weight loss

If You’re Reading This…

Sometimes it’s easy to believe that there’s no one out there who understands the struggles that I go through to live a healthy life. I worry that I have failed everyone by not reaching my goal sooner, and I begin to wonder if there’s anyone out there who still believes in me.

I suppose that’s irrelevant, but I like knowing that somewhere in Blogland there is someone who has faced challenges as big as mine.

There are days in which I need to be reminded that there are others who realize that weight loss does not always happen quickly and seamlessly, and that often times, when it does, it does not last.

This journey is long, but I feel as though I am finally seeing results again. I believe, for the first time in a long time, that I can do this.

I know that a strong belief in myself is the most powerful mental tool I can have, but it would be so nice to believe that others still believe in me too.

If you’re reading my blog, I sincerely thank you, and I will continue to work as hard as I have been recently to move to the next chapter of my story.

Is there anyone reading today who has struggled to see the light at the end of their tunnel? Am I really the only one?

sanumaria
    February 28, 2013 at 4:25 am

Sweetie, you are not the only one. I’ve been staring (or trying to stare) at my goal and it feels that it is not getting any closer. That’s why I try to notice the smaller things which are taking me closer to that goal. It’s the same at the gym. I want to do a pull up. Just one. That’s my goal there. I can do 1/4 of a pull up now, which is kind of sad ๐Ÿ˜€ . But then again, I can do my series with lat machine with bigger weights than ever, so I’m defiantly going in the right direction. When I feel I’m not getting any closer to my weight goal, I try to remember my patience with my gym goals. We will get there. We will.

February 28, 2013 at 8:08 pm

I told the new trainer that I am working with tomorrow that I want to do a pull-up someday, and he said that I can start training to that end. I don’t think that’ sad at all. We all have to start somewhere.

Sylvia @cowgirlwarrior
    February 28, 2013 at 5:04 am

So not alone by any means, and I’m sure there are many of us in the same boat. The very important part is never give up.

Carol
    February 28, 2013 at 5:45 am

You are not alone. It is a challenge every day:) Tracking everything gets tedious, measuring gets old, but the results are so worth it. Your health is so important. There is only one of you and you have take the best care for yourself.

Cindy
    February 28, 2013 at 5:52 am

Struggle, struggle, struggle and then I go to blogs like yours and I am inspired. Thank you for taking the time to post. It helps so many of us!

Alissa
    February 28, 2013 at 6:21 am

I have been struggling for over a year. I just keep tweaking my plan over and over until finally I will find something that works again. I totally know how stressful and difficult it is. I try not to think of it as a diet, and It’s not for me anymore.

Melinda
    February 28, 2013 at 6:27 am

Just what I needed to read this morning! Struggling with those last 5 pounds to goal and it seems like I sabotage myself each time I get close! Keep up the blogging… And keep making the right choices to become a healthier you! You’re not the only one and you encourage the rest of us to keep trying.

Eric Van De Ven
    February 28, 2013 at 6:31 am

Mine hasn’t been so much a weight issue, as I know that will come. Mine has been training for races and then an injury, in the most recent case, my shoulder, has to be addressed which sets back my training.

Two steps forward, one step behind!

Just keep plugging away at it and you will reach your goals. The only way you will not reach your goals, is if you give up…and I know that isn’t going to happen! ๐Ÿ™‚

Deb
    February 28, 2013 at 7:07 am

You are most definitely not alone. I always read your blog posts and can mostly understand what you’re going to.

I read a lot of health, weight loss and wellness blogs and there are a lot by people who were never really overweight (or minimally) and have NO idea what it’s like to have this battle day in and day out. Year after year.

Thanks for continuing to be there for people like me!

mary
    February 28, 2013 at 8:45 am

oh no you are not alone….never
    you are admired by many, you give so many inspiration
    i for one look forward to each and every one of your posts
    xo

Shrinking Me
    February 28, 2013 at 8:50 am

Oh my goodness, you certainly are not the only one. I was about doing well and then a little over a year ago things slowed to a snail’s pace and I lost only 10lbs over the year. I seem to have hit another “plateau” once again. It will happen, you just have to persevere and stay the course. I know – it’s easier to say than to do sometimes. Good luck. We can do it! ๐Ÿ™‚

Kim
    February 28, 2013 at 8:51 am

I recently found your blog and have found it to be very inspirational! I’m at the beginning of what will hopefully be a 200 lb weight loss journey and I know sometimes it can be very discouraging to look and see such a long road ahead! What I have found to be very helpful is to always seek out new challenges. Set a goal to do something you’ve never done before. It doesn’t even have to be weight loss related per se. Getting excited over something new will help you stay committed to your old goals as well. Keep hanging in there!

