Emotions Exercise Reflection weight loss

One Month From Today

My birthday is one month from today, and I’m using that date to set some short-term goals.

I liked the Weight Watchers meeting that I was attending on Thursdays, but I’m no longer an official member because it was silly to pay $40 per month when I wasn’t  committed to going.

I do know the importance of tracking my food and weight so my plan for the next month is to consume 1200 calories per day.  That means that I don’t have a lot of calories to waste so I’ve planned out healthy and delicious meals that will help me stick to my plan.

I’m also committing to  four tough workouts a week over the next over the next four weeks, and it all starts today – right now.

I want to do things differently, and my goal is to create some habits (consistency) over the next month and strive to do the same thing next month.   I don’t know why I depend on food the way that I do, but I do know that eating too much of it, doesn’t give me anything that I need.

There’s nothing keeping me from doing what I need to do for my health, and I’m going to remind myself of this over and over and over.

I’m worth the effort.  I’m worth the effort.  I’m worth the effort.  I’m worth the effort.  I’m worth the effort.   I’m worth the effort.

I’m going to keep repeating that to myself until I believe it again.  There’s no better gift to give myself than a healthy life so over the next thirty days I’m going to strive to do that.  I’ll worry about the rest later.

Heather
    June 5, 2013 at 12:11 am

So I have a question! Why only 1200 calories a day?? I’m doing my fitness pal & I have a plan to lose 1 lb per week & I have to consume 1600 calories a day! Wouldn’t 1200 be way to low! Just curious cause I honestly don’t know!

June 5, 2013 at 1:48 am

I need to lose more than one pound a week because I still have over 100 pounds to lose. I’m trying to create a calorie deficit so I can get things moving again. We all have to do what’s best for us, and I’ll adjust if I need to.

Heather
        June 5, 2013 at 5:38 pm

Oh I see! I didn’t even think about the losing more than one pound a week! I think you will do great!! Can’t wait to see your positive progress at the end of the month!!!!

Betty Taylor
    June 5, 2013 at 1:00 am

I am glad you are still going to be posting. Everyone struggles and sometimes it just helps someone else to know they aren’t the only one. You may be encouraging other people even when you are feeling at your lowest.

June 5, 2013 at 1:49 am

I’d like to believe you’re right, Betty. Thanks for the encouragement.

Reesie
    June 5, 2013 at 7:58 am

Making a plan sounds like a great idea! And I like the idea of small short term goals. It keeps us moving in the right direction no matter what without getting bogged down by our larger goals. Great idea, I want to try this too. Thanks Kenlie!

Lisa
    June 5, 2013 at 8:01 am

I understand your wanting to lose weight more quickly and create a calorie deficit, but just keep in mind that it isn’t ALL calores in calories out. With all the exercise you’re doing, it sounds like 1200 calories a day is really going to be too little. I know you’ve been at this for a while, so this probably won’t be new information for you, but just keep in mind that eating too little can actually cause your body to try and hold on to more calories and fat. Have you ever gone to a nutritionist before? It seems like you are really on track with working out, so maybe just seeing somebody who can help you in the food department is worth a shot.
    But, in the end, if you are eating healthy foods and aren’t feeling hungry, you are probably doing what’s right for your body. =)

June 5, 2013 at 12:02 pm

I think you’re right about the nutritionist, Lisa. I haven’t invested in one because the truth is that I’ve never been committed to eating the way they’ll want me to eat. I know that’s horrible, but it’s true. It’s something that I need to reevaluate…definitely.

Lisa
        June 5, 2013 at 7:53 pm

It might be a good idea to just visit a nutritionist once to hear what his/her opinion is on the best way to fuel your body while trying to lose weight. If it sounds really out of line with what you’re thinking, you certainly don’t have to take the advice or keep going. Every nutritionist will be different, so maybe it is also just a matter of finding one you like (like the WW meetings). And if you’ve never visited one before, how do you know you aren’t willing to eat the way they want you to? Maybe you’ll be pleasantly surprised. good luck!

Erin
    June 5, 2013 at 8:13 am

I agree with Lisa. The way you work out, I’m worried you’re not eating enough. If you do that, you’ll slow your weight loss and metabolism to a crawl…which will just add to your frustration. I know! I’ve done it. My surgeon gave me a calorie count and I undercut it by 200, “just to be safe.” He quickly set me straight. As soon as I stopped trying to be the doctor and did what he told me, I started losing weight again. I’d also recommend consulting with a dietician (or qualified nutritionist…not a random quack 😉 ).

You’re trying to become a healthier you. That will ALWAYS be inspiring. Mistakes and missteps make you human. Be kind to yourself.

Jen B
    June 5, 2013 at 9:45 am

If you want to keep tracking points electronically without paying the WW fees, try the app “ultimate food value diary”. It was a couple of bucks and you can track your food, etc. It even has the scanning capability like the WW app. I’ve been using it for about 6 months and it’s working well!

