Emotions Lifestyle Reflection weight loss

“Why Bother Trying To Lose Weight?”

Someone left a sincere comment recently asking why I was beating myself up to be skinny when it seems I am in pretty good shape (you know, apart from the whole obesity part.)  It’s true.   Though I have struggled with food for years, I have also exercised regularly for years, and my heart loves me for it.  My blood pressure, blood sugar, cholesterol, heart rate, etc. is all excellent at this point, and I’d like to keep it that way.

I know that losing weight will prevent many health issues in the future, but there are so many reasons beyond the numbers on my doctor’s chart, that I want to reach a healthy weight.  I could write a list of all of the ways my life has already improved exponentially, but this post isn’t about that.  Instead, I’m going to list as many reasons as I can think of today (in no particular order) in the hopes that the reasons will help me stay motivated on days that I’m not feeling it.

*****

…so I can wear high heels without worrying about twisting my ankles, falling, breaking the heel or my feet hurting after 5 minutes.

_7203911

…so I can ride roller coasters when I go to Disney World later this year.

…so I can board an airplane without worrying that someone is going to think I’m too fat to fly.

…so I can run at a good pace without stopping for miles.

…so  I can feel pretty.  (I know there are some who would call me pretty now, and I sincerely thank you for that.  Right now I’m referring to society, and the more appropriate statement might is “so I can feel normal.”)

…so I can wear a pencil skirt without Spanx.

…so I never again have to worry about being too heavy for a plastic folding chair at a party.

…so I can buy clothes at stores even though they don’t sell plus-sizes.

…so I can do jumping jacks that no longer have to be modified.

…so I can believe it when a man tells me that he thinks I’m sexy.

…so I can walk by small children without having to explain why I’m bigger than other people.

…so I can say, “Sure! Let’s go!” when a friend asks me to go running down St. Charles with her, instead of first reminding her that she runs faster than I do.  (This happened last week, and she’s content to run my pace which is awesome.  I love her for that.)

…so I can fit more comfortably in the desks while I’m in school.  (I would not have come close to fitting into them before, and I love that I can now.  It’s just so tight, and I’d like to know what it’s like to fit in them as intended before I’m done.)

…so I’m no longer the heaviest person in (almost) every room – including my Weight Watchers meeting.

…so I can try roller skating again.  (I loved it as a kid, but I’m afraid to try it now because I’d like to avoid injuries which are higher at this weight than a normal weight.)

…so I can focus more on making healthy choices than feeling like I have to obsess over the scale. (Please don’t tell me not to worry about the numbers on the scale.  When you have 250 pounds to lose from start to finish, you have to face the numbers.)

…so I can walk into a meeting with a potential employer or client without feeling like I am being judged based on my size.

…so I can post an “after picture” on my photos page (and all over my blog.  Who am I kidding? ha)

…so I can prove to myself and everyone else who has ever doubted me, that I’m strong enough to do it.

…so I can look my niece in the eyes someday, tell her that she can do anything she wants to do and have proof to show her.

…so I can set a positive example for the people watching me as I claw my way through this battle that exists within myself.

…so I can do a cartwheel.

…so I can ride 100 miles on my bike in one day if I want to.

…so I am not the slowest person when I’m bar hopping or walking through the park or shopping with friends.

…so it doesn’t matter to me if I sit next to a stranger at a Broadway show, a basketball game or anywhere else.

…so I can spend the afternoon an a paddle boat like I often did as a kid.

fotolia_1227505_XS

…so I can wear tights all day.

…so I can buy a cream colored, wool pea coat, then sit in it while it’s buttoned.

…so I can jump out of a plane.  (I don’t particularly want to do this, but I’d like to know that I can if I’m ever feeling brave enough.)

…so I can swim with dolphins even if it requires a wet suit.

…so I can run on the beach.

…so I can seriously compete in at least one race.

…so I can tell others who are facing a similar battle that they can do it too.

…so I can do some things personally that I’m not comfortable sharing online.

*****

The fact is that there are so many reasons to do this that I couldn’t begin to list them all.  I’m happier, stronger and more flexible than I ever could have imagined before, and I want to know what shedding the rest of this weight will feel like.  I’m quite sure that I can’t imagine what that will be like either so I’m going to start acting like a success.  I’m going to start telling myself that I am healthy and capable until I make it an undeniable truth again.

Why do you want to get fit?  How has your life changed?  How do you believe it will?

