  It’s satisfying to make something delicious and enjoyable, and knowing that it won’t keep me from reaching my goals makes it even better.

I made a salad loaded with greens, bean sprouts and baked tilapia.

tilapia salad

Clint said my bbq shredded chicken was awesome, and I have to agree.

bbqchicken

I made 100-calorie crepes with Greek yogurt and fresh berries before the parade with Matt and Shannon Sunday.  This is one of my favorite meals, but I don’t make it often.

crepes

When I wake up I plan to put a beef roast in the slow cooker.  I will load it up with onions, garlic and Lipton onion soup mix, and it will be ready by the time I’m done with class.

What are you cooking this week?

AIrlie
    January 29, 2013 at 3:28 am

We just bought a pizza oven, so tomorrow night I am going to try and make my own pizza! The berry water looks so delish! As do the crepes!

Shannon
    January 29, 2013 at 8:57 am

Be careful with your ankle! I had pain in my foot after a soccer game once, and let it go until it felt ok again. Turns out I had a stress fracture, and ended up needing surgery 🙁 because I didn’t take care of it when it first happened.

Brooke
    January 29, 2013 at 9:03 am

Are you wrapping your ankle? Using a brace? I sprained my ankle back this Summer and it was black and blue and swollen. My chiropractor told me to use the bike for a few days until the swelling went down, but that even just walking around I needed a brace on my ankle. He said once you hurt it like that you are more likely to re-injure it within the first week b/c its weak. So I went to CVS and bought an ankle brace (he recommended the ones with the plastic or metal on the sides to immobilize the ankle a bit).

Tammy
    January 29, 2013 at 12:05 pm

Do you have tickets to the game on Sunday? Wow!

Do you think you should see a doctor about your ankle? I think re-injury is a big possibility, and you won’t know how to protect it until you know exactly what is wrong.

Michelle
    January 29, 2013 at 2:21 pm

I love making bbq shredded chicken! Such an easy and tasty meal!

Tonight we’re having hamburgers on the grill with lots of veggies. Tomorrow we’re having Skinnytaste’s spaghetti squash boats. Thursday is london broil with roasted potatoes and side salad. Friday’s I use my crockpot so we’ll be having a pork loin recipe I found on Pinterest.

Tracy at www.mytinytank.net
    January 29, 2013 at 10:30 pm

I made burgers wrapped in big lettuce leaves with crumbled blue cheese. Yum. One of my favorites!!!

Joe
    January 29, 2013 at 10:49 pm

Big bowl of Kale salad and stuffed green peppers. Superbowl activities sound like a lot of fun!

annamarie
    January 30, 2013 at 8:22 am

The meals look absolutely devine.

I hope your ankle is getting better, if not, please go to the doctor and get it checked out. You really don’t want/need further damage that it gives you more problems when you are older.

Many hugs

Amber Barnes
    January 30, 2013 at 2:02 pm

Monday: Rotisserie chicken (in my Baby George Foreman rotisserie) with carrots, mashed potatoes, and yorkshire pudding

Tuesday: We went out for sushi for our date night

Wednesday: Homemade butternut squash soup and leftover chicken

Thursday: Lemon dill salmon, spinach salad with fresh berries, almond slivers, and feta cheese with homemade balamic dressing, rice

Friday: (family coming to visit) Crockpot roast with root veggies – potatoes, yams, parsnips, carrots, and yorkshire pudding

Deb
    January 30, 2013 at 6:01 pm

I’m doing pulled pork sandwiches tomorrow night I think. Tonight is spaghetti and turkey-spinach meatballs. Yum!

debbie @ healthy eating plan
    January 30, 2013 at 7:20 pm

I loved your recipes 🙂 . Looks so yummy!
    Thanks for sharing.
    GOD BLESS

M
    January 30, 2013 at 8:39 pm

The crepes look delish. Can you share the recipe?
    We made made the best cauliflower pizza last night! YUM.

Paulina
    February 3, 2013 at 12:34 pm

HI!

I’m a frequent reader but 1st time commenter.

I too had ankle issues…2 things helped me. #1 – bought an ankle sleeve from Tommie Copper (online). I know it looks sketch but it totally worked. It made me feel like I could walk forever. #2 – i went to get a series of massages. i know it sounds f’d up..but i think my ankle issues were actually related to tense muscles in my back/scatic nerve which didn’t really hurt at all. the massages were BRUTAL at first, i had no idea my body was that tense but, it was…

long story short….no more pain = happy girl

Good Luck! …with everything!