weight loss

10,000 Steps A Day? Okay…

It’s finals week for me (which seems so wrong in the summer,) and I’ve been concentrating on making it through to Friday.

I’m officially in Week 2 of the Omron Pedometer Mamavation 10,000 Steps a Day Challenge  which runs through the month of August, and I’m as excited as I was on Day One.  If we’re connected on Facebook, Twitter and/or Instagram, then you may already know that my goal is to walk 10,000 steps per day every day this month.  If we’re not connected, let’s change that.  Say hi, and I’ll say hi back. 🙂

On the first day of the challenge, I walked over 16,000 steps, and I felt great about it.  I went for a 3.5 mile walk around my neighborhood which helped me reach my goal in the afternoon, and of course, I walked throughout the day as well.

Omron Pedometer Mamavation Day 1

My personal record so far happened a few days ago when I walked over 20,000 steps.  I took a midnight stroll through City Park with friends, and my feet hit the pavement the following morning.  I can’t really express how awesome it feels to accomplish things that I thought would be extremely difficult.

Omron Pedometer Mamavation Day 6

Last night I clocked in at just over 11,000 steps, and I’m proud of that number even though it’s not as high as some days.  I was so close to 10,000 in the afternoon that I stood up during a meeting that I was in and walked across the room and back so I could hit my goal. It was silly to walk across a crowded room just to hit my goal, but it was important to me so I did it.

Omron Pedometer Challenge Mamavation

I’ll write an official post about my thoughts on the pedometer near the end of the challenge, but I have to say that I’ve loved this challenge so far.  It has allowed me to refocus, and it pushes me to reach the goals I set daily.  My eating habits have improved too because after a 3 to 5 mile walk, I think twice about eating junk food.

I’ve been under stress lately, and I need more sleep.  I need to make time for grocery shopping, and I need to drink more water. There’s always room for improvement, but right now I am happy and feeling good about reaching the goals I set.

I know many of you track your food intake, but do you track your fitness?  If so, how?  Does it make you more successful?

JenB
    August 8, 2013 at 8:51 am

I’ve tracked my fitness (and my steps *Ü*) for over eight years now. I’ve got it all in an excel file, I can tell you how many steps, which workouts (treadmill, elliptical, bike, walking outside).

I’ve got an Omron too (different than yours), and also a Fitbit. I love the Fitbit because it gives you a visual graph of your day. You can SEE your activity spike with a workout. It also tracks sleep … I’ve been recording that lately to watch for trends.

I’ve actually just barely started tracking calories (mid May 2013) … exercise alone was not cutting it for me.

Patty
    August 8, 2013 at 9:39 am

Congrats on a great challenge! I used to track my steps on a pedometer but I haven’t in a long time. I do trak my workouts with a heart rate monitor and it does help. Especially when it comes to eat junk food. I should take out my old pedometer and track steps too. Thanks for the motivation! Keep up the great work!

Andrea
    August 9, 2013 at 12:38 am

I use the WeightWatchers ActiveLink and I really love it. I love that you have to get to a baseline before it starts awarding points. The baseline is pretty hefty, too – about 10,000 steps for me. My first ActiveLink challenge was to get to Baseline, which is Zero Points. Yup, they gave me a twelve week challenge to work up to zero points. It was tough. I am up to walking six miles now, though, and I zoom past baseline and typically earn 7 points a day. Some people earn a couple times that, but I am happy with 7 for now.

Renee @pinkypie
    August 9, 2013 at 2:10 am

You know me, I’m a tracker! I am such a numbers nerd and love charts and graphs and analysing activities. I track most of my cycling on endomondo, my running and gym on Garmin, and am unashamed to admit I’m addicted to my fitbit. I totally will walk back and forth in a room to get to my goal! I think using these tools is most likely why I’ve maintained my weight loss s far, I’m just struggling to figure out how I can ever lose weight again. Even on days I don’t track food, you will find me still tracking activity!

Heather@YSP
    August 9, 2013 at 11:01 am

You are a TOTAL rockstar. Thanks for inspiring me to get my steps in too.

Carina
    August 9, 2013 at 4:52 pm

I wear a Garmin on all my runs, and have for a couple years, so all that data is tracked on the garmin website where it uploads. Before I got my garmin, I have nearly a decade’s worth of hard copy running logs. Since I’ve lived in the same city for more than a decade, there are a few dozen routes I’ve repeated many times, so I can easily compare times on those routes. My garmin also tracks weather, so it’s fun to see how that affects speed.

Sarah S
    August 9, 2013 at 6:12 pm

You are doing really well, I think you need to move closer to me and motivate me to get my fat arse off the couch!! I haven’t hit 10,000 steps once this week yet 🙁
    Keep up the good work

timothy
    August 10, 2013 at 10:27 am

it keeps my aware of what I do or don’t do, so I do recommend it. and I’ve been trying to keep to 10,000 steps for about 6 months now. I usually do it on days I work but I only make about 6400 on my off days and that’s ok as long as I keep my carbs low on those days. I actually like seeing that 10,000 show up it makes you feel like you accomplished something doesn’t it!

Tracy
    August 12, 2013 at 4:52 pm

I’ve been doing my best to get as close to 10,000 steps every day in August as I can – but with my pain and my weight it’s hard! I’ve managed some days at over 6,000 steps and have had to take 2 or 3 days to rest just because the pain’s that bad because I’m not used to walking this much!

Re: tracking, I use mapmyfitness to track my walks, although it never seems to catch my GPS (dear phone: WORK PROPERLY) so it’s probably a little bit off, and Renée (lowfatpie.com/blog / @pinkypie) was kind enough to send me a pedometer she got from Fitbloggin’ that she wasn’t in need of, so that covers me for counting my steps!

It’s amazing how quickly the steps mount up, isn’t it? And amazing how much better you feel during/after a good walk…

sunny
    August 15, 2013 at 11:03 am

You’re doing so well! Thanks for sharing the successes!!

A few years ago I tracked my workouts with a pen and paper (a big flylady.net calendar that has big boxes for each day). I’d record the mileage I walked each day.

I’m task/goal oriented, so I had the goal of putting some mileage down on my calendar at least 4 days a week.

I love numbers and tracking my workouts (eating is focusing on fresh foods as much as possible and eating “real” foods with five or fewer ingredients, and splurging once in awhile).

Now I want to try some of these tracking methods others mentioned here!

Fitbit love! | Triathlon-My-Ass-Along
    August 28, 2013 at 9:25 pm

[…] step challenge has made me focus more on getting my own steps in. So once again, I’ve been wearing my Fitbit […]