Opinion: Celery Is NOT a Snack

by Kenlie Tiggeman on January 10, 2013

I stay up late.  Don’t even bother telling me that I should go to bed before 1 am because I’m not going to do it.  I don’t get up at 6 am so I can go to bed late and still get enough sleep, but around 9 pm I start craving food.  Right now I’m trying to figure out what my last snack of the evening should be.

It’s easy to say “eat a vegetable,” and that’s good advice.  I just have to be more specific about what I need to have in my kitchen to satisfy me while keeping me on target.

Here’s a list of late night possibilities that I’ve come up with so far:

- raw sugar snap peas

- hummus

- Greek yogurt

- fresh berries

- oatmeal (with a boiled egg white on the side)

- 100 calorie Belgian chocolate bars from Trader Joe’s

My list needs to be longer, but I am aiming for things that will truly satisfy me so I don’t find myself searching for something else after my snack.  I know it seems like I should add almonds or other nuts to my list, but history has taught me that they’re not a good evening snack choice for me.

For months I drank a gallon of water everyday, but I lowered my goal to 10 glasses recently.  I think a gallon is probably best, but for now I’ll stick with being happy with at least ten.  Maybe drinking significantly less means I’m thirsty.  I’ll keep that in mind too.

Working out five days a week is going well, and while I set a goal of 30 minutes, most days I’ve done twice as much.  I know that making small, healthy goals is the way to do this, and surpassing them makes me feel like I’m in control.

Losing weight is a mind game, and I try to remind myself of that.

How are you doing with your current goals?  What are they?

{ 46 comments… read them below or add one }

Amanda @ Click. The Good News January 10, 2013 at 3:59 pm

I’m the opposite- early to bed, early to rise….I can’t imagine how much I’d snack if I were to stay up late! I do enjoy the 100 calorie bags of popcorn, especially some of the flavors. Hubby eats cereal & milk some nights.

Kenlie January 11, 2013 at 1:56 am

I like popcorn too. That’s a great option!

Stacey January 10, 2013 at 4:01 pm

Do you like edamame (in the shell)? The saltiness combined with the amount of time it takes to eat it really kills cravings for me.

You can also mix the dry Hidden valley ranch dressing mix into 0% Greek yogurt (I think 16 oz?) and make a much healthier ranch dip for those veggies, which might satisfy you a bit more. I also always keep reduced fat sticks of cheese and clementines in my house. My husband loves to snack on cottage cheese with fruit mixed in (or 100% fruit preserves) or sliced cucumber and tomatoes with oil and vinegar.

I am prone to eating out of boredom at night so I force myself to drink a 16 oz glass of water with lemon before I snack. For some reason, drinking out of a straw makes this less annoying. I don’t know, it’s a tiny thing, but it makes it easier for me! I’ll also drink decaf coffee with yummy creamer if I’m craving really badly, and/or flavored green tea. If all else fails, I just go to bed!

I think you’re doing a great job! I agree that smaller goals are better. At this point, my goal is to lose another 45 lbs this year (I lost 55 lbs last year, but lost focus and became complacent once I reached a certain point – need to break through that). I also want to meal plan and become more organized, both of which will hopefully help with my main goal of being more fiscally responsible!

Kenlie January 11, 2013 at 1:58 am

I like everything you mentioned except cottage cheese. I forgot about edamame, but I actually have 150 calorie bags of it in my freezer right now. I get them at Sam’s, and they’re fantastic. How could I forget such an awesome snack?! :)

Vanessa January 10, 2013 at 4:38 pm

I’m addicted to ice cream and a healthier replacement is to freeze a banana and I’ll eat half of it instead. Yum!
I love your other suggestions. I also love hummus but its one of those snacks that I don’t overeat so its perfect.

Kenlie January 11, 2013 at 2:00 am

I measure hummus on my food scale before I eat it. If I didn’t I would probably overeat it.

And I freeze bananas to put in my smoothies sometimes, but I’ve never considered eating them frozen. Interesting thought.

Your post reminded me how much I like putting frozen fruit in Greek yogurt and letting it sit for about 15 minutes before mixing it and eating it. Yum.

