weight loss

How Much Coffee Do You Drink?

I’ve been sitting in a local coffee shop most of the afternoon, and they offer free refills when you buy a cup of coffee.  I don’t drink it everyday, but I’m quite sure that the four cups I’ve consumed this afternoon is enough for the week.

When I drink coffee, I like to add a tablespoon of skim milk or creamer, but I don’t like anything else in it.  (When I visit Sucre I sometimes have French Macarons with it though.)

Coffee and French Macarons from Sucre

There seems to be an ongoing debate as to whether or not coffee is bad for you, and I’d like to hear your thoughts on it.

Do you drink coffee?  If so, how much do you drink per day?

Christine
    July 30, 2013 at 6:15 pm

I think like anything else, coffee is fine in moderation. But, when I have a bunch on a empty stomach it really screws with my digestive system so I try to only have a cup or two a day and always with a snack or with/right after a meal.

Eric Van De Ven
    July 30, 2013 at 6:39 pm

I rarely drink coffee, and if I do, it is decaf. Then again, I don’t drink anything with caffeine either. If I do drink decaf coffee, instead of milk or cream, I may add some Boost to it.

Whenever I have had coffee, I usually get a wicked headache the next day.

July 31, 2013 at 2:08 pm

Coffee is the only thing that I drink that has caffeine in it, and I don’t drink it everyday. I wouldn’t drink it either if I got a headache. Yikes!

Tammy
    July 30, 2013 at 7:14 pm

I don’t drink coffee, but the macarons sound good!

July 31, 2013 at 2:07 pm

They are. I’m trying to perfect them, but I’ve only made them once so far…They were far from perfect..Ha

Erin
    July 30, 2013 at 8:46 pm

I don’t do caffeine as a post op. Once in a blue moon I’ll get a decaf skinny peppermint mocha from Starbucks. (You know…in December.)

July 31, 2013 at 2:09 pm

Oh gosh…the pumpkin spice lattes are the reason I like coffee at all now, but they’re loaded with calories so I’ll have to say no to that craving most of the time.

Heather B
        August 5, 2013 at 11:51 am

If I remember correctly you can get a pumpkin spice latte in the skinny version for less than 200 calories!!!

Christy
    July 30, 2013 at 9:44 pm

I don’t drink coffee at all. I’ve never liked the taste of it. I drink 1 or 2 ice teas a day for my caffeine.

July 31, 2013 at 2:06 pm

I hadn’t considered iced tea, but I like it too. Great idea!

Bonita Gordita
    July 30, 2013 at 9:53 pm

I drink it daily. It used to be about 3 cups per day, but I realized it aggravated my anxiety. So I switched to decaf or half-caff, and about 1-2 a day. I do love me some coffee.

Right now I add cream to mine, and sometimes coconut oil, too. Usually I’d always drink it black, but since switching to a lower carb/higher fat way of eating, I enjoy the cream.

July 31, 2013 at 2:10 pm

I don’t understand the coconut oil part, but that’s interesting to hear.

Brett
    July 31, 2013 at 1:18 am

I love coffee and drink it every day. About 3 cups. Caffeine is a good appetite suppressant. Of course, as with everything, moderation is always best.

Liz @ The Shrinking Owl
    July 31, 2013 at 7:00 am

I have one 18-ish oz. cup of coffee every morning, with sugar-free Italian Sweet Creme creamer and Splenda.

Samantha
    July 31, 2013 at 9:13 am

It wasn’t until a year or two ago that I started drinking coffee and now I drink way too much. In fact, I noticed that now that I only drink 1 maybe 2 soft drinks a day I am drinking even more coffee.
    And I drink it with skim milk and splenda or cream and splenda which makes it even less healthy. It’s something I realized the last few days and am working on cutting back on too.
    WATER TIME!

Brett
      July 31, 2013 at 10:31 am

Samantha– nobody gained weight drinking coffee (even with ‘cream’). As long as you don’t overdo it–get the shakes, trouble sleeping– coffee is a guilt-free pleasure. Real coffee with skim milk and splenda has about 40 calories, but gives you about 80 calories worth of appetite suppression. Enjoy.

July 31, 2013 at 2:11 pm

I don’t drink sodas at all, but some days I like coffee. I drink water regardless and think it’s a great idea for all of us too. 🙂

Brett
          July 31, 2013 at 6:25 pm

YES! Kenlie is right– water is the #1 key to weight-loss success. I’m jealous of people who love to drink water, I have to force myself.

sarah @makingitmyhome.blogspot.com
      August 1, 2013 at 7:32 pm

I put in chocolate almond milk-i used to use regular chocolate milk but found the chocolate almond milk gives it such great flavor, and its healthier too.

Elizabeth
    July 31, 2013 at 10:37 am

I LOVE coffee. I drink it almost every day. I usually have 2 cups of coffee and a put a spoonful of milk or creamer. Sometimes I add sugar or do flavored coffee creamers. I have read that coffee in moderation is ok, but too much is bad. I don’t know if I could ever give up my coffee! 🙂

July 31, 2013 at 2:12 pm

I could give it up if I had to since I don’t drink it that much, but it sounds like giving it up is unnecessary. I drank too much yesterday though so today needs to be more water focused. 🙂

Sarah
    July 31, 2013 at 12:09 pm

Never liked the taste of coffee – I’m a tea girl! I have one tea a day in the morning with milk only.
    Occasionally when I’m tired I’ll have an ICED coffee as a treat (milk instead of cream) but IMO it’s so sugary you can’t taste the coffee as much 🙂

July 31, 2013 at 2:13 pm

I prefer iced coffee too when I’m drinking it, though I will drink it hot too. I don’t like sugar in it though…I don’t care for the flavor..

