Emotions Exercise Lifestyle Reflection Weigh-In weight loss Weight Watchers

Finding Balance

After reading comments from a few of you on my last post, I suppose I need to clear up a few things.  First, if you’re a regular here, then you already know that it’s been quite some time since I’ve had a boyfriend.  Yes…I’ve dated guys – some of whom I’ve mentioned on my blog, and some who have never been mentioned here.  I love talking about dating and things associated with that because it’s a fun topic, but I do hold back at times in which I think it’s appropriate.

I made a decision recently to not mention anything about dating for a while because a few folks felt it was necessary to share their opinions on my choices privately.  I appreciate the concerns that some of you have had at various times, but it also makes me feel uncomfortable in ways that it would not if I simply didn’t post.

As a blogger, it’s hard to find a balance between what I should and should not say because I feel so close to some of you.  I want to share every giddy detail, but experience has taught me that it’s not always a good idea.  My post yesterday was just something that has been on my mind at various points, but I’m not actively looking for a relationship now.  I do date, and if you’re friends with me on social media sites, you’re likely to hear about that once in a while.

My decision to refrain from discussing it here just happened organically when I realized that I’m not comfortable explaining what I like and don’t like when it comes to specific people.  I’ve dated a few great guys in the last year, and it is likely that I’ll continue to date.  I just don’t plan to discuss as freely here because there’s enough fuel for judgment already.  And to answer more directly, nothing horrible happened with Lance that made me never want to talk to him again or something.  I’m just content to keep our beeswax offline.

So many of you choose to believe in me even when I don’t believe in myself, and I don’t take that for granted.  Right now, my biggest focus (on and off of the web) is to lose weight.  I want to show you all that I can do it, and I really want to show myself that I can do it.   It is my top priority now.

Last week, I rejoined Weight Watchers, and I weighed 6.4 pounds less yesterday at weigh-in.  My new meeting leader made it clear that she will support and encourage me, and that she will not accept excuses. She’s said it’s not about perfection, but it is about consistency.   That’s the kind of accountability I need.  I just came in from another killer workout with my personal trainer, Ron, too, and I’m focusing on myself and my goals.

WW Week 2

Dating and love certainly play a role in my life and what I want in it, but for now, I’ll talk about that offline so I can focus on the things that I originally talked about here.  In September, I wrote a post called “Let’s Not Call This A Weight-Loss Blog Anymore” because I got tired of trying and failing, but guess what, folks.  Not facing my battles and continually fighting, failing, succeeding, falling again, etc. is so much worse than simply not facing it.

There will still be a lot to talk about here so I’m going to focus on some specific things for a while – fitness, weight-loss, loving myself and not making excuses.  If I find myself in a serious, committed relationship, I’ll let you know 🙂 .  Until then, let’s focus on what’s really most important here….

Patricia
    March 22, 2013 at 7:18 pm

Personal life means personal. Some things you just need to keep close to your heart. From my own experience the less said the better. Everyone has an opinion what is best for you. Only YOU can (or should) make that decision. When you do meet that someone special (you will) you BOTH need to make the decision about what will or will not be printed about your relationship on line.

Dad
      March 23, 2013 at 1:56 am

Well said.

mary
    March 22, 2013 at 11:10 pm

nothing but love for you kenlie. 🙂

Dad
    March 23, 2013 at 1:55 am

Beeswax? Haven’t heaed that word since Col. Potter used it on an episode of Mash.

March 23, 2013 at 3:29 am

Dad, this comment is hilarious right now because I just wrote Friend Makin’ Mondays for the next couple of weeks, and I referenced Mash. I said that I hated going to sleep, and I rarely did until Mash was over after the evening news and you turned the TV off. 🙂

Jodi @ Jodi, Fat or Not
    March 23, 2013 at 9:33 am

I’ve always loved reading your blog because of its honesty and I’m excited to follow along as you take on weight watchers – good luck!

Robyn
    March 23, 2013 at 1:17 pm

That is a great first week weigh in!!! Keep up the good work- it always makes a difference when you have someone you trust to hold you accountable 🙂

Susan
    March 23, 2013 at 1:55 pm

I have lurked your blog for a couple of years now and never commented, but I think it’s time for me to step up to the plate and tell you how awesome I think you are and what an inspiration you are to me. As Mary said, nothing but love to you, kiddo. Oh, and you have have fans of all ages. I’m 64.

Tracy @ My Tiny Tank.net
    March 24, 2013 at 3:09 pm

Hi Kenlie, this was a great blog post. And as a blogger we sometimes reveal just a little bit too much information… or at least I do sometimes. Blogging helps me to process the “other” stuff that has been part of my weight loss journey. habits, honesty and other stuff. It’s your blog and you get to do what’s right for you, when it’s right for you. I’m going to keep reading. And btw way, ROCK’N weigh in!!

Emily
    March 24, 2013 at 7:42 pm

Kenlie:

I’m a long time reader and I applaud you for being honest with yourself and starting again. Just take things one day at a time.

While I have never had a significant weight problem, I definitely have struggled with issues significant around food, and I, too, am just dusting myself off and trying to get real after a long period of denial. You can totally do this.

Lisa
    March 24, 2013 at 9:29 pm

My favorite quote of all times is by RuPaul – “If you can’t love yourself, how in the hell you gonna love someone else?”. You are young and it’s perfectly OK to put yourself first and get to where you want to be.

Way to kick butt on the weigh in!