Good luck!

Sarah
    June 5, 2013 at 11:07 am

Love you Kenlie, but I also agree with some of the comments above. 1200 calories is a deficit that is going to mess with your metabolism and really sabotage your weigh loss efforts. With how much you are rocking your work outs, you are probably starving yourself, which is not a healthy way to loose weight. And it wont be consitent with long term health, which is obviously your goal. I struggled with this same concept for a long, long time. And it may sound counter intuitive but sometimes you really DO need to eat more in order to let your body relax, and release. Just my 2 cents.
    You DO deserve it! You ARE worth the effort! Sending you my love from the mountains of Utah xoxo

Heidi R
    June 5, 2013 at 1:26 pm

Kenlie, I have always thought i needed to lose lots of weight fast too. I also need to lose at least 100 pounds. However, i figure if lost 1 pound a week…. that would be 52 lbs in a year leading to our 100 lb goal in 2 years. I am trying the slow and steady approach. Even though I want the results right now as well. I know how much of a battle and struggle it is. At the end of the day, all we can do is try our best and by the sounds of it, you are doing just that!! You are awesome!

Patricia
    June 5, 2013 at 2:04 pm

Good for you. You will make it through a month. Then the next, and the next. Good Luck. You are an inspiration for all.

JoAnn
    June 5, 2013 at 4:45 pm

Great to set a 30 day goal . Sounds like a you have loads of confidence in your plan. (I’d suggest 1400 calories, though. The extra 200 calories being lean protein, fruit, veggies.)

Wishing you the best,
    JoAnn

Em @ The Fat Girl
    June 5, 2013 at 5:45 pm

Twelve hundred calories a day is so far under what you need it is actively counterproductive. It is setting yourself up for failure.

Amber at Go Kaleo is one of the best evidence-based voices about caloric intake, and I would really, really encourage you to read some of her writing. Just for starters: http://gokaleo.com/2013/03/19/moderation-is-evidence-based/

Em @ The Fat Girl
      June 5, 2013 at 5:51 pm

And here is the other article I was looking for from that site: http://gokaleo.com/2012/09/26/finding-your-ideal-weight/

Lisa
        June 5, 2013 at 8:28 pm

this site is great! I’ve been jumping around reading posts and I just read this one paragraph and thought I have to repost it in response to Kenlie’s decision to eat 1200 calories to lose weight faster.
        “I restricted my calories to just a few hundred less than I burn per day. This was so my body wouldn’t perceive a sudden reduction in calorie intake as famine, and start burning lean mass for fuel in an effort to preserve fat mass. I averaged an intake of 2200-2500 calories a day, I typically burn 2600-3000 calories a day. This kept my metabolism from slowing down. (Important for anyone trying to lose weight! Better to lose it slowly and get to the finish line with a healthy metabolism than to drop weight quickly but kill your metabolism in the process!)”

Brandy
    June 5, 2013 at 7:27 pm

I love the re-committment, I’ve done that more than once as well.

I would caution you about the 1,200 calories, it’s too low for me to have energy to work out and build muscle (which burns more calories!!!), but if you can do it, you’re my hero! I don’t want to seem critical… I just want you to know if you’re always hungry or lacking energy for your workouts, give yourself a break, and eat above your target!

Alyssa
    June 6, 2013 at 12:27 am

🙂 love this…I’m in the same boat.

Anne McElvain
    June 6, 2013 at 2:47 pm

Hi, Kenlie! I echo many of the comments above, based upon my similar experience. My nutritionist (RD +holistic) and boot camp trainer (who has degrees in both exercise physiology and nutrition) both recommended keeping the caloric deficit reasonable, and recommended I consume 1800 calories/day. And have a “cheat day.” Well, I was terrified, since I’d always restricted to 1200, and barely eked out a weight loss. My body responded by acting like my famine was over, and I started losing 1-2 lbs./week with 3 boot camps/week. My choice is to avoid grains, processed foods, sugar and cow dairy. I use red potatoes, brown rice, quinoa and such as my starch options, and goat and sheep dairy for my occasional cheese portions. I can’t cut all the carbs, as I used to: I actually do seem to do better with energy when I eat them. And I have 25-30% of my diet is healthy fats (never go below 20%-that’s the minimum for sustaining bodily functions). It’s a journey, and lots of learning and experimentation. Like you, I’m worth it. (I’ll try the cheat day if my weight loss plateaus.)

Sarah @ Fat Girl Fighting
    June 9, 2013 at 3:56 pm

Good luck, I hope you manage to meet your goal by the time your birthday comes round. 1200 calories, your better than me, I’d never be able to do it. I’d be interested to hear about what you eat.