Erin
    April 4, 2013 at 12:18 am

I’m not as heavy as you (don’t think I’m bragging, just keep reading) but I want to get thinner for all the same reasons. Which just goes to show you that the numbers on the scale really don’t matter… I’m pushing 230 and I feel as alienated and unhappy with my body as you do. I, however, cannot run or post pics or feel even remotely good about myself. So you’re way ahead of me in many ways. I want to lost 60 lbs. That’s nothing compared to triple digits of weight loss but it’s just as hard for me as it is for you. I really love your blog – you have inspired me. Seriously, thank you. And just for the record…. You’re beautiful. I don’t care what the scale says. You’re beautiful.

redhotwritinghood
    April 4, 2013 at 12:26 am

I want to loose weight so that I can feel sexy and be happy with myself. I want to look good in professional clothes and heels!

Kali
    April 4, 2013 at 12:27 am

Thank you for sharing this :). It is a beautiful post and I can really relate.

ML
    April 4, 2013 at 12:35 am

Love this post Kenlie! You’ve listed so many of the same reasons as to why I want to lose weight. The “seriously compete in at least one race” reason resonates with me. I’ve done 2 triathlons, and while I’m proud of myself for finishing those, I’d really love to get faster and at least be in contention for a top 10 finish in my age group. I believe if I can lose the weight, that will definitely help me in achieving that goal.
    I think I’m going to have to go and do some serious thinking about this topic too, and post mine as well!

Denise Reno
      April 5, 2013 at 9:06 am

Hi Kenlie,
      Thanks so much for sharing this most important subject with us and also giving us the opportunity to answer for ourselves. For me, the reasons are very similar to yours. I’ll also add some of my own.

#1-Not having lumps and bumps when I put on an outfit that is not 2x too big.

#2-Having to settle for a jacket in size 28 because that’s the biggest size they come in.

#3-Being able to sit in chairs that don’t creek when I sit in them.

#4-Being able to judge the right size and style of under garments for your body type (mine are always too big)

#5-I want to fit into my wedding dress in September without alterations

Melinda Wheeler
    April 4, 2013 at 7:18 am

There are serious tears in my eyes after reading this. You got every reason that I started this journey. Except my number one reason was to be healthy. To go to the doctor without being afraid to see the numbers heading towards high blood pressure, diabetes and clogged arteries. My second biggest reason was to be able to look in the mirror and see a reflection of the person I feel like on the inside. I’m getting closer to both goals every day!

April 4, 2013 at 12:42 pm

Actually, that’s listed in the first paragraph…these are *additional* reasons. We are definitely on the same page.

mary
    April 4, 2013 at 9:08 am

i love all your reasons
    and let me add this
    to simply live healthy and not a slave to the food i am addicted to
    xo
    eat to live… not live to eat

Heidi R
    April 4, 2013 at 10:28 am

I agree with everything that you have said in the post. It would be nice to not worry about if a booth at a restaurant will be too small, or having to stress about whether or not I will fit on a ride at Disneyland (which BTW Disney is SUPER size friendly, yet i still stress about it). I too, would enjoy wearing heels, but I can not at this weight because they KILL my feet. I also find myself NEVER wanting to go to the doctor simply because i do not want to get on the scale to have them see that my weight has gone up. I really enjoy your blog and your honesty. Losing weight is not easy, but somehow we WILL get there! 🙂

Brittany
    April 4, 2013 at 10:59 am

I love this post. Losing weight goes so far beyond just being thinner!!

Katie J
    April 4, 2013 at 10:59 am

This is a great list! I love this post and agree 100% thanks so much for sharing!

Amy @ DelightfullyShrinking.com
    April 4, 2013 at 11:34 am

Your list is so inspiring, Kenlie. My niece is turning 2 in June and I have the same wish for her (and my someday kids) as you have for your niece. Also, I really relate to your desk goal. One of mine was fitting into restaurant booths. I hated worrying that I wouldn’t fit between the seat and the table. It was really uncomfortable. I haven’t sat in a classroom desk in many moons, but I have a sinking feeling it’d still be a tight squeeze, hah.

Your site is inspiring. You’ve come a tremendous distance in four years! Imagine what you could do with the next four!

dad
    April 4, 2013 at 12:10 pm

go kid.

dad
    April 4, 2013 at 12:10 pm

go girl.

Robyn
    April 4, 2013 at 4:01 pm

I am working to lose weight for a lot of the same reasons you are, and it would make for some great blog entries as you checked each of those off and wrote about them 🙂 one of my weight loss goals is to be able to cross my legs without feeling uncomfortable…feel like a lady ya know?

Shelley B
      April 4, 2013 at 6:19 pm

I love this idea too!