Petchy January 10, 2013 at 4:49 pm

I LOVE the sugar free chocolates from Cavalier (www.cavalier.be) – my regular weekend treat! Raw cauliflower with a dip is also tasty (I do the low carb thing so I use a sour cream dip, but home made tomato salsa is nice too).

Kenlie January 11, 2013 at 2:01 am

cauliflower with a Greek yogurt/powder ranch dip would be AMAZING!!! I’m going to do that soon – and often. Yummmmmmmmmmmy!

Dacia January 10, 2013 at 4:51 pm

I gravitate towards sweets at night so I always keep one or two bars of dark chocolate in my fridge. There is one brand that has bits of candied orange I really love, they also make one that has puffed quinoa in it. They are super decadent so I really can’t go overboard on it. I just grab two squares (I think 5 squares is a serving) and a piece of fruit and have some herbal tea. Or if I am hungier I go with sprouted grain toast with raw almond butter and a banana. I like popcorn too but instead of the individual serving bags in the store I just pop mine in a brown paper bag in the microwave. Top it with some sriracha, nutritional yeast, s&p and sometime garlic powder. Hot sauce works too if I am out of sriracha.

Kenlie January 11, 2013 at 2:02 am

I need to look up how to pop it in a paper bag because that sounds fun!

Dacia January 11, 2013 at 3:38 pm

I put a 1/4 cup of kernels in a browm paper bag. Fold the top over twice- make sure the folds aren’t too big because the bag will fill with popcorn. Just enough to keep it shut. Lay the bag on it’s side and cook for about 2 mins. Just like any other bag once the popping slows, it’s done. That’s it.

Josh @ Fat2Phat January 10, 2013 at 5:35 pm

My go to is usually the Greek Yogurt with fresh fruit. At night after working out I crave something sweet. The Yogurt & fruit (USUALLY) goes it for me. But, I love your list.

Kenlie January 11, 2013 at 2:02 am

I eat that for breakfast a lot and need to remember that I can do it as a snack too!

Amy January 10, 2013 at 5:43 pm

I agree with you about losing weight being a mind game. It’s rough. Some days are great with no craving attacks or anything. Other days I struggle, like today. But so far I’ve managed to stay on track. When I want something sweet late at night I eat a cutie. It seams to work for me. Wishing you the best.

Kenlie January 11, 2013 at 2:07 am

Yep..it is rough…I don’t know why I crave things so much some days and not others. If only we all knew….but hey..I’ll be okay with not knowing the answer if I can stay in control of my cravings.

Lisa in NZ January 10, 2013 at 6:06 pm

I am usually in bit at 9.30 with dinner finishing anywhere between 6-7pm so nto too much space – but i do sometimes get hungry but no solution to me so thatnks for the great ideas – I do find it I am being “craftly” and creating something I don’t tend to look for food or if I am reading.
Have a great weekend

Sarah January 10, 2013 at 6:31 pm

My NUT said that I should drink something hot (hot cocoa or hot tea) at night, that it will help with the cravings.. Honestly, it works.. some of the time.. Sounds like you have some good choices.. I hope you figure it out.. :)

Tracy @ My Tiny Tank.net January 10, 2013 at 6:35 pm

Apple with peanut butter
Cottage cheese w Cucumber
Cucumber slices with goat cheese and cranberries
I thought I’d share a few of my favorite. I’ve found the trick to a snack for me is not have a treat food. A treat is a treat. A snack is nourishing. I’ve found a snack has to have enough fat and protein to hold me.

Rachael P January 10, 2013 at 6:55 pm

I’ve never tried cottage cheese w/ Cucumber, but that sounds delish! Thank for the idea. I usually put some salted sunflower seeds on my cottage cheese and that is pretty yummy.

Kenlie January 11, 2013 at 2:04 am

Cottage cheese sounds appealing with savory seasonings even though I despise it with fruit. Interesting idea…

I don’t really look at any food as “treat” food because of the mind game that plays with me, but I see your point about snacks being nourishing. I think that comment is going to stick with me for a long, long time. Thank you.