Molly Nitka
    February 28, 2013 at 9:41 am

I feel ya. It’s been 3 years since I’ve started losing weight. I want it to go fast but I realized that I have learned a lot about myself and weight loss. I have kept the weight off and have NOT had a significant amount of weight gain. Just remember that you are becoming a better and healthier you.

Brittany
    February 28, 2013 at 10:01 am

I’m on my last 20-25lbs and it’s been really hard to get to the end. My wedding is in 4 months and I know if I don’t do it now, I never will. I have learned important lessons though, like some foods are not worth it when I know I’m going to have to work 3x as hard the next day to get rid of them. I just wish the end of the tunnel was here already.

Diana McAdams
    February 28, 2013 at 10:21 am

I’m 64 and still struggling. ( Don’t get me started on being post menopausal, knee issues and general lack of activity issues.
    But think I’ve found an answer for me. I’ve having finally broken down and bought a BodyMedia monitor, I feel like I am REALLY going to make some progress. Lost 3.4 # since I started wearing it 2 weeks ago. That’s more than I’d lost in 2 months on my own. Keep plugging away. You’ll find the right answer for you !

Shannon
    February 28, 2013 at 10:35 am

You are not alone in this! I believe you can do this! I enjoy reading your blog and seeing all that you have accomplished and look forward to watching you accomplish more.

I’ve lost weight, gained it back, lost a little, gained that back…it’s life but to keep fighting is where it counts. You’ll get to your goal in due time but you’ll learn a lot of lessons along the way…about yourself and about others.

Keep posting b/c I’m reading!

Ashley
    February 28, 2013 at 10:38 am

I started my weight loss journey 3 and a half years ago…I should definitely be at my goal by now, but I’m not, it has been a huge struggle. Like you, the first year was easy…I lost 70 pounds, I felt super empowered and I very rarely struggled with food choices. The last 2 and a half years have been a roller coaster. I gained 20 pounds, lost 20 pounds and then gained 40 pounds again. There have been days that I’m so frustrated that I’ve gained back almost half of the weight that I feel as though I don’t know where to start and end up sabotaging myself. When I read your blog it helps me know that I’m not the only one who has struggled like this. I finally decided a few weeks back that continuing to be mad that I’m not at my “lowest weight” isn’t helping, I just need to start over and get rid of this weight and then get to my goal.

Bailey @ Onederland or Bust!
    February 28, 2013 at 10:52 am

I think everyone who has ventured on a weight loss journey as struggled with this! I seem to go through it every few months and it can be really hard to push through! It’s the days that you notice your clothes starting to fit better or people complimenting you on how great you’re looking that really help you push through it.

Kate
    February 28, 2013 at 11:17 am

I can add to that list of folks that know this struggle. I’ve been on diets and weight loss plans and fitness regimes for many many years. Solidly 10 years of really trying and then losing focus – gaining all the weight back and then trying again. It’s so hard to keep the momentum up. Especially when you plateau and feel like doing it all right isn’t working anymore. Thanks for sharing your struggle – I am sure that is not easy. Hang in there.

Melinda
    February 28, 2013 at 11:25 am

I totally relate! I started WW (again) a year ago and I am 10 pounds down. I did have some medical issues that came up, but I also struggled quite a bit in that time. I just wrote in my blog about this yesterday–we all struggle….and that what is makes you an inspiration to others.

