Richard Simmons’ Project HOPE

by Kenlie Tiggeman on February 14, 2013

Earlier this week a reporter from a national news organization e-mailed me to ask about my current weight and the progress I’ve made recently.  It was hard to admit that I didn’t have an awesome update for her, but I told her to check back in a few months because I’ll have something more interesting to say.

I have been trying to figure out how to move forward.  My workouts have been solid so far this year, but my eating has been inconsistent.  Some days I don’t eat enough, and most days I eat too much.  I’ve lacked direction for well over a year, but in my heart I still believe that I can do this.  And last night I decided to commit to 90 days of healthy eating and exercising. That won’t take me to my goal, but right now inching forward would be enough.

If you read my blog often, you know that I absolutely adore Richard Simmons, and over the last couple of years I’ve had the opportunity to sweat at Slimmons.  His workouts are intense, but they’re also so much fun!  I’ve never enjoyed working out as much as when I’m working out with Richard which is why “Party Off the Pounds” has been my favorite workout DVD since I purchased it in 2010.

RandMe

Now Richard has launched a 90-day progressive system called Project HOPE.  I recorded the infomercial because I was curious and because my pal, KeepItUpDavid, is featured in it.  He has lost 165 pounds with Richard, and if you go to his blog, you’ll learn that every part of his life has been affected for the better.

Last night when I came home I skipped watching White Collar and watched Richard’s infomercial instead, and  before it was over I had purchased the 90-day plan.

richard

I know that I need help, and I know that I need to get a grip on my food habits.  I do well for a few days, but I lack the consistency that I once had.  I lack the confidence and the hope that I used to know would take me to my ultimate goal.  I know that I need to have faith in myself, but I have struggled to find it.

In order to lose weight I need to believe that I can regain control over my food choices.  I need to feel hope again, and Richard has given it to people around the world for almost 40 years.  I own many of his workout DVD’s, but this new program offers more than that.  In addition to several workouts, I will also receive a food plan and recipes that are satisfying, filling and nutritious.  Working out can be fun, and I’m looking forward to enjoying healthy foods too.

Getting to my ultimate goal still feels nearly impossible, but I do believe that I can make significant improvements over 90 days with Richard’s workout and Food Mover programs.  I’ve gotten better at eating at home, and with some direction and a short-term goal, I think I will find success.  And one thing I’ve learned is that success breeds more success.

I know that while Richard can provide the tools, I will have to make the effort to move forward myself.  Ninety days won’t take me to a healthy weight, but it will take me a lot closer to my goal than I’ve been in a long, long time.

{ 17 comments… read them below or add one }

Arlene @ Adventures in Weight Loss February 14, 2013 at 3:14 am

I’ve been there. Most of last fall through the holidays, I was having trouble committing to anything … perhaps it was a case of diet fatigue. I dabbled with paleo eating, then tried to go back to low-carb, but wasn’t really doing anything wholeheartedly. Finally, on Jan. 1, I rejoined Weight Watchers and am now back down 20 pounds — though I’m kicking myself for getting back up to nearly 250 pounds. If Richard’s plan will give you the oomph to get started again, embrace it.

Karen P February 14, 2013 at 7:39 am

Good luck. Stay on track. Careful choices to avoid trigger foods. Onward.

Joan February 14, 2013 at 10:08 am

Well, then I will do the same; and see where I will be in 90 days. Love you. MOM We can do this, you have been doing this for a long time and reaching goals a little at a time at your own pace. Whether you realize it or not, your reaching your goal in your own time and way. I am proud of what you have accomplish and I know you will reach the goal your looking for. Love you MOM!

Valerie February 14, 2013 at 11:00 am

Kenlie, I believe in you and I know you can do this. Sometimes the road takes twists, turns, and switchbacks that we don’t expect when we set out. But the destination remains the same regardless of the detours. Stay the course, know you are capable and WORTH IT, and we will be here cheering you on towards your goals!

Sarah February 14, 2013 at 1:16 pm

Good For You!
You are such an inspiration!

tammy c February 14, 2013 at 3:42 pm

Good Luck–I’ll have to check it out too. I love him too! He is a special person and I got to meet him once too at the MOA.