Pj Geek January 10, 2013 at 7:24 pm

Ants on a log! celery , pnut butter and raisins is a great snack and then alter it with celery and salad dressing.

A big cup of herbal decalf tea is filling , warm, and calorie free. I always feel a little smug when that’s all I have.

Kenlie January 11, 2013 at 2:05 am

You feel smug when that’s all you have…I LOVE it! :)

Amber @ Hungry4aHealthyLife January 10, 2013 at 7:26 pm

Those are all good ideas, and it sounds like you’ve gotten quite a few suggestions. It’s awesome that you are making it to the gym so often, good job!

Joe January 10, 2013 at 9:16 pm

My go to snacks are Greek Yogurt, almonds and beef jerky. I actually enjoy eating all three and after I’m done eating them I’m satisfied for the next couple hours until I eat my next meal.

Kenlie January 10, 2013 at 10:52 pm

I feel the same way about Greek yogurt, and I bet I’d feel that way about beef jerky too. Awesome.

Gaye January 10, 2013 at 11:07 pm

I just found your blog through Cranky Fitness. So glad I did. Wow. Halfway. That is so great! Love your “late night possibility” list. :) (I have a penchant for pretzel rods, which I kind of suck on. I know. It sounds gross. But they take a long time to eat that way and I like to get a lot of bang for my buck time-wise with my food. :)
Thanks for posting. Looking forward to following your progress.
Gaye

Kris January 11, 2013 at 12:50 am

One of my favs is a low carb whole wheat tortilla, a table spoon or two of your favorite nut butter, a sliced banana and a drizzle of honey…roll it all up, a glass of skim milk to wash it down and I’m done for the night. Chew from the tortilla, salt and fat from the nut butter, sweet from the honey, squish from the banana…it hits every one of my mouth senses and eases my desire to rip open a can of pringles with my teeth.

You’re doing AWESOME! And, thank you for allowing us to tag along on your journey!!

shannon January 11, 2013 at 8:12 am

Late night snacks…LOVE the idea of the sugar snap peas (a fav snack of mine). We do cereal at night a lot, also like Greek yogurt with a little smattering of granola, English muffins with a bit of peanut butter and honey, apples with PB…I’ll have to think of some others. I tend to fall asleep on the couch early before going to bed, or crashing with my youngest when I take her to bed. My hubby jokes that he has to wake me up to got o bed, but my day starts at 515.

As far as my current goals, slow and steady wins the race right? I have been very good about workouts, trying harder at meal prep…my hubby and I are both interested in WW but the extra $$ is just not there right now. We found a website that gave us our point goals for the day…is it even feasible with cookbooks and other “non-WW” WW websites to try and make it work?

Another big goal I have is to increase the number of readers at my blog…you are WAY successful at that…any pointers???

Dom @ Dom Will Run For Beer January 11, 2013 at 9:12 am

Ditto on the popcorn! :)

Michelle January 11, 2013 at 10:20 am

I think there are great ideas here. I also enjoy rolled up cold cuts. 2-3 oz of turkey or ham is very low points!

Shannon January 11, 2013 at 12:00 pm

If your snacks are not something you enjoy then you set yourself up for a binge. At least that is my experience. Good job on your exercise :)

Janice @ fit foot January 11, 2013 at 1:34 pm

I’m with Dacia, I have 2 squares of really good quality dark chocolate and savour every bite! When I buy the bars I immediately portion them and put them in the fridge.

I alo love fresh strawberries with fat free vanilla yoghurt, Mmmm, yummy!

Janice @ Fit Foot Blog

Trixie January 11, 2013 at 1:54 pm

I eat whole frozen raspberries. Even if I have a cup full it is 80 calories and 9(!) g of fiber. I find it takes time to suck/chew on the raspberries to takes the snacking need away – and somehow feels like a treat because it’s frozen.

Elizabeth J. January 12, 2013 at 1:04 am

Kale chips!!

20togo January 12, 2013 at 3:58 am

You are doing amazingly! So impressed : )

Amber January 12, 2013 at 7:49 am

For the last three nights I’ve had the same complaint as you about feeling ravenous late in the evening. I seldom ate anything after a 5 or 6 o’clock dinner, but now that I’ve upped my exercise routine and am eating healthier during the day I am starving late at night.