Jen@HealthyFoodandFamily
    February 28, 2013 at 11:40 am

You are not alone!!! Losing weight is such a long, stressful, hard journey, but it’s SO worth it. Keep fighting the fight, you have a lot of people supporting you ๐Ÿ™‚

Brooke
    February 28, 2013 at 12:42 pm

Kenlie, I haven’t in the past done the Making Friends Monday b/c I didn’t want to share my blog with everyone. The few haters that I had at the beginning were enough to scare me away from addressing my topic of being fat and move towards fashion. But the other day I broke down and posted a blog not just about being fat in general, but about me being fat. It felt good. Some may not agree with what I say, but that’s okay. And I might invite some of your haters over to my blog, but I feel like my post is relevant to what you are feeling…

Julia
    February 28, 2013 at 1:30 pm

You are definitely not the only one! We all have our struggles and, while I’m no expert, I think the solution is to find what works for you. One person will lose a ton of weight on Weight Watchers while the next will only manage to lose 5 pounds. Neither person is right or wrong….it’s just people being individuals.

To the ‘always skinny’ people I think weight loss appears to be much more cut and dry than it actually is.

But, regardless of how big or small your goal is its attainable…just gotta find your path. ๐Ÿ™‚

Julie
    February 28, 2013 at 1:54 pm

I’m right there with ya. It is a daily struggle. I try and remember that I will be fighting the weight loss for the rest of my life, as there’s no hurry. As long as I’m working towards my goal, it’s all good. My hardest part is keeping motivated. There are days I’m doing great. Then there are other days I wonder where my mojo went.

Anita Elmore
    February 28, 2013 at 6:22 pm

Oh honey, you are so NOT ALONE! And I can totally relate to just wanting to know that someone out there is facing challenges as big as yours….and trust me, someone is, because I am! And finding your blog has really been a blessing for me. Keep your chin up sweetie! โ™ฅ

Tracy @ My Tiny Tank.net
    February 28, 2013 at 6:37 pm

Hi Kenlie, once I realized that my goal was NOT at the end of the tunnel I started to feel more accepting of my journey. You see the light you can see at the end of the tunnel is the end of the tunnel which opens up to the open road which keeps going. I’ve found that losing weight then turns into maintaining your weight and this is a life long journey. So yes, I’ve started at it but only recently realized that it is a life journey. I helt relieved. Now I try to give myself small incremental goals to keep me moving in the right direction. Keep going. It’s your life and it’s worth it.

Janice - The Fitness Cheerleader
    February 28, 2013 at 6:38 pm

I don’t believe there is an end to the tunnel. This is a journey and to be healthy we need to elevate our heart rates for at least 30min/day and eat veggies, drink water, get enough sleep etc. I’ve found that as soon as I realised that I stopped feeling like I was in a tunnel trying to reach some end that may never happen. Hugs!

Kenneth
    February 28, 2013 at 9:10 pm

Every single day is a struggle; you are SO not alone. So many of us are on the same journey and we know what you are going through. Lately when I’m struggling, it’s so helpful to read my blog friend’s posts…I notice that they are either struggling or having an inspiring week and it affects me in so many good ways. Lean on us. Your blog has inspired me in so many ways. It took me 15 months to lose 51lbs…it doesn’t matter how long it takes, it’s just important theat every day we do something, anything to be healthy. We are on our way; we can do this!!

Jenn
      February 28, 2013 at 9:12 pm

Lol Autocorrect changed my name to Kenneth; I can assure you I am really Jenn ๐Ÿ™‚

Gail
    February 28, 2013 at 10:42 pm

Girlfriend, I am so there with you! Why do you think I’m so looking forward to my colonoscopy? At least I know a few pounds will come off. Never, ever, ever give up. It’s going to happen.

March 1, 2013 at 7:29 pm

You are so funny, Gail! ๐Ÿ™‚ I won’t give up…Good luck with the colonoscopy!

Marie Hahn
    March 1, 2013 at 10:36 am

OMG right now I could put my face in the Frito Feedbag! I’m stressed (new job and a fair number of mistakes on a legal doc from me AND the bank I deal with) and it’s snowballing. I use stress as an excuse to be a couch slug and eat a path through Richmond. Right now I’m in the “I don’t give a damn” phase of my journey. Six years out, gained back 30 from 50, and still punishing myself. I can’t (or don’t want to?) just put me first and cruise the rules. You are SO not alone! I’m right there with ya, sistah!

Marie Hahn
    March 1, 2013 at 10:37 am

Make that gained back 30 from an original loss of 80…

s.
    March 1, 2013 at 11:16 am

i just keep gaining and its so incredibly awful. i work out and im a vegan but its been terrible. i dont have a massive amount to lose but i just feel like i keep getting fatter instead of the scale going the other way.