Diane
    April 4, 2013 at 4:21 pm

Thanks for sharing this personal list! I find you to be an inspiration and thanks for sharing your journey. Maybe you can print this list or post it somewhere you frequent as reminder of why you are doing this when the times seem tough. Keep pushing. You WILL get there!

Amanda
    April 4, 2013 at 5:52 pm

Yes Yes Yes to every single one of these. You go girl!

Deb
    April 4, 2013 at 10:56 pm

I LOVE this list Kenlie, and some of these things are on my list of why I want to lose the weight. High heels, pencil skirts, and being able to say I did it are high up there!

Lisa
    April 4, 2013 at 11:59 pm

Hi! You have a great list of reasons you want to lose weight. I am on the same path as you, but you are way better at it then I am.

I am a Disney Travel agent and I want to let you know you will fit on every single ride in Walt Disney World. I know this is only one of your reasons and it is also a pretty small one, but it is one I can help with. Every single ride, I swear!

Email me at Lisa@PixieandPirateDestinations.com if you have any questions at all. Any! I am here to help!

Lori
    April 5, 2013 at 11:56 am

Kenlie, you have it right. There are so many reasons. And being skinny has nothing to do with my reasons to lose weight. I’ll never be skinny. I have no illusions. And I too have good cholesterol levels and my blood pressure has always been low, but they’re even better when I’m at goal.

My biggest reason for getting in a healthy weight range is because my body aches, my joints feel it when I’m heavy. I regret that a hamstring injury and tendonopathy played a part in me reaching 206. I hadn’t been over 200 since I started Weight Watchers in 2004 just after I gave birth to my daughter. I had plantar fasciitis and had to wear orthotics for a couple of years. I had given up smoking before I got pregnant and gained 20 lbs. Then I got pregnant and gained 32 more. My feet really hurt, just getting out of bed was brutal.

It took me 15 months to lose 45 lbs. When my daughter was 2 years old, I competed in my first sprint triathlon. The Danskin is a great race, by the way, if you are so inclined. All women. No testosterone! I have met Sally Edwards, she’s the spokesperson for Danskin and a Master’s champion Ironman competitor. (I even wore her goggles one year, when I got to the race late and ran to my wave and realized I’d forgotten my goggles! LOL, but that’s another story.)

When I reached my lifetime goal of 157 I was ecstatic! I was smaller than when I got married at age 29 and definitely more fit. I will get there again. Because I’m worth it and so are you.

Oh and by the way, I think you’re beautiful too. I love reading your blog. Awesome job on the weight loss this week.

Sincerely,
    Lori

Diego S
    April 7, 2013 at 3:23 am

I think it’s really helpful to make such a positive list of all the reasons and the motivation why we are doing this. That way, anytime it gets too hard and we want to quit, we will quickly remember all the reasons to keep going.

Carina
    April 8, 2013 at 2:36 pm

That’s an awesome and interesting list.

I’m not presently trying to lose weight, but I will say that I wear heels and nonetheless worry about twisting my ankles, falling, and my feet hurting after 5 minutes (I don’t worry about the heel breaking, but mainly just because I’ve never thought of it). And while I now run at a pace that I used to think of as “fast”, there are still tons of people that are faster than me, and when they suggest going for a run, I still want to define mutual expectations at the outset — is it an easy run for both of us, or is it supposed to be a tempo run for me and an easy run for him/her? For me, the thought of wearing something tight without spanx isn’t even on my radar, and I weigh more than 100 pound actresses who wear them, so I consider that one hopeless for me…

But I try to eat healthily and exercise frequently for many of the reasons you list, primarily so I don’t have health issues, but also to like the look of my body, etc. I really, really liked this post.

Patricia
    April 9, 2013 at 8:37 pm

I agree with all your reasons. Mine is health. I am healthy on paper. My numbers are great. When I weighed 300 lb I need to have a hysterectomy. What was supposed to be a short, routine procedure turned into five hours. Why? Because of my weight. I had to have a bikini incision. All my belly fat hung over the incision area. When I was healing I had a hard time keeping my belly off my scar area. I should have healed in a relatively short time.
    I want the weight off so if I ever need surgery again I will heal quickly.

Lisa
    May 16, 2013 at 6:08 pm

There are a LOT of reason to lose weight and not just visual ones! LOVE your list!

My list was of course vanity first, but second was the fear of diabetes that I was developing, third was the high blood pressure that made me sick. The majority of my motivation to lose 100 pounds was better health and I’m glad it was that. It made me work harder for it!