weight loss

Kenlie’s 90 Days of Change: High Protein Foods

I’m determined to take steps toward my goal this year, and I’ve decided that what I need is to get radical.  I don’t mean that I’m going to do or eat anything crazy, but I going to spend the next 90 days restricting myself in a way that I have not in the past.

It is important to point out that I know some things about weight-loss, but there’s so much more to learn.  My goal is to substantially increase my protein intake, eating about 120 grams or more) while putting some major limits on sugar.  I’ll probably eat things that contain sugar at some point over the next 90 days, but I eat it every single day, and yeah..yeah…I know that isn’t going to cut it.

I ate oatmeal for breakfast this morning because it’s quick, easy and delicious.  It’s loaded with vitamins and nutrition, and it can help reduce cholesterol and late morning cravings.  I also “fried” eggs in a skillet of water.  Lance walked me through that process, and it was easy.  (Thanks, bro.;) Ha..)

For lunch, I was on-the-go, so I brought it with me.  I packed 6 oz of cooked shrimp that I could eat cold, chicken breast and a boiled egg.  The chicken was gross so I skipped it, but I liked the rest.

I’ve been out of town for a week so I will load up on high-protein foods and vegetables when I hit the supermarket tonight.  I already have shrimp and chicken.   I’m trying to stay away from nuts for the most part because I don’t need to consume more than an ounce a day, but what else would you add to my list of high protein foods?

• tilapia
  • eggs
  • Greek Yogurt (I need some new toppings!)
  • chicken
  • romaine lettuce
  • cauliflower
  • cucumbers
  • shrimp
  • pistachios
  • sugar snap peas
  • edamame
  • turkey breast
  • fresh sweet potatoes

I don’t eat a lot of bread, pasta or rice, but I’ll allow myself to have a 100(ish) calorie pita or bagel flat if it works well with the meal.  If I eat rice, it’s usually half a cup of brown, but I haven’t decided if I’ll eat that or not now.

My 90 day process won’t be complicated, but I think it will work.  I’m excited to have more direction when Project H.O.P.E. arrives in the mail, but I’m not waiting to make good choices.  It starts today.  I’ve decided to that I’d rather feel dramatic and miserable about not eating sweets instead of feeling dramatic and miserable because the scale isn’t moving in the right direction, or because I’m embarrassed that I haven’t made progress.

This is personal.  In my mind, the next 90 days will be all about making choices that might feel selfish, but I need to find my confidence again.   I need to make my health the biggest priority in my life long enough to feel like I’ve created a new habit so here it goes…

I asked earlier in this post, but I would love to hear your high protein and clean food suggestions.  Do you pay attention to the amount of protein you’re taking in?  Do you eat enough protein everyday?

Melinda
    February 21, 2013 at 7:55 pm

I’m not trying to up my protein, but it is happening anyway. Because of other (non weight-related issues), I’ve decided to cut wheat out of my diet…and protein has filled some of the gaps. The truth is that I feel great! I’m still doing Weight Watchers, but the two are working well together.

Eric Van De Ven
    February 21, 2013 at 7:57 pm

My high protein diet is the Atkins diet. Having a gluten issue, it has been the best diet for me.
    I have been following you for over a year I think, and the one piece of advice I can give you, is to eat what you like, make it fit into your diet. Take those items and make a presentable meal with them.

Jessica
    February 21, 2013 at 7:58 pm

Can you do Hummus? I LOVE Sabra Supremely Spicy- we go through tons of that here.. with carrots, cukes and celery. I buy bags of frozen mixed berries for my yogurt. Pour some of the berries- no sugar added!- and top with yogurt.. by the time the berries are semi defrosted they create a natural saucy-syrup that helps flavor the dish. I till toss some grape nuts or fiber one on top for a little crunch too!

Tammy
    February 21, 2013 at 8:31 pm

Have you tried quinoa? It is a high-protein grain that you could use instead of rice. Maybe some peanut butter – it can add be a portable snack. I think I get enough protein, but I don’t really track it. I know that too much of it is hard on the kidneys.

Rachel R.
    February 21, 2013 at 9:31 pm

As a new-ish vegetarian, I struggle with protein, too. Eggs (already on your list, sorry) are my go to. I actually often put an egg IN my oatmeal – just stir in a whisked egg when the liquid is almost all absorbed – makes your oatmeal very rich and VERY filling. Add a tablespoon of almond butter, and you’ve got about 16 grams of protein and a yummy breakfast!

Christie
    February 21, 2013 at 10:32 pm

I have been doing the 17 day diet. It is four seventeen day cycles. It slowly adds carbs back into ur diet. I am diabetic and my sugar levels have really been lowered. I started January 8 and currently lost 27.2 lbs. It sounds exactly like what you may like. My moms doctor recommended it. You do not have to way or measure the first 17 days. It is a good jump start. Good luck with what ever route you take. Weight loss is hard. I have battled my whole life. Keep your chin up…you are an inspiration to a lot of people….. 🙂

Ashley
    February 22, 2013 at 2:54 am

I love the buffalo jerky from Trader Joes…it’s a great snack to have in your purse just in case. Yes, I am the girl who carries meat in her purse…

Karen
    February 22, 2013 at 7:21 am

Chickpeas, Hummus & black beans come to mind.

Try draining and rinsing the Chick peas and broiling them in the oven or in a frying pan seasoned with SP & chili powder. Great snack

Sarah R
    February 22, 2013 at 7:49 am

One of my favorite protein snacks are sunflower seeds. I also like to eat cheese. I’ll buy a block and cut into equal pieces. And for when I have a sweet tooth going (I’m a type 2 diabetic desperately trying to avoid sugar!) I use Mio flavoring in my water. I feel like I’m getting a glass of Kool Aid which the 8 year old in me wants, but still getting enough fluid in humid Florida.