Chris (wisdomcouragepower.blogspot.com), my husband, is tired of me complaining asking what is there to eat and not being happy about my healthy choices. I did some research last night and intend to post about it later today. Check out my blog tonight/tomorrow and maybe together we can come up with some ideas.
Amber

Tim January 12, 2013 at 3:45 pm

Celery is terrible by itself but with some almond butter it’s a good snack. But you said almonds and nuts don’t work for you. Hummus is good with carrots, cucumber and celery. Have you found hummus to be satisfying enough? For me, not so much.

Amanda January 12, 2013 at 7:29 pm

Like many others have said, popcorn is a favorite snack of mine. Sometimes I roast some veggies to snack on. I’m not very good at stopping when I have dip/veggies or hummus/crackers, etc. I also like WW, Skinny Cow or Healthy Choice packaged ice cream. I need in to be in a single serving. Otherwise, I’m in trouble.

Also, my newest creation for my late night sweet tooth is candy cane hot chocolate. It’s only 1 point. Basically, I brew trader joe’s decaf candy cane green tea. I pour the tea over a packet of Swiss Miss Diet Hot Cocoa. It’s delish. It keeps me warm in Kansas City when I don’t want to turn my heat up. :)

Beth January 13, 2013 at 9:59 am

I definitely agree with the comment about a treat vs. a snack – are you hungry or do you just want something sweet? In the evenings a sugar free jello or pudding usually works okay for me, or a cup of flavored coffee.

Tessie January 13, 2013 at 10:06 am

I vote for no snacks.

Foodie McBody January 14, 2013 at 3:26 pm

First: DRINK to fill yourself up. Tea? Flavored water? I also go for protein for snacks because it tends to be more filling. Hard boiled egg? Turkey rollups? String cheese? I also heart Greek yogurt with fruit.

The key is to think, are you snacking out of habit or boredom or because you are truly hungry? If you are, then snack, but if not, then another activity to distract yourself out of the habit is not a bad idea.

Valerie January 14, 2013 at 7:24 pm

So many comments I can’t check to make sure this isn’t redundant…but what about a protein smoothie with greens and some fruit?

Valerie January 14, 2013 at 7:25 pm

Or a few grilled chicken strips with cut up bell peppers. Greek yogurt with berries. I’m learning that a snack doesn’t have to be *different* food than what I eat at mealtime…just a smaller portion.

MamaBearJune January 15, 2013 at 2:34 am

Another night owl here! I love Greek Yogurt. I will sometimes add 1/4c dark chocolate chunks (I use Dove dark squares chopped up.) I also will have nuts for a snack. I put 1/4c in snack size bags so I don’t eat several hundred calories worth. :-) I have too low blood pressure and high heart rate, so I need to have salty snacks handy. (Doctor’s orders!)

Sylvie @ StrugglesWithaFatA January 16, 2013 at 5:17 pm

I find that protein and fat both keep me full. (Depending whether you eat fat, my RD told me to include fat in my diet.) Like many other people, I love greek yogurt with fruit, and this keeps me full for a while. Another option suggested by my RD is frozen berries with 1-2 tablespoons heavy cream. If you’re feeling for something savory, she says she likes to use veggies simply as vessels to get in her fat in the form of creamy dips or cream cheese. A piece of chocolate with a spoonful of peanut butter is another good snack, but I find just a spoonful doesn’t make me full enough that I don’t want more to snack on. Veggies and full fat dip keep me comfortably full so that I don’t feel the need to eat more!

Karan January 19, 2013 at 10:26 am

I cannot sleep after eating nuts and celery tastes like a watery wannabe snack. BUT now I love celery and apples with almond butter! And another is popcorn with peanut butter (just a teaspoon mixed in the hot popcorn goes a long way to coat it. If points are there 1 tablespoon) I like skinny pop individual bags to keep in the car. And love the WW crunchy gingerbread cookies. A great app for checking out snack worthiness is Fooducate. It even gives alternative. I scan everything in the store. It gives WW points. Love all of the ideas. Thankful I found this blog!