Baking, Bruises and Bouncing Back

Today is weigh-in day, but I’m out of town so I won’t officially weigh in until next week.  My scale at home told me that I was down almost two pounds, but I know that I can do more than I’m doing.  That will be my goal for the upcoming week.

My brain has been scattered this week, and I know that I need to get more sleep.  I know that my workouts will be longer and more effective if I’m not exhausted, and I won’t make mistakes like I did yesterday.  I’ve been taking the stairs to get to the roof of my tall building (where the gym is,) and my legs were feeling it yesterday.  I stepped onto the treadmill to do inclined intervals, and as I was stepping off, I twisted my ankle a little.  It’s not so bad that I can’t walk, but there’s a bruise just about my ankle bone that is screaming at me today.  I did manage to do some floor exercises too before heading back downstairs to shower and pack.

20130510_170345

Today will be a rest day which should be okay because I’ve planned out my meals.  I’ve been dodging cupcakes more than usual this week, but that’s over for now.  I baked over 100 red velvet cupcakes Monday for a movie themed party (that I did not attend,) and I didn’t eat them.  I didn’t even taste them, but I did receive compliments on them which made me happy.

movies-31

movies-2

(Photos: Courtesy of Graceful Event Productions)

I whipped up a batch of tie dye cupcakes for game night at a friend’s house Tuesday too.  I tried those so I can tell you that they were good.  I didn’t take any with me when I left because I knew that if I didn’t have them, I wouldn’t eat them.  As long as I can stick to that plan I should be okay.

20130514_132425

Baking allows me to feel artistic, but it’s a complicated practice when you’re addicted to sweets.  I don’t eat them nearly as often as I talk about them, but I know that I have to be careful.  I like them too much.

I’m baking a little more often (and on a larger scale) lately, and I’ve given some serious thought to whether or not it’s something I can do.  I haven’t decided yet.  I thought about whether or not I should mention it here too.  I know that by discussing this I’ll be judged harshly by some, but I’m judged by them anyway so why not?   This blog is about my life, and it’s something that I’ve been doing lately.

I also shopped for dresses this week because I am seeing His Holiness the Dalai Lama speak Saturday, and I want to look my best.  I chose two dresses, and I’ll probably definitely post photos on Facebook and Twitter to ask which one I should wear.

It has been a good week, but it has also been long.  And it’s not over yet.  Is anyone else ready for the weekend?  What do you have planned?

Grace @ Grace Dishes
    May 16, 2013 at 11:02 am

Your cupcakes came out beautiful! Great job avoiding temptation.

I love to bake but like you, I have an insatiable sweet tooth. I only bake when it’s for events too so I don’t have it lying around the house 🙂

May 16, 2013 at 2:52 pm

Thanks. I cannot bake and leave it in my house indefinitely. There’s absolutely no way. It doesn’t bother me when they’re spoken for though. 🙂

Brooke: Not On A Diet
    May 16, 2013 at 11:14 am

Yay for cupcakes! 🙂 Baking for me is so therapeutic! I will bake and quickly send it with Mr. B to work. No need to keep all that temptation around.

Can’t wait to see the dresses!!

May 16, 2013 at 2:53 pm

Knowing that you have found a way to reach your incredible goals while enjoying other things like baking shows me that it can totally be done. You rock, lady.

Tracey
    May 16, 2013 at 11:27 am

Cupcakes look beautiful. You have talent with them, I say keep baking! I am not so much of a baker. Chocolate chip cookies is what I make the most often. As for the weekend, I am having a total knee replacement on Friday and it is something I have been trying to get fixed for years. It will be great after the surgery and the healing starts. I will able to walk, bike and do all kinds of other things. 😀

May 16, 2013 at 2:53 pm

Whoa! Best of luck to you in surgery and recovery!

Nina Patricia
    May 16, 2013 at 12:13 pm

The cupcakes look yummy, I think you should really consider it. The one’s for the movie night look like popcorn! People are going to judge no matter what you do, so do as you please.

The Dalai Lama? OMG that sounds amazing.

May 16, 2013 at 2:53 pm

It’s safe to say that I’m pretty excited about the Dalai Lama! =)

Seventies Girl
    May 16, 2013 at 2:46 pm

I think a 2 pound loss would be terrific! Why do you think you should be doing more? A loss of any size with a focused effort is progress. I’m patting myself on the back for a 1 pound loss each week. It feels good to have my head in the game and heading in the right direction. I hate to hear you almost dissing yourself for not “doing more” when clearly you are on program and working your food decisions one moment at a time. Keep up the steady work! You’re doing great!

May 16, 2013 at 2:51 pm

I’m not dissing myself. I’m just acknowledging that I could be doing more. I don’t mean losing more, I mean *doing* more. My workouts have been sloppy and shorter than usual. I’m eating less, but I’m still eating things that I don’t need to eat as often as I’m eating them.

My statement wasn’t about the numbers. I should have clarified that.

ronalda
    May 16, 2013 at 3:12 pm

what is ur recipe for these cupcakes? I myself am a baker but do it on the side to express myself creatively. I also would love to do it full time.

CilleyGirl
    May 16, 2013 at 5:31 pm

Those “popcorn” cupcakes are so cute, what a great idea! I used to bake a lot because I had this horrible won’t-go-away craving for brownies or cookies or whatever — yet I’d end up eating only one and that’d be all I’d want really, but I’d eat more (or all) because I felt obligated to not throw the stuff away. For a time, though, I worked at an office that was almost all male; the engineers were thrilled when I’d bring in all my baked goods for THEM to eat. If you enjoy doing it then do it! And ideally, find somewhere where your efforts will be appreciated — maybe a shop on your street where the workers would love to help you not eat everything you make.

Marie
    May 16, 2013 at 8:26 pm

I am so glad you mentioned your love of baking (and sampling) and being judged. I too, get judged. On TWO levels. I’m diabetic, and post-op RNY, but LOVE to bake and watch people enjoy what I’ve made. Sadly, I like to sample too, and I have to stop. I have an all or nothing mentality, so it’s easier for me to stop baking. Gorgeous cupcakes you made!! Glad you were able to resist temptation!

Amber
    May 17, 2013 at 2:45 am

Kenlie as someone who loves sugary food I thought the year I worked as a baker would be the worst nutritional year of my life. Turns out after the first 2 weeks passed by and I had tried everything I made the novelty wore off and the smell of sugared goods made my stomach turn. Just the fact that I was around it all the time made me not want it.

Kristin
    May 17, 2013 at 2:31 pm

You are so talented!! Your cupcakes are beautiful!! I think that it is ok to have a cupcake once in a while 🙂

Karla
    May 18, 2013 at 6:40 pm

oh wow!!! what an exciting Saturday!!! Once in a lifetime I am thinking!!