Reesie8
    February 22, 2013 at 8:01 am

Hi Kenlie, normally I don’t just suggest this to someone-especailly if they’re not ready for it, but since you are already considering something like this I strongly recommend you research Whole30 and the book “It Starts With Food”. This is a method that looks at the food we eat as a full body treatment (emotional attachment to food, leaky gut, sugar addiction, etc). I’m not an expert on this at all…but I’m currently doing a Whole30 and am amazed by just how much I’ve learned about myself and also how far it has gone to help me with issues like sugar addiction and emotional eating (I’m currently about 80 pounds overweight and am a recovering bulimic).

If you decide to try the technique (which is 30 days long) I suggest reading the book first to get all the right information. The plan is essentially to eliminate all foods that are not healthy for our bodies (both directly and indirectly) and to only eat wholesome foods that have nutrients our bodies can efficiently absorb and get the most nutrients out of.

The method is this:
    -limit your diet (for 30 days) to foods that are nutrient dense (and can actually be absorbed by our bodies). The book has separate chapters for the reasons why the plan includes/removes each food category from the plan.
    -after the 30 days methodically reintroduce foods one at a time and pay attention to how your body responds. Then you decide if that particular food works for your body. (think lactose intolerance or gluten sensitivity-some bodies respond to lactose more negatively than others).

Even if you don’t decide to try a whole30, there are certainly some great suggestions in the book about whole food ideas you can try in your current plan.

Good luck!

Eric Van De Ven
      February 22, 2013 at 8:45 am

You mean someone wrote a book about what I have been saying for over thirty years?! :0

Reesie8
        February 22, 2013 at 7:38 pm

hah!

Jen B
    February 22, 2013 at 9:20 am

I think this is a great idea! So much so, I think I might steal it and do it myself 🙂

Bailey @ Onederland or Bust!
    February 22, 2013 at 11:34 am

I’m currently doing this right now and loosely following the 17 day diet plan.. mostly for ideas. It’s definitely not easy and it takes a lot of prep work, but it certainly shows on the scale! It’s not something I can do for long periods of time, but it helps get the scale moving.

Shannon
    February 22, 2013 at 1:26 pm

Like you, Kenlie, I aim for about 120 grams of protein a day. I eat 4-5 ounces of 1% cottage cheese every morning with breakfast. It’s about 20 grams of protein per serving, and really filling! I throw edamame and feta on my salads. I eat so much chicken that I think I may start clucking. 🙂

I track my food via My Fitness Pal. If you’re still using that, and want to check out my diary for more ideas, it’s open to friends. My user name is Nuccia2012.

Best of luck—you can do this!!!

Karen Walcott
    February 22, 2013 at 5:27 pm

Have you considered Tofu. It’s easy to prepare and to add to any dish for a protein boost. I’m going without sugar until the first day of summer. It’s going to be a challenge but like you I feel the pressing need for progress and the development of healthy habits.

Deb
    February 22, 2013 at 6:22 pm

At the start of this year, I switched back to doing WW Points+ program. I did it before with horrible results, but this time I decided to limit myself to “ugly” carbs only at one meal. If we have bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, its usually at dinner. I’ve also upped my fruit intake and my protein intake via dairy and a seeing good results. Oddly enough most of these changes were easy to implement when I stopped buying bread, and started pushing myself towards more fruits.

Valerie
    February 22, 2013 at 11:05 pm

Ditto what Reesie suggested…I did my first complete Whole30 in January and I felt amazing. What’s more, I felt so good and did it long enough that I didn’t dive head-first into a bowl of ice cream or a pizza (two of my biggest cravings, usually) on Day 31. It’s a fantastic book and really taught me a lot about my body AND my emotions surrounding food.

Cheryl
    February 23, 2013 at 10:34 pm

I read The 4-Hour Body, which is a bit cumbersome and weird but he does recommend a high protein “Slow Carb” diet and in particular he recommends lentils. A cup of cooked lentils has 18 grams of protein. I am planning to start a high protein diet very shortly (we’re in the middle of a move right now). Good luck to you!

Robyn Kichko
    February 24, 2013 at 12:17 pm

Hi,
    I think you are on to something with the increased protein (don’t forget that you need carbs for energy too!). I have a couple of ideas for you;
    I cut my chicken up into bite sized pieces before I cook it with a little Red Palm Oil and a few spices and then I can throw some in a baggie for protein on the go or mix them up with some veggies in a stir fry kind of way.
    I have also recently discovered goat cheese is delicious in salads and a source of protein
    I also put pumkin seeds in my salad or sometimes with my cooked vegetables for added protein.
    All of my other protein ideas have already been mentioned, so good luck to you in your 90 day adventure. I just know that you will feel empowered within the first week.
    I have been following The Plan by Lyn-Genet Recitas for the last 20 days and feel fabulous, it is very similar to the Whole30. All natural foods, figuring out what your body reacts to and what it can thrive on. After a long 3 day cleanse, you test food to see how you react to it and have rest days in between where you eat what you know you won’ t react to. I like it! 🙂

MamaBearJune
    February 24, 2013 at 6:43 pm

Sounds like a great plan. My go-to for protein is almost always a handful of nuts. I’ve had low blood pressure problems, so my doctor recommended keeping salty nuts in my purse whenever I go out. So I use the snack-size zip bags for 1/4c of various salted nuts.