Renée (@pinkypie)
    July 31, 2013 at 4:29 pm

Um. I work at a coffee company 🙂 so yeah, I love it 🙂

I mostly drink my coffee black, espresso shots or occasionally I’ll have a latte. Lately I’ve been drinking Iced Kenya. Nom!

August 5, 2013 at 5:17 am

I had an espresso last week and decided that I should have them from time to time…:)

sunny
    July 31, 2013 at 5:12 pm

I literally started drinking coffee after I was introduce to hazelnut creamer 🙂

Since my breakfast each morning is a smoothie I drink on the way to work, I don’t like to have coffee with the smoothie. So an hour or so into my workday, I’ll have a travel mug (2 cups worth) of decaf or half caff with some hazelnut creamer. (used to drink regular then had anxiety and insomnia for a few months this year, so now it’s mostly decaf AND I have to stash the creamer I buy away in a hiding place or it would be gone in a day – coworkers like it as much as I do).

I did discover a local gas station/travel center that has hazelnut coffee in the morning to which I’ll add french vanilla creamer they have in a carafe. unlikely combo but oh so delicious. a weekend treat for me if I don’t get a mocha at starbucks.

Kay
    July 31, 2013 at 5:27 pm

Honey, I live in the Pacific Northwest, specifically WA State. Coffee is our state pastime. Heck, donate blood and it’s part espresso.

I would hazard to guess I drink 4-6 mugs/day. I really do try not to, especially in the late afternoon, because I grind my teeth all night. Seems like when I cut back I don’t do that so much. I have tried to totally quit coffee, but I’m a wimp when it comes to those withdrawal-related migraines.

I don’t think it has a dither to do with my weight gain/loss. Although a nice pastry makes coffee even so-o-o-o much better! As for the good for you-bad for you question, stay tuned. Every few years they change the list.

Jennifer
    July 31, 2013 at 6:17 pm

I love coffee and begin each day with it. Throughout the day I usually have between three and four cups. I wish I could drink it black, but need creamer and sweetener in it. To compound my sins, I also drink caffeinated diet drinks. I couldn’t stick with a diet without these two friends!

Cathy
    July 31, 2013 at 6:21 pm

Coffee every morning. First thing. Should be the second thing (apparently water should be the first thing in your system in the morning to wake up your digestive system) but I haven’t retrained myself yet. OK, I haven’t even tried. Anyway, a 16-20 oz. travel mug with two Splenda and a splash of creamer. Needs to taste like dessert.

sunny
      August 1, 2013 at 9:33 am

Well said, Cathy. “Needs to taste like dessert.”

🙂

Charl
    August 1, 2013 at 4:44 am

On the pro coffee side, I heard of a recent study which indicated that strong Greek coffee may be a contributing factor in longevity (it’s also very cleansing – but not if you drink it..). On the negative side, coffee is highly acidifying, which is apparently bad for us. I go for the middle way, I enjoy a coffee occasionally, so I have one once or twice a week.

Sarah@makingitmyhome.blogspot.com
    August 1, 2013 at 3:54 pm

I used to drink coffee or an iced coffee multiple times a day but have recently dropped down to one cup in the morning, maybe two on rare occasions. I have reduced the amount of times I will drive through honey dew to get a coffee lately, and in the past month have not bought a coffee ( one of my 101 in 1001 goals)

Marie H
    August 1, 2013 at 7:07 pm

I drink WAY too much coffee. If I’m not making a Fit Frappe Espresso, it’s usually an FF Mocha. Coffee is the elixir of life, after all!

timothy
    August 2, 2013 at 8:03 am

I’ve NEVER drank coffee, I was a diet soda addict for 20 years but i’m happy to say I got off the soda train 3 months ago. I drink crystal light or water now.

Jen
    August 2, 2013 at 8:24 pm

I’ve never liked coffee, but LOVE the smell of it! I used to drink quite a bit diet soda, but have recently cut that out as a part of my “re-start”. I’m thinking of trying tea occasionally in the winter, but mostly I’ll just stick with water!

August 5, 2013 at 5:19 am

I have loved the smell of coffee for years, but I just started to love the taste in the last several months…I love tea too, especially cinnamon.

Sarah S
    August 2, 2013 at 9:07 pm

I’ve never been a fan of coffee.
    Come over to mine for a cup of proper British tea – Ill even make scones for you 🙂

August 5, 2013 at 5:20 am

That’s going to happen, Queen Sarah!

Ruth
    August 4, 2013 at 11:19 am

I drink one cup of coffee a day with skim milk. During the week, no sweetener when I make it at work but over the weekend my husband puts some truvia in it.

I agree, moderation is key. And water, lots of water.

PS Kenlie, I’ve been reading your blog for years but today was the first time I’ve been inspired to comment so Hi and thanks for being an inspiration. I have 100lbs to lose and I’m just getting started.

August 5, 2013 at 5:20 am

I’m so glad you commented today. Thank you, and hi! =)

Heather@YSP
    August 6, 2013 at 9:18 am

I start every day with a 16oz travel mug of coffee with a teaspoon of maple syrup and a splash of whatever milk/cream I have in the house. On super tired days, I sometimes have a second (or, very rarely, even a third) cup sometime in the late morning. I never do it after 2pm though. I have a theory that it messes with my sleep then, although that remains unproven.

Lauren
    August 14, 2013 at 2:58 pm

Oh, coffee.

I’ve definitely read about health benefits, specifically around reduction of Parkinson’s disease, increased physical and cognitive abilities, and reduction of dementia. But, it also has draw backs of increasing the stress hormone in your body and messing with a healthy sleep cycle. I try to only have a few cups a day and I go at least once a week caffeine free so that I don’t get headaches or anything when I go without.

Brett
      August 14, 2013 at 5:54 pm

That’s a good idea, thanks.