March 1, 2013 at 7:31 pm

That sucks. It sounds like it isn’t really easy for most of us..if any. Hang in there!

Becky Martinez-Goyette
    March 1, 2013 at 11:38 am

Do not sell yourself short of all that you have accomplished. Life happens, the important thing is that we gave not given up and we have made so many small changes that have become part of our lifestyle that have stuck even if the weight loss as stopped, slowed, or gone in the wrong direction. I remember one of my favortie teachers telling me in the third grade…if life was fair, we would all be rich and beautiful without any effort at all. Life is not fair, some people can eat what they want and be thin, others have to really work for it. In 2011 I joined WW weighing in at 298 pounds and by the end of the year had lost 83 pounds…I did not do well over the holidays and had gained 5 pounds between Christmas and New Years. In January of 2012 my dad had a stroke, in June my mom stopped driving. In November, my dad fell and had to be hospitalized for two weeks and in the middle of that, my mom fell. In November I reluctantly quit the gym due to lack of time. I have become the sole caregiver for both of my parents (I have 5 siblings who don’t even call). I have a husband, a 16 year old son and a 9 year old daughter. Too much happened to fast and I just couldn’t keep up with taking care of me, and by the end of 2012 I had gained back 20 pounds. I continued to go to my WW meetings and watch the scale go down one week only to go up the next. My daughter just started track and I walk for over an hour at her practices 4 nights a week. Since I have not been going to the gym, I try and get a 3-6 mile walk in every morning. Even though I weigh what I did last year at this time, I can walk faster, breathe normally, and I even RAN the bleachers the other night. I switched my WW membership to online because her meets interfere with my meetings and dr appts and life prevent me from going another day. The difference in $ has allowed me to rejoin the gym and I am going back Monday. Yesterday I put my foot down and decided that the mornings will be mine. I will still get everyone taken care of, but I refuse to let any appts or anything else get in the way of “my” time for “me”. I love to exercise…it clears my head, helps me eat better, and gives my body what it needs. Our weight loss journeys will never be over because even when we reach goal we will still be on a journey to maintain our weightloss and good health. Please don’t think that your lack of progress on the scale changes how wonderful and inspirational you are! You have many fans, including me!

Amanda
    March 1, 2013 at 12:26 pm

Oh, friend…

you are definitely not the only one! I have gained 20 pounds back from my original 80 pound loss. I recently quit Weight Watchers (as in this week) due to budget shifts and bills that I need to pay. I’ve started MFP this week and I’m enjoying it because I have several friends who use it as well.

I will be 33 in 27 days. I have 55 more pounds to go. I want to run a half marathon this year. Hopefully this is the year of me where I figure out how this works and keep it off. I don’t want to gain everything I lost back.

Eric Van De Ven
      March 1, 2013 at 12:36 pm

Amanda,
      I run half marathons, Disney Wine and Dine, A1A half, and am actually training for the 2015 Boston Marathon. My wife also runs half marathons.

If you train to run a half marathon, I would suggest the Jeff Galloway system. When you start training, the weight will start to come off. I recommend the Jeff Galloway system as the goal is to finish whatever race you enter, and most important of all, not to hurt yourself doing it.

I can’t say how much weight my wife has lost, sworn to secrecy, but, since she has started running, she not only has lost weight, but feels much better.

You are still young, that is an advantage!

If you want any help, just contact me or read my blog.

Amanda
        March 1, 2013 at 1:00 pm

I did find that when I ran before (I’ve done a few 5ks and 4 mile runs) I lost a lot more weight. I also felt better. I quit and now I just need to get back to it.

Eric Van De Ven
          March 1, 2013 at 1:12 pm

In that case, some free advise. Find a race that is fun to run. My first race was the Disney Tower of Terror 10 mile race. Set the goal so you finish the race. Don’t worry about time or anything else. You will stay motivated that way.

There is a big difference between a 5K, 10 mile, and a half marathon. I trained for two years for the Disney Tower of Terror race due to first, a torn calf muscle which ruined year one of training, followed by a broken bone spur in my foot, 7 weeks before the race. I still ran the race and at a fairly decent pace.

