A Breakfast Question For You…

I’m still not feeling 100%, but I felt good enough for some treadmill intervals yesterday.  There’s more cardio on the agenda this morning too, but I’m making breakfast first.

Most of us agree that breakfast is the undisputed meal of champions, right?  We know that we’re supposed to eat it to get our day off to a good start.

My question today is:

What do you eat for breakfast?  Do you eat the same thing everyday, or do you change it up?

I’m going through an oatmeal and boiled egg phase right now.  The oatmeal and added protein helps me feel satisfied all morning.

20130430_104632

What about you?  What are you eating?

31 thoughts on “A Breakfast Question For You…

1. Peg

I go for the low fat waffles and a WW Smoothie. I make the WW smoothie into a Frappe by adding 1 teaspoon of instant coffee to the chocolate or vanilla flavored smoothies

2. Dacia

Since I typically make up a big batch of steel cut oats in the crockpot and freeze it in individual portions I normally eat the same thing for one-two weeks. Then I’ll change it up and eat something new for another week or two. So I am still kind of a creature of habit but I still like to change it up every couple weeks 🙂

3. Tammy

Lately, I’ve been eating oatmeal, 1 turkey sausage patty, and a cup of skim milk. This morning I was bored with that, so I had some scrambled Egg Beaters, 2 turkey patties, and 1 cup of milk with a chocolate no sugar-added Instant Breakfast mixed into it. Lots of protein, and I’ve been fuller than usual.

4. Amanda

I eat a lot of green smoothies. I’m venturing toward eating gluten-free so it’s been interesting as I determine what I’m going to eat for breakfast.

5. Jill

Lately it’s been fruit smoothies with some extra protein powder thrown in! On weekends usually some eggs with leftover veggies (red peppers, mushrooms, etc) and cheese.

1. Kenlie Post author

I need to incorporate omelets more often. I love them, and they don’t take much longer than oatmeal. Great idea.

6. Ryan

I’m lame, I eat the same thing everyday for breakfast… A cut up banana, a cut up granny smith apple, a handful of almonds, all in a bowl, sprinkled with ovaltine… I used to sometimes have smoothies for breakfast but the maid broke the caraffe so no more smoothies for me… :-/

7. Shell Baker

At the moment it is omelettes most days because I am trying to rid my system of the immense amount of sugar I was putting into it. I am also a big fan of granola and yogurt, or porridge.

8. Steelers6

I alternate between egg white veggie omelettes
    & plain oatmeal with homemade unsweetened
    applesauce in it. (For my green veggie I mix it up
    among broccoli, spinach, or asparagus.)
    Sometimes I have turkey bacon with my omelet.

ps–@Ryan–I broke my glass blender pitcher too,
    (it was new; never even got to use it!) & I was able
    to get just the pitcher online. If you saved the
    works you might want to check that out.
    Chrissy

1. Ryan

Thanks for the suggestion. The cost/logistics of getting it to Rwanda, where I am, usually makes things more difficult than just buying a new one already here.

9. Reducing Rachel

Lately I have been addicted to having a greek yogurt ( Oikos Coffee flavored is da bomb (da bomb is back right?)) with a packet of dry roasted almonds and some kind of fruit. To me its portable, easy and I dont have to cook it that morning but if I had all the time in the morning I would likely make a egg and veggie scramble with chicken sausage.

10. JoAnn

I rotate 3 basic choices: all are about 4 to 6 points.
    2 scrambled eggs and a cup of some kind of fruit

1 cup cooked oat meal with 1/2 cup blueberries 1/2 cup almond milk

green smoothie -with 1 cup vanilla unsweetened almond milk, spinach, protein powder, 1 c. frozen pineapple., 1/2 frozen banana

I like to use Unsweetened Almond Plus™ 5X protein

If I wake up hungrier than usual I go for the oatmeal. It’s the most satisfying for me.

11. Patricia

I drink a large glass of water when I rise. After I shower I have two scrambled eggs made with a little water, not milk, and a little butter in the frying pan. I also eat 1/2 avocado with the eggs. There is something about the combination of eggs and avocado that is very filling. I usually drink a large glass of water after each meal/snack.
    The avocado works well with fish also.

12. Richard

I can’t go without breakfast. I know when I’ve skipped it. My mind feels foggy and my energy levels drop. I don’t know how some people go without it, or just a cup of coffee. The whole idea of breakfast is exactly what it says “Break – Fast”.

13. Dre (Mission Meltdown)

I’ve been struggling with finding the time in the morning to eat breakfast (really bad, I know). When I do things the way I like to, I drink 16 ounces of water when I wake up. My food preference is oatmeal, two full eggs and two egg whites. I also love spinach shakes (handful of spinach, almond milk, all natural peanut butter, vanilla whey protein, ice, and half a banana). Both are very filling.

14. Em

I tend to either eat leftovers for breakfast, or make breakfasts in bulk. For the last several days, I’ve been eating a kind of crustless quiche/frittata: a custard (eggs, cream, and parmesan cheese, heaviest on the eggs but still a tender custard as opposed to a frittata, which can get a little rubbery if it’s in the fridge more than a day or so) with onions, mushrooms, and green beans. It’s great: tasty, filling, nutritious, and easy.

15. Michelle @The Running Jewess

I typically eat greek yogurt and granola with some sort of fruit. Sometimes I switch it up to cottage cheese for the added protein (with a banana it actually taste quite good). I typically change it up every other week, but haven’t been feeling too exotic lately. Now if only I had a man to make me an omelette every once in a while…

16. marla

Pb&j on bagel
    Apple pie oatmeaL
    Alotta frittata
    Very veggie omelet
    Whole grain homemade wattles with fruit salad over top
    Yogurt fruit granola “sundae ”
    Cereal with fruit
    As you can see I like to mix it up!
    (All recipes available on the sparkpeople website listed by title submitted by marmaert)

17. Zan

I go through phases that I change occasionally, at the moment I’m having smoothies because the weather has warmed up. When it’s cold I go for porridge, and in the mean time I have eggs.

18. Robyn Kichko

I make my own granola and usually have it with some fruit and coconut milk. I try to change it up every once and a while with some gluten free rice flakes but the granola is definitely my favorite. 🙂

19. RobinH

Carbs and caffeine of some kind. Usually cold cereal (raisin bran or granola) or oatmeal. Sometimes toast or muffins if I’ve been baking. Eggs if I’m feeling really low energy (if I’ve had a really light and or early evening meal the night before, this can happen). I generally can’t eat a lot first thing when I get up, but I have to have something. I can’t skip (any) meals- I feel unbelievably lousy when I do, and my ability to focus and get work done goes straight into the toilet.

20. Joe

For me I personally change some of the ingredients every week but essentially I have some sort of omelette with toast.

21. Karla

I am SOOO boring, I always have my protein in my coffee, so I guess that is “technically” meal #1 but my meal #2 is always 3 egg whites and steel cut oats. I make the oats in the crock pot and freeze them. I do better with LESS variety

22. Kris

I was tickled reading your email. On most days, including today, I have 1/2 c oatmeal, 2 hard-boiled egg whites (Yolks are too high in cholesterol for me.), and 1 c of skim milk. Yum!

23. Carina

Same thing on all days I go to work at the office (Mon-Thurs) — a smoothie with spinach, frozen fruit, soy milk, chia seeds and protein powder. Sometimes I add a grapefruit or a small bowl of cereal if I’m really hungry, but that’s maybe only 2x/month. I usually do smoothies or cereal on Friday and Saturday, and I usually go out for breakfast with friends after my long run on Sunday — if not, I make something big at home, usually oatmeal, but sometimes a bunch of bowls of cereal.