Steph February 14, 2013 at 4:12 pm

Thanks Kenlie!! You always say the things that I need to hear. I saw the tail end of the infomercial, but your endorsement just prompted me to order. I haven’t given anything a fair try in over a year, and I am miserable. I love Richard, and 90 days??? I need to and WILL make that commitment with you! My order is placed – and I hope it ships soon.

Steph

Kenlie February 15, 2013 at 3:32 am

This is really exciting news! I’m so happy to hear it.

Keep It Up, David February 14, 2013 at 8:18 pm

Just saw this post, Kenlie – super excited that you’ve committed to Project H.O.P.E. – you’ll see a lot of familiar faces from Slimmons in the DVDs, too! And thanks for the shout-out and links – thrilled you recorded the infomercial! Hope this finds you well. Can’t wait to hear what you think of Project H.O.P.E.!

Kenlie February 15, 2013 at 3:31 am

It’s impossible to see your face and not feel motivated to start moving toward a healthy life, David. Seeing you on TV reminded me of the times I saw you share your struggles and victories. I know it’s real, and I know it’s possible. Thank you…

Abigail February 14, 2013 at 9:44 pm

So excited for you! Can’t wait to hear how it works for you, maybe I’ll get it for myself!

Jen@HealthyFoodandFamily February 17, 2013 at 1:52 pm

Good luck to you! Just take it one day at a time!!!!

Bella February 20, 2013 at 1:05 pm

I’m a bit behind in my blog reading, so forgive this late reply. I am really thrilled for you. It sounds like a program that will really work for you, especially because you sound so excited about it, and being engaged is half the battle.

I can read so much of myself in your post, especially in the inconsistency and what I call a “lack of willpower” (speaking about myself). I’ve struggled with it for YEARS, but recently I had a complete turnaround.

One suggestion I have for you, which is what changed things for me, is finding a true “diet buddy.” I know “diet” is a 4-letter word, and that we’re all aiming for lifestyle changes, but beyond the semantics, I mean finding someone who lives near you with stats similar to yours, whom you can use to push you. When I see that my diet buddy just burned x number of calories on the treadmill that morning, you can bet that I’m going to head to the gym to get my own calorie burn on. When she sees that I’ve diligently logged my food into MyFitnessPal, you can bet that she’s going to take a few minutes and log all of hers, too. We’ve got a healthy competition with each other, but one that helps each of us achieve our individual goals, not one where we’re comparing each other in a negative way. When I’m struggling or feeling panicky about food cravings, I know I can text her at any time of the day or night, and that she’ll “talk me down.” We even meet up for workouts whenever our schedules allow, which is about once a week. All the other days, just knowing that she’s on her game keeps me on mine. I’ve had a lot of “cyber buddies” in my time writing my blog, but there’s something about having a true, IRL person that I can sweat next to that has made all the difference.

I just thought I’d share this with you, because it really has helped me more than I can express.

Michelle March 3, 2013 at 8:08 am

I am looking for something that can keep me motivated! I dont have anyone to workout with, my daughter and husband dont seem to have any motivation to workout. I am hoping if I can get motivated they will follow me. It makes it a little more challenging for me to stay motivated but I need too!! I need to lose around 120 pds and I am 41 years old and need to make a change to get healthy!!

Christine April 5, 2013 at 11:01 pm

I am wondering if you are using this program and if so how you like it? I can’t seem to find any follow up posts. Thanks!

Lilian parry April 6, 2013 at 11:47 pm

I have started project hope with my mom this week. Good luck with your weight loss journey! I am glad to have stumbed upon you blog . Keep us updated …:)

Terri May 1, 2013 at 3:50 pm

I too am wondering how you like the newest Richard Simmons plan. Are you still using this plan?
If so, I have a few questions for ya.
~ What do you think about the Foodmover?
~ How’s all of the guides? Are the meal plans practical and easy to follow?
~ Is it a waste of money? I’m a stay at home mom of two and would hate to waste my money on something that isn’t great :-/