Each race I have managed to trim 15 minutes off of the previous run. For me, now, running five miles is when I start to get warmed up! ๐Ÿ™‚

Just a little about me, I am 52 years old, have had 5 knee surgeries, including ACL reconstruction, the aforementioned broken bone spur, and most recently, right shoulder reconstruction.

If I can do it, almost anyone can!

Good Luck to you and all the others who are trying to lose weight!

March 1, 2013 at 7:32 pm

I’m on MFP as well, and we need to connect! I’ll be 33 soon too, and we are both strong and awesome. Keep trying….!

Katie J
    March 1, 2013 at 1:21 pm

You definitely aren’t the only one. I struggle too and I have for years. I’m finally ready to lose the weight, but it isn’t easy! It is a long and often frustrating journey!

MB
    March 1, 2013 at 2:03 pm

I believe in you! It is a struggle for almost everyone. I’d rather still be struggling to lose than having gotten to goal only to regain (AGAIN!!!). Keepthe faith you will get there. It is all about the journey, right?

March 1, 2013 at 7:30 pm

Yep..excellent point, MB….

Brandy
    March 1, 2013 at 7:05 pm

You’re definitely not the only one!

I am on a similar journey, I lost 90 pounds in 2011 and early 2012, and then gained back 60 of it, and am working to lose it again, plus some more.

It’s a hard thing to do, and it takes constant attention until it becomes a lifestyle change, but I have every confidence you can do it!

Brandy

Angela @ Honey, I Shrunk the Mom
    March 1, 2013 at 7:42 pm

I am not giving up on you! More importantly though, is that YOU aren’t giving up on you. Sure, you might slip backwards once in awhile but you get back up and try again. That says SO much! Keep your head up. Keep your eye on the prize. You’ll get there some day.

Weight issues are 98% mental. They really, really are.

I’m still cheering you on!

team dad
    March 1, 2013 at 11:36 pm

You are never alone in your journey,
    Though you may sometimes forget,
    There are many on your side,
    Who face the same challenges,fears and regrets.
    It’s knowing that you are not alone,
    That gives you ALL, the hope, the courage and the inspiration to go on and persevere.
    Know this, if there were no others, God and Dad are on your side, we are always there.

treasa
    March 2, 2013 at 2:43 pm

You are not alone. I have started and quit so many times it is unreal. I am once again starting. I am easily discouraged but I have been reading your blog and several others for a few months. You are all inspiring! I am looking forward to participating in your Friends Making Mondays. I am starting Monday. ๐Ÿ™‚

Shelladawn
    March 2, 2013 at 6:07 pm

I think most people struggle, and that unfortunately is life. The difference is we are continuing to pick ourselves up and keep going and not giving up completely. We will get there, we are taking the back roads and scenic route instead of roaring down the highway! Love from Australia.

Nina
    March 2, 2013 at 10:43 pm

Hi Kenlie!

I totally believe in you and I need you to keep going! I need to pick myself up too … I really want to rock this thing. I think we have a lot in common – I am doing well at work and school … but despite working hard and seeing success, I can’t seem to win at the weight game. I lost ~ 80lbs, and I’ve had hard year and put back on 50! I just really want to get it gone for good so I can do things like travel and ski again! I am right there with you, and your blog means a lot to me.

XOXO,
    Nina

Denise
    March 3, 2013 at 9:14 pm

No, you are by no means alone! I too struggle sometimes hourly to see even a pinhole of light atthe end of the tunnel. However I do get some motivation from others like you who have not given up the fight. I have faith in you and I do believe that sooner or later you will reach your goal as will I some day! Keep up the great work and it will happen! We’ll be here either way! Thanks, Kenlie

Dan P.
    March 3, 2013 at 10:43 pm

There are lots of us who can relate to your message. I struggled with my weight for so long and I know how it can feel like you’re always doing it alone. There are lots of readers here who share your journey. Good Luck. I hope you achieve your goals.

Patty
    March 4, 2013 at 10:53 am

You are most definitely not alone. I have lost 20lbs and that’s it. I still need to lost about 50 more but my body is in true maintenance mode. I know its because of the hormone issue I am getting check out but its frustrating and hard. I sometimes feel like what’s the point but mostly I’m thankful I lost at least that much. Every day I try to better choices and move forward…that’s all we can do with our journey in life and weight loss. Keep going strong…you inspire me! ๐Ÿ™‚ xoxo